IBRBS Event Discussion (SPLIT)

Santa Bob Elkin

In regards to the Santa Schools.....

I have been fortunate to have earned my Doctorate (ho ho ho) from the International University of Santa Claus, and given the opportunity, I would attend Santa Tim's school again as you always learn something new. 

I have attended the St. Nicholas Institute the last two years and I will attend in 2014.The Institute is of course all about our icon and the history of the legend.

I have attended the Santa Claus Academy School in Atlanta, hosted by Gary Casey and Santa Atlanta, and given the opportunity would attend again. 

I would really love to attend the CWH School in Michigan, but the timing is usually not in the cards for me.

I have also heard great things about Susan's Santa School in Denver, Victor Nevada's School in Canada and the school Paul Raines started in Phoenix.

Guess, I have to admit, I will go to as many Schools as I can, never quit learning and having FUN and fellowship and is one reason I work very hard during the season to earn money to attend schools and events..

And guess what?? if you would love to attend any of these schools but don't seem to have the extra $$$, we will be giving away FOUR $500 Scholarships with the exact purpose of allowing a Santa and/or Mrs Claus to attend a School of their choice! For the winners, we will pay the School's tuition, then write you a check for the difference!! Deadline for applying for the awards is March 1st, Awards will be given out at the International Santa

Celebration in Tampa, May 14-17th. (you do not have to be present to win),  

And guess what?? if you would love to attend any of these schools but don't seem to have the extra $$$, we will be giving away FOUR $500 Scholarships with the exact purpose of allowing a Santa and/or Mrs Claus to attend a School of their choice! For the winners, we will pay the School's tuition, then write you a check for the difference!! Deadline for applying for the awards is March 1st, Awards will be given out at the International Santa

Celebration in Tampa, May 14-17th. (you do not have to be present to win),  

I have read about these Scholarships before, thanks to Steve Eastis posts elsewhere, but how do you apply? Is there an application and what are the decisions based upon?

I have read about these Scholarships before, thanks to Steve Eastis posts elsewhere, but how do you apply? Is there an application and what are the decisions based upon?

Here is application information. As far as how applicants are chosen, I'm not sure but there is more weight put on individuals who have not attending a school before. 

http://www.ibrbsantas.org/scholarships.html

World Congress as long as I'm dreaming.

Although, I am hoping I get a chance to meet Santa Johnathan in The Bay Area at some point this year.

I think we could possibly find some way to keep out of trouble.....maybe.

"MAYBE" is a pretty big word. ;)

Applicants who have not attended a Santa School will indeed earn extra consideration.. 

IBRBS Chapters may also endorse a Chapter Member Santa to receive extra consideration.

There are several other criteria the Scholarship Committee will weigh when awarding the Scholarships.

The Scholarship Committee will pay the tuition to the Santa school of your choice and write you a check for any difference.  

IBRBS has plans to hopefully DOUBLE the number of Scholarships awarded in the next two years!

Scholarship Winners will be announced at the International Santa Celebration in May, however you do not have to be present to win!  .

Go to http://www.ibrbsantas.org/scholarships.html    Apply today! Deadline is March 1st.  

Steve Gillham gives a great class at Clausfest & there are several more educational classes, I am a graduate of both the CWH & IUSC both are very good but I Think I have learned more at gatherings like Clausfest, Cape Cod...from other Santas in hotel lobbies.

Santa Pirate, 

I totally agree with you, Since Branson in 2006, I have attended literally several dozens of events all over the country, some large, some smaller, and that is the one thing we all hear everyone repeat time and time again!!....

"how much we enjoy the learning and sharing with other Santas"

So, the ISC Committee thought??? Why Not Give the Folks What They Want???

This is the reason we are changing the format of the International Santa Celebration to one dedicated to just that mantra  "learning and sharing with other Santas".  

HOW? We are planning an extensive series of different Interactive Panel Discussions  These will be open mike where each and every person can share their knowledge and can learn from the comments and questions from each of their brother Santas and/or Mrs Claus..

These Interactive Panel Discussions with specific subjects will invoke impromptu comments, questions, and suggestions creating in each "class" the camaraderie we all enjoy and the spontaneous out pouring of knowledge and ideas, 

We truly believe these IPD's  will prove to be a "game changer" in event experiences. .. 

While we plan to have some specific "basic" courses for the newer Santas, the ISC Committee has studied this and understands that the majority of the Santas have seen it all, and have sat through a lot of one-man lectures, seminars, and classes, some good, some entertaining and some not so good.

And please, before anyone gets upset, I am not implying in any way, that there are a not a lot of good seminars, classes and lectures at events.

The ISC Committee has tested this concept and we hope the attendees will be just as excited as we are about this new concept. We believe the folks that attend one or four of these Interactive panel Discussions will prefer this type of hands on and participating in concept,  as a new learning and sharing experience.

And why not, it will be pretty much like what we all say we enjoy the most: sitting in a hotel lobby....

"the learning and sharing with other Santas".  

Folks, it is just a wee more difficult to plan an event from scratch, we are working hard and as diligently as possible,

We are still approximately four months out! We appreciate and thank you for your patience! 

I posted this on another thread here, but I am copying on this thread.  

Folks have been asking for a tentative schedule of events, so here it is in a bit of a "rough" draft.. 

Several others have asked us a question about the four served meals? and.. YES, our $138 Registration Fee INCLUDES your $52 Banquet DInner at the Celebration Banquet on Saturday night! 

ISC TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS MAY 14TH-17TH
                    http://tampa.ibrbsantas.org/

COME EARLY STAY LATE
  Hotel Special Discount Room Rate Valid May 11th-21st  

Wednesday May 14th, 1:00 Welcome to Tampa/Registration Sign-In Desk Opens 
Wednesday, May 14th 1:00-8:00 pm Sign In and pick up your Thursday Fun Day Tickets
Wednesday, May 14th, 5:00 pm Welcome to Tampa Meet and Greet Hospitality

Thursday, May 15th 8:00 am Celebration Showcase Set-up
Thursday, May 15th 1:00 pm Celebration Showcase Opens (Hours to be announced)
Thursday FUN Day, May 15th final list of ancillary Activities to choose from coming soon...
Thursday, May 15th, Santa's Blood Drive-Special Event-Guest Personality to be announced...
Thursday, May 15th, 6:00 pm Group Dinner-Choice of Two locations to be announced soon.....

Friday, May 16th, Celebration Showcase Opens (Hours to be announced)
Friday, May 16th, 8:00 am Celebration Breakfast Served (Special Event to be announced)
Friday, May 15th, 10-12:30 Interactive Panel Discussions, Workshops, Seminars
Friday, May 15th, 12:30-2:00 Celebration Lunch Served (Special Event to be announced)
Friday, May 15th, 2:00-4:30 Interactive Panel Discussions, Workshops, Seminars
Friday, May 15th, 6:00 pm Group Dinner-Choice of Two locations to be announced soon.....

Saturday, May 17th, Celebration Showcase Opens (Hours to be announced)
Saturday, May 17th, 9:30-12:00 Interactive Panel Discussions, Workshops, Seminars
Saturday, May 17th, 12-1:30 pm, Celebration Lunch Served, (Special Event to be announced)
Saturday, May 17th, 1:30-4:00 Interactive Panel Discussions, Workshops, Seminars
Saturday, May 17th, 4-5:00 pm Meet the IBRBS Board, Open Mike, Special Announcements
Saturday, May 17th, 6:00 pm Celebration Banquet Dinner Doors Open
Saturday, May 17th, 7:00 pm Opening Entertainment and Presentations
Saturday, May 17th, 7:30 pm Live Music Dinner Entertainment
Saturday, May 17th, 7:30 pm Celebration Banquet Dinner Served
Saturday, May 17th, 8:30 pm Memorial, Presentations, Announcements
Saturday, May 17th, 9:00 pm Guest Celebrity Entertainment
Saturday, May 17th, 9:30 pm-till Live Music for your Dancing and Entertainment

COME EARLY STAY LATE
    Hotel Special Discount Room Rate Valid May 11th-21st 

WOW!!! I haven't had the privilege of attending an event thus far, but I'm not used to the attitudes on display regarding these two events which appear to be competing with each other. I really wanted to do both, but the airfare to Clausfest was prohibitive. To me, it seems the events may be more about making money than camaraderie. I'm sure they both would be beneficial, but possibly divisive as to who attended which. Tampa is so close, I still plan on attending, but it seems like I should consider it more carefully. Such a shame....

Santa Castor,

There is a fundamental difference between the two events.

One is a for profit event that should garner somewhere in the neighborhood of anywhere from $40 K to $60 K or more to the owner to do as she wishes. That is her business and that is just fine.

The other in this case is being put on by a NON-Profit member elected run social group that has to report to the membership exactly where and how the money is spent. Also the Non-Profit group must follow stricter rules/laws/regulations as to how it conducts business.

Both events provide a vast amount of entertainment to those that attend and both offer educational opportunities to those attendees as well as recreational options. Both have their prices based upon their individual operators values and their need to do business.

Where you chose to spend your money is entirely up to you. Where you chose to spend your time is also up to you.

If you are a member of IBRBS, you will have full access to any and all information as it comes available in regards to what IBRBS does in the Santa World and within it's actions. I have found is all you have to do is ask. You may not chose to accept the answer but it will be given in as full content as possible to those that do ask and are members. As the only social group/club that holds elections for the officers and Board of Directors from the membership currently out in the Santa World that I am aware of and not owned by any individual, I personally chose to be a member of that group as well as several others.

Yours,

Santa Gordon

No one special

Santa Castor,

There is a fundamental difference between the two events.

One is a for profit event that should garner somewhere in the neighborhood of anywhere from $40 K to $60 K or more to the owner to do as she wishes. That is her business and that is just fine.

The other in this case is being put on by a NON-Profit member elected run social group that has to report to the membership exactly where and how the money is spent. Also the Non-Profit group must follow stricter rules/laws/regulations as to how it conducts business.

Both events provide a vast amount of entertainment to those that attend and both offer educational opportunities to those attendees as well as recreational options. Both have their prices based upon their individual operators values and their need to do business.

Where you chose to spend your money is entirely up to you. Where you chose to spend your time is also up to you.

If you are a member of IBRBS, you will have full access to any and all information as it comes available in regards to what IBRBS does in the Santa World and within it's actions. I have found is all you have to do is ask. You may not chose to accept the answer but it will be given in as full content as possible to those that do ask and are members. As the only social group/club that holds elections for the officers and Board of Directors from the membership currently out in the Santa World that I am aware of and not owned by any individual, I personally chose to be a member of that group as well as several others.

Yours,

Santa Gordon

No one special

I guess I should have been more precise in my words, Having a SERIES of different Interactive Panel Discussions on a SERIES of different subjects is a new concept.  My apologies if my earlier comments misled anyone else.

I also represented my opinion there were a lot of entertaining and informative lectures, seminars and workshops conducted by individuals, and that some were not so good!  

Santa Castor

Don't let the bantering and jockeying for positions put a tarnish on your expectations and I can assure you that whether you are RBS or Traditional you will be Welcomed with open arms and a feeling of inclusion in every aspect of the convention. Things are changing and under the guidance of Bob Elkin as President I can assure you this convention is only the start of a exciting organization going forward.and something I am personally looking forward to. There is a lot of talk going on some pro, some con about the events taking place this year. It is very difficult during these hard times for everyone to be fighting for the same Dollar and sometimes emotions have a play in it. The Thread Asked If You Could Only Attend One 2014, what would it be, it comes to personal choice  

Ahhh stink, I just requested time off from work for Tampa. Clausfest was just too expensive because of the airfare to a 'remote' area.

I'll most likely still attend Tampa, but my expectations, more importantly my hopes of meeting brother Santa's has been tarnished.

I prefer the feeling of being included to excluded, whether it be me or any other Santa. I guess if our representatives in Washington can't get along, why should any of us? Oh, maybe we should be different.

Santa Castor

Don't let the bantering and jockeying for positions put a tarnish on your expectations and I can assure you that whether you are RBS or Traditional you will be Welcomed with open arms and a feeling of inclusion in every aspect of the convention. Things are changing and under the guidance of Bob Elkin as President I can assure you this convention is only the start of a exciting organization going forward.and something I am personally looking forward to. There is a lot of talk going on some pro, some con about the events taking place this year. It is very difficult during these hard times for everyone to be fighting for the same Dollar and sometimes emotions have a play in it. The Thread Asked If You Could Only Attend One 2014, what would it be, it comes to personal choice  

Well said indeed!

I attended the New England Santa event last week end they are a chapter of IBRBS ,I was the only tradional Santa and was treated warmly and with great respect. I was even offered a chance speak and demonstrate some traditional beards in the afternoon session. No drama fighting just plain old Santa hospitality. For them to be prohibited after they accepted the fee from the person in charge of the vendors certainly calls the issue into question.

I attended the New England Santa event last week end they are a chapter of IBRBS ,I was the only tradional Santa and was treated warmly and with great respect. I was even offered a chance speak and demonstrate some traditional beards in the afternoon session. No drama fighting just plain old Santa hospitality. For them to be prohibited after they accepted the fee from the person in charge of the vendors certainly calls the issue into question.

It was great to meet you Santa TJS and I for one hope the membership of IBRBS opts for inclusion. If you are able to make it to Tampa, you will certainly feel welcome.

Archived