Michael Rielly

The Story of Rudolph

Michael Rielly

The Story of Rudolph

By Santa Don Galaway

Children often ask me about my reindeer. Of course, we usually end up talking about Rudolph. Well, let me tell you a little about my reindeer.

Of course, those who pull Santa’s sleigh every Christmas eve are Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder, Blitzen and, of course, Rudolph.

Those who are quick and light-footed are harnessed at the front of the team. That would be Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen. With the slightest touch of the reins, those sure-footed reindeer can turn right around and lead the others.

Then, Comet and Cupid are just behind them. They are the encouragers of the team. They call out to those in the lead, helping them to keep up the pace so that all of the presents will be delivered on time to all of the boys and girls.

Then, come Donder and Blitzen. Now, those two are my strongest reindeer. They are so strong and powerful, they can get a fully loaded sleigh up and flying with a single bound. Do you know what the words, “Donder” and “Blitzen” mean? In German, Donder means, “Thunder”, and Blitzen means, “Lightning”. That’s because Donder and Blitzen are so strong and powerful.

Now, about Rudolph. Well, one cold and snowy night, Rudy, one of the elves went out to check on the reindeer; and what did he find just outside the stables but a tiny orphan reindeer. He was cold and hungry. Well, Rudy took the little reindeer inside and gave him some treats and put down a nice soft bunch of fresh hay for him to snuggle into and get warm.

Right away, Rudy noticed something different about the little reindeer. His nose seemed to glow. At first, Rudy thought it was just because the little reindeer was so cold, but even after he warmed up, his nose kept right on glowing. But Rudy didn’t mind that. He even thought it was cute.

Rudy said, “What’s your name is, little fella?” But the little reindeer hadn’t learned to talk yet, so he couldn’t answer him. So, Rudy said, “Well then, I’ll name you after myself since I am the one who found you. I’ll call you Rudolph!”

So after Rudy made sure that Rudolph was warm and cozy, he went back to the Toy Shoppe to report to Santa what he had found. Santa said, “That’s fine, Rudy. We couldn’t let the little fella starve, now could we? Ho, ho ho, and I like the name, “Rudolph”, too.”

The next morning, when Rudy went out to the stables to feed the reindeer, he heard the reindeer laughing as he walked in. They were all gathered around the poor little fella, laughing and making fun of his bright red nose. When they went out to exercise, Rudolph followed them, but no one would talk to him.

Then came the day of the yearly reindeer games. It was a big day for the reindeer. They used the games to help them get in shape for their Christmas Eve ride. They had reindeer races, sleigh pulling contests, and they played Catch the hoop on your antlers.

When Rudolph asked to play, they told him he wasn’t fast enough to join the reindeer races, he wasn’t strong enough for the sleigh pulling contest, and he couldn’t play Catch the hoop on your antlers because he didn’t have any antlers yet. So, poor Rudolph slowly and sadly walked back to the stables.

Then came the big day! Everybody was running around, getting everything ready for Santa’s ride that night. The elves were busy checking the sleigh and loading the presents. The reindeer were busy getting their harnesses adjusted just right. Santa was busy checking his list. Mrs. Claus was fussing over Santa, telling him to dress warmly because it would be cold that night. But there was nothing poor little Rudolph could do to help.

Then, when all was ready Santa went out to climb into the sleigh, but he noticed something that worried him. A thick fog had rolled in, and he could only see a few feet ahead of him. What would he do? What if he ran into a tree? He had to deliver all of those presents to the good little boys and girls. Oh, what would he do?

Just then, he saw something. From one of the stable windows came a bright glow. At first, Santa thought the stables were on fire until he realized it was Rudolph’s nose glowing so brightly.

“Aha!” said Santa. “I have an idea! I’ll ask Rudolph if he will guide me and my reindeer tonight. Of course, Rudolph said he would do it. He was just happy to help.

So, the elves quickly added another harness at the front of the team, and Rudolph proudly took his place. Then off they flew, and with Rudolph’s help, they safely delivered all of the presents that night.

Never again would the reindeer laugh at Rudolph and his bright red nose. They loved him for what he did that night, and told him they were sorry. Rudolph forgave them, even after they had treated him so badly. They invited Rudolph to participate in all of their games.

So boys and girls, even though you might be a little different from everyone else, just like Rudolph was; whether you wear glasses, whether you can walk well or not, whether you have dark skin or light skin, whether you’re skinny or … not so skinny like me, you are special. Don’t ever forget that. And if you aren’t different in some way, if you will be a friend to those who are different, guess what? You are special!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Elf Gary

That is terrific Mike, i read another Rudolph oragin story but it would NOT be suited to telling children : that Rudolph was very,very sick, that all the other reindeer avoided him because of it - his red nose in fact scared them off, it was an outward sighn of his illness.

If his nose was so red it glowed he had to have been in very bad shape but he vulunteered to lead the others on one and only one foggy Christmas Eve.

Next time you watch 'Polar Express' watch very closely when the train is running through the streets when the kids ask "where are the Elves?" you will see a memorial statue of Rudolph his front legs in the air, symbolic of his dying in action(statues of animals with their front legs in the air is an artists code that it or its rider died in battle, if the feet are down and the head is down it means dying in his sleep) with an illuminated red lightbulb nose, the reminder of a sacrifice that became a legend.

Rudolph.png

Santa Claude

Very goo anser . need to rember that story.2thumbup.gif2thumbup.gifthumbsup.gifclap_1.gifyes.gif

Michael Rielly

That is terrific Mike, i read another Rudolph oragin story but it would NOT be suited to telling children : that Rudolph was very,very sick, that all the other reindeer avoided him because of it - his red nose in fact scared them off, it was an outward sighn of his illness.

If his nose was so red it glowed he had to have been in very bad shape but he vulunteered to lead the others on one and only one foggy Christmas Eve.

Next time you watch 'Polar Express' watch very closely when the train is running through the streets when the kids ask "where are the Elves?" you will see a memorial statue of Rudolph his front legs in the air, symbolic of his dying in action(statues of animals with their front legs in the air is an artists code that it or its rider died in battle, if the feet are down and the head is down it means dying in his sleep) with an illuminated red lightbulb nose, the reminder of a sacrifice that became a legend.

Rudolph.png

For the original story of Rudolph you need to take a look at the poem written by Robert L. May. May wrote the poem in the style of A Visit From St. Nicholas aka T'was The Night Before Christmas.

"Twas the day before Christmas, and all through the hills,

the reindeer were playing, enjoying their spills."

"While every so often, they´d stop to call names,

at one little deer not allowed in their games."

“Ha, ha! Look at Rudolph! His nose is a sight! It´s red as a beet!

Twice as big! Twice as bright!"

"While Rudolph just cried. What else could he do?"

A few years later, Max Fleischer created this cartoon in 1948 using Robert L. May's story of Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer.

Michael Rielly

Just to be clear, the story above was written by Santa Don Galaway

VetteCitySanta

Cute cartoon. It was kind of sweet that the narrator declared Santa's decision to use Rudolph as "the greatest idea in history." The audio sounded as if all those doing the character voices were gathered around a table in someone's garage. Cartoon technology has certainly come a long way since 1948, but it was still a very good year. There's no telling how many stories about Rudolph's origins are out there.

SantaMikeUK

I love the Rudolf story. It provides a wonderful moral for children who believe that they are somehow different and not acceptable. One little thing though, the German for thunder is donner and not donder. Sorry to nitpick such a wonderful story.

Ol Santa

Well howdy ya'all...

...Ol' Santa here.   Ya' know, as an old fashioned Santa that talks several minutes to every child,

I get asked questions about Rudolph quite a bit.   Kids want to know if he's still alive.  

I tell 'em "Yep, but he's getting older.  

They then ask "Well how old is he?"  

I say "Well lets see now, he's 46 years old now and that's pretty old for a reindeer."  

Next, they usually ask, "Does he still lead the other reindeer when you're delivering the toys on

Christmas Eve?"  

I tell them "No, he's just not strong enough.  But I still take him every year.   Yep, he rides right

in the front seat of my sleigh next to me."

"Well is that all he does?"

Then I tell 'em "Well when we run into bad weather, we stop and hitch him up front to 

lead the way."

Then they usually ask, "How does his nose light up?"

So I ask them "have they ever seen their mom blush so her face turns red?"

I usually get a "yes" on that one.  So I simply explain that "it's normal when we get embarrassed

to blush.   In fact Rudolph blushes easier than any one I've ever been around and that's how

his nose lights up.   You see all you have to do is say something to him and his nose lights up."

"His nose lights up?" they ask.

"Well not exactly",   I tell 'em..."their whole face turns red; but most of his face is covered with 

fur right?   It is except their nose, right?" 

Then I usually get a "WOW...they're blushing but all you can see is their nose turning red

because the rest of his face is covered with fur!   So that's how he does it?   Wow"

Let me hear from you.

Ol' Santa

Edited by Jerry Miller
  • Like 3

Santa Marty

The gift of gab!

Morgan Putnam

I think that's the best "how does Rudolph...?" story I've heard!

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.