Caleb Sigmon

Internet Erupts as Malls Across America Ditch Christmas Trees

Caleb Sigmon

Wow - This has exploded tonight over a mall photo set that is close to my home.  

Shoppers are furious that the company has replaced their gigantic Christmas tree with a glacier display.  

Here is the article and video: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/no-giant-tree-christmas-display-southpark-year/npHbk/?ecmp=wsoctv_social_facebook_2014_sfp

People are bashing their online facebook page... read some of the comments: https://www.facebook.com/SouthparkMallNC/

Glenn Johnson

One unhappy shopper on Facebook posted "No green tree, no green money from me." I bet there will be a tree up by next weekend.

Santa Marty

Glenn are you starting tomorrow?

Edited by Santa Marty

Glenn Johnson

Just got home from the soft opening tonight. We go "live" tomorrow. We are already 60% booked for the season with Fridays - Sundays already gone. Our location is actually requiring a pre-paid picture package to confirm a reservation slot.

Santa Marty

Stay healthy and enjoy!

Im in studio tomorrow.

Santa Caras

I always try to keep an open mind to new ideas. Comparing the two.....the tree wins hands down every time. Someone had their head up so far they wernt able to see the Christmas lights and realize that when it comes to Christmas, most people do not want change. They want their children to experience the magic they had when young. Since it's the parents that shell out the money, they will have a poor season of sales. I feel for that Santa. Looks like he's sitting in a cave.

• Like 2

SCSanta

I don't blame the folks for being upset. A tree is so iconic...as is Santa Claus. If there was a desire for a change to something in an ice theme, surely there were better ways to go about it rather than a piece of modern art sculpture. The picture shows it from a weird angle...I am not sure how this works as a photographic background.

• Like 1

Eileen Strom

I don't blame people for being upset - what a dud!

Even if there isn't a tree, the 2014 set at least was inviting, bright, cheerful, and had a nice feel to it. The 2015 set is sterile, dull, and completely unappealing (esp. from the view we have of it).

Let me guess...the mall went for a "neutral non offensive look?" Well guess what, every time one of these outfits, be it a mall, store or other organization, goes for "holiday" over Christmas, they offend. They offend the very people that they want to shop at their establishments and purchase their products. And whether there is an ugly set or an over the top one, if you are still going to have Santa Claus there, well then so much for your not offending banter. Santa = Christmas. So malls and the others need to quit being politically correct, which offends more than it doesn't. Grow A Spine, and embrace the Season! The customers that they turn away are fewer and far between than the ones they will keep by welcoming Christmas.

And brushing aside whether you believe in the commercial side of the Season, it is still going to be there in some capacity. I myself, look forward to when the shopping centers and other places are decked out with lights and all other manner of festivity. It makes me smile and puts me in a good mood. And if you have people in a good mood, 10 to 1 they will spend money (hopefully staying within their budgets!) including $ on the pictures with Santa,

• Like 5

Santa John Y

They call that a glacier? Looks like anything but one to me. Even a glacier could have a tree next to it. I like some modernization up to a point, but brother!........ So is the Santa wearing a candy cane striped suit or some other grotesque "modern" outfit?

• Like 1

Ol Santa

Next thing you know, we'll all be replaced by a talking Kangaroo who carries all the toys in his pouch and hops from

rooftop to rooftop!

Ol' Santa

Why do people want to make changes for change sake?   What's wrong with continuing traditions?

• Like 1

Kris Claus

"Modernize the holiday experience"  Which is PC hokum for "We are bowing down to the hyper sensitive-hyper critical mind set."

Back in the late 1990's to early 2000 Macy's would not allow their Santa's say, "Merry Christmas"  Only "Happy Holidays.".  Mind you, this was before the days of social media and it so upset people that Macy's was losing customers left and right.  They soon recanted that policy.

Business has to understand, the power of the people (and social media) is bigger than them.

• Like 2

Elf Without Jingles

And as usual, the ongoing struggle between Santa and the so-called "politically-correct police" comes into play, and, regrettably, we don't necessarily come out on top. When we all of us bound ourselves to the Eight Principles of the Santa Claus Oath, we were willingly accepting the responsibility of defending our standards against any and all who sought to challenge them. Now, with this incident in Charlotte, North Carolina happening, I have to wonder: Are we going to battle these challenges responsibly? I can only hope so.

Elf Hermey

The past 24 hours have seen an extraordinary burst of Christmas spirit from shoppers and Christmas fans upset at what Simon Property Group, a major mall developer with almost 300 malls in the Untied States, is doing to traditional Christmas displays associated with Santa Claus. They have abandoned Christmas trees,...

View the full article

Santa Johnny Boy

Political correctness going way too far.  Fire the set designer!

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

This is not a Christmas set.  Bash away, bash away, bash away all!

• Like 3

SCSanta

:sc_rasberry: Just Terrible!!!

Whatever happened to using focus groups before you make drastic changes like this. Sure would save some embarrassment and ill will.

Eileen Strom

They call that a glacier? Looks like anything but one to me. Even a glacier could have a tree next to it. I like some modernization up to a point, but brother!........ So is the Santa wearing a candy cane striped suit or some other grotesque "modern" outfit?

What also gets me about this set - and I am not sure where they got the "glacier" name for it, altho, I have only seen one side of it, but even if it had been an igloo - there was certainly a way it could have been done so as to inspire Christmas at the Pole magic! But they didn't.

The 1st Santa Claus movie used an igloo sort of look when Scott and Charlie descend into the North Pole stable area for the 1st time - it was a totally awe inspiring set.

Such a shame that this thing is soooo ugly - no lights, no sparkle, just a dud.

santaclause1.jpg

Michael Rielly
  • Like 4

Santa Marty

Bring Back The Tree!  Indeed!!

Share, share and share some more!

Caleb Sigmon

So... the mall just announced that they will be bringing back the tree!  Took less than 24 hours of complaints!!

• Like 4

Santa Castor

I think if you do a Google search for similar images, it will take you to images of suppositories. Perhaps that is where the designer got their inspiration, and where it should be placed.  I wonder how many of these they had constructed?

• Like 1

Eileen Strom

Finally found a picture of the "inside" view of this nightmare! And this picture shows the set AFTER they added the trees and it still sucks. There is nothing pretty, magical, or any other Christmas type of adjective that can be used to describe this travesty. Santa is sitting "alone" in a dark recess with no backdrop, no twinkling lights - I bet smaller children are actually going to find it a bit scary. The Simon Mall's marketing team, and this includes EVERYONE on the management side that OK'd this dismal piece of junk should be handed a pink slip.

11168026_930957923645806_2601467514459744747_n.jpg

davidjcross1984

I agree with Eileen completely, it looks scary to be in

Santa Arthur

What will be next?  Will they ask Santa to look sharp, feel sharp, and be sharp?  That would be like having the Easter Bunny without long ears.

Santa Arthur

Eileen Strom

Notice that there are no elves either. Usually some of the photo people are dressed up too - not this time - what a sad thing.