Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rielly

Parents urged to stop pretending Father Christmas is real

Michael Rielly

Parents urged to stop pretending Father Christmas is real

The Telegraph

EXCERPT:

santa-claus-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB

Parents have been urged to stop pretending Father Christmas is real in case the "lie" damages relations with their children.

Spinning stories about Santa risks undermining a child's trust and is morally suspect, according to two experts.

Psychologist Professor Christopher Boyle and social scientist Dr Kathy McKay also condemn the idea of a "terrifying" North Pole intelligence agency which judges children to be nice or naughty.

Writing in the respected journal The Lancet Psychiatry, they argue: "If they (parents) are capable of lying about something so special and magical, can they be relied upon to continue as the guardians of wisdom and truth?"

In addition they suggest parents may not be motivated by thoughts of their children but a selfish desire to re-live their own childhood.

Defending the claims, Prof Boyle, from the University of Exeter, said: "The morality of making children believe in such myths has to be questioned.

"All children will eventually find out they've been consistently lied to for years, and this might make them wonder what other lies they've been told.

"Whether it's right to make children believe in Father Christmas is an interesting question, and it's also interesting to ask whether lying in this way will affect children in ways that have not been considered."

Dr McKay, from the University of New England in Australia, said there was clear evidence from the world of make-believe in movies and TV that adults looked for a chance to be children again.

"The persistence of fandom in stories like Harry Potter, Star Wars and Doctor Who well into adulthood demonstrates this desire to briefly re-enter childhood," she said.

In an article entitled A Wonderful Lie the authors write: "Perhaps the biggest moral breach of the Christmas lie comes with the fact that one day, the truth comes out.

"Children must all find out eventually that their parents have blatantly and consistently carried on a lie for a number of years. Children may find out from a third party, or through their parents getting bored of the make-believe and making a mistake; both might affect the trust that exists between child and parent.

"If adults have been lying about Santa, even though it has usually been well intentioned, what else is a lie? If Santa isn't real, are fairies real? Is magic? Is God?"

They conclude: "Many people may yearn for a time when imagination was accepted and encouraged, which may not be the case in adult life. Might it be the case that the harshness of real life requires the creation of something better, something to believe in, something to hope for in the future or to return to a long-lost childhood a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?"

SOURCE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/11/24/parents-urged-stop-pretending-father-christmas-real/

Santa Castor

You would think there would be empirical evidence of psychological damage from believing

in Santa Claus et al. I have often heard adults blaming their current status on their upbringing, 

althought I have never heard any specify Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy for their woes.

Quite the contrary, it seems they complain that their parents were not involved in their lives.  

Fantasy beliefs, require participation from a child's parent or parent figure, as well as the "village" as a whole.

So, these experts in their field, would have us believe that lying or misrepresentation to a child is poor

parenting.  Perhaps we should discontinue stranger danger programs, and all the various scare techniques

that parents use to raise their children.  Percentage-wise there is little chance that a child would ever be

exposed to the outcomes we tell them is inevitable if they ignore our directions.  I suppose Aesop's Fables 

and any fictional story that teaches a moral value will be considered too restrictive to free thought soon as well.

God helps us all, and that is something I will be teaching my child as well, regardless how the mainstream

will fight me.

• Like 2

SantaJoe

I actually had this conversion with our Asst. Paster (who a friend) before his child was born. He had similar concerns. Thankfully he allowed his son to believe in Santa. Last year while visiting at my Church's Christmas Party, one of our member's daughter Kara who was 8 years old told me that some of her class mates had been saying 'Santa wasn't real". Before I could respond she said, "I told them Christmas isn't about Santa. It's about Jesus. Santa is the Christmas Spirit that lives in your heart'! Well said Kara!

• Like 2

Santa G

Huh so the dude from the Santa Clause movie finally got published good on em. Lol

Schwindy
4 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

Spinning stories about Santa risks undermining a child's trust and is morally suspect, according to two experts.

Psychologist Professor Christopher Boyle and social scientist Dr Kathy McKay also condemn the idea of a "terrifying" North Pole intelligence agency which judges children to be nice or naughty.

Well their you go everyone! We are all going to be out of work and NOTHING will be able to stop "them", BECAUSE the "TWO EXPERTS" said so!

:sc_rofl:     :sc_rofl:     Animal House: Bluto's Big Speech, You tube it, I can't play it here! It's a little more than PG - 13 and naughty language but I will admit, the first thing I thought of when I read this post!

But  NOT surprised either that this is just one more thing we have been doing wrong since way back when! 

• Like 2

Santa Forbey

Next thing you'll discover "professionals" telling parents to stop telling their children God is real.  As parents, and grandparents, we have to draw a line, regarding the parenting of our children.  My children, all grown up with children of their own, have been taught, by me, about what is real about Santa and what is myth. They've been taught all of the good things we as Santa's representatives can do and teach to help children understand the principles of selfless giving and unconditional love. I've also taught them about how to use Santa, as a disciple of Christ. To teach about the reason for Christmas, and how to be a giving and caring citizen of humanity.

I don't need some godless, over-educated "professional" screwing up the heads of my children or grandchildren. They've been taught, by the father, grandfather, and Santa, how to be loving, caring, law-abiding  participants in their homes, communities, country and world.  AND I REFUSE TO RELINQUISH THAT RESPONSIBILITY!

Santa  Forbey

Edited by Santa Forbey
  • Like 2

SantaMikeUK

Perhaps these "experts" should turn their fire on to politicians. After all, they lie through their back teeth all the time. Anyway, we all know what an "expert" is don't we? "Ex" is something that has been, and "spe(u)rt" is a drip under pressure!

SCSanta

This seems like a prime example of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' (Latin for 'after therefore because of') which basically attributes cause and affect by the order in which they occur. A child believes in Santa -> A child grows up with issues -> Believing in Santa causes a child to grow up with issues! It is the most simple minded philosophical rubbish out there. It discounts all other intervening effects. It is the same logic that explains that breathing air causes illness because people who are ill breath air...therefore, breathing air is bad for you.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Post_hoc,_ergo_propter_hoc

• Like 3

Felix Estridge
3 hours ago, SCSanta said:

This seems like a prime example of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' (Latin for 'after therefore because of') which basically attributes cause and affect by the order in which they occur. A child believes in Santa -> A child grows up with issues -> Believing in Santa causes a child to grow up with issues! It is the most simple minded philosophical rubbish out there. It discounts all other intervening effects. It is the same logic that explains that breathing air causes illness because people who are ill breath air...therefore, breathing air is bad for you.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Post_hoc,_ergo_propter_hoc

I call it not taking responsibility for your actions.

Dr Santa Steve

Every parent has to make this decision. Personally, Christmas morning and the excitement of seeing what Santa brought for us, are some of my fondest childhood memories. I wouldn't deprive my child of the pleasure I got to enjoy. I harbor no ill will toward my parents for "the lie". I am grateful that they cared enough to make Christmas special for us. It would have been easier for them to just tell us Santa was a myth. Besides, we all know Santa does exist.

• Like 1

Tom Berent

Well you know what they say "When you stop believing in Santa Claus that's when you start getting socks and underwear for Christmas"

• Like 1

Bama Kringle
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, Michael Rielly said:

They conclude: "Many people may yearn for a time when imagination was accepted and encouraged, which may not be the case in adult life. Might it be the case that the harshness of real life requires the creation of something better, something to believe in, something to hope for in the future or to return to a long-lost childhood a long time ago in a galaxy far far away?"

Let's see: Parents may encourage belief in their children because the parents are nostalgic for a happy period of innocence, imagination, and childhood.

Therefore, let's make sure their children never have such a period in their lives.  Then they will not attempt to re-live it through their own children.

Yeah, that sounds a LOT healthier.......:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Santa Tragen
On 11/30/2016 at 3:02 PM, Tom Berent said:

Well you know what they say "When you stop believing in Santa Claus that's when you start getting socks and underwear for Christmas"

HAHAHA I mean HOHOHO !

SantaMikeUK
On 30/11/2016 at 9:02 PM, Tom Berent said:

I often share a secret with the children. The secret is that I tell them to watch the grown ups on Christmas morning, and if a grown up unwraps socks, it means they are on the Naughty List. The kids love the thought.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.