Elf Hermey

Another School Caves to Humanist Threat of Lawsuit

Elf Hermey

holiday-interior-ad-300dpi

A Colorado school becomes the second in a week to curtail charitable activities associated with Operation Christmas Child.

SkyView Academy received a letter from the American Humanist Association threatening legal action if the school was a part of Operation Christmas Child, said Lorrie Grove, SkyView Academy board president.

“We felt shocked and disappointed,” she said. “It was hard to believe we were receiving a threatening letter based on the good intentions of our students.”

An email from the school to parents, informing them of the situation and decision, was sent out last week, just days before donations were scheduled to be collected.

The Samaritan’s Purse, a non-denominational Christian organization, sends shoeboxes filled with hygiene items, candy and gifts — and a Gospel message — to children around the world.

A group of SkyView students have been participating in the program for the past two years as part of their chosen community service project, Grove said.

Kimberly Saviano, president of the Humanists of Colorado, a local chapter of American Humanist Association, said she was unaware who sent the letter, but she agreed with what it said.

“I love the idea of the gifts to children, but there are certain proprieties tied with something like this, and that is when they go off the rails,” Saviano said.

The issue is not the gift, but the religious message that comes along with it, which acts as a catch for the generosity, Saviano said.

“There are places for these type of things and a public school is not one of them,” she said.

It was the SkyView board’s determination to cut ties with the program, not the district’s, said Michelle Yi, Douglas County School District spokeswoman.

“We respect that decision,” she said.

The choice may have been unanimous, but it was not an easy one to make, Grove said of the board’s move.

“It’s disappointing some meaningful efforts of our students were misinterpreted,” she said.

Some parents said they are appalled by the letter, but understand the school had to make the decision.

“It’s the definition of bullying,” said Kendal Unruh, a SkyView parent. “They know where these toys are going, and this effects innocent children all over the country.”

A rally will be held outside SkyView, on the public sidewalk, Wednesday afternoon as school gets out, in response to the letter, Unruh said.

Ruth VanSant, whose daughter Michaela was one of the founding members of the group to participate in Operation Christmas Child, said the students’ compassion has not been stifled.

“This is still happening,” she said.

Parents and students will be collecting for Operation Christmas Child before and after school, near the building on public property, VanSant said.

To get an idea of what packing a box means, please see this video featuring Uncle Si of Duck Dynasty:

View the full article

KKringle

Can't every just live and let live?

• Like 1

Santa Roberts

I am all for separation of church and state, but this is nonsense. They weren't proselytizing, they were just trying to do something nice for underprivileged children. Sometimes I think there are way too many busybodies in this world. 

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

All because one person complained.

Cayman Claus

All because one person complained.

Well, it's a little more than a complaint when a lawsuit is threatened.  They're just terribly expensive and a complete waste of time and unfortunately can be used as an effective bullying tactic by groups like this.  

Depending on how it all might have played out, a lawsuit in this case may very well have made it all the way to the Colorado Supreme Court and cost the school more than $1 million.  They likely would have won at the trial court level based on public (majority) sentiment, but that same verdict could have easily been revered on appeal for any number of mistakes in the application of law (as opposed to factual determinations which are strictly within the province of the trial court).  I suspect that their legal counsel advised them to this general effect because its not like it would be a "slam dunk" type of case that they could win prior to trail on a motion to dismiss; not when there is a constitutional issue involved.

KKringle

Again, Live and Let Live. All I have to say@

Nick Hudson

I was at a elementary school last Saturday, I had 200 kids plus parents along with the PTA and the principle, we had a blast and guess what, it was Merry Christmas all the way. I am one who does not care if it's Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, it doesn't make anything more or less of Christmas , the ones who want to keep it as a Christian Holiday will and it's no different than going to church or not to me.

PS I am a Christian

• Like 1

Eileen Strom

What I want to know is when is the WHOLE Christian Community going to stand together and fight this stuff? As usual, they complain, and then do not do anything about it.

I can bet you dollars to donuts that if this issue was related to something against the Muslim religion, that the ruckus against it would be every news story for weeks! Why? Because whether you like it/them or not, they stand together and push back...and you know what? They usually win don't they.

davidjcross1984

I agree with you Eileen completely it's time we stand up and say enough

KKringle

The dollar is the route of all this. I think we should all celebrate our diverse unique selves. We should celebrate the Human race and it's differences.  I have quoted this before and I will again. " Peace will only prevail when what is the same about us is more important than what is different." That includes our beliefs. Let's Just be loving and peaceful people. Is that too much to ask? That is being a true Christian in my book.

Edited by KKringle

Santa Postman Pat

The point is, the gospel message may confuse / exclude kids of other belief systems...

Live & let live is a 2 way street & we're about peace, happiness & cheer, no matter what path leads you there...

RIP Rob FIgley said it best. Apply it to religion, PLEASE.

"I have just one thing to say about this...Have some people lost their minds?

Look, I don't care one wit what your political or social views are. For all I care, and in fact I encourage you, scream your political beliefs from every roof top and every newspaper letters section and every social media site across America. That's your right. As long as you do it as Yourself.

But when you start doing it as a character that I and others work hard at portraying you have crossed a line!!! You are infringing on the right of every single other person who wishes to portray Santa or Mrs. Claus by forcing a political opinion off on the character.

Do we want to create a situation where a child sits on your lap, look up at you and says "My Mommy and Daddy like the President. Does that mean I don't get presents?"

Please, just like I do not force my political views down your throat and force you to accept them, try to use good sense and do not force your views down my throat and force me to accept them either. Because that is exactly what you are doing when you take the political soap box in your Santa or Mrs. Claus persona. When you speak as Santa, you speak as me, and thousands of others just like me, who may or may not share your views but understand that Santa cannot be publicly slinging political mud and still be Santa.

If you want to express your political views on Facebook or other social media, as is your complete and total right to do, please do it as yourself. Leave the character that I and many others love and enjoy playing out of it.

Thank you for your time.

End of rant."

SCSanta

Once again...why is it always an "All or Nothing" proposition? Can't the public school kids collect the donations, assemble the shoe box gifts and see that they get to kids in need without using a group that adds a Gospel message to the boxes? I am sure there are plenty of groups willing to distribute the donations. Nobody seems willing to compromise on anything anymore...It's always "My Way or the Highway" with innocent victims caught in the middle. 

• Like 1

KKringle

Once again...why is it always an "All or Nothing" proposition? Can't the public school kids collect the donations, assemble the shoe box gifts and see that they get to kids in need without using a group that adds a Gospel message to the boxes? I am sure there are plenty of groups willing to distribute the donations. Nobody seems willing to compromise on anything anymore...It's always "My Way or the Highway" with innocent victims caught in the middle. 

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head.

Santa Postman Pat

Seems to me, if you want to spread a religious message, the best place is in church & by the example you set ...as you live your lives.

Santa Postman Pat

I thought seriously about this ....

I feel WE ALL need to determine what's REALLY IMPORTANT EVERY CHRISTMAS SEASON & if it's not the happiness of the families we're ALLOWED to serve, you're in the wrong business.

• Like 1

KKringle

I thought seriously about this ....

I feel WE ALL need to determine what's REALLY IMPORTANT EVERY CHRISTMAS SEASON & if it's not the happiness of the families we're ALLOWED to serve, you're in the wrong business.

You are correct. We serve those who want to be served. It's all we can do. Giving of ourselves is universal though and has to be done not just at Christmas.  Our example is what teaches. I know that to be true as a teacher too. I do understand what you are saying. I am not condemning or judging anyone. I just feel we could all get along better and learn that love is a true gift. 

Morgan Putnam

This is one of those threads that really makes me stop and think.

Do I think a public school, supported by taxpayer dollars, should be working with a charity that espouses and evangelizes (even benignly like this charity does) a particular religious message?

No.  I think it's a pretty clear violation of church and state.  Some folks don't have a problem with that.  I do.  The history on the subject's pretty clear.  When the rulers have a different religion than you do...it doesn't go to well.

Ask the Catholics under King Henry or any Christian in Iran.  History's just replete with examples.

All that being said...there's a LOT to be said for local autonomy on issues like this.  And if a particular school insisted on doing business with a particular charity in the fashion described above--I wouldn't make too much noise about it.

As long as they're not boxing out any Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or whoever wants to play ball too.  It's the favoring or one religion over another or the inherent sanctioning; that I have trouble with.

Other people above me in this thread have said it better than I can.  "We vs. They" is a trap.  There's just "US" on this little blue marble of finite resources in a true infinity of space.  Our insignificance is mind-boggling.

Yet we insist on fighting amongst ourselves based upon (of all things) what we believe .  Belief is a tricky thing.  It can cause a man to fight to the death for what he thinks is right against another man equally convinced that his is the morally just cause.

And in the final analysis, after all the hyperbole, and fighting, and (sometimes) bloodshed ;  they're selling Coca-Cola in Saigon (Ho-Chi-Minh-City, if you insist‎) and China has a stock exchange.

I'm not saying "NEVER fight" .  I'm glad we got rid of the gas chambers and swastikas.   I'm saying...the human race needs to take a conflict resolution class.

Just my opinion.  But as my old man used to say, "Opinions are like rectums, everybody's got one and most of them stink" .  Only he didn't use the word 'rectums' .

So...I did my part to stink up this thread.  :)

Santa Danny

I think Facebook is the PERFECT place to discuss religion and politics. I wish we could leave it OFF Clausnet. I have been accused of being a "trouble-maker" on Facebook. I could say the same about some on Clausnet. And that is the end of my rant.

KKringle

This is one of those threads that really makes me stop and think.

Do I think a public school, supported by taxpayer dollars, should be working with a charity that espouses and evangelizes (even benignly like this charity does) a particular religious message?

No.  I think it's a pretty clear violation of church and state.  Some folks don't have a problem with that.  I do.  The history on the subject's pretty clear.  When the rulers have a different religion than you do...it doesn't go to well.

Ask the Catholics under King Henry or any Christian in Iran.  History's just replete with examples.

All that being said...there's a LOT to be said for local autonomy on issues like this.  And if a particular school insisted on doing business with a particular charity in the fashion described above--I wouldn't make too much noise about it.

As long as they're not boxing out any Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or whoever wants to play ball too.  It's the favoring or one religion over another or the inherent sanctioning; that I have trouble with.

Other people above me in this thread have said it better than I can.  "We vs. They" is a trap.  There's just "US" on this little blue marble of finite resources in a true infinity of space.  Our insignificance is mind-boggling.

Yet we insist on fighting amongst ourselves based upon (of all things) what we believe .  Belief is a tricky thing.  It can cause a man to fight to the death for what he thinks is right against another man equally convinced that his is the morally just cause.

And in the final analysis, after all the hyperbole, and fighting, and (sometimes) bloodshed ;  they're selling Coca-Cola in Saigon (Ho-Chi-Minh-City, if you insist‎) and China has a stock exchange.

I'm not saying "NEVER fight" .  I'm glad we got rid of the gas chambers and swastikas.   I'm saying...the human race needs to take a conflict resolution class.

Just my opinion.  But as my old man used to say, "Opinions are like rectums, everybody's got one and most of them stink" .  Only he didn't use the word 'rectums' .

So...I did my part to stink up this thread.  :)

Well Said.

Nick Hudson

Leave religion to family and church's, keep it out of our government and hand me my $300 bucks for two hours and I'll be happy and I am ! :sc_rofl:

Nick Hudson

By the way I have a very serious look on this and I keep it to myself so the post I made above was just a pun, I just hate seeing people get into a religious topic when we are all brothers to support one another and it will tear people apart. It's funny that the very land that God walked upon cannot be in peace and the suffering of many children and people happen just because people can't get along with oneself because the can't agree upon the way to praise God. Look around yourself and how many dying children are jus wanting a warm place to sleep or a good meal? God gave us  a gift to take the red suit and give a little comfort this time of year and we need focus on that in my opinion. I watch children ages and look at them deep (I shouldn't) I hear I want a Ipod, I want a Barbie, I want a Lego, I want a Bike, I want a Scooter, I want I want I want, and then I see the one child that  is beat up and not in good cloths and they look at me with the puppy dog eyes and they :crying: want a warm place to sleep, a friend, a dad, a meal, a chance or even a day of just not having pain. Some only have a meal at the school, or it's the only balance they have in life or even the only place to get warm so just be glad you can be what you are and enjoy Christmas or happy holiday or whatever in the end who cares but you and your God and only he will judge!

:merry:

• Like 1

KKringle

By the way I have a very serious look on this and I keep it to myself so the post I made above was just a pun, I just hate seeing people get into a religious topic when we are all brothers to support one another and it will tear people apart. It's funny that the very land that God walked upon cannot be in peace and the suffering of many children and people happen just because people can't get along with oneself because the can't agree upon the way to praise God. Look around yourself and how many dying children are jus wanting a warm place to sleep or a good meal? God gave us  a gift to take the red suit and give a little comfort this time of year and we need focus on that in my opinion. I watch children ages and look at them deep (I shouldn't) I hear I want a Ipod, I want a Barbie, I want a Lego, I want a Bike, I want a Scooter, I want I want I want, and then I see the one child that  is beat up and not in good cloths and they look at me with the puppy dog eyes and they :crying: want a warm place to sleep, a friend, a dad, a meal, a chance or even a day of just not having pain. Some only have a meal at the school, or it's the only balance they have in life or even the only place to get warm so just be glad you can be what you are and enjoy Christmas or happy holiday or whatever in the end who cares but you and your God and only he will judge!

Well stated my friend. We have to look for the common good of all humankind. 

Morgan Putnam

Amen!

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.