Eileen Strom

Nobel Peace Prize

Eileen Strom

Woke up to the news that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given to none other than our own Imperial Leader of the world himself. That makes in my opinion, TWO of the worst Presidents that our nation has had, now receiving one. But then, in my lifetime (50 yrs), I can only actually think of about 2 or 3 individuals who have received it (Lech Walesa being one of them), that actually deserved it and the meaning behind it. Lately, again in my opinion, it has become almost a joke in who it has been bestowed upon. And this proves it!! :sc_rasberry:

Michael Rielly

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize to mixed reviews

EXCERPT:

Reuters

By Wojciech Moskwa and Matt Spetalnick

October 9, 2009

OSLO/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for offering the world hope and striving for nuclear disarmament in a surprise award that drew both warm praise and sharp criticism.

The bestowal of one of the world's top accolades on a president less than nine months in office, who has yet to score a major foreign policy success, was greeted with gasps of astonishment from journalists at the announcement in Oslo.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Obama for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.

Critics -- some in parts of the Arab and Muslim world -- called the committee decision premature.

"Very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said in a citation.

Despite problems at home that include high unemployment, the U.S. president is still widely seen around the world as an inspirational figure.

While the award won praise from such statesmen as Nelson Mandela and Mikhail Gorbachev, both Nobel laureates, it was also attacked in some quarters as hasty and undeserved.

Afghanistan's Taliban mocked the award, saying Obama should get a Nobel prize for violence instead.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said it was absurd to give a peace award to a man who had sent 21,000 extra troops to Afghanistan to escalate a war.

"The Nobel prize for peace? Obama should have won the 'Nobel Prize for escalating violence and killing civilians'," he told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location.

Obama is considering a request from his top commander in Afghanistan to send him at least 40,000 more troops.

The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip and opposes a peace treaty with Israel, said the award was premature at best.

EMBARRASSING "JOKE"

Obama is the fourth U.S. president to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize after Jimmy Carter won in 2002, Woodrow Wilson picked it up in 1919 and Theodore Roosevelt was chosen for the 1906 prize.

Issam al-Khazraji, a day laborer in Baghdad, said of Obama: "He doesn't deserve this prize. All these problems -- Iraq, Afghanistan -- have not been solved . . . man of 'change' hasn't changed anything yet."

Liaqat Baluch, a senior leader of the Jamaat-e-Islami, a conservative religious party in Pakistan, called the award an embarrassing "joke".

But the chief Palestinian peace negotiator, Saeb Erekat, welcomed it and expressed hope that Obama "will be able to achieve peace in the Middle East."

SOURCE

Michael Rielly

Actually, it wasn't really a surprise to me. I am more surprised that he was awarded it before the election!

Santa-MD

I think I'll just bite my fingers about this waste of time.

JanaBanana

Good golly DOES IT EVER END! Please let me wake up from this nightmare! :thumbdown::angry:

Santa-MD
Good golly DOES IT EVER END! Please let me wake up from this nightmare! :thumbdown::angry:

Very true... how does this edify Santa, or in any way show Santa's heart?!?!?!?!?

I am TIRING very quickly of the pointless ugliness here over the past week or so.

Michael Rielly
Very true... how does this edify Santa, or in any way show Santa's heart?!?!?!?!?

I am TIRING very quickly of the pointless ugliness here over the past week or so.

I hardly think Jana's comment qualifies as "pointless ugliness".

Santa-MD
I hardly think Jana's. . .

:P Funny guy, Mike. :D

Edited by Santa-MD

Michael Rielly
:P Funny guy, Mike. :D

That's not what I posted. And BTW, editing another member's post in a quote is a violation of the forum rules.

Eileen Strom

I agree with Mike - I am not surprised he didn't get it on January 20th, 2009

Debra Ann

Congratulations to U.S. President Obama !

Remember, he actually was VOTED into office....

Michael Rielly

Congratulations to U.S. President Obama !

Remember, he actually was VOTED into office....

More than once! :rolleyes:

Santa Spice
That's not what I posted. And BTW, editing another member's post in a quote is a violation of the forum rules.

where do we find these rules??? I was just looking and don't see where they are listed.

Thanks

Santa Rob Figley

I see by the thread title that the two worst Presidents of the US had received a Nobel Prize. However, I see where neither Bush has won one.

Now, can we stop this pointless political discussion? It only leads to infighting and making us all look bad.

Santa Spice
where do we find these rules??? I was just looking and don't see where they are listed.

Thanks

well, I finally found them. thanks. I thought I had heard it said that politics was not allowed on ClausNET, but in finding and reading the rules, I did not find it, so I must have been wrong.

Since politics must be allowed, let me say that IMHO I think that the Peace award being given to Obama is a horrible mistake. That man has not done one thing to earn it and the value of that award is now forever tarnished. He has embarrassed the US by going around the world and apologizing for our actions. He will go down as the worst President ever.

Debra Ann
well, I finally found them. thanks. I thought I had heard it said that politics was not allowed on ClausNET, but in finding and reading the rules, I did not find it, so I must have been wrong.

Since politics must be allowed, let me say that IMHO I think that the Peace award being given to Obama is a horrible mistake. That man has not done one thing to earn it and the value of that award is now forever tarnished. He has embarrassed the US by going around the world and apologizing for our actions. He will go down as the worst President ever.

"OUCH !!"

Michael Rielly

Okay gang. Let's not get into a political debate here. There are plenty of political forums Right and Left to visit for that.

Santa Spice
Okay gang. Let's not get into a political debate here. There are plenty of political forums Right and Left to visit for that.

Santa Mike, this is one more time that I do agree with you. As I said earlier, I was not going to reply because I thought it was against the rules. but since it wasn't I did reply. I would rather see the rules amended to exclude politics. But it is your site, so I leave that to you. I hope you know that I think you do a great job with this site. The other topic going on now is the only time I have strongly disagreed with you.

Michael Rielly
Santa Mike, this is one more time that I do agree with you. As I said earlier, I was not going to reply because I thought it was against the rules. but since it wasn't I did reply. I would rather see the rules amended to exclude politics. But it is your site, so I leave that to you. I hope you know that I think you do a great job with this site. The other topic going on now is the only time I have strongly disagreed with you.

I have very Liberal friends and Very Conservative friends. I have hard core Libertarian friends. I agree with all on some things.

I would like to keep politics off this site as it will always break down into name calling and poor behavior. As we have seen from the activity of the past few days we can all get a little carried away.

As for the other post, I will reply there.

Laffo

Can we lock this? So far the discussion in this thread doesn't make anyone look intelligent.

Any response other than a kneejerk Us Vs. Them would have surprised me at this point, but alas, it's not to be.

You cannot condemn someone for winning a Prize. He did not lobby for the Honor. There is a post earlier in the thread that supports that. The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES - do you people see that title, whether you like it or not - himself said:

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled, by the decision of the Nobel Committee, let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people of all nations.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize. Me and women who have inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build. A world that gives life to the promise of our Founding documents."

This is not the first time a Nobel Prize has stirred controversy or has been awarded to an Individual for their potential actions. It is a matter of History folks, readily available for YOU to read.

You cannot onone hand claim "He's done nothing to deserve it" and also claim to be "One of the Worst Presidents" less than a year into his term. Poor logic at best.

"I can only actually think of about 2 or 3 individuals who have received it (Lech Walesa being one of them)"

You may want to do a little research on Lech. I admire the Man greatly, but he is not the Altar Boy you'd like to think he is.

from Wikipedia:

"Since the fall of communism in 1989 several former colleagues and political opponents of Walesa (including Anna Walentynowicz[17], Andrzej Gwiazda[17] and current president of Poland Lech Kaczynski[18]) accused him of being a secret informer of the Polish communist secret police - Służba Bezpieczeństwa in the early 1970s under the codename "Bolek". This claim, along with testimonies and corresponding documents were featured in documentary films Nocna zmiana and Plusy dodatnie, plusy ujemne. Three books covering the issue were published: Sprawa Lecha Wałęsy (2008), Lech Wałęsa. Idea i historia (2009) and SB a Lech Wałęsa. Przyczynek do biografii[19] (2008).

The last of the three, written by historians from the Institute of National Remembrance (IPN), Sławomir Cenckiewicz and Piotr Gontarczyk, received substantial coverage in the media and provoked a hot nationwide debate. It includes documents as well as witness testimonies and focuses on the history of the documents which disappeared from Wałęsa's archived UB files in the early 90's, when Wałęsa twice had access to them during his presidency. According to the authors, after Wałęsa returned the file, some documents were missing. Wałęsa confirmed seeing the documents but denied having taken them. The book is seen as highly controversial. Some[who?] historians criticized it on the basis that the evidence provided is unclear. Others accused it of defaming a hero's reputation.[20]

Infuriated by the resurgence of the accusations in March 2009, Wałęsa announced that he would not take part in ceremonies commemorating the 20th anniversary of the fall of Communism, and if accusations continue, he would first return all his decorations, then leave Poland altogether.[21]"

Mother Theresa? Grand, Incredible, Selfless Woman and her Diaries are some of the most critical examinations of Faith and personal relationships with God ever written. Did you know that?

From: Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light - The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta

“If I ever become a Saint—I will surely be one of “darkness.” I will continually be absent from Heaven—to lit the light of those in darkness on earth .”

—Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Both of these people richly deserved the award, but be very careful to not confuse an arbitrary decision by a 3rd Party Committee with the Person.

Did he deserve it? Not now, maybe not ever, he himself said that - but cheering for ANY American Leader to fail on the World Stage is Shameful.

From a group that has some time on their hands enough to post, maybe a little reading is in order.

Thank you very much.

You Salute the Rank not the Man.

Bashing Bush was as Un -American as cheering for Obama to fail.

Laffo.

Santa-MD

Well, Laffo,

I guess no one gave the surprise of a reasoned balanced post so that you could come in and show how it's done. :D

Laffo

I'm just saying.

Some of the statements made lately on this Forum are incredible.

This:

"I can only actually think of about 2 or 3 individuals who have received it (Lech Walesa being one of them), that actually deserved it and the meaning behind it."

When:

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

Boggles my Mind. People have such Anger and Animosity towards someone or event with no real knowledge of the subject, I guess I don't get it. Have Talk Radio and Pundits and 24 Hour Media convinced you this is the way the Democratic Process works? The Person who yells insults long and loud enough is the most correct? The truth is only convenient when it suits your purpose? Morality is only acceptable if it ascribes to your beliefs? If so, we have a problem. You work to change the things you feel are wrong through hard discussion, grass roots organization, transparency and fair play, as ignorance and petulance are tools of Children.

I suppose the thread title is a veiled reference to Jimmy Carter. Since only 4 U.S Presidents have won the Nobel Prize, and I'm pretty sure Woodrow Wilson is a stretch as far as the topic goes. We haven't had worse Presidents than Carter or the Freshman Obama have we? Ulysses S. Grant, Franklin Pierce, Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan and Warren Harding, who by the way SAID, "I am not fit for this office and should never have been here," shouldn't be considered for the title.

I would rather have a level headed, open minded, open hearted, intelligent Santa of ANY FAITH or NO FAITH have my Child on his knee, than someone consumed, infuriated and irate with differing political views or religious dogmas, but being a Christian, have anything to do with my Child. I'm tired, tired, tired of seeing People justify poor actions, and shabby treatment of others with their Faith. Whatever the faith - It's a shame.

Laffo.

Santa Rob Figley
I would rather have a level headed, open minded, open hearted, intelligent Santa of ANY FAITH or NO FAITH have my Child on his knee, than someone consumed, infuriated and irate with differing political views or religious dogmas, but being a Christian, have anything to do with my Child. I'm tired, tired, tired of seeing People justify poor actions, and shabby treatment of others with their Faith. Whatever the faith - It's a shame.

Laffo.

Right On!

Laffo

I'm off the Soapbox. Thanks.

Laffo.