Sign in to follow this  
Carlo Klemm

Leaves just starting to turn, but Santa getting prepped

Carlo Klemm

by  Burt Constable - Daily Herald

Oct 2, 2014

Excerpt:   The calendar says October, but the shopping malls are hiring Santas, elves, photographers and others. This casting call at Oakbrook Center seeks people to work in a DreamWorks Animation experience that will feature Shrek lending a hand to Santa.

Having just bought presents for his young niece and newborn nephew, Raymond Krassel strides toward the parking lot of Oakbrook Center when he answers the call for help.

"Casting Call: Santa needs your help!" reads a small sign near the mall's new Fireplace Pavilion.

The leaves on the trees are just starting to turn colors, but malls are hiring Santas, elves, greeters, photographers and the crew needed to man Santa's workshops this holiday season.

Having portrayed Santa Claus for 25 years, Paul Eggert of Aurora never had to audition for the part. With his natural long, white beard and a twinkle in his eyes, Eggert just found himself in demand to play Santa for his son's Cub Scout troop, his church, charities, community groups and as the lead character on a Santa train.

Older boys sometimes tug to check if his beard is real. Some kids are huggers and others are screamers. Some won't say a word, and others can't stop talking. Parents often obsess about their desire to capture the perfect photograph. But Eggert says the job of Santa boils down to one simple philosophy.

"For the most part, it's how you deal with kids," says Eggert, who can change his demeanor and adjust his Ho-Ho-Hos to make a child comfortable. "I always try to put myself in the shoes of the kids."

Whether a child can't wait to chat with Santa or is dreading the moment, the wait creates anxiety, Eggert says. He does research on popular toys and gadgets, watches parents for clues about gift expectations, turns into a social worker or counselor on occasion and always has an answer ready for every question about reindeers, chimneys, elves, cookies, Mrs. Claus or the physics of his deliveries.

"It's magic," Eggert says, "and then I try to bring them back to the naughty or nice question."

SOURCE

KKringle

The leaves here are just about at peak. Within a few weeks we will have nothing on the trees, But we are in few swing Christmas mode here in planning Kringleville planning is alive.

Santa Leonard

I'm waiting for my "official" start of the season - "See Your Breath Day". 

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron

Today was the first day of Turtle-Necks. The weather forecast predicts snow flurries in Northern Iowa tonight.

Edited by Santa Bruce Geron

Elf Without Jingles

by  Burt Constable - Daily Herald

Oct 2, 2014

Excerpt:   The calendar says October, but the shopping malls are hiring Santas, elves, photographers and others. This casting call at Oakbrook Center seeks people to work in a DreamWorks Animation experience that will feature Shrek lending a hand to Santa.

Having just bought presents for his young niece and newborn nephew, Raymond Krassel strides toward the parking lot of Oakbrook Center when he answers the call for help.

"Casting Call: Santa needs your help!" reads a small sign near the mall's new Fireplace Pavilion.

The leaves on the trees are just starting to turn colors, but malls are hiring Santas, elves, greeters, photographers and the crew needed to man Santa's workshops this holiday season.

Having portrayed Santa Claus for 25 years, Paul Eggert of Aurora never had to audition for the part. With his natural long, white beard and a twinkle in his eyes, Eggert just found himself in demand to play Santa for his son's Cub Scout troop, his church, charities, community groups and as the lead character on a Santa train.

Older boys sometimes tug to check if his beard is real. Some kids are huggers and others are screamers. Some won't say a word, and others can't stop talking. Parents often obsess about their desire to capture the perfect photograph. But Eggert says the job of Santa boils down to one simple philosophy.

"For the most part, it's how you deal with kids," says Eggert, who can change his demeanor and adjust his Ho-Ho-Hos to make a child comfortable. "I always try to put myself in the shoes of the kids."

Whether a child can't wait to chat with Santa or is dreading the moment, the wait creates anxiety, Eggert says. He does research on popular toys and gadgets, watches parents for clues about gift expectations, turns into a social worker or counselor on occasion and always has an answer ready for every question about reindeers, chimneys, elves, cookies, Mrs. Claus or the physics of his deliveries.

"It's magic," Eggert says, "and then I try to bring them back to the naughty or nice question."

SOURCE

So, Santa Paul Eggert is the first Kringle who'll be hangin' out with Shrek as part of DreamWorks' DreamPlace Initiative, eh? Let's keep an eye on them, so we can find out who the other six Santas are in those six other malls who are doing this! 

Edited by Elf Without Jingles

Cynthia Lewis

Leaves still green in Texas.  Met the Rancho Cucmonga Santa at Noerr University.  He was very positive at the prospect.  Wish it wasn't Shrek, though.

Santa Hill

No leaf changing for us here in Florida but it might dip into the 50's tonight and that will be a treat. It was almost 80 yesterday morning at 4am on my way to work.

davidjcross1984

No leaf changing yet but this Santa is gearing up for the season

Glenn Johnson

Actually, Santa Paul is not at Oakbrook and will not be at this DreamHouse. I get the great fortune of again being at Oakbrook Center. It is the perfect venue for this trial, being an outdoor Mall. Looking forward to an exciting season with Shrek and the gang!

• Like 2

Santa Marty

The leaves are still lush and green here..... No snow in sight!  :)

Santa Ernie in Miami

The only thing changing color down here is my beard. I get the fall colors on my face!

Santa Marty

The Great Pumpkin Rises AGAIN! 

Santa Leonard

The leaves are starting to turn here in piedmont North Carolina.  There was a chill in the air, and swirls of fog over the creeks and treetops.

Santa Bruce Geron

The leaves are past prime here and the trees are almost bare. We hear we are to have a harsh winter.

Santa Leonard

Just another day in paradise.

Yeah, we know, Marty.  It's a tough life, but somebody has to do it, right?

Santa Marty

Yeah, we know, Marty.  It's a tough life, but somebody has to do it, right?

Well.... Yeah.

Elf Without Jingles

Actually, Santa Paul is not at Oakbrook, and will not be at this DreamHouse. I get the great fortune of again being at Oakbrook Center. It is the perfect venue for this trial, being an outdoor Mall. Looking forward to an exciting season with Shrek and the gang!

In which case, SantaGlenn, let me say we look forward to hearing about your adventures as one of the --- dare I say it! --- DreamWorks DreamPlace Santas!

(Hmmm.... I wonder how that'll look on a marquee?)

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.