Michael Rielly

National clown shortage may be approaching, trade organizations fear

Michael Rielly

National clown shortage may be approaching, trade organizations fear

As the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus returns to Brooklyn Thursday, membership at the country's largest clown organizations has plunged over the past decade amid declining interest, old age and higher standards for the jokesters.

New York Daily News
By NATALIE MUSUMECI
February 17, 2014

EXCERPT:

Send in the clowns — please!

As the “Greatest Show on Earth” returns to Brooklyn Thursday, circus folk fear a national clown shortage is on the horizon.

Membership at the country’s largest trade organizations for the jokesters has plunged over the past decade as declining interest, old age and higher standards among employers align against Krusty, Bozo and their crimson-nosed colleagues.

“What’s happening is attrition,” said Clowns of America International President Glen Kohlberger, who added that membership at the Florida-based organization has plummeted since 2006. “The older clowns are passing away.”

He said he wouldn’t release specific numbers, citing the privacy of the members.

Membership at the World Clown Association, the country’s largest trade group for clowns, has dropped from about 3,500 to 2,500 since 2004.

“The challenge is getting younger people involved in clowning,” said Association President Deanna (Dee Dee) Hartmier, who said most of her members are over 40.

Kohlberger said that it’s difficult getting younger people who develop an early interest in the many facets of clowning to stick with it on the professional level.

“What happens is they go on to high school and college and clowning isn’t cool anymore,” he said. “Clowning is then put on the back burner until their late 40s and early 50s.”

Cyrus Zavieh, the president of New York Clown Alley, a group that boasts 45 members across the New York area, said clowns can pull in up to $300 for a birthday party — but that’s hardly a financial incentive for many young people.

“American kids these days are thinking about different careers altogether,” said Zavieh, 44, who has worked under the moniker Cido for nearly two decades.

“They’re thinking about everything other than clowning.”

Santa TJS

Times seemed to have changed,clowns were very popular in years past as were circus acts. With the modern high tech animation in movies old fashion entertainment for children has shifted to electronic media.

Santa Johnny Boy

Seems like some of the clowns I know are putting less emphasis on the heavy clown make up and promoting themselves more as entertainers and magicians.  Some don't even use the word, "clown" anymore in their advertising and use more terms like "Uncle Wally" , "Amber's Balloons". 

Santa Leonard

Some aspects of clowning are very physical and require the skill of an athlete.  Guess clowns aren't cool with younger people.

Santa TJS

When I was a kid, even black and white television had Bozo the Clown and Howdy Doody had Clarabelle. I don't believe there has been a children's show featuring clowns for a number of years also adding to the dip in popularity among children. Then you have Stephen King book with evil clowns then the evil clown doll in Polterguiest perhaps that put a negative spin on clowns.

Edited by Santa TJS

Chatham Santa

Just wondering:  Could this ever happen to the Santa portrayers?????  *shudders*  I hope not!!!

I have to go along with Santa TJS.  My son, when he was a wee one, was scared to death of clowns because of the movies with evil/slasher clowns.  He still, to this day, doesn't care for them.

Edited by Chatham Santa

SCSanta

No shortage of clowns where I work!  :no:

• Like 1

Santa Hill

Reminds me of the comeback to the question "How was your day?" - "Same Circus, different clowns."

• Like 2

Kris Claus

Ok, I made up the part about the shoes. :sc_tongue2:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/exclusive-national-clown-shortage-approaching-article-1.1616801

Apparently young people no longer want to run away and join the circus to become a hobo clown. Emmett Kelly the clown must be rolling over in his grave full of red rubber noses. That is, if his big floppy shoes let him. Maybe there is a tripping hazzard.  And just how many clowns can you fit into one of the small coffins? Hmmm.

It was enough for me to pull together a decent Santa suit. Don't know if I have the energy for clown work. Maybe this is one of those times Laffo can shed some light in a single sentence. "Just be Laffo." :santa_cheesy:

Edited by Kris Claus

Santa Dave T

All the evil and bad clowns have taken their toll.  A foreshadowing for us....

Santa Gordon

I hung up my big shoes and baggy pants back in 97 when I learned there was no market for a bearded clown in my area. In the 80s and the first half of the 90s there was a clown alley a few of us started to help raise the level of professionalism in the 2county area. We had a member ship of over 70 clowns and meetings would number over 90 people at some meetings like the annual swap meet. Now it is almost entirely gone.

When the EDD started telling folks "Go get a clown suit and be a clown for parties" we saw the market flooded with "First of Mays" that did the work below cost of materials simply to get the job. Then as the quality of the performance was well below what the public had come to expect, the backlash to hiring a clown cut into the business as well.

This has happened in the Magic sector of the entertainment business as well but not as hard.

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles

Seems to me that Feld Entertainment and Team Ringling can't catch a break these days! First they're battling People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (again!), now there's a clown shortage?

Can someone please tell me what world we live in where clowns are no longer worth believing in?

Again, something I used to hold sacred is vanishing in a digital world --- and we're simply letting it happen for no good reason! Why?

Kris Claus

Didn't notice this thread before I started my own.

http://www.clausnet.com/forums/topic/30013-clown-shortage-in-america-big-floppy-shoes-pose-tripping-hazzard/#entry311306

Still think mine is funnier though.  :teehee:

Santa Leonard

Both clowning and magic are theatre ARTS and require skill, practice, and rehearsal to become proficient.  Many young people today, the "instant gratification" generation, do not have the personal dedication to take the time to practice the skills necessary  to become a competent performer.

I am concerned this attitude may encroach into the Santa world.

Ricky Claus

I used to clown around years ago. The last time I dressed up as a clown was in 2008. Its hard to walk in those big shoes.

Santa Baz

I was a clown for several years. Quit for several reason that I won't bore you with. I know my local clown alley has shrunk and is not as active as it once was.

Here's a link to a web page I built a while back showing my various clown incarnations.

http://www.tconl.com/~clowns/CLOWNSATLARGE.htm

Ricky Claus

I am in fear of this happening with Santa's. But I am making a solid commitment to be Santa until I can not so much as get out of bed. More than likely I will go to my grave. But that is a long way off and I would hope if the time comes that I can not there will be a new younger Santa who can learn and do the same. As for the Clowns I always deal with the Shriners. I have an Uncle in Missouri who is a clown.

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.