Michael Rielly

Miracle on 34th Street Script

Michael Rielly

I stumbled across this today and thought it would be fun to post here. Enjoy!

:sc_wink:

Miracle on 34th Street Script

KRIS: You've got them mixed up. You're making a mistake. You're making a mistake with the reindeer.Tsk tsk tsk. Would you mind stepping out for a moment? Open the door!

STOREKEEPER: I'm sorry. The store isn't open today.

KRIS: I don't want to buy anything...and I'm sorry to interrupt your work...but I wanted to tell you you're making a serious mistake.

STOREKEEPER: Huh?

KRIS: With the reindeer, I mean. You've got Cupid where Blitzen should be. And Dasher should be on my right-hand side.

STOREKEEPER: He should, huh?

KRIS: Yes. And another thing...Donner's antlers have got four points instead of three. Still, I don't suppose anybody would notice except myself.

STOREKEEPER: No. I don't suppose so. Well, bye. Thanks.

KRIS: Not at all. Glad to have helped you. Bye. Yes.

[band playing "Jingle Bells"]

[singing] Jingle bells, jingle bells...

DORIS: You're on float number three. You're on the Pilgrim float. You're on the pirate float. You follow the van.

SHELLHAMMER: Mrs. Walker, something's got to be done. That three-men-in-a-tub float isn't big enough. We can get the butcher and the baker...

DORIS: I'm awfully sorry...but I've got enough to do to take care of the people.

SHELLHAMMER: I was hoping you could... George!

KRIS: I beg your pardon, sir. You seem to have got mixed up with this whip of yours. Allow me, will you? It's quite simple, really. You don't mind if I show you?

DRUNK: No, sir.

KRIS: Now, then. See? It's all in the wrist.

DRUNK: Is that so?

KRIS: Yes, of course. If you follow through.

DRUNK: Is that so?

KRIS: It's just like throwing a ball. If you were to... [sniffs] You've been drinking.

DRUNK: Well, it's cold. A man's got to do something to keep warm.

KRIS: You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Don't you realize there are thousands of children...lining the streets waiting to see you...children who have been dreaming of this moment for weeks? You're a disgrace to the tradition of Christmas...and I refuse to have you malign me in this fashion. Disgusting.

KRIS: Tell me, who's in charge of this parade?

MAN: When you find out, tell me. These pants are gonna fall off in Columbus Circle.

KRIS: I beg your pardon. Who's in charge here?

GIRL: Mrs. Walker. There she is, down there.

KRIS: Thank you.

GIRL: You're welcome.

DORIS: You two ought to be over on first Street.

KRIS: Mrs. Walker, one of the men in your parade...

DORIS: What are you doing out of costume? Get back and get dressed... Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I thought you were our Santa Claus.

KRIS: Your Santa Claus is intoxicated.

DORIS: Oh, no!

KRIS: Yes. It's disgraceful. How can you allow a man to get into such a position?

DRUNK:[singing] Jingle bells, jingle bells...

DORIS: Stop that! What do you mean by drinking? You know it's not allowed.

DRUNK: A man's got to do something to keep warm.

KRIS: I'll warm you. I ought to take this cane...

DORIS: Somebody, Julian, get some black coffee...plenty of it, too.

JULIAN: Yes, Mrs. Walker.

DRUNK: Black with a little cream. Wake me up when the parade starts. [singing] Jingle bells, jingle bells Jingle all the way...

KRIS: Shameful! Absolutely shameful!

DORIS: Could you be Santa Claus? Have you had any experience?

KRIS: Oh, a little.

DORIS: Oh, please. You've got to help me out.

KRIS: Madam! I am not in the habit of substituting...for spurious Santa Clauses.

DORIS: Oh, please.

KRIS: No, I...Well, the children mustn't be disappointed. All right, I'll do it.

< READ THE FULL SCRIPT >

Santa Johnny Boy

Great job Santa Rielly, thanks for posting this link!

I base a lot of my Santa persona on Edmund Gwenn's performance. I like being able to quote passages from the movie whenever the situation warrants. It was a big hit at the Macy's that I worked this past season.

One thing I have yet to master is Edmund Gwenn's accent.

My friend Jim is an ETA (Elvis Tribute Artist). He entertains, sings and dresses like Elvis in local nightclubs. He can sit down and have an entire conversation with you as Elvis with all his accents and manners of speech. Or he can talk to you as Jim, which is completely different.

He was able to do this by watching and listening to hours of Elvis movies and interviews, until he was able to pick-up the finer points of Elvis' speech.

I've studied "Miracle" many times to learn Gwenn's facial expressions, walk and hand movements. My next project is to learn more of his speech, and hopefully be able to ad-lib as him.

And hope that people don't think that I'm insane!

Michael Rielly
Great job Santa Rielly, thanks for posting this link!

I base a lot of my Santa persona on Edmund Gwenn's performance. I like being able to quote passages from the movie whenever the situation warrants. It was a big hit at the Macy's that I worked this past season.

One thing I have yet to master is Edmund Gwenn's accent.

My friend Jim is an ETA (Elvis Tribute Artist). He entertains, sings and dresses like Elvis in local nightclubs. He can sit down and have an entire conversation with you as Elvis with all his accents and manners of speech. Or he can talk to you as Jim, which is completely different.

He was able to do this by watching and listening to hours of Elvis movies and interviews, until he was able to pick-up the finer points of Elvis' speech.

I've studied "Miracle" many times to learn Gwenn's facial expressions, walk and hand movements. My next project is to learn more of his speech, and hopefully be able to ad-lib as him.

And hope that people don't think that I'm insane!

Ha! That's funny! I've done the same thing. I try to use quotes from the movie whenever possible as well! I change my voice a bit too. I've tried to work in a little Edmund Gwenn into my inflection.

Guest clauswithacause

When I was 12 I checked the "Miracle on 34th Street" book out of the library at my junior high. I pretty nearly memorized the book. I still have a copy I came by very shortly there after. The book only had one or two extra scenes in it that were not in the movie. Valentine Davies, came up with the original story, co-wrote the screen play with the director, and wrote the book from the screenplay. I don't think it was a cooincidence that the next Christmas I bought my first Santa suit. BTW the "Christmas is not just a day, but a frame of mind..." Davies lifted from Calvin Coolidge of all people!

Chris

Claus with a Cause

Santa David 2525

Thank you Santa Rielly, for posting this link! When my doctor asked me if I'd ever considerd being Santa Claus It was the "Miracle on 34th Street" I thought of and Edmund Gwenn's wonderful performance. Years before I donned the Red Suit I liked to do my shopping on December 24, walking the malls, talking nicely to the over worked sales people, and smiling at tired children waiting in line. Their reaction when they saw my beard and cap was priceless. I'd wink and motion to be quiet. It was our little secret. I guess the Santa was always inside trying to get out.

Santa Johnny Boy

I downloaded the 1948 Lux Radio performance of "Miracle on 34th Street" from Fictionwise.com. It features Maureen O'Hara, John Payne and Edmund Gwenn reprising their original movie roles in this one hour radio show. Great adaptation, it's fun to hear some of the changes that were made to accomodate radio. I've been listening to it on my car stereo.

Michael Rielly

*bump*

I started going through a few old posts from last year and came across this gem. I am bumping these and others up to the top for some of our new folks to find.

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.