Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rielly

Exploring the significance of Santa Claus

Michael Rielly

Exploring the significance of Santa Claus

The Daily News
April 28, 2016

EXCERPT:

Over the past 50 years or so, commercial interests have, to a considerable extent, hijacked Santa Claus in the interest of selling “things.” Prior to the ‘40s and ‘50s, Santa Claus, aka “St. Nicholas,” remained more spiritually significant.

One of the more memorable and instructive images of legendary Albion native Charles W. Howard shows him — as Santa — kneeling beside a cross. Though Mr. Howard tried his hand at toy-making, the image suggests that Charles Howard may have viewed Santa Claus much differently than he is often thought of now. Before he was used to promote Coca Cola and Mercedes Benz, Santa Claus was more often viewed as representative of a much more altruistic message and a force for good.

It was clear during last year’s Santa Convention in Albion that it was not primarily an interest in selling tin soldiers, Lincoln Logs, and video games that captured the imagination of Mr. Howard and the hundreds of Santas who revere him.

Rather, it is that Santa Claus embodies, in terms understandable to a 3-year-old, principles with religious significance. Santa Claus and Christmas are inseparable.

In one of the best known Christmas songs, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” the assertion is that, “He sees you when you’re sleeping; He knows when you’re awake; He knows if you’ve been bad, or good, so be good for goodness’ sake!” The “He” seems to refer to Santa Claus.

But isn’t the concept of Santa Claus as ever-present, all-knowing and just curiously familiar to those for whom God represents the same qualities? St. Nicholas was a Christian Saint. For those being introduced to Christianity as children, hasn’t it always been useful to introduce the idea that virtuous conduct is rewarded? As children, one of the first Christmas messages we received is that an omniscient One knows what we are doing whether any mortal sees us or not.

One of the things that are likely developed through our early experiences with Christmas — and Santa — is a conscience. As children, we learn that it may be useful to behave in order to avoid displeasing Santa. Hopefully, the concept evolves as we mature. Note that the lyrics from “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” cited above, end with “...for goodness’ sake,” rather than, “...so you get some toys.”

The song title is, of course, misleading in one important way. It states, “Santa Claus is coming to town,” when in truth it implies he is always “in town” making note of how deserving we are.

On the 50th anniversary of his passing, it might be well to reflect that Charles Howard — and Santa Claus — were traditionally less about selling “things” and more about selling virtue

SOURCE: http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn06/exploring-the-significance-of-santa-claus-20160428

• Like 2

Cedar Park Santa Bob

I may get beat up for this because I'm new to "All Things Claus" ... but I am 70 and I have seen and felt a lot.  And I think you are right, Santa Claus is sometimes hi-jacked to support and promote various products and activities.  Because of some of this usage, "Santa Claus" has become a bit controversial. Some good people would like to see the end of Claus, saying the myth has nothing to do with the birth of the Christ child. Good luck with that. I've known folks who have tried to raise children without the myth of Santa ... they couldn't do it. Santa, for good or ill, is pervasive.

But what is also pervasive, especially on this board and other Santa associations and banners under which "Santas" gather ... is the primary essence of Santa is love.  Especially love and care for children, but essentially love for all. And love that pure is non-denominational. God's love is infinite, without limits.  That is a fine thing to emulate. And many, many Santas approach their activities mindful of that goal. I know this because they tell me so, and I see it in them when I meet them.

I'm old enough not to concern myself with things I cannot control, including ideas, campaigns and individuals (seems I read something about that earlier regarding "new Santas" at the north east gathering).  So, I'm not going to try. Instead, since I can control my ideas and actions, that is where I will put my emphasis. And hope to share with others what others have shared with me.

Edited by Cedar Park Santa Bob
spelling
  • Like 2

FrSanta

For some Santa is a business, it is a way to make money and way to sell products. The commercializing of Christmas is not something new, Charlie Brown complains about it in the 1965 cartoon. We can now add the secularizing of Christmas as well, where Christ doesn't belong either. Sometimes Santa is used as a secular counter to Jesus, and sometimes Santa is attacked for distracting from Jesus.  We live in a very polarized time where it seems that everything is controversial and anything you hold dear is offensive to someone.  Sometime we might wonder will Christmas survive?  

I believe that it will, I believe that Love, which is at the heart of Jesus' birth,  St. Nicholas and Santa will always win.  Love when it is express both in word and actions can not be silenced because it speaks to our hearts.   When I put on the red suit, my goal is to show and express love to young and old, to bring joy and lift hearts.  Every Santa can be an ambassador of love, the suit gives us permission to be joyful, loving, caring and compassionate.  People want it and respond to it.   I believe that no matter how commercial or secular the world becomes it will still want and need Love.  For anyone of faith, this is God, who is the source of all love, we proclaim our faith when we love others.  All the material goods in the world will never satisfy in the way that being loved does. The more we love and are loved the happier we will be. Santa is a messenger of love and doesn't compete with Jesus nor substitute for him either, he is like John the Baptist preparing the way, he calls to mind, what is good and right and helps to celebrate Christmas. 

Edited by FrSanta
  • Like 6

Santa Bill Reiller

Excellent post FrSanta.   I think you included it all in a nutshell.

Santa Ross

Great post FrSanta! 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      World largest Christmas maze now hiring
      WTSP
      Andrew Krietz
      October 5, 2019

EXCERPT:
      Think you could play the part of an elf? What about a toy soldier? Enchant Christmas is hiring! Billed as the world’s largest Christmas light maze, Enchant Christmas is hiring hundreds of people for character actors and customer service roles. Interviews are expected to take place during the next few weeks at Tropicana Field, where the event will take place.
      People are asked to send a headshot and resume to flcasting@enchantchristmas.com for consideration to play a Christmas "enchantress," elf, toy soldier or townsfolk.
      Availability must be open for at least either Christmas Eve or Day, among other requirements. From Nov. 22 to Dec. 29, the ballpark’s outfield is slated to be outfitted with a massive light display and a Christmas market with more than 60 local food and merchant vendors.
      Tickets are $19.99 and are on sale now at stpete.enchantchristmas.com. People interested in customer service jobs are asked to visit the Tampa Bay Rays' website and click on "enchant opportunities."
      SOURCE: https://www.wtsp.com/article/entertainment/events/enchant-christmas-jobs-florida-tropicana-field/67-2cd0e276-95e3-473b-8bac-aa1b93b2551e

• Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      Early Christmas display causes Monroe resident to call the city
      Ken Brown
      Fox19
      October 5, 2019
      EXCERPT:

Christmas in September ... It’s not a holiday you hear celebrated often in the fall, but the Schmitt family Christmas celebration took place in Monroe in mid-September this year.
      “Every year we get together for Christmas and we’ve done this for as long as I’ve known,” Monroe resident David Schmitt said.
      Schmitt is a native of Wisconsin and most of his family still lives there. At 54 years old, Schmitt is the youngest of nine siblings who still try to get together to celebrate the Christmas holiday each year.
      “The drive to Wisconsin, where my family is from, it’s kind of hard to do in December,” Schmitt said. “So this year we said, ‘How about Christmas in Ohio?’ September, good driving weather ... nice weather ... I thought, ‘Perfect, everybody could come here for Christmas.’”
      “As everybody gets older we don’t get to see each other as often and living so far away from each other. It was really wonderful to just be able to have everyone together,” Donna Schmitt said.
      To celebrate the early holiday family gathering, Schmitt decorated his house with lights and ornaments three months ahead of the actual Christmas holiday. The early appearance of Christmas décor had at least one resident concerned enough to call the city of Monroe.
      “All you had to do was pull in the driveway and ask us and we would have told you... probably offered you a beverage,” Donna said.
      The city asked the Schmitt’s to remove some decorations that were too close to the road. No citations were issued and the family was given 60 days to remove any other decorations that were not in compliance with the city code.
      SOURCE: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/10/05/early-christmas-display-causes-monroe-resident-call-police-city/3879715002/

• Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      Mariah Carey will celebrate 25 years of her Christmas album in Atlantic City
      The Philadelphia Inquirer
      by Nick Vadala
      September 30, 2019
      EXCERPT:

It’s been 25 years since Mariah Carey dropped her popular holiday album, Merry Christmas, and now, the singer is celebrating the release with a yuletide tour that comes to Atlantic City this December.
      Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas Is You” tour hits AC’s Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena on Dec. 7. The stop is one of five planned shows from Carey on the East Coast this coming holiday season, with additional concerts scheduled to take place in cities including New York, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
      SOURCE: https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/mariah-carey-all-i-want-for-christmas-tour-atlantic-city-hard-rock-20190930.html

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 93 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.