Eileen Strom

Nobel Peace Prize

Santa James Branum

I will say this on the subject then I will shut up:

The man was elected by the people of these Untied States to be the president and lead the country. I will therefore respect his office and not sling mud or call him names. The man has stepped up to the plate and is attempting to do the job he was asked to do. If when time comes for elections I do not like what he is or has done during his time in office I will then exercise my right as a citizen to vote for someone else. This is how our system works. We don't change a thing by slinging mud or calling names we change things by VOTING the way our hearts lead us and then respecting the outcome of that vote and working together to improve our circumstances. Why does that seem to be so hard in this country?

SantaSteve

Normally I would stay out of any political debate however

the awarding of Obama this honour is a recognition from the international comunity and show how the International comunity looks at the USA since Obama's election

as an Australian we see little of your internal politics as I am sure the same is with Australian internal politics to you guys but the election of Obama was seen very favorably by the international comunity towards the States

Debra Ann

the awarding of Obama this honour is a recognition from the international comunity and show how the International comunity looks at the USA since Obama's election

as an Australian we see little of your internal politics as I am sure the same is with Australian internal politics to you guys but the election of Obama was seen very favorably by the international comunity towards the States

Thanks, Santa Steve, for that very positive post.

Laffo

And there's the understanding I speak of. Steve's not from the U.S. That speaks volumes.

Laffo.

Elf Kevin

with a prize package of 1.4 million and all going to charity not all can be bad , good for him.

Santa Stewart

One wonderers!Who was second on the list!

Gator Claus

I didn't vote for our current President because I didn't like his connections to certain radical people, nor did I think he had enough experience to lead our country. The alternative wasn't anything to speak of either. What is rather sad is that we really don't seem to have anyone on the horizon from either political party to lead us in the future. Hopefully we will have something left of this country when it comes time to elect a new president and we aren't all praying to Allah and still speaking English. For all those who did vote for the current President, I am reminded of Dr. Phil's famous question, "How's that working for you, now?"

Laffo
I Hopefully we will have something left of this country when it comes time to elect a new president and we aren't all praying to Allah and still speaking English. For all those who did vote for the current President, I am reminded of Dr. Phil's famous question, "How's that working for you, now?"

Why don't we assess the Obama Administration at the end of the term, just as the Bush Administration should be assessed?

We get it. You don't like the President. Veiled Racial Slurs and Religious Intolerance are uncalled for.

If this, "we aren't all praying to Allah and still speaking English" is something other than that, please clear it up.

Not every American speaks English or prays to Jesus Christ and that is their CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED RIGHT. Since the undeniable credentials of Constitutional Scholar Dr. Phil have been summoned and that bell rung, let me bring some other "experts" into the discussion concerning Government and Religion...

Benjamin Franklin

"I think vital religion has always suffered when orthodoxy is more regarded than virtue. The scriptures assure me that at the last day we shall not be examined on what we thought but what we did." --- Letter to his father, 1738

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --- From "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity."--- Benjamin Franklin, Works, Vol. VII, p. 75"

If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell into the practice themselves both there (England) and in New England."

John Adams

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" --- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved--the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!" --- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson

"What havoc has been made of books through every century of the Christian era? Where are fifty gospels, condemned as spurious by the bull of Pope Gelasius? Where are the forty wagon-loads of Hebrew manuscripts burned in France, by order of another pope, because suspected of heresy? Remember the 'index expurgatorius', the inquisition, the stake, the axe, the halter and the guillotine." --- John Adams, letter to John Taylor

"The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning. And ever since the Reformation, when or where has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate A FREE INQUIRY? The blackest billingsgate, the most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahooish brutality, is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated, and applauded. But touch a solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will find you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your eyes and hand, and fly into your face and eyes." --- John Adams, letter to John Taylor

Thomas Jefferson

"The clergy...believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion." --Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush, 1800. "In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose." --- Thomas Jefferson, to Horatio Spafford, March 17, 1814

"But a short time elapsed after the death of the great reformer of the Jewish religion, before his principles were departed from by those who professed to be his special servants, and perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind, and aggrandizing their oppressors in Church and State." --- Thomas Jefferson to S. Kercheval, 1810

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." --- Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling, fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind." --- Thomas Jefferson to Carey, 1816

"But the greatest of all reformers of the depraved religion of his own country, was Jesus of Nazareth. Abstracting what is really his from the rubbish in which it is buried, easily distinguished by its lustre from the dross of his biographers, and as separable from that as the diamond from the dunghill, we have the outlines of a system of the most sublime morality which has ever fallen from the lips of man. The establishment of the innocent and genuine character of this benevolent morality, and the rescuing it from the imputation of imposture, which has resulted from artificial systems, invented by ultra-Christian sects (The immaculate conception of Jesus, his deification, the creation of the world by him, his miraculous powers, his resurrection and visible ascension, his corporeal presence in the Eucharist, the Trinity; original sin, atonement, regeneration, election, orders of the Hierarchy, etc.) is a most desirable object." --- Thomas Jefferson to W. Short, Oct. 31, 1819

James Madison

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

And finally this highly rated Talk Show Host with 100% market share in his time slot:

George Washington's Farewell Address to the Nation

September 26, 1796

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports."

He considered religion a matter of policy. A few lines farther on in the same paragraph, he states,

"Let it simply be asked, where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion."

How's that working out for YOU now?

Laffo.

Edited by Laffo

Laffo
One wonderers!Who was second on the list!

I'm going to start using this:

"Who was second on the List?'

------

But anyway:

"Due to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, lists of nominations are held for 50 years, so the official list of the Nobel Peace Prize Nominees for 2009 will not be available until at least 2059.

In 2009 there were 205 names submitted for the Nobel Peace Prize; 33 of them were organizations. This was the highest number of nominations in the history of the prize.

People are welcome to explore the Nominations Database from 1901 to 1956 (not up to 1959 though), but we will not know the full list of 2009's nominations until about 50 years from now.

A five member Nobel Committee, whose members are chosen by the Norwegian parliament, examines the nominations and creates a shortlist of 5-20 candidates. After further examination of the candidates by a group of academics who are the Nobel Institute's permanent advisers, the committee selects the final winner.[2]

Source: en.wikipedia.org

There have been some names released of the 2009 nominees however.

This included Colombia Senator Piedad Cordoba, Sima Samar, Chinese dissident Hu Jia, and Prime Minister of Zimbabwe Morgan Tsvangirai.

Other nominees are believed to be French President Nicholas Sarkozy, Ingrid Betancourt, the Cluster Munitions Coalition, Zivko Popovski-Cvetin, SOS-Kinderedorf International, Greg Mortenson, Thich Quang Do and Pete Seeger."

This is all Public Knowledge and a matter of readily available History.

Laffo.

Edited by Laffo

Santa Rob Figley
Since the undeniable credentials of Constitutional Scholar Dr. Phil have been summoned and that bell rung, let me bring some other "experts" into the discussion concerning Government and Religion...

I would offer my favorite...

Abraham Lincoln:

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."

Edited by Santa Rob Figley

Gator Claus

"Laffo," there was no "veiled racial slur" or "religious intolerance" intended. I'm a 23 year decorated military veteran who has served this country and protected your rights, including the one you used to express you thoughts to ridicule mine. I proudly served with the finest people, people of all races and religious beliefs. I may not have agreed with their beliefs, political, religious, sexual or otherwise but I still respected each of them as a human being just as I do our current President. So if you want to make more out of this than it is, go ahead, that is you "right." I don't have to read it or accept it, that is my right that I have earned and sacrificed for. I do not have to explain or "clear up" anything to you. Hopefully, one of the moderators will remove both of our comments from this thread since they have nothing to do with the original thread posted here.

Edited by Gator Claus

SantaPhilG

Laffo, You never fail to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge and investigative abilities. If I ever need research done on something I'm coming to you and a couple of other Santas here. I don't always see totally eye to eye but I highly respect your opinions and always find your posts refreshing, entertaining and enlightening. (and sometimes wonderfully off the wall). Keep giving it to us!

Santa-MD

I did not, nor would not vote for EITHER of the two candidates that we were left with last Nov...

Still, the tone and the content of this topic DISGUSTS and EMBARRASSES ME!

Santas fighting with each other over something that need not even be argued about. Whether we like it or not, he is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! Moreover, minimizing the award is a pointless waste of time, and only further divides a nation which needs to come together! It's done, we didn't do it, so let's get over it. The President even notes than it was most likely awarded more because of the change in style, and hope for the future, so what is there to argue over?!?!?

I can't tell you how nice the last couple days have been with this and other flammable topics remaining pretty quiet, and, oh MY, Santa issues were the topics du jour!

Michael Rielly

As much as I would love to jump into this debate, I'm going to ask that we drop the discussion. It's turning into a political thread and I don't need any more ClausNET argena this week.