Michael Rielly

Arthur Rankin Jr, ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’ co-producer dies, age 89

Michael Rielly

Arthur Rankin Jr, ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’ co-producer dies, age 89

The Royal Gazette

By Jonathan Bell
January 31, 2014

EXCERPT:

Broadcasting legend Arthur Rankin Jr — the animator, producer and director behind some of television’s most enduring holiday specials — has died in his 90th year following a bout of illness.

Bermuda’s own movie mogul, who cornered the market for Christmas specials with his US partner Jules Bass, passed away yesterday morning at his home by Harrington Sound.

Starting in the early 1960s, Mr Rankin won the hearts of TV audiences with whimsical stop-motion animation.

His company, Rankin/Bass Productions, created perennial classics such as “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” that made broadcast history.

He is survived by his wife Olga, a Greek-born actress who in 2010 became the oldest newly graduated lawyer called to the Bermuda Bar — as well as sons Todd and Gardner.

“A great man of innate curiosity who gave so willingly of his time — I was blessed to be in his circle of friends,” said Masterworks Foundation head Tom Butterfield, who recalled Mr Rankin as a man of “wry humour and humanity who liked people that marched to a slightly different drum”.

Born in New York City in 1924 to actors Arthur Rankin and Marian Manfield, Mr Rankin was a self-made filmmaker whose career spanned the history of the medium — starting as art director at ABC in the late 1940s.

“These were days when no one knew anything about television,” he told The Mid-Ocean News in 1996. “I painted sets and did graphic design.”

Mr Butterfield described Mr Rankin as someone “born at the time of silent film, who finished life in 3-D”.

Acting ran in the family: his grandfather, Harry Davenport, played Dr Meade in 1939’s ‘Gone with the Wind’.

“Arthur started with a flashlight in movie theatres to show people to their seats at the age of nine, and ended up a director.

“One of his greatest aspects was that he’d only ask of others what he would expect of himself — and he expected perfection,” Mr Butterfield said.

Mr Rankin and Mr Bass set out in 1960 with Videocraft International, which later became their eponymous business.

Stop-motion was a painstaking and obscure technique when “Rudolph” burst onto the scene, followed by “Frosty the Snowman”, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, “The Little Drummer Boy”, “A Year Without a Santa Claus” and a slew of other specials.

“Christmas has been good to me,” Mr Rankin would remark in 1996.

He wrote, produced or directed more than a dozen feature films, including two of just three feature-length films shot in Bermuda: the 1978 cult classic “The Bermuda Depths” and 1980s “The Ivory Ape” — as well as the animated TV series “ThunderCats” and “SilverHawks”, on top of more than 1,000 TV programmes.

In 1999, with “Rudolph” and others still going strong and a huge market growing for Rankin/Bass memorabilia, the US weekly TV Guide declared him the “Santa Claus of holiday programming”.

“He loved the world of fantasy and make-believe, of better places that would take people away from the drudgeries of the everyday,” Mr Butterfield said.

A quiet philanthropist, Mr Rankin helped Mr Butterfield bring the Masterworks Museum to reality — and avoided publicity in his support of many other local causes.

His lectures on film at the Bermuda College, launched in 1996, proved wildly popular.

“It’s hard to be good at anything,” Mr Rankin reflected at the time. “If you’re passionate, the chances are that you will find a job that will make you happy.”

Mr Butterfield described Mr Rankin as a keen listener who was generous with his counsel.

“He was never perfunctory — it was always done with a sense of real commitment,” he said.

Such openness could explain Mr Rankin’s pioneering use of celebrities to voice his animation, well before the practice was popularised by recently blockbusters.

“Today, I celebrate every moment we shared. I celebrate his triumphal long and successful career. Yes, I shall miss him — but for now, I celebrate, as I know he would want it that way.”

Felix Estridge

With your vision, you have touched millions of hearts and minds, and, more importantly, their souls, Mr. Rankin.  Rest in peace and let the Father and Son take care of you now.

• Like 1

SantaStephen

A great sigh was heard when this magic man left to meet his maker. Surely he was heartily welcomed and will help our Lord entertain the heavenly hosts and souls above.

Santa Marty

A simpler, softer time..... RIP

• Like 2

Santa Gordon

The inspiration of a generation of Santas.

Santa Johnathan

Such an inspiration who has left his mark to surely inspire many more to come...a visionary. 

Rest in peace.

:candles:

KKringle

A Man who touched all our lives with his creativity. His Legacy will live on every Christmas Season in some of the Greatest classic children's Specials. God Bless You Mr. Rankin. Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

Mississippi Elf

Thank you Mr. Rankin for sharing your talent and passion with the rest of the world.  May you Rest Peacefully in the arms of God.

Santa Walter B

Always a favorite of mine.  RIP and Thank You.

SCSanta

Rest in Peace and thank you for all of the smiles!

Santa Dave T

His movies will live on forever!  Thank You Mr Rankin!

Kevin Fast

RIP - loved your work

Santa Mike 19536

RIP and Thank You for Memories of Fantastic Storytelling!

Elf Without Jingles

Only a few weeks ago, we lost beloved old Yukon Cornelius --- Larry Mann. Now the Legend himself is gone, too.

We join our colleague and friend Rick Goldschmidt, founder of   RankinBass.com and its just-recently launched sister site, MiserBros.com, in mourning the passing of a true television Legend.

There are just no words to describe our loss......

Santa Hill

RIP sir, leave this earth knowing you have made a positive mark on so many people. Thank you so much.

Ricky Claus

For a man whom brought great Christmas features and I am sure much more, you are never forgotten. God Bless the Family and may his legend live forever.

Santa Leonard

Thank you for making childhood Christmas memories for me......RIP.

Chatham Santa

In my mind's eye I can see Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius, the Bumble, Santa, the postman, Frosty, the Little Drummer boy, and all the others with their heads bowed and wiping a tear away.

Mr. Rankin, thank you for making my childhood, my children's childhood, and many more kids' childhoods more enjoyable by providing us with outstanding stories that have since passed the test of time.  You and your imagination will be sorely missed in this day and age.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.