Name: The Night Before Christmas read by Keith Morrison
Category: Christmas History and Traditions
Date Added: 2015-11-06
Submitter: Michael Rielly

Keith Morrison Reads "The Night Before Christmas" | NBC News

The Night Before Christmas read by Keith Morrison

• Like 1

Nick Hudson

I have been reading this story every morning for a month working it out the way I want it.. They only thing I prefer is Merry Christmas not Happy Christmas. Adds some thought to the way I read it. 

Michael Rielly

When Clement Clarke Moore penned - A Visit From St. Nicholas (T'was The Night Before Christmas) "Merry Christmas" had a much different meaning than "Happy Christmas". At the time to be "merry" meant a very different thing. Merry is a reference to "merriment", which is implies celebrating noisily and often included indulging in drinking.

Edited by Michael Rielly

SCSanta

When Clement Clarke Moore penned - A Visit From St. Nicholas (T'was The Night Before Christmas) "Merry Christmas" had a much different meaning than "Happy Christmas". At the time to be "merry" meant a very different thing. Merry is a reference to "merriment", which is implies celebrating noisily and often included indulging in drinking.

Indeed it did. Dickens references Bob Cratchit's Christmas celebration in the following lines...

"Hallo!" growled Scrooge, in his accustomed voice, as near as he could feign it. "What do you mean by coming here at this time of day."

"I am very sorry, sir," said Bob. "I am behind my time."

"You are?" repeated Scrooge. "Yes. I think you are. Step this way, if you please."

"It's only once a year, sir," pleaded Bob, appearing from the Tank. "It shall not be repeated. I was making rather merry yesterday, sir."

Steelwheels

Not sure why there are two posts for these video readings but...

Definitely one of the best readings I've heard.

Michael Rielly

Not sure why there are two posts for these video readings but...

Definitely one of the best readings I've heard.

•  

When you click on View New Content the default is to see ALL new content. So that would include the new entry in the Videos section and the new topic created in the discussion forums. If you only want to see new content in the forums, simply filter your Content Type in the left column for Topics.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.
      However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.
      Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.
      That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
      Below is Corporal Schmidt’s original version as printed in Leatherneck in 1991.

Merry Christmas, My Friend
      by Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt
      Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
      In a one bedroom house made of plaster & stone.
      I had come down the chimney, with presents to give
      and to see just who in this home did live
      As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
      no tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
      No stocking by the fire, just boots filled with sand.
      On the wall hung pictures of a far distant land.
      With medals and badges, awards of all kind,
      a sobering thought soon came to my mind.
      For this house was different, unlike any I’d seen.
      This was the home of a U.S. Marine.
      I’d heard stories about them, I had to see more,
      so I walked down the hall and pushed open the door.
      And there he lay sleeping, silent, alone,
      Curled up on the floor in his one-bedroom home.
      He seemed so gentle, his face so serene,
      Not how I pictured a U.S. Marine.
      Was this the hero, of whom I’d just read?
      Curled up in his poncho, a floor for his bed?
      His head was clean-shaven, his weathered face tan.
      I soon understood, this was more than a man.
      For I realized the families that I saw that night,
      owed their lives to these men, who were willing to fight.
      Soon around the Nation, the children would play,
      And grown-ups would celebrate on a bright Christmas day.
      They all enjoyed freedom, each month and all year,
      because of Marines like this one lying here.
      I couldn’t help wonder how many lay alone,
      on a cold Christmas Eve, in a land far from home.
      Just the very thought brought a tear to my eye.
      I dropped to my knees and I started to cry.
      He must have awoken, for I heard a rough voice,
      “Santa, don’t cry, this life is my choice
      I fight for freedom, I don’t ask for more.
      My life is my God, my country, my Corps.”
      With that he rolled over, drifted off into sleep,
      I couldn’t control it, I continued to weep.
      I watched him for hours, so silent and still.
      I noticed he shivered from the cold night’s chill.
      So I took off my jacket, the one made of red,
      and covered this Marine from his toes to his head.
      Then I put on his T-shirt of scarlet and gold,
      with an eagle, globe and anchor emblazoned so bold.
      And although it barely fit me, I began to swell with pride,
      and for one shining moment, I was Marine Corps deep inside.
      I didn’t want to leave him so quiet in the night,
      this guardian of honor so willing to fight.
      But half asleep he rolled over, and in a voice clean and pure,
      said “Carry on, Santa, it’s Christmas Day, all secure.”
      One look at my watch and I knew he was right,
      Merry Christmas my friend, Semper Fi and goodnight.
    • Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      Born in Germantown, Pennsylvania, Louisa May Alcott (1832 –1888) was an American novelist and poet who authored over 30 books and short-story collections. She is best known as the author of the novel Little Women (1868). Alcott’s career as an author began with poetry and short stories that appeared in popular magazines, often under the nom de plume, A.M. Barnard.
      A Song For A Christmas Tree
      by Louisa May Alcott
         Cold and wintry is the sky,
         Bitter winds go whistling by,
         Orchard boughs are bare and dry,
      Yet here stands a faithful tree.
         Household fairies kind and dear,
         With loving magic none need fear,
         Bade it rise and blossom here,
      Little friends, for you and me.
         Come and gather as they fall,
         Shining gifts for great and small;
         Santa Claus remembers all
      When he comes with goodies piled.
         Corn and candy, apples red,
         Sugar horses, gingerbread,
         Babies who are never fed,
      Are handing here for every child.
         Shake the boughs and down they come,
         Better fruit than peach or plum,
         'T is our little harvest home;
      For though frosts the flowers kill,
         Though birds depart and squirrels sleep,
         Though snows may gather cold and deep,
         Little folks their sunshine keep,
      And mother-love makes summer still.
         Gathered in a smiling ring,
         Lightly dance and gayly sing,
         Still at heart remembering
      The sweet story all should know,
         Of the little Child whose birth
         Has made this day throughout the earth
         A festival for childish mirth,
      Since the first Christmas long ago.

• Carlo Klemm
      By Carlo Klemm
      Has Christmas come early? The Coca Cola has been spotted ahead of its UK tour
      September 26, 2017
      By JAMIE BULLEN, ABBIE BRAY - Devon Live

Excerpt:  Devon, UK - It appears the holidays are coming.
      The Christmas countdown has seemingly kicked off after the iconic Coca-Cola truck has been spotted, 12 weeks before Christmas.
      The illuminated lorry adorned with the image of Santa Claus tours the UK in the run-up to Christmas.
      Stewart Power, who filmed the truck in Dagenham, East London wrote online: "Just seen the Coca Cola truck on the A406, does this mean it’s offically ok to talk about Christmas now?
      "This truck gives everybody that warm feeling inside from when they where younger."

The bright red lorry made 44 stops across the UK over the holidays last year with children handed free sugary drinks.
      The drinks giant was accused of promoting an unhealthy lifestyle as experts called for an end to the whistle-stop tour.
      A letter signed by five public health directors and members of the Faculty of Public Health, said: “We can celebrate without allowing Coca-Cola to hijack Christmas by bringing false gifts of bad teeth and weight problems to our children.”

SOURCE:
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 88 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 31 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.