Sign in to follow this  
Elf Hermey

Georgia TV Station Stunned By Christmas Decorations

Elf Hermey

Television news station WJCL cannot believe that with 114 days until Christmas that stores would actually put out seasonal decorations for sale. In a report touting the statistics of Christmas sales versus other seasons the “consumer reporter” tried to make a case for the merchandising but then showed nothing but clips of consumers who think it is “too early” for Christmas to be on the shelves.

This is a great example of lousy journalism and a total lack of media research in a topic. Any kind of search into merchandising routines would reveal that not only do retailers put out Christmas product four months or more ahead of time but they do so as well for other seasons.

This report, as typical of local TV news, fails to talk to one of the retailers in question or to represent any opposing views on the topic.

What is strange about this is that the report comes from the south, where Christmas and decorating is wildly popular compared to other areas of the country. But as is typical of the media reports we tend to see this time of the year, that wasn’t in the story either.

Don’t think these media complaints of Christmas-too-early are limited to the US. Here is another report from Sydney, Australia that even went so far as to consult clergy on the topic, turning the topic into a moral issue for some.

Related articles across the web

View the full article

Cynthia Lewis

Reporters still scraping the bottom of the barrel for news.

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles

Reporters still scraping the bottom of the barrel for news.

Yeah, what QuietOne said.

Santa Joel

The Back to School stuff was out at the end of June, around here it starts back the first of August, but I am sure the big chain stores all put it out at the same time even though others did not start back til the end of August or first of September. Halloween has been out in Kroger grocery store for about 2 weeks and Walmart for about a week. Kathy is already talking about putting up Halloween. Of course, prepping takes a lot longer that actually putting stuff up so if a person is planning a big decorating event, it takes the materials and decorations, the earlier the better. She is also reminding me that I need to get some of the Christmas cutouts out so she can look them over and touch up the paint if needed.

I hear a lot of people complain that they can not find a lot in the stores for Christmas, but if they wait til the last minute, they will not find much. However early it comes out, the serious decorator jumps on the good stuff. "The early bird gets the worm." The late comers get the leftovers if there are any. And if there is anything left after Christmas worth having, the serious decorator makes sure to get it and he is looking at 11 months before he starts getting it up again.

Me, I wish there were places around here that had Christmas stuff year round so I can watch out for the new stuff and get a jump on the rest of the crowd. I remember when the Gemmy inflatable first came out at The Christmas Place in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. This was at the first of August, I think. They sold out fast and were taking orders for more. Most of the big brand stores were only getting a limited quantity and if they sold out, it was too late to order more. I remember the outdoor musical trees that Lowe's had. Each store only got 3 of the trees and even the display tree was sold out before the first of December.

Morgan Putnam

I'm small potatoes and I'm already booking Christmas gigs as a Santa.

Why wouldn't big retailers be planning ahead as well?

No Christmas stuff out here yet.  Halloween dominates the displays currently. 

Then the middle of October it'll be time for Turkey Day goods in the aisles.

SCSanta

Shelf space for retailers is premium. The successful retailer does research and maximizes the return on investment and sales strategy. It stands to reason, if Christmas items for sale are on display early, it is because there are enough customers who want to purchase them. I could understand stores that decorate for Christmas this early rankling customers, but that is not what any of these recent 'news' stories are about.

• Like 1

Santa Joel

Might be worth checking stores' websites to find out what is online. Some things may be available now that later will be in short supply. I'm already making a list of replacement light bulbs that I need to replace burned out ones. I do a lot of wireframes and when you have burned out bulbs and last year I had problems with chipmunks chewing the plugs off. Quite a pain and time consuming to replace and repair. Took about 3-4 weeks to fix last year.

Santa Norm

Sounds like they were inventing news.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.