Elf Hermey

Dear Santa: Can't you just be Santa at Christmas?

Elf Hermey
Santa-costumes-gathering-world-records-1
We received this interesting email from a site visitor recently:

Dear Santa,
We returned recently from a little family vacation.
We took a ferry out of Vancouver for a sight seeing tour and shared our boat with several friendly and jolly Santas. I cannot remember where they said they were from. There were seven or eight men dressed in red, white beard and all, and every one of them called themselves Santa.
If I had been alone with my husband this would not have been an issue. But our kids, my son who is 7 and my daughter who is 4, were with us.
All the Santas were very kind.
But why did they have to all be Santa while on vacation?
Why did they have to dress as Santa at all?
It isn’t Christmas time. And they were not part of a Christmas event that we could see.
I have nothing but questions now from my kids.
I really don’t appreciate it.

We won’t add to these comments because they speak well enough for themselves.

Santa Dave

Wow.

Santa Marty

Where is that can o worms I saw floating around here a while back?

David Dixon

It might be a can of worms, but I predict it will smell worse than stink bait by morning.

• Like 1

Shannon

What to wear, hmmm....

null_zpsa43d2511.jpg

• Like 4

NYSanta

and what is the answer Jeffrey Westover sent to this person ?

I would like to see that as well, maybe this will stop that Can of Worms being Opened 

SantaCraig

I guess the Canadian lady didn't get the memo there was a Claus convention on board!

Elf hermy is this story real or fake? You traditionally don't stir the fudge in this direction. But I guess you can't make this stuff up....unreal!

Santa TJS

Multiple Santa's in a public venue runs the risk of this kind of reaction,good thing to keep in mind when we have Santa get together s.

Santa Marty

I would like to comment a little further, but the smell is almost overcoming .. ..*

So.....

I sure hope the Santa's had an enjoyable cruise and a great time together.

SantaJoe

Helpers

• Like 1

Eileen Strom

OMG!! REALLY?!

This is a Santa Run/Dash people!!  

https://www.google.com/search?q=sant+arun+for+charity&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=santa+run+for+charity&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1

It is a charity event that takes place all over the globe for heaven's sake!

One of our own members here avatar is his picture in one of them.

http://www.clausnet.com/forums/user/293-santa-buchan/

382155_464201476971410_822894601_n.jpg

Everyone that participates get a very cheap outfit and beard to put on and they do a 5K or 10K run to raise money for various charities.

Trust me, not even little children confuse any of these people with Santa Claus (real or otherwise).

Edited by Eileen Strom
  • Like 1

SCSanta

These are men of all ages as well as women and children who are making no real attempt to disguise that they are regular folks wearing an obvious costume for a charity event. No one here is trying to fool anyone. 

Santa TJS

I don't believe the photo that is depicted in the article represents what the woman who complained experienced. The photo is a common photo of Santa runs. Apparently she ran into a small group of Santa's a group,or gathering not a Santa run The photo used which was obviously done to depict multiple people in Santa attire.

• Like 3

Santa Johnathan

gallery_5169_921_9430.jpg

Well, I think it CAN be very easy to explain IF you want to (helpers.) Having those individuals ALL introduce themselves as "Santa" is a bit...well...uh...hold on...

gallery_5169_921_129828.jpg

One bulb short of a tree lighting! :) 

It's SO easy to forget how odd it is to have a group of Santas together...it's just...NOT normal. That being said...I do not think Santa visits should be held in shady back alleys with secret codes at the door under the veil of darkness either! As a parent of young ones, my children understand "helpers" and understand that I act "in the name" of Santa Claus FOR Santa Claus...but even that is just not the norm for most. I guess the biggest problem I have with the story is all of the gentlemen using the name Santa...I get it, I understand it, but it's confusing and odd for families that have no idea how our community works. 

I think, while we are out having fun...(and during the holidays I wear a red shirt often) we still need to be mindful of those around, especially the children. To be a Santa in a position for whatever reason you are here...it's still about the children. Why on Earth would we want to come across as causing any confusion or harm to them. 

Bottom line, however much love you feel for portraying Santa; having 8 Santas, dressed as Santa, calling themselves Santa, in season and especially out of season is just NOT normal...we must know this.

• Like 1

Santa Johnathan

OMG!! REALLY?!

This is a Santa Run/Dash people!!  

https://www.google.com/search?q=sant+arun+for+charity&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=santa+run+for+charity&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1

It is a charity event that takes place all over the globe for heaven's sake!

One of our own members here avatar is his picture in one of them.

http://www.clausnet.com/forums/user/293-santa-buchan/

382155_464201476971410_822894601_n.jpg

Everyone that participates get a very cheap outfit and beard to put on and they do a 5K or 10K run to raise money for various charities.

Trust me, not even little children confuse any of these people with Santa Claus (real or otherwise).

Yes, I think this was just a random photo used to get the point across...this photo has nothing to really do with the actual email. 

Michael Rielly

1. Don't shoot the messenger. Elf Hermey is not a real person. It is an automated RSS feed.

2. Photo in Jeff's article is a stock photo.

3. Jeff Westover is on this site, although he doesn't visit often anymore. I don't know if he replied to the emailer. Probably not, but feel free to ask him.

Nick Hudson

I want to put my 2 cents in here, although I'm probably going to get stomped on, bet up and get dirty looks.

When I was in Santa Claus Indiana I watched little kids very confused when Santa's went out together, cars all over saying things to promote there Santa in one way or another. I also was out with our local Santa group (I am the only traditional Santa) and we were eating in a establishment and I overheard a child crying telling mom I thought there was only one Santa. I have also  witnessed the handing out cards from several at once with there Santa n it. I have also been a victim of this when at a local professional sporting event right beside Bass Pro, with the child saying your not the real Santa because I just came from the real one at bass pro and you can't be in two places at the same time  (that's when I decided that  2 weeks before Christmas that I would never do a event like that again)

Ok I get it, we are proud and we want to be good and we like being Santa (lord knows I do) but look around and give it the same respect as if your child or grandchild was sitting there with you watching. Wear blue jeans and a red "poop" and keep them guessing but don't say yes I am the real Santa. 

I love all the Santa's but I have been wanting to get this off my chest for a long time and don't be to critical of me for the way I feel. Be your Santa but just be careful on how you use your Santa. Me?  Mine will stay out of public  until the season and then will fad to private and hospital visits when the time gets closer to Christmas. :merry: 

• Like 2

Shannon

I'm not going to delve too deeply here, but I have a couple of points I'd like to hit on.

First, if the parents were incapable of explaining away the situation then they should have AVOIDED contact. If it had been a bunch of leathered-up Harley dudes they could have managed to avoid them. Or a bunch of guys in drag. Or better, what if it was a bunch of guys in starched white shirts and ties doing Bible study and expressed an interest in talking to their kids... I guarantee they would have found a way to avoid contact!

Second, I find it hard to believe that the parents of a 7 and 4 y.o. is unfamiliar with the "helper" defense. I'm calling BS (butterscotch) on this.

Finally, if someone likes dressing up like they attend Hogwarts, and meeting with other wizarding folks, and I think its all stupid why would I write a nasty letter to J.K. Rowling, or complain to the Harry Potter character at Universal? You want an explanation or an excuse for why a person is behaving the way they do, you know who you can ask? That person! He's the only one responsible for his actions. Mind you, I'm not defending these guys, that's not my job.

• Like 6

Nick Hudson

How does on avoid contact?

Shannon

You avoid contact by telling your child "no" and walking away. I know its a difficult concept in today's parenting.

• Like 2

Nick Hudson

You avoid contact by telling your child "no" and walking away. I know its a difficult concept in today's parenting.

I understand what your saying , but on a parents defense as one is eating or driving or walking or anything else how does one avoid contact. I understand what your saying about the concept of Santa's helpers but I also know it raises a lot of questions for the parent. BS (butterscotch)  can be both ways.

• Like 1

SantaCraig

I'm not going to delve too deeply here, but I have a couple of points I'd like to hit on.

First, if the parents were incapable of explaining away the situation then they should have AVOIDED contact. If it had been a bunch of leathered-up Harley dudes they could have managed to avoid them. Or a bunch of guys in drag. Or better, what if it was a bunch of guys in starched white shirts and ties doing Bible study and expressed an interest in talking to their kids... I guarantee they would have found a way to avoid contact!

Really?  It is not the responsibility of the parents on a cruise ship no less to try and avoid several guys all together calling themselves Santa?  I agree that the parents can help diffuse the situation in certain instances. For example I go to Branson at Christmas time...There is a Santa in Bass pro, walk down the landing and there will be another several hundred yards from the Bass pro. So what do I do? I avoid Bass Pro.  But on a Ship? Sitting there at dinner and 7 or 8 guys all walk  up to you....kind of hard to avoid in my opinion. Yet, we will once again agree to disagree.

Second, I find it hard to believe that the parents of a 7 and 4 y.o. is unfamiliar with the "helper" defense. I'm calling BS (butterscotch) on this. 

The point this person is trying to make is WHY did these guys have the need to make it be known that they were all Santa? Helper, Ambassador or not, why SHOULD a parent have to explain something like this to their children? when the children were innocent bystanders? I call it Ego Pudding!

Finally, if someone likes dressing up like they attend Hogwarts, and meeting with other wizarding folks, and I think its all stupid why would I write a nasty letter to J.K. Rowling, or complain to the Harry Potter character at Universal? You want an explanation or an excuse for why a person is behaving the way they do, you know who you can ask? That person! He's the only one responsible for his actions. Mind you, I'm not defending these guys, that's not my job.  

I wonder if people were on a cruise and saw 8 or 9 wizards coming up to their children would those wizard guys be thought of any differently then 8 or 9 Santas?  Would they be treated differently than men posing as Santa?

Edited by Michael Rielly
fixed quoting for clarity

SCSanta

First of all...I like the Butterscotch (B.S.) slang!  :thumbup2:

But more importantly...why is 'avoiding' a better option than explaining? Parents should talk to their kids and explain the things they don't understand. This can be done in a way that makes sense for each circumstance that suits their child's age and conforms to the traditions and beliefs of the family. Once it is explained, you don't need to worry about avoiding it. Save the avoiding for things that are dangerous. 

:m2c:

• Like 2

Shannon

I don't think the real issue in the story from the OP was seeing these guys, but rather the position it put the parents in when guys all claimed to be Santa, I.e. the problem was a result of interactions. The parents could have avoided the interactions, but choose not to, and then were unhappy with the outcome. Not my problem, I don't know the whole story, and I'm done with the discussion. No offense taken, none intended, but weary of the judgmentalism.

BTW, I don't have much of a Libretarian streak, but all these discussions about how I should conduct myself make me want to buy one one those big "SANTA" belts and wear it every day! LOL

Edited by Shannon

Nick Hudson

I don't think the real issue in the story from the OP was seeing these guys, but rather the position it put the parents in when guys all claimed to be Santa, I.e. the problem was a result of interactions. The parents could have avoided the interactions, but choose not to, and then were unhappy with the outcome. Not my problem, I don't know the whole story, and I'm done with the discussion. No offense taken, none intended, but weary of the judgmentalism.

Yes I agree we don't know the whole story and I see the dress up as nothing but a dress up, but I see the problem in claiming to be Santa. None of us should claim that role, a wink, a gesture, a smile and a little class keeps the magic in Santa and Christmas alike. Just respect one and another and the children we all dedicate ourselves to.

• Like 1