Sign in to follow this  
Elf Without Jingles

Santa shot with pellet gun at Southeast toy giveaway

Elf Without Jingles

VIDEO: Santa Claus shot with pellet gun at toy giveaway in Southeast

by Kris van Cleave, WJLA-TV/DT, Washington, D.C. | Posted: 12.24.2013 @ 09:29 AM EST

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WJLA) --- A man in a Santa Claus suit was shot in the back with a pellet gun earlier this morning at a toy giveaway session in Southeast Washington, D.C.

According to an ABC7 photographer who was interviewing the victim at the time of the shooting, the man in the Santa suit was struck in his upper back. He was transported to a nearby hospital, with the pellet still lodged in his shoulder.

Witnesses report hearing at least two shots. Police believe they came from a second-story window in a nearby building.

"Santa" wanted to continue giving away his presents, but paramedics insisted that he be transported to the hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery. The toy giveaway, meanwhile, continued, with a man disguised as the Grinch filling in..

SOURCE:

Edited by Elf Without Jingles

Santa Johnathan

It's shocking and yet, not surprising this hasn't happened yet. Being the Santa in televised parade located in Oakland, CA ...it's a conversation each year about the safety of those participating in the parade, especially the big red suited guy. It would certainly be a big statement "taking out" Santa in the middle of a parade. 

I'm certainly glad it was just a pellet gun but those can cause some pretty darn serious damage too. Very sad indeed. 

Santa Leonard

I'm surprised this has not happened before.

Santa John Y

Good grief! So now some need to wear a flack vest under the cool vest?

Santa Marty

It is always something.

Society is getting out of hand, there is little innocence anymore & people are out for the shock factor. Each time something over the top.

Posted via a mobile device.

Santa Joel

Bad, Bad, Bad. Might need something like the Pope mobile, a sleigh with a Plexiglas shield. 

Santa Johnathan

What's even sadder is the chances of the shooter being a teenager and thinking they were being funny or showing off to friends. It's the same with the "knock out" game (search YouTube) with individuals just not caring for anyone else...no respect, no heart, just stupidity.

Ricky Claus

NAUGHTY LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR LIFE.

Santa Arthur

It could have been worse. Remember Ralphie and "You'll shoot your eye out". Fortunately this did not happen.

I remember several years ago when all of the mall Santas in the Denver, Co area were threatened and most malls there went without Santa that year. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Santa Arthur

Elf Without Jingles

Thanks to the Christmas Eve Washington Post, we now know the victim's name:

Man dressed as Santa Claus shot with pellet gun in Southeast Washington

by Peter Hernan, The Washington Post | Published: 12/24/2013

EXCERPT:

WASHINGTON, D.C. --- The man dressed as Santa Claus walking along Stevens Road in Southeast Washington saw three babies peering at him from a window, and then he did what any Santa would do. Pumped with holiday cheer, 50-year-old Xavier Hawkins turned, waved, and shouted the traditional festive greeting.

"Man, this is awesome," Hawkins exclaimed on Christmas Eve morning, as he prepared to hand out presents to some 800 needy children. "Oh, yes! Merry ...."

And that's when a sharp pain cut through the Maryland resident's upper back. Hawkins, a driver for the global moving company Interstate who had been portraying Santa for the past seven years, had been hit with at least a single blast from a pellet gun.

The wound was minor --- a large welt --- and Hawkins was immediately treated at a hospital and released. The shooting was captured by a television cameraman for WJLA (Channel 7) who was filing a story on the 22nd annual gift event.

Santa being Santa, he had an entourage. Co-workers from Interstate, which sponsors the event, children and parents from the neighborhood, and several D.C. Metro Police officers rushed to help, as did members of Hawkins' family --- three daughters (11-year-old twins and a 16-year-old), a nephew, and a 10-year-old grandson.

"I told them, 'Remember, if you look at Christmas, you got that little bad boy they call the Scrooge. Well, the Scrooge was out there, and he got your daddy,' " said Hawkins.

Interstate sponsors the event in part to recall the company's roots --- it was founded in 1943, in Barry Farm. Although it moved its corporate headquarters to Alexandria, Va. in 1971, its workers continue to help the struggling District neighborhood of Anacostia, which has been beset by crime and economic hardship.

SOURCE:

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.