Sign in to follow this  
Elf Hermey

Utah Town Brings Halloween and Christmas to Sick Little Boy

Elf Hermey

In a close-knit Utah town where time has become a precious commodity for one family, the Christmas lights are already up and Halloween is in full swing 10 days early.

The town of West Jordan has come together to ensure that a 4-year-old boy with only a short time to live gets to make the most of it. Ethan Van Leuven has been battling acute lymphoblastic leukemia for more than half of his life, and doctors have declared that his illness is no longer treatable.

“So the doctors basically said, he’s got two days to a couple of weeks left to live, and so that’s when we thought we would make the most of the last days he has remaining with us,” Ethan’s father, Merrill Van Leuven, told Joe Fryer on TODAY Friday.

On Tuesday night, the community of West Jordan celebrated Halloween 10 days early as Ethan put on his Superman costume and went trick-or-treating. Two days later, the town held a parade in honor of Ethan’s fifth birthday, one month before the actual day.

“Ethan’s having a blast,” his mother, Jennifer Van Leuven, told Fryer. “It’s so much fun to watch his face light up.”

The week of holidays will continue on Friday when the community celebrates Christmas Eve, with everyone on the block putting up Christmas decorations. A local radio station is even switching their format to Christmas music for the day.

“We know that it is a real tough time for them,” one neighbor told Fryer. “We want to be there for them.”

The family and community are aiming to make every moment special for Ethan in his final days. On Saturday, they will celebrate Christmas, Ethan’s favorite holiday.

“It’s a really difficult time, but this just makes it a little bit easier just to see how many people love and support,” Jennifer said.

View the full article

Santa Roberts

I live not far from there. One of the local radio stations played nothing but Christmas music for this little boy last night. I volunteered to go down and be their Santa, but they already had someone else. What a wonderful outpouring of love from the community for this little boy. 

• Like 2

Santa Marty

What a great community!

KKringle

I saw story on the national news this morning. Brought tears to my eyes. Prayers go out to that little angel and his family.

Santa Leonard

It is wonderful to hear of people working together to make this boy's life special.  What a blessing to the boy and his family.  Prayers uplifted for all.

Santa Alan

I also heard this story on the news on Network TV.  God bless this little boy and his family as they apparently celebrate the Christmas season together for the last time - at least on Earth.  It certainly helps us all to put the Christmas Spirit and the message of the Birth of our Savior in an appropriate perspective as we approach this blessed nativity season.  As Tiny Tim would say:  "God bless us - every one!"

Santa Alan   :santa101: 

:merry: 

Santa Bendron

Can't imagine going through this in the family's shoes. So good to see a community coming together like this. It gives you such hope for the future at a time when there is so much gloom. May Heaven give this family the strength to withstand this trial, and to keep in mind that they can be together again.

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron

I saw this story on the news. Beautiful, just beautiful how the community comes together to aid this family.

Santa Johnathan

This is such an incredible gift this community has given this boy. My prayers go out for this family.

Elf Without Jingles

Merrill, Jennifer --- I want you both to listen to me.

Ethan was indeed a very special child, and God blessed you both wholeheartedly. It's not fair that so precious a child as this should be taken from you in this way. It breaks my heart knowing that you will never see him outlive you, never be there to watch him make his own decisions, as a child, and eventually as an adult. To discover that that whole town would do something so special for one very important little boy reminds us as to what Christmas really means. Put simply, it is more than just the day that Santa Claus delivers presents. It exists, as it has for the last 2000 years or so, to remind the human race of just how much unconditional positive regard Mankind is truly capable of. Would that we could cease for just one precious moment and take the time to care for our fellow human beings. "You may say I'm a dreamer," John Lennon wrote in time of yore, "but I'm not the only one." None of us are the only ones. But I promise you, Ethan van Leuven will be remembered, not just by those of us here at ClausNET, but, I hope, by every girl and boy on Earth. I'm sure that Santa, in his role as King Nicholas of Forever, is making sure that this wonderful child will indeed join those who are of their own choice brave, truthful, and unselfish.......

Guys, I'm gonna cry, because this is probably one of the most beautiful stories that's ever been posted here. Anybody got a hankie? (Sniffle!)

• Like 1

Ol Santa

Howdy Y'all...

...Ol' Santa here.   Now I gotta' tell you.   That town of West Jordan, Utah

knows what Christmas is all about!

"Christmas is for Kids" and in this case...one very special kid.

Can you imagine what those parents are going through?   I have to tell

all you folks.   If you can get involved with a Children's Charity you'll find it to

be the most rewarding thing you can do with your free time.

Give it a try.   You'll be amazed at how young it makes you feel!

Ol' Santa

Santa Roberts

I am sad to announce that Ethan passed away this morning. It was wonderful to see the outpouring of love the community gave him. 

Elf Without Jingles

I am sad to announce that Ethan passed away this morning. It was wonderful to see the outpouring of love the community gave him. 

Rest in peace, little one. There will certainly be room for you amongst those lovable angels. May they come to love you in Heaven, in the same way that we here on Earth loved you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.