Cedar Park Santa Bob

Cherry Hill and Noerr are to merge

Cedar Park Santa Bob

Cherry Hill and Noerr (http://www.cherryhillphoto.com/about-us.html and http://www.noerrprograms.com/) appear to be merging ... these are two of the largest employers of 'mall Santas' in the US.  I recently signed a contract with Noerr and planned to attend their Santa University in Colorado at the end of this month.  I just got a call with this news and was told to expect a package in the mail.  I am Norman New Guy ... but I actually think this is a good thing for Santas ... because it may offer more options from a standpoint of locations available.

• Like 2

JimBoone

I have just negotiated and sent in my contract with Cherry Hill and there was no mention of this. will be interesting to see.

Elf Without Jingles

Now that's BIG news, says I! Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

Cedar Park Santa Bob
8 hours ago, JimBoone said:

I have just negotiated and sent in my contract with Cherry Hill and there was no mention of this. will be interesting to see.

I think the terms and conditions of Cherry Hill Santas will be unchanged. That may be why it did not come up. I'm just speculating but Noerr Santas were employees (paid and receive a W2).  Cherry Hill Santas are independent contractors.  I think the Noerr Santas will now receive new contracts conforming to the independent contractor status paid and receive a 1099 ... I'm guessing that's what my package will be. I'm not expecting any real change to the payments and hours ... just the "how", payment instrument. Status.  For example, as an employee ... there could be tax withheld from a paycheck.  As a contractor, no withholding and it is up to the contractor and the IRS to settle up.

The possible benefit to the Santas would be that locations which were previously Noerr ... or Cherry Hill will now be available to all the Santas. So, there may be some opportunity regarding changing to a preferred or more convenient location.

Edited by Cedar Park Santa Bob

Santa Bill Reiller

It will be interesting to see for sure.

Cedar Park Santa Bob

OK ... got an email from Noerr Programs Santa Central announcing an "alliance" between Cherry Hill and Noerr. I really don't know what that means but it informed me that I will be receiving a new contract to sign and return.  In my initial post I said Noerr and Cherry Hill "appear to be merging".  The communication I just received refers to an alliance ... is that the same as a merger? In my book, a merger is when two ( or more ) become one. An alliance ... not the same thing in my book. But what it is ... I dunno.

I apologize for confusing anyone ... everyone ... myself, especially. I'm going to attend Noerr's Santa University at the end of the month in Colorado.  I think I'll just put this out of my mind until then.

• Like 2

Santa Bill Reiller

Waiting to hear from Cherry Hill on a possible contract now. I hope I hear something by the end of next week.

Santa Caras

I too, have signed with Cherry Hill as a first year mall Santa. Looking forward to this. Hours appear to be reasonable and happy to turn over the photo side and set to someone else. No mention was made of this but dont see where it will have an affect on me in anyway. Im just kinda in a "wait n see" mode as Ive never done this before in a mall. 

Cedar Park Santa Bob

well ... the new contract arrived. The company is "Cherry Hill Noerr Photo Enterprises". Key difference is that under the previous contract with Noerr, the position was as an employee. This contract positions the Santa as an independent contractor. This adds some organizational tax responsibilities on the contractor. The biggest thing I see involves the insurance.

As an employee, Santa would be covered by the company's insurance.  As a contractor, Santa is required to acquire a suitable policy.  This is not a biggie for me as I had always intended to acquire a policy through my membership with the Lone Star Santas.  There are many insurance options available to Santas.

Regards,

Bob

Felix Estridge

A Cherry Hill Noerr Photo Enterprises rep has been in contact with Lone Star Santas seeking guidance on setting up insurance like we have at LSS, IBRBS, FORBS, AORBS, etc.

Elf Without Jingles

Cherry Hill Noerr Photo Enterprises --- that's a mouthful of a name, guys! I'll let the KQ Group know about it ASAP!

JimBoone

As an employee, did Noer contribute to Social Security? As contractor you have to pay both sides. Did they raise your wage to compensate for not paying in their share. Also as contractor, no dress time, did Noer pay dress time? Just curious if the change just saved them money or benefit Santas that now work for the combined company.

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles
19 hours ago, Cedar Park Santa Bob said:

well ... the new contract arrived. The company is "Cherry Hill Noerr Photo Enterprises". Key difference is that under the previous contract with Noerr, the position was as an employee. This contract positions the Santa as an independent contractor. This adds some organizational tax responsibilities on the contractor. The biggest thing I see involves the insurance.

As an employee, Santa would be covered by the company's insurance.  As a contractor, Santa is required to acquire a suitable policy.  This is not a biggie for me as I had always intended to acquire a policy through my membership with the Lone Star Santas.  There are many insurance options available to Santas.

Regards,

Bob

A sensible arrangement. However, I've been asked to find out how and where you got your information from, Bob. Not that it matters, but I'm getting responses that say that there was no such announcement of the two companies getting together; otherwise, I wouldn't have noticed immediately.

Cedar Park Santa Bob

This is likely to be an unsatisfactory response because I don't have answers to all questions. Regarding withholding Social Security and income tax, etc .. I don't know. I never collected a pay check for Noerr so no experience, there. This is my first year under contract with them. Now, the insurance is an added expense.  Even so, I planned to get the insurance myself so that change does not really effect me.

I know what I'll be paid for the "season" ... and I'm not paid by the hour ... and the hours of the day and days of the week vary but the amount paid does not. So change time, walking to the set ... none of that enters into it for me. 

I'm there until the last child has a chance to visit Santa ... and if that means we are there after closing ... I will not be paid more.  And .. honestly ,... I don't care.  It isn't as though I'm going to say to a child "well .. that's it. I'm done.  Get here earlier next time".  The told me what to expect for the season ... they did not tell me specific days and hours.  Honestly ... as long as things are reasonable .. I don't care. While I need the money ... I'm not doing this for the money ... there are easier ways.

What I want from the employer is for them to create an infrastructure and set which delights the "client" ... the believer.  My role in that is to portray the Santa character .. to be Santa (as I have been advised) so that the child has a positive Santa experience. I took the job without knowing the days or hours .. so it's a bit late to come back  with .. "am I getting paid to dress"?  If a kid is there ... I'm there.  I'm good with that.

Since this is my first year .... maybe these questions are better answered by veteran Santas.  As to the source of the info, as I said in the post ... that is the contract I received. I have received a phone call, an email sent to everyone ... in case they were not available by phone (I was), and the contract (PDF file).  There may have been a press release ... I don't know if there was one.  I'm only mildly interested.

I don't think this changes anything for Cherry Hill Santas ... I've mentioned the changes to the Noerr Santas.  To me, .... this means a larger pool of locations open to the Santas from the "company".  I think that's great. I guess we'll see.

I will say that so far, I have been delighted with the attitude (upbeat, positive, and "pro-Santa") of the folks I have interacted with at Noerr Programs

• Like 4

Elf Without Jingles

Alright, I think those are adequate answers. I shall, I think, pursue this no further, and say that this was all a case of "What you see is what you get" --- the very premise upon which the entire Internet was built. 

Cedar Park Santa Bob

I just deleted a long post about my experience at Noerr's Santa U. Just got back from 4 days for classes, exercises, meetings and round tables. Noerr covers all the bases and provides a thorough infrastructure and support organizations to their Santas. Santa U was the sort of investment a world class organization puts in place to develop their resource; four days of classes, meetings, exercises, and roundtables.  Oh, and they did announce the merger and some Cherry Hill execs were there in the morning of the first day.

Not to mention the fun and benefit of spending four days with some world class Santas. Here is a video of the Santas packing some presents for Save our Children on the first day of Santa U, one of the charities Noerr participates in ... no need to watch the entire video ... but it gives a taste.  The video was shot by CNN for use on one of their programs ...though I have not seen the CNN coverage.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/13889632_767267590077016_65321581_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjEwNTEsInJsYSI6NDA5NiwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzZCJ9&rl=1051&vabr=584&oh=6c5a65cd7570203aa514ca531a6b7472&oe=57A2BD5B

... I should also mention that the Noerr staff is completely supportive and committed to their Santas.  I noticed that many of the staff had been with Noerr for decades ... which I regarded as a plus. To me, it speaks well of the organization. .. the personnel ... even the shared vision.

• Like 5

John Arthur

I'm an independent contractor for Cherry Hill. One advantage to this is I can deduct expenses that I incur as Santa. Expenses like an Office in the home, cost of insurance, costume expenses, & some of the self employment tax. Consult your tax professional.   

• Like 1

Santa Marty

I am having difficulty seeing any thing beneficial to performing Christmas or Easter enthusiasts coming out of this merger. 

• Like 3

Florida Kris Kringle

I see this being as beneficial for Santas as the airline mergers have been for passengers!

Where's Marty's sarcastic button when you need it?

• Like 1

Santa Marty
15 hours ago, Florida Kris Kringle said:

I see this being as beneficial for Santas as the airline mergers have been for passengers!

Where's Marty's sarcastic button when you need it?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Cedar Park Santa Bob
On 8/5/2016 at 11:43 AM, Santa Marty said:

I am having difficulty seeing any thing beneficial to performing Christmas or Easter enthusiasts coming out of this merger. 

The first three paras focus the the change of status of Noerr Santas from employee to independent contractor ... if you don't care about those, jump down to the last para ... short and sweet. There would be some advantages to some Santas who are now contractors instead of employees. Either way, all the power remains with Noerr and Cherry Hill, not the Santa. I've read my contracts, before and after the merger. One thing remains the same ... Noerr pretty much can do anything it wants any time it wants to do it.  I get to play along. I imagine the the Cherry Hill contracts are similar.  Having said that, from what I can see Noerr is a world class organization which takes pride and invests in their Santas. Cultivates a community of Santas, encouraging behavior that would be regarded favorably by subscribers here, based on the comments I have seen in the forums. That's my impression, anyway. 

As a contractor you can form a company and have the organization pay the company you created instead of you as an individual.  As an individual, you would receive a 1099 .. and pay your income tax.  As a company, you can deduct any all expenses from the revenue before being taxed on net revenue including expenses which cannot be deducted as an employee.  For example, an employee cannot deduct commuting to work.  A company can write off commutation as an expense. Btw ... don't accept tax advice offered in a forum on the Inet from strangers ... do your own research. You need to make an appt with your county tax office to discuss the options available to you in your state/county. In Texas is pretty easy and inexpensive.

Being a contractor affords some opportunities which you are free to engage, or not. But there really is no downside. Once your business entity has some funds in it .. it can pay you or just keep the funds. Once it has cash on hand, you can borrow money from it. Clearly .. you do not pay income tax on money lent to you ... but you have to repay the loan ... the IRS has no sense of humor about creating facetious loans to avoid taxes.  Even so, funds which are acquired by the company are an asset to the Santa.  Again, do your own research. Over time, I have had several companies in TX ... which is why I would suggest doing your own research and also talk with the local municipal employees .. you don't need to talk to financial advisors or CPAs (though you might want to if the monies involved warrant it) but municipal employees can be very helpful.

Regardless of what the Santa may or may not do as an individual, sole proprietorship, or LLC, the aspect that catches my attention is the potential benefit for a Santa is the potential to have more locations available to him for the season.  I don't know what the changes in Noerr and Cherry Hill corporate structures will be. But the potential for more venues is there.

• Like 2