Sign in to follow this  
Elf Hermey

Comedy Central Nails the War on Christmas

Elf Hermey

politifact_photos_TreeFighting2

Is Jon Stewart actually right about the war on Christmas?

YES.

Well, mostly. He’s missing the other side of the absurdity — the blatant abuse of Christmas by the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the American Humanist Association.

But his points on Bill O’Reilly and Sarah Palin are dead on correct.

The “war on Christmas” is perpetuated by the continual call for alarm where there is none. Yes, the occasional school gets out of line and folks have to remind them that the courts have said that Christmas music in schools are OK. And yes, the FFRF and AHA and others are suing frivolously to advance their agenda of faithlessness. And yes some retailer are saying naughty things such as “Happy Holidays”.

But does all that constitute a “war” on Christmas?

Have you seen Christmas diminish in any way? Have you seen a Berlin-style ban on Christmas in the USA?

Just who is absurd here?

95 percent of people feel the War on Christmas is absurd for some of the very reasons Stewart hilariously illustrates.

View the full article

Santa Danny

Ok, We get the point. The creator of "Defend Christmas" doesn’t think there is a war on Christmas and is also not fond of Fox News or Sarah Palin. I love how this person criticized Sarah Palin for publishing a book about the war on Christmas at Christmas time: "Her publishing a book some 45-days before Christmas makes her guilty of commercializing Christmas as much as anyone. When this book was announced in March would have been a better time for her to make her case." but we keep getting bombarded with these news stories from "Defend Christmas" right here in December.  I really wish we could leave politics and religion at the door when we enter Clausnet, There are so many other places to discuss these subjects.

• Like 1

Jeff Westover

Ah...sad to see one who is a public face of Christmas to many not understand Christmas. If you don't contribute to the solution you're part of the problem.

http://defendchristmas.com/you-dont-understand-this-website/

• Like 1

Santa Danny

Mr. Westover, you are the one who does not understand the TRUE meaning of Christmas. And as for the problem, I could and do say the same about you.

• Like 1

Santa Johnathan

Regardless of side, regardless of cause, regardless of politics, regardless of religion, the "Defend Christmas" site is rot with opinion. Opinion, regardless of how well meaning you are, is always open for debate and will draw out those that have differing opinions. I will be the cheesy one and say, "can't we all just get along." "Defend Christmas" is certainly not a news source, as much as it might want to be, it's a blog...and with all blogs, must try to demonstrate it has relevance to readership. It has made good points, and has differed in opinion to how I feel occasionally...whatever, I do not come to Clausnet for that...and had never heard of the site until I was here. 

I truly believe there is a war on Christmas but "war" might be a bit harsh in the word selection. There is a "war" on Christmas in that the Christmas I chose to celebrate, and the Christmas my children celebrate now, it very much different and I as a parent must supplement a lot. The Christmas I celebrate with all the religious meaning behind it, has been taken away. It means I put my children in private school and they can sing "Silent Night" with all of their hearts. 

This "war" often comes in the form of our own choosing though. In our own fear oftentimes of wanting to be taken as sincere, tolerant, understanding, and dare I say...politically correct. The problem lies when we want everyone to feel welcome, we want everyone to feel represented, but we each believe things that do the exact opposite of that to others. Does my nativity or "silent night" singing offend someone? ...it most certainly does but to some, they cry "offended" not because they truly are, but because there is an agenda to pass.

At the same time, when we look at modern news, it's all blown out of context. Both sides are made to look bigger, huge, angry, that's what sells. It's a WAR!!!! RUN!!!! Well, again..."war" to me seams a harsh word.  

I do not think there is something wrong with saying "Happy Holidays." I personally, even as I portray Santa, will say, "Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas." - that's my norm. 

We have the freedom to believe what we want, we have the freedom to worship how we choose, for some, the problem is this country has never separated church and state, it might look good on paper...but it's never been done. Regardless of religion...there has always been a fundamental "God" at the center of those beliefs...this is not true any longer and the changes that come about from this are quite saddening as our culture changes in this litigious society. 

Let's focus on portraying Santa. 

And one word of note, this post is filled with opinion...you can choose to be offended or take it with a grain of salt and move along...either way is okay with me. Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas!

Also, Santa Danny...you set the bar high for us Santas. Continue doing what you do and spread that Christmas cheer!

Edited by Santa Johnathan
  • Like 3

Santa Danny

Also, Santa Danny...you set the bar high for us Santas. Continue doing what you do and spread that Christmas cheer!

Thanks Santa Johnathan! I appreciate your kind words. I should have not responded to this post and let it pass like most others do on these re-posts from "Defending Christmas" but I let this one get under my skin. I do not like seeing this stuff on Clausnet and I apologize for adding to it. Merry Christmas everyone! Just 20 more days!

SCSanta

Ah...sad to see one who is a public face of Christmas to many not understand Christmas. If you don't contribute to the solution you're part of the problem.

http://defendchristmas.com/you-dont-understand-this-website/

Mr. Westover, you are the one who does not understand the TRUE meaning of Christmas. And as for the problem, I could and do say the same about you.

Danny, I would never imagine that you don't understand the meaning of Christmas and I am shocked that someone would suggest such a thing. Of course, I have taken the time to get to know you a little and we have talked and shared a few meals together, so what do I know?

I fail to understand how someone could make the leap that not agreeing with a person's blog is the same as not understanding Christmas. As if there were only one way to understand Christmas!!! 

• Like 2

Michael Rielly

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is allowed to express their particular point of view! Disagreements are expected and debate is encouraged. On this site you are not required to respect other opinions, but you must respect the person's right to express it.

I am often asked, "why do you include these feeds from other sites?" The reason is simple. The purpose of this site is not to just post pictures of yourself and boast about how great you are. The purpose of ClausNet is to generate discussions, exchange ideas, and pass on what we have learned to the next generation of Santas and Mrs. Clauses. This has always been the objective and the mission of ClausNet; and if it isn't obvious, the Santa Claus Oath and the International Santa Claus Hall of Fame.

I also hear, "that's just a blog site, it's not news". Really? Show me ONE "news" organization today that is NOT opinion or laced with a particular point of view. AP? Reuters? CNN? MSNBC? ABC? CBS? Huffington Post? FOX? People that complain about bloggers or social networks do not understand the new media. Social Networks, which includes and actually began as bloggers, has exposed more "news" in the past 10 years than any "news organization". 

If all you want from an online community is to post your pictures, boast, and slap each other on the back, then I suggest Facebook may be a better alternative. 

• Like 2

Jeff Westover

Defend Christmas doesn't pretend to be a news site or a blog. It merely archives the needless exploitation of Christmas by those who use it as a vehicle to promote issues unrelated to Christmas. Christmas is peace and goodwill. If there is one lesson of nearly 20 years of operating Christmas communities it is that most people from most areas of the world despite whatever faith (or lack of faith, even) love Christmas and want it left alone so they can celebrate it in their own way. But it's not -- it's used by everyone from Fox News to Greenpeace to promote their agendas and sell their goods.

The fact that it is here may or may not be relevant to some. If it isn't relative to you, that's fine. I'm certain there are other items of value to you on Clausnet. What you may not know is that Defend Christmas receives a lot of feedback from this community away from Clausnet because many here are engaged in the conversations of Christmas and concerned with what they are seeing out there.

There has NEVER been a time in history when Christmas hasn't mixed with religion and politics. It is an age old conversation and it won't end here.

And is it any coincidence the majority of stories come out the first week of December?

Santa Johnathan

Everyone has an opinion and everyone is allowed to express their particular point of view! Disagreements are expected and debate is encouraged. On this site you are not required to respect other opinions, but you must respect the person's right to express it.

I am often asked, "why do you include these feeds from other sites?" The reason is simple. The purpose of this site is not to just post pictures of yourself and boast about how great you are. The purpose of ClausNet is to generate discussions, exchange ideas, and pass on what we have learned to the next generation of Santas and Mrs. Clauses. This has always been the objective and the mission of ClausNet; and if it isn't obvious, the Santa Claus Oath and the International Santa Claus Hall of Fame.

I agree with you Michael, it does no good living in a fog and not knowing what's going on in the world of Christmas...we certainly have an interest in the subject for sure. I appreciate reading what's going on in the world of Christmas at times. But it certainly feels like at times, our friend "Hermey" is just trying to start something around here and stir the pot. And, while an epic Santa Claus "Jets and Sharks" dance routine alla West Side Story could be cool to watch...there is so much more worth our time, efforts, and energy. ;) Haha We must respect a person's right to express themselves, but it certainly should also be done respectfully too. Danny was commenting on "Defend Christmas" but Jeff seemed to make it personal against Danny.

It would certainly be nice to have an option to click "no" to the automated topics pulled from the web and posted here...but that's just wishful thinking. While I personally like to read what's going on, I must say...during the moment of Christmas, during the season, it just makes me sad and seems to SPAM my Christmas cheer with negativity. I would rather spend my time learning to be a better Santa, not "post pictures, boast, and slap each other on the back" but that is part of it for some, that's the social aspect that makes Clausnet fun too...but there is major studying that goes on here too which is also wonderful and a great support for each other. You Michael, have created something special here.  

I have learned to ignore "Hermey" when I'm not in the mood...but sometimes, the topic title sucks me in. When I read someone that pretty much stays behind the scenes write something as Jeff did to Santa Danny who is very much a contributor that I respect...it makes me sad. This is Christmas...no time for negative around here if we can help it...the world is doing enough of that as it is. This should be the place for our wonderful Santas to recharge, to feel inspired, and ready for another great day doing great things and getting help when they need it. 

Christmas is peace and goodwill. If there is one lesson of nearly 20 years of operating Christmas communities it is that most people from most areas of the world despite whatever faith (or lack of faith, even) love Christmas and want it left alone so they can celebrate it in their own way. But it's not -- it's used by everyone from Fox News to Greenpeace to promote their agendas and sell their goods.

I completely agree with you here. And it seems whenever there is an issue where someone can take sides, the sides are ALWAYS exaggerated by the other...it sells more when you can make a bigger deal and point a bigger finger out of the other. It's just sad. 

• Like 1

Michael Rielly

I agree with you Michael, it does no good living in a fog and not knowing what's going on in the world of Christmas...we certainly have an interest in the subject for sure. I appreciate reading what's going on in the world of Christmas at times. But it certainly feels like at times, our friend "Hermey" is just trying to start something around here and stir the pot. And, while an epic Santa Claus "Jets and Sharks" dance routine alla West Side Story could be cool to watch...there is so much more worth our time, efforts, and energy. ;) Haha We must respect a person's right to express themselves, but it certainly should also be done respectfully too. Danny was commenting on "Defend Christmas" but Jeff seemed to make it personal against Danny.

It would certainly be nice to have an option to click "no" to the automated topics pulled from the web and posted here...but that's just wishful thinking. While I personally like to read what's going on, I must say...during the moment of Christmas, during the season, it just makes me sad and seems to SPAM my Christmas cheer with negativity. I would rather spend my time learning to be a better Santa, not "post pictures, boast, and slap each other on the back" but that is part of it for some, that's the social aspect that makes Clausnet fun too...but there is major studying that goes on here too which is also wonderful and a great support for each other. You Michael, have created something special here.  

I have learned to ignore "Hermey" when I'm not in the mood...but sometimes, the topic title sucks me in. When I read someone that pretty much stays behind the scenes write something as Jeff did to Santa Danny who is very much a contributor that I respect...it makes me sad. This is Christmas...no time for negative around here if we can help it...the world is doing enough of that as it is. This should be the place for our wonderful Santas to recharge, to feel inspired, and ready for another great day doing great things and getting help when they need it. 

I completely agree with you here. And it seems whenever there is an issue where someone can take sides, the sides are ALWAYS exaggerated by the other...it sells more when you can make a bigger deal and point a bigger finger out of the other. It's just sad. 

I've posted this multiple times. You can configure what content you see here using your personal settings.

• Like 1

Santa Johnathan

I've posted this multiple times. You can configure what content you see here using your personal settings.

Please forgive my ignorance...I'll check it out. 

St.nickolasmillikan

Its truly simple Christmas is not going anywhere as Santa's we will not let it there are just some people in this world that like to complain about everything.

I have never seen some one with a Jamaica on and thought how dare he or stopped a nun and asked her to not to go out in to public in her habit, it would be the same as if I was to start a group that didn't like cats and we wanted all cats removed from public view and let no kid be seen with a cat t-shirt on in schools is offensive, that's ridicules but its the same thing that's happening today a group of people don't like Christmas for what ever reason and want it stopped I truly think as a people we need to start showing love instead of hating someone because they don't do things the same way as you do but that's just my :m2c: .   

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.