Michael Rielly

Some beards contain more poo than a toilet shocking study reveals

Michael Rielly

Some beards contain more poo than a toilet shocking study reveals

Daily Mirror
3 May 2015
By Hayley Coyle

EXCERPT:

According to microbiologists, hairy faces could actually be dirtier than a loo because of the rancid bacteria that beards collect

Sorry hipsters with your fancy face hair - apparently the average beard can have more poo in it than a toilet. Yum.

According to microbiologists, hairy faces could actually be dirtier than a loo because of the rancid bacteria that beards collect.

John Golobic, of Quest Diagnostics in New Mexico, swabbed a number of beards searching for bacteria and determined that while several beards contained normal bacteria, but some contained so much poo they were comparable to toilets.

If there were similar samples in the water system, the scientist said it would have to be shut down for disinfecting.

Dr Golobic said: "I'm usually not surprised, and I was surprised by this.

"There would be a degree of uncleanliness that would be somewhat disturbing."

Bearded-man.jpg

Toilet: Some beards contain more bacteria than a loo

Apparently the key to a poo-free beard is washing your hands and a good old thorough face scrub - and resisting twirling your moustache like a Victorian gent.

Mr Golobic added: "Try to keep your hands away from your face, as much as possible."

Meanwhile pogonophobia is the heightened fear of beards leading to nausea, sweating and rapid breathing.

Because some beards are just more frightening than others.

SOURCE: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/beards-contain-more-poo-toilet-5631899

• Like 1

Eileen Strom

too funny!

Carlo Klemm

Mike.  You have no idea of how true this is. Not funny, when you are at the feed trough and see the stuff sticking in the beards (not necessarily Santa's)

Michael Rielly

Keep those beards clean! This goes for ALL Santas, not just the RBS folks!

• Like 1

Santa Castor

Sounds like a crock of ****

• Like 3

Steelwheels

Not just beards need to be kept clean. Hair, eyebrows, (for some really manly men) ear and nose hair too. Or really anywhere you might touch with your hands. It's not the hair that's the problem it's your dirty hands. I guess the cleanest option is to become a carnial nudist.

Edited by Steelwheels

Steelwheels

It really is. The source is a new reporter in New Mexico the found a "handful" of bearded men. Not a scientific study by any means. "Handful"...5? This doesn't even address the subjective opinion of the author. How about a blind study.

• Like 1

Chris Capstone

I think the word you're searching for is "poo." As in poo poo face.  :sc_ph34r:

Santa Bob of Tulsa

This just means if you don't wash your hands your going to spread Pooh all over your head. Heck, you might even be sticking your poo poo pinky up your nose.

Chris Capstone

This just means if you don't wash your hands your going to spread Pooh all over your head. Heck, you might even be sticking your poo poo pinky up your nose.

Hahaha! That's what I love about ClausNet, the intelligent discussions we have!  "...poo poo pinky up your nose."

• Like 2

SCSanta

Of course with the regular bleaching my beard gets, I suppose I kill off some of it.

Fortunately I am a little bit obsessive with hand cleanliness. I even keep wipes in my Santa bag and give my beard a once over during breaks.

• Like 3

Michael Rielly

We're getting some interesting responses on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ClausNet

Not sure how this article constitutes that I or others are somehow jealous of someone with a real beard. As several folks have mentioned already, it has nothing to do with actual growing whiskers. Those of us who glue on our whiskers face the same issue with germs and possibly other nasty things lodged in the whiskers.

Felix Estridge

Not sure how this article constitutes that I or others are somehow jealous of someone with a real beard. As several folks have mentioned already, it has nothing to do with actual growing whiskers. Those of us who glue on our whiskers face the same issue with germs and possibly other nasty things lodged in the whiskers.

You're just jealous!!!

Chris Capstone

Some folks are always spoiling for a fight. Do these RBS guys think that TBS don't have to be concerned with keeping beards, staches and wigs clean? Hair is hair. In fact, the more of it you got, the harder it is to keep clean.

Most people would be shocked to see the amount of work that some of us put into washing and styling...washing and styling...washing and styling. I wish I could afford more sets so I could cut down on the work during the season.

By way of full disclosure: I just shaved off all my facial hair (stache and goatee) which I had worn for many years. I was tired of messing with waxing, trimming, etc. and keeping it clean. From now on I'll be wearing a false stache when performing as a magician. Here's my new look:

11058729_10205255774451899_2154251517404

Edited by Chris Capstone
  • Like 1

SantaCoreyB

now this is a before coffee thought.

SantaCoreyB

wonder if Disney's Dreamfinder ever thought about this much.

dreamfinder.jpg

• Like 1

Michael Rielly

Some folks are always spoiling for a fight. Do these RBS guys think that TBS don't have to be concerned with keeping beards, staches and wigs clean? Hair is hair. In fact, the more of it you got, the harder it is to keep clean.

Most people would be shocked to see the amount of work that some of us put into washing and styling...washing and styling...washing and styling. I wish I could afford more sets so I could cut down on the work during the season.

By way of full disclosure: I just shaved off all my facial hair (stache and goatee) which I had worn for many years. I was tired of messing with waxing, trimming, etc. and keeping it clean. From now on I'll be wearing a false stache when performing as a magician. Here's my new look:

11058729_10205255774451899_2154251517404

Exactly my point!

If anything we have to be extra careful as we don't have the advantage of showering daily with our beards like RBSs!

Chris Capstone

I misted my beard, wig and stache with alcohol between washings. The alcohol evaporates completely and leaves no smell.

Santa Castor

wonder if Disney's Dreamfinder ever thought about this much.

dreamfinder.jpg

We can discuss this until we are blue in the suit......

Ooops

I wonder how many of the test subjects may have been 'praying to the porcelain gods' prior to their swabbing

Eileen Strom

You make a great point Mike...at least the RBS's (and I am assuming here) shower everyday and wash their beards (both during and in the off season), so that they can look their best before each day's worth of appearances. And then hopefully try to keep their hands off of it once it is styled.

You guys however, (and again I am assuming here) don't wash your designer beards after each day's use, as I imagine getting them back into "shape" again requires a whole lot of time and work.

So what do you do? Brush or wipe them and maybe spray some sort of disenfectant on them after each day's wear?

Carlo Klemm

I also mist my beard between washings, but I rotate through 4 sets of them so can go a little longer than most. Yes they are all kanakelon and a little baby powder brushed in also helps.
This year when I wear the new glue-on lace backed beard, I'll have to see how to handle it. I know that with the lace release spray I'll be using, it will be easier to get the glue out and they won't need as much preparation to get ready again. I'll have 2 sets like that so can rotate week about too and they are human hair . (I generally only have weekend events so lot's of time during the week to get ready). 

Santa Marty

Santa Edson,

Every adhesive will also have a solvent for its removal. Chris Capstone gave me a tip for cleaning which will allow you to clean the glue and yet preserve the styling. Since the lace is ½ to two inches or so that's all that you need to clean. Take a small glass jar (jelly jar) pour enough solvent into the jar to cover the lace. Roll your beard up loosely and put it in the jar lace down to soak. If you are carefull handling the beard you can retain the styling.

For the stash, I poured a little solvent in a saucer and lay it in on the dish.

Using this method will also lets you recycle / reuse the solvent.

Chris, feel free to elaborate. I defer to your expertise.

Back to the loo beard, be careful where you put your face, wash and condition regularly.

Edited by Santa Marty

Michael Rielly

You make a great point Mike...at least the RBS's (and I am assuming here) shower everyday and wash their beards (both during and in the off season), so that they can look their best before each day's worth of appearances. And then hopefully try to keep their hands off of it once it is styled.

You guys however, (and again I am assuming here) don't wash your designer beards after each day's use, as I imagine getting them back into "shape" again requires a whole lot of time and work.

So what do you do? Brush or wipe them and maybe spray some sort of disenfectant on them after each day's wear?

I am getting beat up by a couple of RBSs on our Facebook page. Geez!

I clean (soak) the lace in rubbing alcohol after each use. I also spray the beard with alcohol before styling.  

Chris Capstone

I found a fine misting spray bottle at Sally that is fantastic for the purpose. I spray a super fine mist of alcohol all over my beard and soak the lace in a solvent that is basically a mixture of alcohol and acetone. I also rub my face down twice with alcohol before gluing on the pieces. It's not for hygiene, it's to remove any skin oils to increase adhesion of the glue, but the side benefit of all this alcohol use is nothing is gonna be growing on the hair pieces or on my skin. I also mist the wig inside and out with alcohol and even the inside of my suit and hat if I have seen sweating.

By the way, some people think its dried sweat that causes a garment to smell, but I think it's actually bacteria and/or fungi that cause it. that's why the old circus clowns used to spray the insides of their costumes with a half a bottle of vodka. Then they would clean their insides by drinking the other half of the bottle. (Those old circus clowns sure were sticklers about hygiene.)  :sc_wahoo:

• Like 1