Michael Rielly

‘Santa’ arrested for domestic assault

Michael Rielly

‘Santa’ arrested for domestic assault

By Bill Tomison
WPRI.com
February 25, 2015

EXCERPT:

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — Police have charged a Pawtucket man — who legally changed his given name to Santa Claus — with domestic assault, after an incident last week where he’s accused of choking his wife.

Santa Claus Almeida, 83, was arrested Sunday and charged with domestic assault by strangulation and domestic disorderly conduct.

Police say a family member had brought the victim to the police department on Saturday and told officers Almeida had assaulted and struck her several times, that he yelled and cursed at her, and that he punched her shoulder, whereupon she fell to the ground. Then, he allegedly put his arm over her neck, making it difficult for her to breathe. Almeida eventually let her go, but continued to yell at the woman.

The woman did not have injuries that warranted medical attention.

Almeida faced a judge Monday at Sixth District Court, where he was told to stay away from the woman, according to the Rhode Island Judiciary’s website. Police said Almeida’s personal recognizance was set at $20,000. He’s due back in court May 4.

According to the Pawtucket Times, Almeida impersonated Saint Nicholas in the past, and was a highway foreman and city employee. He also served as a U.S. Marine during the Korean War, and donated to shelters for battered women and programs for abused children. A 1996 article from the Associated Press said Almeida had changed his name from Virgil.

SOURCE: http://wpri.com/2015/02/25/santa-arrested-for-domestic-assault/

Santa TJS

Never heard of this guy, local from RI. I did hear of a guy from New York state that changed his legal name to Santa.

Santa Marty

This is not the Santa Claus that was involved in the recent I Am Santa Claus movie is it?

Santa Leonard

Given his age, I suspect that Alzheimer's may be impacting this man's behavior.  The article did not specify any past incidents or arrests, and he seems to have had a stable career and life.

We are going through this with my dad and mother.  He has not become violent yet, but becomes frustrated and angers easily.  I am going to pray for this man and his family.

• Like 3

Felix Estridge

This is not the Santa Claus that was involved in the recent I Am Santa Claus movie is it?

No.  This is not the same person.  The gentleman that is from NY that legally changed his name to Santa Claus was formerly known as Frank Pascuzzi and he was one of those featured in the shameful piece that you mentioned.

SCSanta

Given his age, I suspect that Alzheimer's may be impacting this man's behavior.  The article did not specify any past incidents or arrests, and he seems to have had a stable career and life.

We are going through this with my dad and mother.  He has not become violent yet, but becomes frustrated and angers easily.  I am going to pray for this man and his family.

I agree with you. I have seen it happen to family members. Offering my prayers as well...for all concerned.

Steelwheels

I hope the legal system can determine if there was a crime committed and if there was, who may be guilty.

Michael Rielly

I know this guy. I've met him a couple of times. I understand he had issues cashing his checks because they were made out to "Santa Claus". This is just one of the problems with guys changing their name to "Santa Claus". Now the news will report this as "Santa Claus found guilty of..." or "Santa Claus arrested for..."

KKringle

Just a sad situation and Like so many of you, I think that prayers are needed. Prayers for he truth and prayers for strength. This worst part is how the media is going to twist and spin this. I pray for them too.

Santa George

He had been to the Cape Cod gathering once or twice and was always kidding and joking and was a nice man. The issue is that in the original article of the Pawtucket Times there was another sentence right after the sentence states,The woman did not have injuries that warranted medical attention. and the omitted sentence was, She told police that he has mental health issues.

I wonder if WPRI article left that out on purpose to make it more dramatic or was it a mistake. I do not condone this behavior at all but the whole story was not correctly reported somewhere.

• Like 3

Michael Rielly

He had been to the Cape Cod gathering once or twice and was always kidding and joking and was a nice man. The issue is that in the original article of the Pawtucket Times there was another sentence right after the sentence states,The woman did not have injuries that warranted medical attention. and the omitted sentence was, She told police that he has mental health issues.

I wonder if WPRI article left that out on purpose to make it more dramatic or was it a mistake. I do not condone this behavior at all but the whole story was not correctly reported somewhere.

WJAR reported that the woman was not hurt.

Man named Santa Claus accused of domestic violence Feb 25, 2015
By NBC 10 News

6836064_G.jpg

Police said an 83-year-old Pawtucket man who legally changed his name to Santa Claus is accused of domestic violence.

Santa Claus Almeida was charged with domestic assault by strangulation and domestic disorderly conduct. Police said Almeida assaulted and choked his wife last week at their home.

Police said the 68-year-old woman was not seriously hurt.

The Pawtucket Times reported that Almeida has been a city fixture for years, playing Santa Claus starting in the 1970s.

Almeida's next court hearing was set for May 4.

http://www.turnto10.com/story/28202131/man-named-santa-claus-accused-of-domestic-violence

RevDrStevenMentzer

Years ago I had to rush from seminary because my dad did that to mom and we had to 302 him for three days of observations. We found out dad had mini-strokes. They lived the last two years of their marriage apart.

Cynthia Lewis

Ooooh, this explains much!  Transient Ischemic Attacks?  Family and friends with dementia doing such out of character acts!  And does it seem like dementia is on the rise?  Suddenly I know several (4 very close) and we need time to prepare.  This is a needed insight, sir!

RevDrStevenMentzer

Quiet One, the terrible part about dementia patients is the disease remove the mind and personality and leaves behind the image of someone who has no clue that they were our parents.

Saint MacNicholas

Quiet One, the terrible part about dementia patients is the disease remove the mind and personality and leaves behind the image of someone who has no clue that they were our parents.

I'm sadly familiar with that.  My mother passed away in 1999 from complications from Alzheimer's/dementia.  As I've told folks, we lost Mom long before she died.

• Like 1

Cynthia Lewis

My Santa husband's Grandma, my Mom, my Mom-in-Law, the gentle priest who married us almost 41 years ago, our best friend all lost at least part of their personalities, if not so violently.  Forgive and pray for forgiveness.  How do you deal with someone you know turning into a stranger?  Is there any preparation?

It is a reminder not t judge a situation by what is reported in the media.

Edited by QuietOne

Santa Leonard

When my grandmother's dementia became severe she had to be placed in a group home,  I happened to work in a business located next door, so I visited her every day.  I was the final family member she could recognize, but then became just a nice man who came to visit.

I learned more about her childhood and enjoyed listening to her experiences growing up on a farm.  I never tried to "force" her memory and let her lead our conversations.

I am so grateful for these final visits with her.

• Like 1

Steelwheels

"...the terrible part about dementia patients is the disease remove(s) the mind and personality..."

I know it's common to refer to the "mind" when perhaps we mean the "brain" and vice versa. But my contention is this horrible disease (Alzheimers/Dementia) affects the brain and not the mind, forgive me if it seems like I'm splitting hairs. I am convinced not just by the improbability of physical determinism, but also by personal experience. My own experience with Alzheimers/Dementia was with my Mother. She struggled with the disease for the final 10 years of her life until she passed away 7 years ago. I was tough on all of us who loved and admired her, she was a very elegant and sophisticated lady. She set the bar high for all of us. As the disease progressed we grew fainter to her, but an odd thing started to happen. When we would gather with her as a family, she didn't recognize any of us, her actions were jittery and tense, her eyes would dart around and she couldn't sit still. Yet even with these physical manifestation of the disease, every time we prayed together, she would get calm. Sometimes her eyes would water up and tears would start to flow down her cheeks, and ours as a result. We had found a "backdoor". The disease blocks access to the person through the "front door" (brain) but the physical disease cannot damage what isn't physical, the spirit...the mind. And while the toll on her physically was evident, praying allowed us to know and sometimes actually see, her mind and spirit was intact.

• Like 1

Santa Vern Crawford

Here are two beautiful songs that help put a positive light on the the challenges of living with loved ones dealing with dementia and/or alzheimers.  Both are written and performed by sensitive and talented songwriter friends.  

We are truly blessed.

Frank Martin Gillian - I Remember Who She Is

http://youtu.be/kjg9kGERgF4 

Curtis and Loretta - Gone Forever

http://youtu.be/v_Cu0oQKJ9c  

Hugs,

Vern

Cynthia Lewis

Brain, mind, soul, spirit - we cannot draw the lines.  Probably a good thing.

Santa Gordon

" the terrible part about dementia patients is the disease remove the mind and personality and leaves behind the image of someone who has no clue that they were our parents."

I lost both parents to dementia. My mother died with Alzheimer's dementia and she was a very angry 3 year old. My father passed away from alcoholic's dementia. Dad could be totally lucid on any given day, tell you what he had for breakfast, who was the President, how the world political events were shaping up and what the latest ball scores were, but unfortunately he would be relating a day in 1957.  At other times dad would simply be off his nut walking down the street, naked as a J-bird searching for his sword to help General George Washington fight the Klingons.

Neither parent could recognize their children for the last years of their lives. 

RevDrStevenMentzer

Santa Gordon: Initially that is the hardest thing I deal with patient families. They want to re-orient the patient for today's reality only to cause arguments from the patient. Sadly, they will continue to try even when we try to educate on the stages of dementia. It's usually trying to struggle to gain one more memory or to hear "I love you". I could never remember my dad saying that but after he was placed into a facility, and I was headed to MA to pastor, I told him I loved him and he said, "I love you too, Steve".. I walked out crying and thanking God because I would never hear it again. It still brings about a tear. It is a terrible disease.

Felix Estridge

We learned to not force the perspective orientation with my father.  He was diagnosed in 1982, my senior year in high school.  When I left home in 1984, he was still mobile but had lost his perspective on reality, frequently speaking of when he was a young boy and his chores at his parent's home on the other side of the farm.  It got to the point where he would walk to the end of our 100 yard driveway through the pasture to get the mail, like he did every day, and then, with the mail in his hand, turn around and not know where he was or which way to go.  He soon lost all motor control and his limbs were frozen.  Right before he died in 1993, he finally was unable to recognize most of us.  My mother was a saint during all this.  She had it hard, for sure, working a full time job with the USDA and taking care of him.  My brother helped out while she was working or we had a caretaker come in.  His died in his sleep.  My mother had turned him in the bed and came back in the room with breakfast 30 minutes later and he was gone.

Santa Vern Crawford

In addition to the two YouTube links i posted earlier in this thread, here is another beautiful story song that shares a wife's perspective on supporting a partner with dementia.  This one was also written by Loretta Simonet about her mother and father.

Can you Take Me Home by Curtis and Loretta

http://youtu.be/aN77Yhd96dU

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.