Elf Without Jingles

Sony Pictures Planning Dark, Viking-Inspired Santa Movie, 'Winter Knight'

Elf Without Jingles

This next item might be a bit disturbing, fellow ClausNETters. But I'll let you judge for yourselves:

Sony Pictures Planning Dark, Viking-Inspired Santa Origin Movie, Winter Knight

by Susana Polo, TheMarySue.com | Posted: 2:48 p.m. EST, March 3rd, 2014

EXCERPT:

And apparently, it's also based upon L. Frank Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, which is neither dark nor has Vikings in it. Join me, please, as I attempt to untangle this knot.

Deadline.com reports that Sony Pictures has beaten out Warner Bros. and Universal in a bidding war over a script by relative newcomers Ben Lustig and Jake Thornton, entitled Winter Knight. Sony has already attached Marc Platt and Lawrence Grey to the project as its producers (between the two are credits on Hope Springs, Winter's Tale, Drive, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Legally Blonde) and the team of Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg as co-directors. Ronning and Sandberg are a Norwegian-based directing duo whose work on the very well-received Kon-Tiki have put them in the director's chair for Disney's next inevitable Pirates of the Caribbean movie, Dead Men Tell No Tales.

The news site goes on to describe the movie as both the "Viking-mythology-tinged origin story of St. Nick and Christmas," saying that the subject matter "is [L. Frank Baum's] 1902 book, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus." For those of you who have not completed the occasional seasonal re-read of the little volume a number of times, this is strange, because The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus does not involve Vikings. In fact, the entire book is somewhat removed from any specific definite geography and/or time period. Taking place simultaneously in a climate with snow-covered winters AND a situation wherein the infant Nicholas can be suckled by a lioness and then raised by wood nymphs, the story is very explicitly a faerie tale. First published in 1905, it lacks a number of the modern characteristics of Santa Claus, such as the workshop at the North Pole, the reindeer names of A Visit from St. Nicholas, or even Mrs. Claus. It's also not what one would call dark, certainly even less so than, say, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe --- another fantasy story in which Santa Claus appears.

SOURCE: 

Santa Johnny Boy

I haven't seen it yet but it already sounds like a stinker...   :sc_rasberry:

Felix Estridge

The Santa in Rise of the Guardians was similar to the description of the one in this new Winter Knight, a warrior with swords.  I cannot discount that there are many countenances of Santa Claus in the many cultures from around this world.  Heck, he doesn't even exist in some.  I take it as only someone's else's vision of the character also known to them as a protector of children.

John Johnson

This past Christmas, I actually starred in a stage adaptation of "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus."  I have read the book several times, as a Santa and a lover of Baum's works.  This doesn't even sound close.  There is a book entitled "Roads" by Seabury Quinn.  I have a copy right here at my fingertips.  That is the great book and connects Santa with being a viking or warrior.  "Flight of the Reindeer" by Sullivan and Wolff talks about how Santa and the elves were chased by the vikings from their Icelandic home to the Pole - the movie makes Nicholas out to be a viking who protected the elves and moved with them (The Christmas Secret).  I have the book entitled "Nicholas" that I believe makes him out to be a warrior, but haven't cracked the cover yet.  A new trend, I guess, and another way to strip the Christianity away from him.  I believe that this project looks to be trying to capitalize on L. Frank Baum.  And a marketing expert might ask "why not?"  The OZ craze is big right now with sales of various editions of "The Wonderful Wizard of OZ" going up after Disney's "OZ the Great and Powerful."  Strike while the iron's hot, I guess.  But the absence of the vikings is indeed striking.  Though some might actually be interesting and others embarassing, I just don't get why folks seem to want to always change the image of Santa?

Santa Jim North

"Make a buck, make a buck. Even in Brooklyn it's the same - don't care what Christmas stands for, just make a buck, make a buck."

• Like 5

Santa Leonard

Interesting premise

Michael Rielly

I am so tired of Hollywood.

• Like 3

Santa TJS

This is as bad as Santa in the total tank from the Santa clause movie

• Like 2

Steve Pulera

Oh, I don't mind the Viking part, but the dark part...hmmm could be not so good.  As hard as it sounds, I will hold judgement until I see it....

BUT I did like the movie "The Christmas Secret," with Richard Thomas.  In that story, as they touched on the origins of Santa, it was explained that Santa started as a Viking, and eventually strayed from them.  He moved further North, and to get their start, he and the elves flew in to villages (by means of reindeer) and more or less "borrowed" what they needed.  To soften the "stealing" they started to deliver gifts to kind of make amends. 

It was a different story, but I liked it.

Santa Marty

Speaking of making a buck..... The lousier the movie business gets in their Christmas/Santa films..... The better us pros are going to look.

I'm just sayin.

SCSanta

I really don't think it matters to me how it is packaged by movie makers...if it is a dark genre film that features Santa Claus, it just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

Storytelling Santa

It sounds more like a book titled "Kringle" by Tony Abbott. Someone gave a paperback copy to me. It is a bit dark and ia about Kris Kringle and how he becomes Santa, finds the elves and fights evil.

Here is a quote from scholastic.com online, "Unlike the traditional Santa Claus myth, Kringle is a coming-of-age story about an orphan who becomes a force for good in a dark and violent time. It is a tale of fantasy, of goblins, elves, and flying reindeer — and of a boy from the humblest beginnings who fulfills his destiny.

Our tale begins in 500 A.D., when goblins kidnapped human children and set them to work in underground mines. Kringle is one such child.... until he discovers his mission — to free children from enslavement. His legend lives on today, as he travels the earth every Christmas Eve to quell the goblins once more."

John Johnson

It sounds more like a book titled "Kringle" by Tony Abbott. Someone gave a paperback copy to me. It is a bit dark and ia about Kris Kringle and how he becomes Santa, finds the elves and fights evil.

Here is a quote from scholastic.com online, "Unlike the traditional Santa Claus myth, Kringle is a coming-of-age story about an orphan who becomes a force for good in a dark and violent time. It is a tale of fantasy, of goblins, elves, and flying reindeer — and of a boy from the humblest beginnings who fulfills his destiny.

Our tale begins in 500 A.D., when goblins kidnapped human children and set them to work in underground mines. Kringle is one such child.... until he discovers his mission — to free children from enslavement. His legend lives on today, as he travels the earth every Christmas Eve to quell the goblins once more."

I was given a copy of this book as well, but with the tone of the first few chapters I couldn't get into it. It just didn't hold my interest.

SantaDon

I remember there being some historic connections between the Norse God Odin and Santa Claus.  I'm going to hold judgement until I know more about this movie.

• Like 1

Santa Marty

I remember there being some historic connections between the Norse God Odin and Santa Claus.  I'm going to hold judgement until I know more about this movie.

No need to hold your judgment, just reserve the right to change your mind.  :)

• Like 1

Ricky Claus

I have read the Life Adventures of Santa Claus. Heck..... Its on my phone so I can read it when ever. Its a cute book. I enjoyed The Rise of the Guardians. I guess we will all find out how this movie will turn out. There are a lot of deranged portrayals of Santa that I have watched. Some of which I wish I would have never gave the time of day. Ill stick to my Miracle on 34th and The Santa Clause. 

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron

Well, sounds like Game of Thrones - North Pole.

• Like 1

Bestemor Claus

well as a young girl I heard many Norsk stories. But I dont remember anything like this. Grandpa Thorsen told many stories, some rather frightening, about my ancestor Thor to the point that for a short time I was afraid to look at a box of baking soda.  Considering how my grandfather went on about Odin and other Norsk gods, not once do I remember him comparing him to Santa Claus. ( I can tell you by the drawings I have seen, there is no way I am taking my grand children to see a character as scary as that.)Man what happened to my little Jul Nissen that we fed on Christmas Eve? This must be for adults only like Santa Bruce said. considering the references to other stories mentioned, I wouldnt be surprised to see this all end up in litigation over copy rights of other books. Do you think someone should contact these other authors or the people holding copy rights to them?? just asking.... :whistling:

Santa Johnny Boy

Seems to me that they are trying to take away any Christian origins or traditions of Santa Claus and Saint Nicholas.  They are trying to make Santa more, "politically correct"  by removing  the St Nick portion of the story.

In England, during the reign of Henry VIII,  the church was abolished along with the Saints in favor of a state-run church.  St Nicholas had to go away and become Father Christmas.

In the Russian Revolution,  the church was abolished and St Nicholas was replaced with Grandfather Frost.

Now, in America,  we have the threat of Santa Claus being replaced by Eric the Viking...

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.