Jump to content

Santa Marty's Blog

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    4
  • comments
    42
  • views
    1,141

Declining Requests

Santa Marty

Viewed: 901 times

As you begin your bookings for the season I would like to offer some suggestions when finding yourself unable to accept a request.

As a reminder, when declining a prospective clients request be sure to do the following:

1.  Express your thankfulness for their request.

2.  Tell them you are honored that they requested you.

3.  If it's a residential request, express being humbled that they have offered to open their home to you.

4.  Include your regrets that you will not be able to be a part of their Christmas celebrations this season.

5.  Tell them why you must decline.

6.  Don't be cocky or flippant in your communications. Be polite.

I am sure you can tailor these suggestions to fit your own personality.  But don't discourage them from seeking your SANTA presence in the future.  

Declining, is also part of your marketing.

 

Just my thoughts 

  • Like 4


9 Comments


Recommended Comments

SCSanta

Posted

Good advice. After all...many professional Santas turn down more requests than they actually book.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Felix Estridge

Posted

Very good, sensible advice.  I would like to add to, if at all possible, offer to do what you can to help them locate another Santa.  I can do that because the Lone Star Santas has a Find-a-Santa resource to which we can refer them.  They will remember that you put forth that effort and might come back to you again even if they do find another Santa. 

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
Schwindy

Posted

10 hours ago, SCSanta said:

Good advice. After all...many professional Santas turn down more requests than they actually book.

 

8 hours ago, Santa Marty said:

TY SC

 

5 hours ago, Felix Estridge said:

Very good, sensible advice.  I would like to add to, if at all possible, offer to do what you can to help them locate another Santa.  I can do that because the Lone Star Santas has a Find-a-Santa resource to which we can refer them.  They will remember that you put forth that effort and might come back to you again even if they do find another Santa. 

To ALL whom have added to Marty's posting, as well as a question to Marty:

   I have a question to ask, PLEASE understand I DON'T DO THIS like you all do and I am truly trying to learn something here. Why would you not also explain how long ago the date(s) they are requesting was booked? This way it might help them understand how good you are and the demand for your services are. That when they are looking for a Santa it should be an early thought, not a last minute thing. This being said, is it no politically correct to do so, does it make you (me actually as this is what I did) look like your being too cocky or boasting how long ago I was booked up?

  As I think you guys know, I don't do this EVEN PT compared to what and how you guys do it, So I am wondering if I made myself look worst in their eyes by doing so. And as you all know the weekends in December are far MORE than precious and typically the first days to go. So have I made a mistake explaining how quickly the 3rd & 4th booked up as well as the 10th & 11th? 
   Because of my MS, I have told everyone that the 17th & 18th I AM OFF and taking NO gigs, so I can recover & still enjoy the Christmas events with my family and friends from December 24th through the 1st of January. Thanks in advance as I believe this may be one of those learning curves I need to learn ........ maybe?!  
:sc_blush:

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
SCSanta

Posted

8 hours ago, Schwindy said:

To ALL whom have added to Marty's posting, as well as a question to Marty:

   I have a question to ask, PLEASE understand I DON'T DO THIS like you all do and I am truly trying to learn something here. Why would you not also explain how long ago the date(s) they are requesting was booked? This way it might help them understand how good you are and the demand for your services are. That when they are looking for a Santa it should be an early thought, not a last minute thing. This being said, is it no politically correct to do so, does it make you (me actually as this is what I did) look like your being too cocky or boasting how long ago I was booked up?

  As I think you guys know, I don't do this EVEN PT compared to what and how you guys do it, So I am wondering if I made myself look worst in their eyes by doing so. And as you all know the weekends in December are far MORE than precious and typically the first days to go. So have I made a mistake explaining how quickly the 3rd & 4th booked up as well as the 10th & 11th? 
   Because of my MS, I have told everyone that the 17th & 18th I AM OFF and taking NO gigs, so I can recover & still enjoy the Christmas events with my family and friends from December 24th through the 1st of January. Thanks in advance as I believe this may be one of those learning curves I need to learn ........ maybe?!  
:sc_blush:

I absolutely will let late inquiries know how early in advance requests for prime calendar slots come in. Often, they will come right out and ask. (I have a Saturday client this year that put in their request last November) Of course there are a couple of ways of approaching this. One is very apologetic and encouraging for next year. "I'm so sorry...those weekend slots fill up pretty early...usually by late summer. I hope you will consider me for next Christmas...I start taking requests on May 1st". The other could come across as braggadocious..."A little late aren't you...do you have any idea how early in advance I am booked?" 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Schwindy

Posted

15 hours ago, SCSanta said:

I absolutely will let late inquiries know how early in advance requests for prime calendar slots come in. Often, they will come right out and ask. (I have a Saturday client this year that put in their request last November) Of course there are a couple of ways of approaching this. One is very apologetic and encouraging for next year. "I'm so sorry...those weekend slots fill up pretty early...usually by late summer. I hope you will consider me for next Christmas...I start taking requests on May 1st". The other could come across as braggadocious..."A little late aren't you...do you have any idea how early in advance I am booked?" 

OK Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Santa Marty

Posted (edited)

Schwindy

My apologies, I didn't see this question until about 6 months later.  Thanks to FELIX & SC as they have party much summed it up, and I believe you can see, your response can be a double edge sword.

 

Edited by Santa Marty

Share this comment


Link to comment
Schwindy

Posted

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, Santa Marty said:

Schwindy

My apologies, I didn't see this question until about 6 months later.  Thanks to FELIX & SC as they have party much summed it up, and I believe you can see, your response can be a double edge sword.

 

Yea, yea, Yada, yada Schwindy........... I guess it's time to answer him ....... what's the question again! :P No biggie and I didn't take it any other way other than you agreed with them!

Peace & Love Marty!

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Steelwheels

Posted

I may be vague on #5 this season. I'm going to intentionally do fewer events this season and do them better, but I wouldn't say that to a potential client.

Share this comment


Link to comment
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact


© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.
×
×
  • Create New...