Elf Hermey

Mayor Tells Family to Take Down Christmas Decor on Christmas Eve

Elf Hermey

tenafly

According to local media the mayor of one New Jersey town knocked on a citizen’s door on Christmas Eve and asked the family there to remove Christmas decorations allegedly found offensive by another neighbor.

Working with neighbors the Alvator family of Tenafly, New Jersey set out 300 decorative luminaries to celebrate Christmas. They claim to have cleared the action with local fire and police departments ahead of time.

“Our neighbors, from all different backgrounds, sent their children out to help fill the bags and light the candles early in the evening on Christmas Eve. We loved it. We thought it was a great sense of community,” said Scott Semone.

But by the time they sat down to a Christmas dinner around 9pm the mayor was knocking on the door and asking that the luminaries be removed. He claimed a neighbor a few doors down was offended by the candles and that he, being Jewish, understood how this neighbor felt.

“It had nothing to do with religion. It was about bringing people in our neighborhood closer together,” Jason Alvator said.

View the full article

Ricky Claus

I'd say if the joining neighbor didn't agree with it he/she could have removed them from in front of their house. Where was the mayor's backbone. It is no more than saying we are joining together. Now days its hard to trust your neighbor anymore. Communities are falling apart and becoming more individuals as the world in it self is turning. Only we can make the change one step at a time. Smile and wave and wish them a good day.

• Like 1

St.nickolasmillikan

I read things like this and I think were have the times gone when your neighbors were friends and stopped by to just say hi, I remember as a kid my grandma would make a cake and put it out but it wasn't for the kids it was for when the neighbors came over so she would have something to offer them, now your neighbor knows on your door and you don't even take the lock off to talk to them.  

Santa Steve H

Just a sad story...

Morgan Putnam

The Meaning of Candles in Judaism

Candles have a variety of meanings within Judaism. Candlelight is often thought of as a reminder of God's divine presence. Candles lit during Jewish holidays and on Shabbat serve as reminders that the occasion is holy and distinct from our day-to-day life. The two candles lit on Shabbat also serve as a reminder of the biblical requirements to "remember" (Exodus 20:8) and "keep" (Deuteronomy 5:12) the Sabbath. Candles are also equated with joy in Judaism, drawing upon a passage in the biblical book of Esther that equates light and joy (Esther 8:16).

In Jewish tradition the candle flame is also thought to symbolically represent the human soul and serves as a reminder for the frailty and beauty of life. The connection between candle flames and souls derives originally from the Book of Proverbs (20:27): "The soul of man is the candle of G-d." Like a human soul, flames must breath, change, grow, strive against the darkness and, ultimately, fade away. Thus, the flickering of candlelight helps to remind us of the precious fragility of our life and the lives of our loved ones, life that must be embraced and cherished at all times. Because of this symbolism, Jews light memorial candles on certain holidays and their loved ones' yahrzeits.

http://judaism.about.com/od/jewishculture/a/What-Do-Candles-Represent-In-Judaism.htm

I'm not seeing the issue here.

Jews certainly don't have a monopoly on candle use at holidays and there's nothing inherently offensive (to a Jew) about their display by a Gentile.

So...what's the issue?  EXACTLY, what does the neigbor/mayor find offensive in their display?

Now if they'd run Menorahs up and down the block...I'd give you that.

Again, with the sloppy research.

Edited by Morgan

Santa Leonard

And people say there is not a "war on Christmas"?

KKringle

I have friends who are Jewish and Muslim in our community. They put candles in their windows and white lights in their trees...,  If for no other reason that they find it pretty and serene. I have friends in New Brunswick, New Jersey who are also Jewish and their house is decorated more that many of the others. It is about a sense of community. People just want to hear themselves complain and watch others get hurt in the process.  The mayor had no place telling these people what they could do on their own property. I just don't get why some people are just so ignorant and intolerant. 

Florida Kris Kringle

Is it just me, or would anyone else have closed the door in the mayor's face? Before I did, I would tell him that I will be here with my display for many years to come, while you'll only be in office ______ (fill in the blank).

• Like 1

Chris Capstone

When I read this my first thought was "Show me what city ordinance I'm violating or get off my lawn."  Who does this mayor think he is?  He thinks has the authority to ask someone to remove Christmas decorations from their private property?  He should be glad he lives in NJ because if he did that in Oklahoma he would likely get a butt whoopin'.

• Like 3

Santa TJS

Time to organize a recall on that Mayor and put him out of office

Santa Marty

Over stepping of governmental authority.

If you like your mayor, you can keep him, period!

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.