Michael Rielly

Should Americans banish the burger?

Laffo

If you like Bubba Burgers and are ever in Hawaii, that's where they started. The patties are in the shape of the Island of Kauai and the original shack still sits on Kuhio Road in Kapaa.

They have a Mural over the bar of an old Grocery Store/Filling Station and a sign that says "Largest Dolphin and Whale Free Mural in Hawaii."

Hate to tell you, but it's so - so. I think 5 Guys is better burger.

I have eaten Burgers all over as Eating is actually a Job for me and I can say hands down the 2 best burgers I've ever had were in Georgia:

Ann's Snack Bar

Atlanta, Georgia

The Ghetto Burger:

20070318-Ghetto_Burger_Anns_Snack_B.jpg

The Sports Center

Augusta, Georgia

sportscenter.jpg

The Sports Center had the best Onion Rings I've ever had.

A close runner up is The Beacon Drive-In in Spartanburg, S.C.:

beacon.jpg

Laffo.

Edited by Laffo

SantaCraig

making me hungry for crying out loud, I do like a good greasy burger from a mom and pop place!

Santa Stewart

One of the best burgers I had was at a jack-in -the box in Morristown,New Jersey.Since then there was a place here in Sidney,Mt. called Sunny's which has the best burgers.There is Sadie's here too but it's in an Auction center for livestock.Either,serve great burgers if you want a family enviroment it's Sunny's hands down! B)

Santa Spice
making me hungry for crying out loud, I do like a good greasy burger from a mom and pop place!

I agree, the mom and pop type place can have the best burger and other items.

I was a wholesale meat salesman for about 15 years. I sold a lot of burger. We would grind our own burger and sell it in bulk 10# bags. We would also make patties of different sizes and sell them. I also worked where we had a patty machine that would flash freeze them. Each has it's place. But to my liking, I like fresh burger and then have the cook hand patty them as they go on the grill.

One of item that may be TMI for some of you. Most burger comes from shoulder clods. Then fat is added to get the desired %. 85/15 and 80/20 is the most common. That is 80% meat to 20% fat. What you buy in stores is often 75/25. Then don't forget the 80% meat has a good % of liquid in it. But for me the best is what we used to write up as "bar burger". It was used by those neighborhood small bars who want great burgers. We would grind the shoulders and fat and then add "beef hearts". The hearts give that "taste" that you love in those bar burger, but didn't know where it comes from and why don't other places have burger that taste that good. So now you know. Hope you can handle it. B)

by the way, meat shops where the meat is cut and the burger is ground are kept at 35-37%. Burger must be ground very cold. Heat is the enemy of burger. And the grinder makes it's own heat, so the room must be cold. The other enemy of burger is time.

Edited by Santa Spice

Elf Without Jingles
Should Americans banish the burger?

October 13, 2009

CNN.com

EXCERPT:

(CNN) -- Hamburgers are an American passion. And millions of Americans consume burgers, and other forms of meat, every day without consequences. But ground beef contaminated with E. coli bacteria has sickened, paralyzed and even killed some people who ate it. On Monday night's "Larry King Live," a wide range of guests joined an in-depth and spirited debate to answer this question: Should meat, and most specifically hamburgers, be a part of the American diet?

One person who has said "no" to burgers is Bill Marler, an expert on foodborne illness litigation. Marler has been litigating on this issue since the Jack in the Box E. coli outbreak in 1993. "Since the Jack in the Box case, I've never had a hamburger," Marler said. "I have three daughters -- 17, 14 and 10 -- and they've never had a hamburger. "What happens in hamburger is the E. coli bacteria is in the guts of cows. And during the slaughtering process, those guts are nicked or there's fecal material on the hides. It gets on the red meat," Marler explained to King. "And when you cook a steak, assuming that steak hasn't been penetrated, you can kill the bacteria that's on the outside of the meat. It's not on the inside of the meat. But when you ground that meat up, that E. coli is in there," he said.

For Barbara Kowalcyk, the issue is professional -- she's director of food safety at the Center for Foodborne Illness Research and Prevention. But the issue is also deeply personal -- her 2-year-old son, Kevin, died of complications due to E. coli infection in 2001. Kevin "went from being a perfectly healthy, beautiful child to being dead in 12 days. It was unbelievable," Kowalcyk told King. Despite her devastating loss, Kowalcyk and her center are not taking a total stand against meat. "We do not want to tell people what to eat or what not to eat," she said. "We want consumers to have the information they need to make educated choices about what they feed themselves and their loved ones. And we want better protections in this country for food. Americans believe that their food is safe, and they have a right to know the risks."

SOURCE

OK, America: let's understand the following: WE NEED BURGERS!

I don't know about you, but in the last several months it has been totally impossible to find anything in New York City alone closely resembling a decent burger joint. That's not to say that there aren't any; there are, I imagine, one or two or even three or four, maybe five, such places (one must, as always, know how and where to look for them). But, besides the obligatory McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and Subway, the local mom-and-pop burger joints are even now waging an apparent fight for survival in the era of The Biggest Loser.

There was once a movie entitled Fatso, starring the late Dom DeLuise and directed by no less than Anne Bancroft, which attempted to use satire to explore the theme of eating. Must we re-examine that film if we are to defend the power of burgers per se? I have to wonder if, in fact, we have taken burger culture for granted. If so, we stand on the edge of an unprecedented dilemma: What are we gonna do if, at some weird point, we find ourselves telling our kids they can't have burgers anymore? I'm smelling rebellion here, how about you?

Edited by Elf Without Jingles

Kris Claus

Santa Spice, as someone who grew up eating tripe, chicken gizzards, hearts, pigs feet, and other stuff, beef hearts don't bother me. Though I wasn't thrilled the one time I cooked it. Maybe that is why Bubba Burgers taste so good.

There is a Brazillian BBQ place which I love. When I get the "all you can eat" Rodizio I also get an extra beef rib and extra portion of chicken hearts. Have occasionally bought fried chicken gizzard from the local Chinese place. Only tasted duck a couple of times and actually enjoy the fattier nature of the meat. Though I believe ducks are too beautiful to eat.

Don't knock it until you try it folks. When you are hungry meat is meat.

Santa Spice
Santa Spice, as someone who grew up eating tripe, chicken gizzards, hearts, pigs feet, and other stuff, beef hearts don't bother me. Though I wasn't thrilled the one time I cooked it. Maybe that is why Bubba Burgers taste so good.

There is a Brazillian BBQ place which I love. When I get the "all you can eat" Rodizio I also get an extra beef rib and extra portion of chicken hearts. Have occasionally bought fried chicken gizzard from the local Chinese place. Only tasted duck a couple of times and actually enjoy the fattier nature of the meat. Though I believe ducks are too beautiful to eat.

Reading your post, reminded me that in High School, I took commerical foods. We had a French Chef, George Marchard, and a German Chef, Herman Breithaupt. They would cook stuff we never heard of. But one of my favoirtes was when Chef Marchard cooked braised OX tails. Such wish I could find someone who knew how to cook those. My other favorite was Chef Marchard's soup he called Chicken Imperial. It was a chicken borth soup that was thickened with whole pearl tapioca. What a wonderful soup. I have that recipe around the house here someplace.

Edited by Santa Spice

Tate

The thing that gets me about these reports is, if the danger is so great, where are all the resulting deaths/illnesses? I saw a report on a local news show this past summer talking about e. coli and such on playground equipment. They showed kids playing on the jungle jim (gym?) and then eating a snack with their hands. OH, THE HUMANITY! But they didn't report any ill effects or deaths.

Tate

Michael Rielly

I love Brazillian BBQ. I've had it in several times in Sao Paulo!

Laffo
Chef Marchard cooked braised OX tails. Such wish I could find someone who knew how to cook those.

What do you want to know?

Laffo.

Santa Spice
What do you want to know?

Laffo.

how do you cook and serve them??? I haven't had any in about 40 years.

Santa-MD

The most memorably good burger that I have had was at a small little place in (of all places) Aix-en-Provence, France. It was called Red Rock, and a lot of the American Students at the School I was attending on a semester exchange in college went there. That's the first place that I ever had a fried egg on a burger. If you have not tried that, do it. Make the egg yolk just slightly runny to keep it from being too dry. I think the owners might have been re-located Yanks. (This was 1982, so working on hazy memories, except for the taste.)

Best I've had in the States was at a place called the Last Chance Saloon, in Columbia, MD; sadly, they were sold, and died a fast death. They had great Crab Cakes, too.

I also like 5 Guys, Red Robin and Fuddruckers.

Laffo
how do you cook and serve them??? I haven't had any in about 40 years.

BRAISED OXTAILS DINNER

2 oxtails, whole, cut at joint

1 qt. burgundy wine

2 qts. stock or consomme

1 qt. water

2 bay leaves, small

1 pinch thyme

1 pinch rosemary

2 tsp. cracked pepper

Whole parsley

2 carrots, sliced

1 onion, cut in large pieces

1 to 2 stalks of celery

Marinate oxtails for 12 hours in the above mixture of wine, stock, water, spices and vegetables. Mixture is to be covered and refrigerated for marination.After mixture has marinated: Remove oxtails, reserve liquid. Drain oxtails to remove excess liquid. Saute oxtails in cooking oil, turning occasionally until light brown. Place browned oxtails in a dutch oven (or other heavy pan). Add liquid with vegetables from marination. Add 1 tablespoon tomato paste. Cook uncovered over low flame until oxtails are tender (2 to 3 hours). Stir frequently and add more water if necessary. When oxtails are tender, remove and place on serving dish. Thicken remaining liquid with Beure Manie. Cook mixture until thick (5 to 10 minutes). Add salt, pepper and spices to taste. Strain over oxtails and serve.

BEURE MANIE:1/2 stick butter and flourMelt butter over low flame. Stir in flour until mixture is thick.

You can serve with Mashed Potatoes, over Egg Noodles, over Crostini, with Wild Rice or my favorite:

YORKSHIRE PUDDING

3/4 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs

1 c. milk

4 tbsp. oil

Beat flour, salt, eggs, milk together until very smooth, scraping bowl occasionally. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Measure oil into 8 x 8 x 2 inch square Pyrex pan. Heat for 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Do not open door. Serve immediately.When fresh from oven good Yorkshire pudding is a puffy irregular shaped golden mass, unlike any other baked dish. On standing a few minutes, the surface settles more or less evenly and when cut the outer crust is tender, crisp and center soft and custardy.

with this as the Salad Course:

BEET SALAD WITH WALNUT DRESSING

2/3 lb. fresh beets

4 tsp. red wine vinegar

3/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

4 tbsp. oil

1/4 c. broken walnut pieces

Salad greens

Peel and grate beets. Shake salt, pepper, and vinegar in jar until salt dissolves. Add oil and shake until blended. Toss beets with dressing and nuts. Arrange greens on salad plate, and top with beets.

And Dessert:

PUMPKIN PIE

3/4 cup pumpkin

2 tablespoons molasses

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 tablespoons flour

2 eggs, separated

milk combined with 1 can of evaporated milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 tablespoons Myers rum

Pie shell

Separate eggs. In a clean bowl beat egg whites only until slightly foamy. In a measuring cup, add 1 can of evaporated milk. Add regular milk until level in measuring cup reaches 1 1/2 cups total.

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except egg whites. Beat one minute. Gently fold in egg whites.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking for 30 more minutes.

Top with HOMEMADE whipped creme while still warm.

All of these Recipes are Easy, Easy, Easy.

Perfect Fall Sunday Meal.

Laffo.

Edited by Laffo

Santa Spice

WOW, thanks so much, it makes me hungry just reading the recipes.

Santa Eddie

They can have my Burger when they pry my cold dead hands from them.

I don't think so.

Santa Pirate
I go to Miller's every time I am in Michigan! OMG They are so good! I think it's because the grill has never been cleaned! Ha!
please!!! Santa Rielly!! millers ok but please next time your here call me or santa j we'll treat you to the BEST at SANDY'S ON THE BEECH!!!!

bILL MARLEY IS........WELL YOU KNOW :thumbdown:

Santa Pirate

AARRG! if its a gut buster...grease dripping!!! slider burger you crave........Motts is the place.....located in a very seedy part of detroit....but they are good

Elf Gary

They can have my Greasy Mustard covered Burger when they pry it from my cold stiff dead fingers! HHHMMMM... Me and Santa Eddie are of one mind on this one. :frantic:

Santa Spice

hand patty about a half pound of burger, cook it med rare on a grill, cover with sauteed mushrooms and melt Roquefort cheese all over it. Top with a couple of pieces of bacon, serve on an onion roll and that is one great burger. Add a side of FF and a cold beer and a shot of cognac, and I am all set for the day.