Elf Hermey

Anti-Christmas Protests to Launch Thanksgiving Morning

Elf Hermey

As news begins to trickle in of retailers planning to open in the wee hours of Thanksgiving Day we’re hearing that anti-Christmas protesters are planning to be there, too. It begs the question: Will Thanksgiving Day become the ultimate battleground in the War on Christmas?

The media is already in a tizzy each holiday season over “Christmas creep” — the selling of anything Christmas before Thanksgiving.

But when major retailers shifted Black Friday specials before and after Thanksgiving dinner last year the chorus of anti-Christmas voices blossomed in defense of retail workers forced from their families on Thanksgiving.

Unions organized and in parts of the country Black Friday morning protesters marching against low wages and working on holidays made headlines coast to coast.

Social media campaigns and online petitions were launched to seek out supporters who would not shop those Thanksgiving sales events.

But is all this upset of the shopping frenzy-before-the-feast really about Christmas?

We concur with those critical of retailers capitalizing on Thanksgiving Day. We’re against it. But we don’t blame Christmas. We blame retailers.

Regardless, the anti-Christmas forces of the FFRF and other atheist-driven organizations smell opportunity and will use the abuse of Thanksgiving to preach their anti-Christmas gospel.

DefendChristmas.com has been told that protests and banners this year will bear criticism of Christmas as well as retailers. In their view, none of this madness would be happening if not for Christmas. They will claim the sanctity of home, family and tradition are actually being spoiled by…Christmas.

It is a pretty compelling argument. We wonder where it will lead. And we wonder if it just might be enough to begin to turn the tide against culturally popular secular Christmas traditions such as Christmas shopping.

We can’t help but think a more frugal Christmas would be a good thing for everybody. We can’t help but agree the “rush to buy” is an absurd byproduct of an otherwise cherished season. By embracing an anti-Christmas strategy on Thanksgiving the FFRF just might swell their ranks overall.

View the full article

KKringle

Look, I don't buy anything anti-Christmas people have to offer, I am not opposed to seeing Christmas merchandise and decorations in stores, but I do Believe there is no need for stores to be open on Thanksgiving. Leave people to their families. Let Black Friday be what it is and stop pushing it forward.  Thanksgiving is a day of rest and preparation and a day to be thankful for all we are given.  It is a time for families and not fighting in stores to see who is going to grab the latest high tech gadget.  Just my opinion.

• Like 5

Santa Johnny Boy

FFRF?  Come on,  put 'em up!!! :ranting::sc_rasberry::down::026:

SCSanta

I also detest that Black Friday specials have now become an all day Thanksgiving pre-sale. The article mentions blaming the retailers, but I disagree. I blame the shoppers. If there were no shoppers going to the stores on Thanksgiving Day, I promise you, the stores would not open.

Mississippi Elf

Thanksgiving should be just that!   A day to recognize how blessed we are as individuals, families, and as a nation.   Let the retail employee's have a day to enjoy.  While I am thinking about it, "Thank you Lord for my brothers and sisters in red, They are a real blessing to me.

• Like 2

Elf Without Jingles

And again, this is precisely why the folks at P.C. Richard & Son take the time on Thanksgiving Day, as they have done throughout their 104 years in my neighborhoods, to state their constant respect for the fact that Thanksgiving needs to be a time spent with loved ones.

• Like 2

Chris Capstone

Media created controversy. Gotta generate those clicks!

Morgan Putnam

We live in a consumer society with planned obsolescence of goods to fuel sales (think cars or phones or fashion clothing) .

We also live in an age where the paradigm is shifting, for multiple reasons, from endless growth to sustainabilty across different economic and social sectors.

But...we're not there yet. So in the mean time, as the pie shrinks; the competition for individual pieces of it increases geometrically.  Gotta grow those sales or at least increase the margins.

And let's not kid ourselves, Christmas has 2 sides in this country and always has.  One religious, the other commercial secular.  The push for the almighty Christmas-Buck is gonna get way worse before it gets any better.

Big Jim Santa

Big Jim Santa from Peoria IL (9-28-2014)

I agree with most of you but you and I know that every store just about stalks there shelves early before each holiday to get the best deals and profit for there customers.

Plus as a Claus we need to be all we can be for our  friends when we dawn on the Santa .

alison

As someone who is old enough to remember when stores were closed on Sunday, along with most holidays, I say no to Thanksgiving shopping. Honestly, who in their right mind wants to go shopping Thanksgiving Day or Boxing Day and New Year's Day for that matter. Here in England, the only two days retailers must be closed is Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. I'm sorry to say the latter is being challenged by one or two of the big retailers, knowing that nothing will be done about it. I keep expecting to see sales declining year on year as the recession continues to keep unemployment and the cost of living high. It also doesn't help that retail relies heavily on the last quarter of the year to make or break profit projections.

Any wonder Christmas is hard to defend when its seen as little more than a retail op. 

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.