Michael Rielly

Final Santa Claus Oath Ceremony

Santa Mike Liquori

That was great Phil, Wish I could make it. We'll see what happens as we get closer

Santa Bob Elkin

Phil, it is 12:35am down here in Florida, just finishing up some work for our Palm Tree Santas Christmas in July event. Thought I would check out clausnet, and I sure am glad I did! I am more excited than ever after seeing the piece you created! As soon as I finish the weekend, I will be booking that flight, etc. Thanks for all you do and for doing it with so much CLASS!

Santa Dennis

What a great piece of work Phil, I think Charles Howard would approve also. I am really excited about the Albion, NY Closing Ceremony and can't wait to be part of that. Thanks for sharing Phil.

Legendary Santa Claus
gallery_15_310_104356.jpg

Santa JimL

Phil, this is going to be great,... I can't wait....Should be a big turnout...

Legendary Santa Claus

Phil, this is going to be great,... I can't wait....Should be a big turnout...

There is a lot of history, memories, and surprises that will take place. Howard's grandchildren are very excited as are the people who knew and loved Charles W. Howard. What is fun for me is giving the family historical documentation of their grandfather's life that they did not know about and being able to answer their questions about his Santa career and his other endeavors. The grandchildren knew him as Grandpa not Santa. To his children he was Dad. To local historians he is a farmer turned businessman and showman. My research started with Howard's Santa role and worked in reverse. I look at Howard in a whole different "light" than family and local historians. Plus I have crossed referenced his Santa career with related industries.

You would be surprised at how generalized the Howard Legend has become and even the amount of misinformation that is out there. Even the local history buffs are taken back with the information that we have researched and produced on Howard with our perspective on his life and as Santa Claus.

Most importantly Howard was a man who was a son, then husband, father, grandfather, church elder, and community minded citizen...first and foremost he was Charles W. Howard...then Santa Claus. Sometimes people forget that. That's why we are Celebrating the LIFE and Legend of Charles W. Howard.

(Note: I might add that Jim Yellig was the same way...family first...plus he was retired Navy. Jim was Jim as well as being Santa Claus. Yellig was very active in numerous community projects, his church and was a life long member of American Legion Post 242 in Santa Claus, IN. He is often remembered more by the locals for his speeches to schools, scout groups, and civic clubs on Patriotism than being Santa.)

Legendary Santa Claus

Just got a call from Jerry Owens and Dutch Schrap from the National Christmas Center,

The outdoor events of the Midsummer Yule Festival, which the Oath is a part of, are being delayed because of a heavy down pour of rain. The displays are up, but the weather is causing major problems. Some of the vendors cannot even set up and the tour busses are on hold until the storm passes...later this afternoon as the weatherman says. Dutch suggested that the Santas should build an Ark at this time.

I know Jim Morrison and his staff have worked hard on the Midsummer Yule Festival. He is very disappointed. Hopefully the weather will pass and they can continue.

Felix Estridge

Just got a call from Jerry Owens and Dutch Schrap from the National Christmas Center,

The outdoor events of the Midsummer Yule Festival, which the Oath is a part of, are being delayed because of a heavy down pour of rain. The displays are up, but the weather is causing major problems. Some of the vendors cannot even set up and the tour busses are on hold until the storm passes...later this afternoon as the weatherman says. Dutch suggested that the Santas should build an Ark at this time.

I know Jim Morrison and his staff have worked hard on the Midsummer Yule Festival. He is very disappointed. Hopefully the weather will pass and they can continue.

That's too bad. I certainly hope it will clear up and a successful event can be conducted.

Santa JerryO

Well, after many delays we had to go ahead with the Oath Ceremony under a tent. The rain continued and is still misting. We had a good turn out of about 50 Santa's, Mrs. Claus's, and Elves, plus a lot of friends of Santa. Jim Morrison I am sure was just devastated but the crowd was steady all day even with the rain. Most of the vendors stuck it out and the museum traffic picked up around 3 PM. We had lost all power at 9:15am and it wasn't restored until around 10:15am. With all the rain it was still an honor to be present with all those that share the belief in the Oath and what it stands for.

Let us all pray for better weather in Sept in Albion NY. It was a great pleasure to be able to help Dutch Schrap and I would also like to thank all those that attended and assisted in making this a memorable moment even in the in climate weather.

VetteCitySanta

I'm sure the ceremony in Albion will go down in Santa history as a truly wonderful event -

one of those great memories in a person's lifetime.

I regret that I have already exceeded my Santa budget for special events travel and lodging this year, so I will not be able to attend.

I will certainly be there is spirit and hope to watch the event on video some day.

Edited by VetteCitySanta

Dutch Schrap

Hi Folks!

Here are some photos from the National Christmas Center Santa Claus Oath signing. We were soaked, but that didn't stop us!

JerryDisplay.jpg

MacArthurOwens.jpg

OathDisplay.jpg

OathFramed.jpg

Pouring.jpg

RichardSigning.jpg

Signing.jpg

Signing1.jpg

CNCrew.jpg

CNCrew2.jpg

DaveandElfEric.jpg

DinnerCrew.jpg

DutchandJimMorrison.jpg

TomLongSigning.jpg

Santa Mike Liquori

Great photos Dutch, It was a pleasure to meet you and make some new friends.

Santa Dennis

Great photos Dutch. I am so happy that you, Jim, Jerry, and Dave were able to get the event in, even with the bad weather. Turnout looked good even with the rain. Congratulations to you all.

Cindylu

Great Photos! A real shame about the weather problems for sure, but still and all, sounds like it was a great event and everyone had a good time. Wish we could have been there.[/i] :(

Eileen Strom

Well despite the weather, it looks like everyone attending had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Santa Dave

Thanks for posting the pictures Dutch. What a great time it was!!

VetteCitySanta

Great photos, Santa Dutch. Looks as though everyone enjoyed themselves despite the rain. Congratulations!

John Johnson

Dutch and Phil, thanks for the opportunity to read the biography of one of my Santa heroes. I hope that Santa Jim Yellig would have approved. Also want to thank Jerry for his time for the discussion about Jim afterwards. I was very honored to be a part of the event. Thanks

KKringle

What wonderful photos. Thanks, Dutch for sharing them with us. Memories to last a lifetime.

Santa Vern

Thanks for the photos Dutch. Makes me feel like I were there. Santa Vern2thumbup.gif

Legendary Santa Claus

gallery_15_310_74305.jpg

Seventy-five years ago, November 1935, Charles W. Howard took a step with fate and officially embarked on a career as Santa Claus in a Rochester department store.

A day to honor this unique and special man.

Note: The Ceremony is open to the general public and not considered a Santa event. It will be conducted on private property. All Santas, Mrs. Clauses, and helpers are welcome and invited. The Western New York Santas will be hosting the Oath Ceremony as part of the proceedings.

Santa Bob Elkin

wow! this really looks like an awesome event! thank you Phil, Santa Dave Troutman, Santa Mike Stroh and all the Santas of the Western New York Santa group for your efforts and hard work to bring us the opportunity to walk, however briefly, in the footsteps of Charles W. Howard and I am sure feel his presence among us.

I can't imagine any Santa, especially the many graduates of the Charles W. Howard Schools that would not make every effort to attend this most momentous and history creating event in the modern day annuals of Santa Claus!

With the assistance of Santa Dave Troutman and Santa Mike Stroh, we have reserved a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn, Batavia at an attractive reduced rate. (Published rates are $99, AAA, $89) This property is located just off Interstate 90, a New York State Thruway, easy to get to, 30 minutes from Rochester or Buffalo Airports and 15 minutes from Albion.

Rooms will be available for $75 per night (Double/Double) one or two persons, Friday, Sept 24th, Saturday Sept 25th.

King rooms are $85 per night

Suites are $95 per night

You must call 1-866-281-2704 or 585-344-2100, ask for "In-House Reservations", then ask for a room from the "Santa Claus Oath" room block. You will need to reserve the room with your own credit card as is usual with any hotel.

You can view the property and it's amenities at www.hibatavia.com but these reservation prices are not available on line, you must reserve your room by telephone!

We are also working on and planning to put together an informal dinner Friday and/or Saturday evening, probably in the Batavia area, as this is the closest area with larger restaurants that may accomodate a large group of folks!

Dutch Schrap

Just made my reservations for the Batavia Holiday Inn for my Girlfriend and I! Staying over 9/24 & 9/25... Can't wait!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Santa Dave

I just made my reservations!!

Santa Bob Elkin

ho ho ho!

I have made my airline reservations, my rental car reservations and my Holiday Inn reservations for 9/24 & 9/25.

I am really looking forward to seeing a lot of great friends and many new ones.

To be able to attend and witness a little of the History of Charles W. Howard is an honor I know I will always remember and cherish!