Sign in to follow this  
Carlo Klemm

Christmas cards, anyone?

Carlo Klemm
Christmas cards, anyone?

by Adrian Bobe, The Sun Star

Sept, 2, 2014

Excerpt:   OH! CHRISTMAS cheer is already in the air! With the start of the ‘ber’ months, most of us may have already been digging in our cabinets and piles of old Christmas ornaments.

I think is one of the first Christmas articles you will be reading on the second day of September. However, there is one thing that makes Christmas way different than it was, in 1995 or early 2000s. And this haunts me every time we welcome the ‘ber’ season.

When was the last time you send or receive a Christmas card? Many of us even forgot now how it looks like.

In the United States, polls showed that in the last two decades a household sends at least 28 Christmas cards and receives equally the same number. However, in recent years there was a pullout of numbers, resulting to the decline in the volume of cards sent and received. The statistics, however, does not only hold true in the US but in countries like the Philippines.

This decline is blamed on the advancements in technology and breakthroughs in making communication faster and cheaper. With the Internet, the world has shrunk into a global village, making information—both sending and receiving—readily accessible.

A sales girl shared that during December, Christmas cards stock would range nearly to 1,000 items, with each card produced with at least 18 designs.

A similar situation can be observed in stores in downtown area. Far from its nearly 10 racks of cards, four to five of which for Christmas cards in late 2000, presently, it declined to half of its number of racks, with one rack dedicated for Christmas Cards.

A department store employee lamented that they even lower the price to 40 or 50 percent during sale, and, at times repack cards and sell it in fives and tens for a lower price. “It has tremendously lost its appeal to market,” she added.

Sending Christmas cards through air or hand mails is a tradition that the current generation should not forget as it is an expression of love and effort. I may be enjoying the social media age big time, but hey, more and more people are missing the old times. Especially when a post man would hand in a glittery envelope in your door, surprising you with a card worth reading over and over.

SOURCE

Santa Marty

The number of Christmas Cards sent has been on the decline at my home simply because of seasonal time constraints. Even so, I exchange more cards with fellow Claus' than I do with family members.

Sadly sending cards, like sending handwritten letters is rapidly becoming a lost art.

Cynthia Lewis

Are you kidding?  The cards are too expensive and then add the postage at 49, or more likely 69, cents a piece???!  I have even told my kids not to send me birthday or Mothers' Day cards.  One card can buy two hamburgers.   Long live email!

OK, so I'm cheap...

Carlo Klemm

Are you kidding?  The cards are too expensive and then add the postage at 49, or more likely 69, cents a piece???!  I have even told my kids not to send me birthday or Mothers' Day cards.  One card can buy two hamburgers.   Long live email!

OK, so I'm cheap...

Postage is the killer. 69 cents a piece for you........here it's $1.00 for across Canada and $1.20 for the USA and $2.50 International.   (cards are cheap if you buy next years this season.)

Small packet to mail Christmas ornament to the USA is about $10.50, depending on size and weight.  

Cynthia Lewis

I keep telling any young one starting out:  "If you can figure out a way to move people and things cheaply and reliably, then you will be a billionaire, guaranteed.  "Beam me up, Scotty!"

In one of C.S. Lewis" Space Trilogy stories, he has his angels pondering how much thought and effort humans put into transportation.  It would take me a little while to find the reference if anyone wants it.  Its one of Lewis' many sly insights that pass by in an instant while you read the story.

Steelwheels

I keep telling any young one starting out: "If you can figure out a way to move people and things cheaply and reliably, then you will be a billionaire, guaranteed. "Beam me up, Scotty!"

In one of C.S. Lewis" Space Trilogy stories, he has his angels pondering how much thought and effort humans put into transportation. It would take me a little while to find the reference if anyone wants it. Its one of Lewis' many sly insights that pass by in an instant while you read the story.

I love Lewis! I forgot all about the Eldila until I read your post. I remember how they, Eldila, had to stand against the wind while on our "silent planet" because it was moving so fast. Ya' gotta love his perspective.

• Like 1

Cynthia Lewis

OK, I am on my way to the Noerr Pole in tomorrow for my Santa to attend their University.  Guess I can find room for Out of the Silent Planet in my back pack!

• Like 1

Steelwheels

OK, I am on my way to the Noerr Pole in tomorrow for my Santa to attend their University.  Guess I can find room for Out of the Silent Planet in my back pack!

I think Perelandra has the quote you're thinking about. It's been a long time but that seems about right.

Santa Bruce Geron

I still enjoy receiving Christmas Cards and other cards through out the year by post. We are in the process of sending out Thank You cards for our Wedding last month. Yes, it does have a cost but as they old ad said: memories - priceless.

Santa Johnathan

I love writing letters and sending out cards, even putting a little drawing in each. I cannot imagine skipping that. I realize it is an expense issue, but a time issue...that's the point. Taking a moment to wish someone "Merry Christmas" is important. I collect and even make high end fountain pens, and am a member of the Penmakers Guild. I can tell you, there is a whole community that places a great importance on taking time to write letters. There is nothing like sitting down with a quality paper, liquid ink and a gold nib fountain pen.

Cynthia Lewis

Santa Johnathan, no doubt your missals are true works of art and are so valued.  My Christmas cards would probably go straight to the round file.  Your description of your cards reminds me of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters.  When God made me he left out art.  My Santa husband, who does have an eye for that sort of thing, is always amazed at how much I miss.  I'm a true nekulturnik.  My scribblings make a 2-year-old look like DaVinci.

Funny thing is, I work in Graphics and have been a draftsman since I was 3.  But I make signage where the only priority is clarity of communication.

I try to ask every artist I meet: "what is  your definition of art?"  I would like to know yours!

Steelwheels, I think you are right about Perelandra, but I have good reason not to trust my memory.  I believe  Ransom had an interview with the Oyarsa in OotSP before they sent him home.  It COULD have been there but still, you are probably right.  I tried to shortcut the process by Googling it but did not find anything.  Came across a guy who has made a DVD called the Narnia Code!!!  Have it on request from the Library.  (Highly skeptical of his hypothesis.)

Allan Siu

I used to love writing an update letter and enclosing it in all the Christmas cards that I sent out.  I have a two year old now, so, those days are long gone!

ULq4Diy.jpg

I do send out the family picture Christmas card, though.  However, as you may well know, it gets quite expensive having those picture cards printed at Walgreens and then paying for the postage on top of that!

Cynthia Lewis

I think Perelandra has the quote you're thinking about. It's been a long time but that seems about right.

I found it (I think).  In my 1972 Macmillan Paperback, bottom of page 102: Ransom is being interviewed by the sorns on the way to Meldilorn.  "Two things particularly struck their minds:  One was the extraordinary degree to which problems of lifting and carrying things absorbed our energy...."

Lewis may repeat this in Perelandra.  Will let you know if he does.  Its good to be reading him again.  Relaxing.  Do you care for Terry Pratchett's Discword?  Guilty pleasure, but his "Long Earth" series seems to have lost all the humor.  You can tell he is sick.  Anyway, it seems a plot device to remove one of the fundamental problems that plagues mankind and explore the consequences...

What this has to do with Christmas cards is beyond me...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.