Michael Rielly

How SantaCon Has Ruined The Image Of Santa For Children Everywhere

Michael Rielly

How SantaCon Has Ruined The Image Of Santa For Children Everywhere

Elite Daily

By LAUREN MARTIN
December 16, 2013

EXCERPT:

Many of you are probably feeling a little down right now, having that Monday morning remorse that only comes with a new slew of notifications with more pictures of you sexually licking some candy cane (like this guy right here) and making out with another girl dressed like Santa.

If you participated in SantaCon this weekend, you are most likely still recuperating from the red and green shots that tasted just like gumdrops at the time, but are coming out the other end with a slight different taste.

You might vaguely remember getting in a fight with some other Santas or hooking up with a chick who wouldn’t stop calling herself “Mrs. Claus.” Maybe your hat is missing because you threw up in it at the third bar or you are just regretting the 50 bucks you spent on your stained Santa suit.

Whatever your regrets, none should be worse than the innocence you stripped from children everywhere when you decided to get drunk and put on a Santa suit.

Besides all the reasons your SantaCon was a total bust, the most important reason we don’t condone the holiday is the image of Santa it ruins for children everywhere. You may not have thought about it at the time, but when you were throwing up in a trash can outside the bar, there may have been a little girl on her way home.

Or maybe when you got in that fight, some kids were watching outside their window. While you’re lying in bed or at your desk, hungover and ashamed, think of everything you did that will distort these children’s view of Santa forever. 

• Like 2

SCSanta

I despise the entire concept of SantaCon. The first time I read about it, I hoped beyond hope that it wouldn't get bigger and find it's way to my neck of the woods. But of course, it did. The folks seem to take great pride in organizing it and when it is covered by the press around here, it is with very little criticism. All I can do is boycott the businesses that actively participate. Anything more will give it more attention than it deserves.

High Country Santa Mike

That's one horrible video!  Evidently nothing is sacred anymore if someone can make it a reason to get drunk and stupid and cruise for sex.  So sad.

Ricky Claus

Maybe if Santacon was more like Comiccon it may be a little better. I despise this very much and it makes me want to up chuck my cookies and milk. What's the problem with these idiots. What nerve they have........ 

Santa Bruce Geron

Yes, I've seen footage from other cities. Foul, it's just foul. Any reason to drink and justify being drunk in public. What I don't understand, why in dress reds?

Michael Rielly
My biggest problem with this is it gives US a bad name. A few folks at my work know I am a Santa, but I never discuss my it openly. I have heard colleagues here (and at my last job) say things like "what's wrong with these people" and "what a bunch of wack jobs" in regards to SantaCon and the recent "Santas" in the headlines. In my position, I simply cannot allow myself to be associated with this behavior. The last thing I need is to be lumped in with these "wack jobs". Honestly, it is getting to a point were I don't even want to attend these gatherings.
  • Like 6

John Johnson

Folks, I would be remiss if I didn't ask this question. What are we, a community of Santas, doing to protect the image of Santa? How are we collectively creating awareness and truly keeping alive the magic of Santa? How are we helping the community and combatting these issues? A picture and a candy cane at Christmas goes only so far. An off-season appearance to a child only goes so far. I am in no way trying to sound sarcastic or trying to offend anyone. But we are supposed to be the professionals. Why are we not doing more to stop or speak out against this sort of thing?

Too, we should realize as well that we have in some ways not been the best guardians of the image of Santa either. Sometimes I think we are too busy trying to "be Santa" than to BE Santa - to give of ourselves in love (1) to the children and (2) to our brotherhood and sisterhood. We forget that in order to uphold the wonderful image of Santa that we must first adopt it within us, recognizing what that image is all about. If you think that that image is just a red suit and beard you aren't even close! That image represents something greater - the giving of a gift that began with the giving of the Gift! That is where the Spirit of Christmas came from and for Saint Nicholas or Santa Claus is where the mission began. The image of Santa is truly a reflection of that.

I think in a good many ways we need to truly sit down and look at what is going on. We need to all truly look at how we serve the children, first, laying aside all of the things that have come into play (fraternal groups and factions, beard preference, envy over opportunities, and so much more) so that we can self examine our hearts. We need to each, individually, look at how we are helping or hindering the brotherhood and sisterhood of Santa Claus. Are we helping to educate and to cultivate one another to become that image of Santa? Or are we hindering it by allowing ego, agenda, jealousy, and greed to enter our workshop?

Stop! Think of what could be accomplished for good. Man oh man! When I think of how much good we could do for the children of this world if we could work together as a true loving and supporting brotherhood. Let's work on the inside of the community and then go out and show the world who Santa is! I would truly like to see our community really explore these principles and be that impact that our World needs. I firmly believe that the World needs what Santa stands for. I hope you will all join me in sharing it!

• Like 10

Santa Andrew

sometimes i think little old new zealand misses out on a lot of things, but this time im pleased we have never heard of this thing they call santacon. its absurd 

Santa Dave

My biggest problem with this is it gives US a bad name. A few folks at my work know I am a Santa, but I never discuss my it openly. I have heard colleagues here (and at my last job) say things like "what's wrong with these people" and "what a bunch of wack jobs" in regards to SantaCon and the recent "Santas" in the headlines. In my position, I simply cannot allow myself to be associated with this behavior. The last thing I need is to be lumped in with these "wack jobs". Honestly, it is getting to a point were I don't even want to attend these gatherings.

I have to admit I didn't know what SantaCon was. I googled and found the low and behold we have a SantaCon chapter right here in Buffalo. Then it dawned on me. Somebody I work with who knew I portrayed Santa asked if I went down to join that group at there event in December. They told me it was a bunch of Santas walking around drunk handing out presents. I was disgusted when I heard that and said I wouldn't be caught dead at an event like that. That person didn't think it was a good idea for Santas to be walking around drunk and, she asked me as more of a joke than seriously thought I would be there. I just went to the local chapter website and read the guidelines, While the guidelines seemed like it was going to be a fun event, anytime the gathering location is at a beer tent you know it will be trouble. Funny thing though. One of the guidlines said " don't talk to the press". I wonder what these hacks know that some of us "professional" Santas seem to have forgot?

Santa Leonard

We have a SantaCon here in Winston-Salem.  They wanted to book me this year to hand out the prizes at the end of the night (2 am!).  I declined.  I'll have to check and see what kind of "press" the group received this year.  We are so busy during the season we don't have time to watch the news!

Maybe local area Santa groups can form some "push back" in their respective locations?

NYSanta

Coming from and being in NYC during Santacon on Dec14 I can say the media coverage was no more than a 15 second slot on the news. I was never asked if I was going or went to Santacon. . I am more concerned of the individuals who get themselves in trouble for inappropriate behavior and find themselves in the media for it. There we be more backlash in June when I Am Santa is released on the reputation of Santa then Santacon can do. 

Howie

• Like 1

Santa TJS

Santa con, is bad Santa multiplied by hundreds,yes the release of I am Santa is troublesome .

Eileen Strom

San Antonio apparently has a "chapter", tho I have no idea how small/large it is and how bad they behave.

It is a truly sad state of events when, to me, adults want to openly mock what is a symbol of pure love, joy and giving to not only children but to all ages, with lewd, crud, and disgusting behavior.

Makes you sort of wonder how these people behave the rest of time in their lives...and gets you mad to realize that these people think that there is nothing wrong with their behavior.

But with the general dumbing down of society, and knowledge and sense being replaced by instant gratification, "perceived" fame and "me, me me", is it any wonder that we have stuff like this (Santacon) along with a plethora of other undesirable events constantly springing up in society?

On a side note of just how dumb can you be...our daughter Jessica had a dentist appt the other day. While talking with a younger (but graduate of HS) someone working there (technician or hygienist type of person), she was absolutely floored to discover that this person had no idea of WWII, the concentration camps, etc (at present, Jessica, a history major, has an internship at Holocaust Museum)!  How does one graduate from High School, and not know at least that this occurred?  But then, we have people that think that July 4th is when we won our independence from Mexico or some other country (other than England) - ever watch Jay Leno's man on the street things?!   

And the truly sad thing about this is that these ill-informed, but think they are brilliant people can vote!

• Like 2

Elf Without Jingles

I, too, have loathed SantaCon and all that it represents. But, given that several of my old Santa mentors have been recently deceased, I was, in all honesty, desperate enough to want to join in the horrid revelry that SantaCon apparently espouses. But my moral scruples wouldn't allow it, the reason being that I've come too far in the Kringleverse, and strived for too much, to be that desperate. It's partly for that reason that I subsequently joined up with both Gigmasters.com and GigSalad.com --- so that I could find a way to, at least, land a decent Santa gig and still uphold the Eight Principles of the Santa Claus Oath, which I swore to do a long time ago. 

I won't break that sacred trust, fellow ClausNETters. And I don't expect you to do so, either.

• Like 1

Santa Steve H

One word...

DISGUSTING

• Like 2

Santa Dave T

Another sign of the decline in civility and a moral compass. The decline of a society as a whole.

Another sign of the decline in civility and a moral compass. The decline of a society as a whole.

• Like 1

Santa Lamar Hall

when someone asked me about Santa con I thought it was a legitimate gathering, until i looked it up  .

very disturbing 

• Like 1

Santa Roy

I am glad that this debauchery is so given to lasciviousness that parents will have no problem explaining to the children that these idiots have nothing to do with Santa or Christmas. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.