Michael Rielly

Should Americans banish the burger?

Michael Rielly

Should Americans banish the burger?

October 13, 2009

CNN.com

EXCERPT:

(CNN) -- Hamburgers are an American passion. And millions of Americans consume burgers, and other forms of meat, every day without consequences. But ground beef contaminated with E. coli bacteria has sickened, paralyzed and even killed some people who ate it. On Monday night's "Larry King Live," a wide range of guests joined an in-depth and spirited debate to answer this question: Should meat, and most specifically hamburgers, be a part of the American diet?

One person who has said "no" to burgers is Bill Marler, an expert on foodborne illness litigation. Marler has been litigating on this issue since the Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak in 1993. "Since the Jack in the Box case, I've never had a hamburger," Marler said. "I have three daughters -- 17, 14 and 10 -- and they've never had a hamburger. "What happens in hamburger is the E. coli bacteria is in the guts of cows. And during the slaughtering process, those guts are nicked or there's fecal material on the hides. It gets on the red meat," Marler explained to King. "And when you cook a steak, assuming that steak hasn't been penetrated, you can kill the bacteria that's on the outside of the meat. It's not on the inside of the meat. But when you ground that meat up, that E. coli is in there," he said.

For Barbara Kowalcyk, the issue is professional -- she's director of food safety at the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention. But the issue is also deeply personal -- her 2-year-old son, Kevin, died of complications due to E. coli infection in 2001. Kevin "went from being a perfectly healthy, beautiful child to being dead in 12 days. It was unbelievable," Kowalcyk told King. Despite her devastating loss, Kowalcyk and her center are not taking a total stand against meat. "We do not want to tell people what to eat or what not to eat," she said. "We want consumers to have the information they need to make educated choices about what they feed themselves and their loved ones. And we want better protections in this country for food. Americans believe that their food is safe, and they have a right to know the risks."

SOURCE

Michael Rielly

Two words: Hell No

:no:

Felix Estridge

I'm with ya, Mike! Gots to have me some burgers!

Dutch Schrap

I'm with you guys...

Santa Allen

In my past I have been a food microbiologist and have worked both in the lab and in the slaughter house. I love my hambuger WELL DONE and my steaks medium rare. I always turn them with either a spatula or tongs never with a fork.

Santa Bear Larry
B) Never, NO, never. Not in my lifetime anyway. Can't survive without my burger!!

Eileen Strom

NOOOOO! As long as there is In-N-Out I will enjoy them!! (That goes for making them at home as well!!)

Michael Rielly
NOOOOO! As long as there is In-N-Out I will enjoy them!! (That goes for making them at home as well!!)

I wish we had In-N-Outs here. :(

Felix Estridge
I wish we had In-N-Outs here. :(

So what is your favorite burger place where you live, Mike?

We have a local place called Burger Island that we love. They have a many locations around the area.

Santa Spice

HOG-WASH

Why do all these people get so picky??? I worked at a meat packing plant as a salesman for almost 20 years. I used to eat the burger out of the grinder, raw and cold. Used to eat tenderloins tips that way too. Good with a little salt on them, and with a glass of cognac. Never been sick a single day back then, and hardly ever now. I have also eaten raw lamb. My favorite Arab restaurant serves it.

I understand the danger and am careful of where meat came from before I decid how to eat it. I usually cook by burgers and steak MR, which is more than I used to. I love red rare prime rib, but it is hard to find. If I am at a place that may not be top notch, I order it cooked more well than that.

SantaJoe
Two words: Hell No

:no:

:clap: LOL....I needed that!

Laffo

Well, I'll have a Spinach Salad with Tomatoes and Green Onions. Wait a minute...

Nah, maybe some P-nut Butter. Wait a minute...

I also have a Family Friend who died from Black Bean bourne Meningitis.

I too am waiting for an In and Out, but have this in the mean time, the Best Burger in America:

Ann's Snack Bar

Laffo.

Edited by Laffo

Michael Rielly
HOG-WASH

Why do all these people get so picky??? I worked at a meat packing plant as a salesman for almost 20 years. I used to eat the burger out of the grinder, raw and cold. Used to eat tenderloins tips that way too. Good with a little salt on them, and with a glass of cognac. Never been sick a single day back then, and hardly ever now. I have also eaten raw lamb. My favorite Arab restaurant serves it.

I understand the danger and am careful of where meat came from before I decid how to eat it. I usually cook by burgers and steak MR, which is more than I used to. I love red rare prime rib, but it is hard to find. If I am at a place that may not be top notch, I order it cooked more well than that.

Only one place I know in Michigan to get a burger Spice... Millers!

Santa Spice
Only one place I know in Michigan to get a burger Spice... Millers!

oh, would you believe I almost said that but thought no one would know what I am talking about. That's great.

For those who don't know, Miller's is a small family corner bar in Dearborn Michigan, home of Ford. They have two things on the menu, hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

French Fries too. You go in and sit down, a waiter will take you order without writing it down. They get your order and bring it to the table. They get you your drink order and do not give you a written bill. When you are ready to leave, it is on the honor system. You walk over to the center of the bar and tell the bartender what you had and he adds it up and you pay him. Best burgers ands ervice in town. Only holds about 75 people. But at lunch time they have a line outside and down the block.

Thanks for mentioning it Mike.

Santa Mark Kersh

KEEP THE BURGERS....ban CNN :sc_wink:

Michael Rielly
oh, would you believe I almost said that but thought no one would know what I am talking about. That's great.

For those who don't know, Miller's is a small family corner bar in Dearborn Michigan, home of Ford. They have two things on the menu, hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

French Fries too. You go in and sit down, a waiter will take you order without writing it down. They get your order and bring it to the table. They get you your drink order and do not give you a written bill. When you are ready to leave, it is on the honor system. You walk over to the center of the bar and tell the bartender what you had and he adds it up and you pay him. Best burgers ands ervice in town. Only holds about 75 people. But at lunch time they have a line outside and down the block.

Thanks for mentioning it Mike.

I go to Miller's every time I am in Michigan! OMG They are so good! I think it's because the grill has never been cleaned! Ha!

VetteCitySanta

I'll have the Parmesan-crusted Black Angus half-pounder with shredded lettuce, tomato, and mushrooms on a honey wheat bun. And I'd like a double order of sweet potato fries with that, too.

VCS :licklips:

Santa Bill

No more burgers You have got to be kidding. That is unamercan. There is nothing like bitting in to a med rare thick jucy burger. Later I just made myself hungry.

Kris Claus

Ever have a Bubba burger sold in the freezer section? IN-frikken-CREDIBLE. Sorry I said, frikken. :blush:

I still have a box full. Even after 2 minutes in the microwave, best burger I ever had. :licklips:

Hey, food gets contaminated. It is a fact of life. What they need are newer technologies to process the meat in a more humane, and cleaner method.

Ban the burger? Never!

Santa Norm

I agree with Santa Mark,

KEEP THE BURGERS ... ban CNN

Eileen Strom

As of right now there are no In-N-Outs in Texas - and that (besides Disneyland) is something that we will miss when(ever) we move.

I too used to eat the ground sirloin raw all by itself - (steak tartar), and have so far managed to live. I cook my steaks rare to med/rare also.

Santa James Branum

My favorite fast food burger is the flame broiled Whopper from BK my favorite Gourmet(Specialty) burgers come from Red Robin best onion burgers I have ever ate.

Dutch Schrap

For frozen burgers - I'm with Kris on this one - Bubba Burgers ROCK.

Best place to get a burger in the Mid-Atlantic area? Hands down - 5 Guys Burgers - WOW!!

Even Obama take "OTR" (Off the Record) trips with his Secret Service Detail B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) to 5 Guys in DC

***Disclaimer - not making this a Political burger issue***

Kris Claus

Best place to get a burger in the Mid-Atlantic area? Hands down - 5 Guys Burgers - WOW!!

Hi five, Santa Bubba! I've been to 5 Guys, too. Great burger and fries. You have to wait for it because they are made to order, but worth it.

Was at Bobby Flay's Burger place a couple of months ago. While certainly a good tasting burger and lots of sauces for the burger and fries, it was too over priced for a burger much small than the bun. Bobby Flay? Stay Away. :confused:

Michael Rielly

<snip>

Bubba Burgers are the only frozen burgers I buy! They are a little more expensive but definitely worth the price!