Elf Without Jingles

Macy*s Thanksgiving parade: New route, same blowout

Monday, November 23, 2009

LAST UPDATED: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23, 2009 4:10 PM

BY SACHI FUJIMORI

THE RECORD

STAFF WRITER

EXCERPT:

Spider-Man has been pumping iron during his 10-year hiatus from the Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Our favorite web-slinger character balloon crawls into Thursday's parade with an updated, more muscular physique. The other new giant helium balloons include Ronald McDonald, a larger Pillsbury Doughboy, and Sailor Mickey, in his fourth inflatable iteration.

The parade route also gets a makeover this year. After 82 yeaars of marching down Broadway, the procession will instead follow Sixth and Seventh Avenues. Mayor Michael Bloomberg converted sections of Broadway around Times Square into pedestrian-only zones, making it impossible for the floats to pass through.

And the star of the show, Santa Claus, will whisk in on a new sleigh. He'll wave from atop his new ride, a 60-foot-long and 3 1/2-story-tall float.

SOURCE:

Santa TJS

Is it the same Santa as the last two years? I guess the swan sleigh is no more, with the bell nearly hitting Santa on the head when he stands

Santa Jonathan

Tom, was that the one with the very short beard?

Santa TJS

Yes, the had a real bearded Santa with a close cropped beard

Elf Without Jingles
Is it the same Santa as the last two years? I guess the swan sleigh is no more, with the bell nearly hitting Santa on the head when he stands.

Yeah, it is the same Santa: Dana Friedman --- attorney, raconteur, and occasional Santa-in-Residence for Lower Manhattan's J&R Music and Computer World.

Edited by Elf Without Jingles

Santa TJS

Was he the same Santa that did the parade 3 years ago with a glue on designer beard??

Santa Johnny Boy

And the star of the show, Santa Claus, will whisk in on a new sleigh. He'll wave from atop his new ride, a 60-foot-long and 3 1/2-story-tall float.

SOURCE:

I wonder how much they want for the old sleigh? :sc_hmm:

Santa Johnny Boy
Yeah, it is the same Santa: Dana Friedman --- attorney, raconteur, and occasional Santa-in-Residence for Lower Manhattan's J&R Music and Computer World.

Santa Richard - only YOU could find this out! I went to Santa Dana's website and found it most inspiring. It's true, he IS the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Santa. But what I liked best about him is the question that he asks the children who come visit him:

“If you could give a gift to anyone in this world, what would you give?”

It provides for some interesting answers! Santa Dana is in the process of writing a book about Santa and I would be most curious to read it.

Elf Without Jingles
Santa Richard - only YOU could find this out! I went to Santa Dana's website and found it most inspiring. It's true, he IS the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Santa. But what I liked best about him is the question that he asks the children who come visit him:

"If you could give a gift to anyone in this world, what would you give?"

It provides for some interesting answers! Santa Dana is in the process of writing a book about Santa and I would be most curious to read it.

Know this, Santa Johnny Boy: 'Tis nae what ye knows, 'tis whom! And it also helps when, as in my case, you find yourself blessed with what they call "Hollywood savvy."

Y'see, I saw The Making of Star Wars [Episode IV: A New Hope] as told by C3P0 and R2D2 when I was eleven --- and from the moment I followed William Conrad's narration as the Robert Guennette Production chronicled the first hums of the Millennium Falcon, I knew that it was not enough for me to wanna see the movie --- I HAD to learn everything about how it was all put together. So, as you can imagine, making-of documentaries mean quite a lot to me.

I've been writing a lot today, and I still have that Parade to do tomorrow, so don't be surprised if I'm offline for at least 48 or 72 hours, depending on how I'm feeling. As the celebrated Elf Without Jingles, battling the slings and arrows of Black Friday comes half-naturally to me .... which explains why I'm hoping to put up a poster of Jeff Probst on my wall. Because Jeff's not just the host of Survivor --- he actually IS one. A survivor, that is.

Santa TJS

Saw the parade, still say he needs to grow his beard an inch or two longer ,seems out of proportion with that big suit. They changed the hat even so from camera angles dark hair showed beneath it. The sleigh was great like in the old miracle on 34th St.

Santa Christopher

I agree the beard was a little short, loved the classic look, but I do feel the suit was overpowering to the beard...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Storytelling Santa

Man oh man... wouldn't that be fun!

Santa Johnny Boy

The sleigh was amazing - like Miracle on 34th Street but larger. Liked the elf they had at the reigns. I agree that he should grow his beard longer if he wants to represent Santa in the world's largest parade.

And learn how to lip sync!

FrSanta

It was a good parade and I liked the Santa, he looked very nice, I liked the look of the whole set up, and I hate to be the cause of problems, but He said, Happy Thanksgiving, is that normal? I am sure in the past he said Merry Christmas, and it seemed that everyone who was announcing the parade was making an effort to say things like Holidays, Seasons, but not say Christmas. Maybe I am just paranoid, but it seemed like Christmas was the elephant in the living room, that no one wanted to mention. It might be the Thanksgiving Day parade but the floats and decorations are overwhelmingly Christmas orientated. I wonder if we will ever outlaw the word altogether? I for one would never stop saying it.

Carlo Klemm

Ok...I'll add this. I missed the parade on tv but this what is up on YouTube.

Cindylu

It seems to me that the Santa doesn't make much of an effort to look his very, very best for this crucial parade. There are hundreds and hundreds of Santas that would go to the ends of the earth to be the Santa in that parade and there this guy is, short beard, obviously not professionally groomed and a crop of very dark, short hair under his Santa hat. Perhaps he thought nobody would see it, but most Santas wouldn't even think of taking that risk on National TV.

The suit was quite grand no doubt about it and the hat was certainly not the traditional Santa hat, but a really good looking Santa would have done it much more justice! I'm sure the fellow is a nice guy and all, but he sure needs to get with the program!

Santa Jonathan

The music Macy's have for their parade is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree that there are a couple of things that the Santa could make a little better, but what a privilege to be doing that!!!

Also, what a gorgeous new sleigh!!!!!! :yahoo::D

Shannon

I just don't quite understand parade organizers. I don't know the fellow who did the NY Macy's parade, but I don't think a 3" beard and bristle-brush 'stache is worthy of the most prestigious parade on the planet! The Raleigh parade (the largest between Atlanta and Washington) had, and has had for years, the most awful fake bearded, cheap suited Santa imaginable... I mean this guy had his belt buckle shifted under his left armpit, his jacket open, and his horrible cotton beard covering everything but his eyeballs! Hideous! Awful! Embarrassing! It has to be some CEO who likes to play Santa and gets the gig year after year purely on his social clout! My tiny little town of Wake Forest (a Raleigh suburb) has a better Santa for their parade than either Raleigh or New York! And no, it's not me. It's just a real shame that parade organizers are not as concerned about the image of Santa as us'uns!

ShantaClausSm.png

Felix Estridge

Agreed the suit he wore was just magnificent...but the character inside it, well, lets just say it was lacking. I was especially disgusted when he didn't get the lipsinc right on the one and only time he spoke anything. It was like in his mind, "Ooo...I'm supposed to say something here...and the track is already ahead of me...Oh no!"

SantaJoe

I'm not so sure that was him. At least they don't look the same to me.

Santa Johnny Boy
I'm not so sure that was him. At least they don't look the same to me.

It didn't look like him to me, either, but if you go to his website and click on his 2009 Santa Schedule, you'll see that he listed as being Santa for the Macy's Parade.

Michael Rielly
It didn't look like him to me, either, but if you go to his website and click on his 2009 Santa Schedule, you'll see that he listed as being Santa for the Macy's Parade.

Interesting. I thought Macy's Santas were not allowed to identify themselves as the Macy's Santa.

Cindylu
Is it the same Santa as the last two years? I guess the swan sleigh is no more, with the bell nearly hitting Santa on the head when he stands

His Website and/or Calendar says this is his first appearance in the Macy's Parade, I think.

Santa Johnny Boy
Saw the parade, still say he needs to grow his beard an inch or two longer ,seems out of proportion with that big suit. They changed the hat even so from camera angles dark hair showed beneath it. The sleigh was great like in the old miracle on 34th St.

I watched the video again and you're right, Santa TJS, the hat is different. It looks more like an Adele's hat but with a bell on the end. The one that I wore had a red rim showing under the fur and no matter how you tried to wear it straight, it always tilted to one side. There were also jingle bells sewn along near the edge of the fur.

gallery_248_88_31886.gif

They also changed from a plain belt buckle to two "snaps".

Santa Jonathan

Santa Johnny Boy, who made the parade suit?