SCSanta

Santa Tells Kid to Lay Off the Hamburgers and Fries

SCSanta

Santa Tells Kid to Lay Off the Hamburgers and Fries

WLOS-TV via CBS
December 07, 2016

EXCERPT

hamburgers-and-kids_1481160245475_728562

Forest City, NC - A North Carolina mother wants the local Santa Claus fired after saying things that put her 9-year-old son in tears.

On Saturday, an otherwise jolly time on Main Street led to a holiday moment the boy would like to forget.

Anthony Mayse says he started crying after what the Santa had said to him. Anthony claims that Father Christmas told him to lay off the hamburgers and French fries.

Meeting St. Nick should have been the kicker, not the heartbreaker. According to Anthony and his mother Ashley, Santa acted like he didn't want to be there to do the job.

Anthony was asking for an iPod Touch and a drone for Christmas when the family said he was body shamed. He later tore up his picture with Mr. Claus, who's employed by Forest City to spread good cheer.

The town manager said Santa had apologized to both the supervisor and the Mayse family. However Anthony says when Santa went to apologize to him, he didn't even mean it.

Instead of a letter to Santa, Ashley would prefer the city send a "pink slip."

They'd like the Forest City Santa to "lay off" the insensitive comments. For now, no more St. Nick for them.

SOURCE: http://www.wltx.com/features/santa-tells-kid-lay-off-the-hamburgers-and-fries/365412990

Bestemor Claus

That poor child. It makes you wonder if thats how Santa put it or if thats how mom interpreted it. ( example- a friend says to me- "man losing weight is difficult". and I say- "I know what you mean.I have the same problem". And she comes back with- "so youre saying my problem isnt as important as yours?" ) on sensitive subjects, especially when a parent feels protective of their child ( and possibly guilty of thinking she is the one feeding him so any comment about the child's weight means she is a bad parent ) a comment that is not sympathetic or in a supportive manner  is taken as a threat. I would hope Santa was not as crude as this article implies. And I hope maybe this child can have a talk with a more understanding Santa. In any case you hate hearing bad news about the image of Santa and the fragile self esteem of children.

Nick Hudson

I'm going to say this, the fact of this is just because you look like Santa doesn't mean you can be can be Santa. The fact that you can make money with the white beard doesn't make you a Santa and the fact of it is it doesn't make you that much money. Learn what it takes learn what you need to do and if you don't like it stay away from it. If you're not willing to learn and you think you can just be sad to be going out there and sitting in a chair not smismile, not being child-friendly, not doing what it takes to do a proper job stay away! I had photographer asked me to come down over 90 miles to be her Santa because she can't find anybody this child-friendly like me. It isn't hard to smile and act like you like a child maybe it is I don't understand it. Have we come to a time we're saying is you're just doing it for the money and nothing else for the most part. I understand doing it for the money but if you the money do professional and do what you're supposed to do.

• Like 4

Michael Rielly

I was interviewed on the radio yesterday and the topic of "Bad Santas" came up.

I'm sorry, but some people should just not be Santa. Yes, I get that this is just a job for some people, but if you don't want to be there or can't portray Santa Claus properly, then get another job. There are lots of part time jobs out there. Growing or putting on a beard should not be the only qualification to portray Santa Claus. Sorry.

I hear all the time from photographers and other people who have hired me that last Santa they hired (or sat with) was grumpy or didn't smile or didn't talk or smelled funny.

• Like 6

Michael Rielly
3 minutes ago, Nick Hudson said:

I'm going to say this, the fact of this is just because you look like Santa doesn't mean you can be can be Santa. The fact that you can make money with the white beard doesn't make you a Santa and the fact of it is it doesn't make you that much money. Learn what it takes learn what you need to do and if you don't like it stay away from it. If you're not willing to learn and you think you can just be sad to be going out there and sitting in a chair not smismile, not being child-friendly, not doing what it takes to do a proper job stay away! I had photographer asked me to come down over 90 miles to be her Santa because she can't find anybody this child-friendly like me. It isn't hard to smile and act like you like a child maybe it is I don't understand it. Have we come to a time we're saying is you're just doing it for the money and nothing else for the most part. I understand doing it for the money but if you the money do professional and do what you're supposed to do.

Looks like we were writing and thinking the same thing at the same time.

• Like 1

Nick Hudson
7 minutes ago, Michael Rielly said:

I was interviewed on the radio yesterday and the topic of "Bad Santas" came up.

I'm sorry, but some people should just not be Santa. Yes, I get that this is just a job for some people, but if you don't want to be there or can't portray Santa Claus properly, then get another job. There are lots of part time jobs out there. Growing or putting on a beard should not be the only qualification to portray Santa Claus. Sorry.

I hear all the time from photographers and other people who have hired me that last Santa they hired (or sat with) was grumpy or didn't smile or didn't talk or smelled funny.

Looks like we are hearing the same thing to. This has been brought up more this year than I care to sky.

• Like 1

Glenn Johnson

And yet another story to add to the 'Bad Person' files. This was not a bad Santa any more than the creeps accosting hikers this past summer were bad clowns. These are people hiding behind a character, thinking it gives them free reign and excuses them from any personal responsibility. I'm sure this guy has had that thought when seeing an overweight child in the past, but he felt he could say something while in character because it wasn't HIM that said it, it was the character talking. The difference between him and those of us here on ClausNet is that we understand that the character is more important than the person. That is what I like most about ClausNet, taking good people and making them better.

• Like 3

Glenn Johnson

Here is how I handled a similar situation last year, as written in my daily journal the day after it happened:

November 18, 2015

Santa story of the day, yesterday. I have lost over 30 pounds coming into this season. I am determined to stay well all the way through, and I'm wanting to demonstrate a healthier lifestyle to the children. So far, they only people that have mentioned my 'slim' stature have been adult males. 
So, I'm sitting in my chair and a family comes in, Mom, Dad, 10 year old and 8 year old boys. The 10 year old is probably 4'8" tops and pushing maybe 225. He was BIG. He walks over to me and says "Wow, Santa, you are looking GREAT!" I explained that Mrs. Claus has me eating more fruits and vegetables and I'm expecting to be able to make my rounds on Christmas Eve much easier this year. He just nodded and we continued with the photo shoot. As he was getting up off the sofa next to me, he turned and said "You really do look good!"

I'm sure I was thinking something similar to what this guy in the Santa suit said, but I know my silence about his appearance had a much bigger, and likely more positive, impact on the young man.

• Like 3

Glenn Johnson

While we're on the subject, I also found this post I made on Facebook exactly 3 years ago today:
I've seen signs that say something to the effect of "Be sure BRAIN is engaged before putting MOUTH in gear". I have decided from my time in the chair that is much more important to be well connected with my heart and keep my brain out of the way!

SCSanta

I am particularly sensitive to overweight children when I am representing Santa. First of all, it is completely NOT their fault. If eating choices are the cause, then there are adults responsible. If it is a medical issue, then the child and parents have enough to deal with without being judged.

I notice the heavier children...particularly the girls...appearing very self conscious when smaller children are lifted on to my lap, and then it is their turn. I have a tremendous amount of upper body strength, so rarely is there a child I cannot lift if I sense that is what they want. If they are rather tall, then it usually works out best for all concerned for them to stand next to me and we are both at eye level. Opposite from the original story, it is amazing the number of parents who mock their own children for being heavy when they are visiting Santa. Just shameful!

Edited by SCSanta
Reason for edit: grammar police caught me
  • Like 1

High Country Santa Mike

I ask every child when they come up to me if they want to sit on my lap or stand.  Not because of overweight children but because I want the child to feel comfortable and lots of kids of all sizes prefer to stand.  That's okay with me.  If they want to sit I either lift them or they will start and I will pull them back.  I would never belittle a child over their size though I have heard parents say mean things like "Get ready Santa", "Do you really want him to sit on your lap?"  "He's too big to sit on your lap" and other terrible things.  I just brush those comments away and work with the child and let them do what they want and feel comfortable doing.  Seems to work for me.

• Like 1

Santa Ross
13 minutes ago, High Country Santa Mike said:

I ask every child when they come up to me if they want to sit on my lap or stand.  Not because of overweight children but because I want the child to feel comfortable and lots of kids of all sizes prefer to stand

This is what I have been doing as well, not to stero type however some kiddos on the islands are bigger . Not that their over weight per say but genetics from different parts of the world. Its all good with me. The smile and love kiddos have is all I look for!

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles

I've said it before, I'll say it again: you DO NOT EVER insult your target audience when you're on duty. I remind you all again, there's a reason Phil Wenz wrote down the Eight Principles of the Santa Claus Oath; when you affixed your signatures to that Santa Claus Oath Book, you bound yourselves to a sacred trust that you break on your own peril. I'm not gonna stand for any Santa who dares insult children in that way. Neither should you.

SCSanta

I continue to feel sorry for the children in situations like this. I had several families last night at the bakery visit that had heavy children. All but one of them commented on their child's weight before they sat on my lap. Most of them were along the lines of "Careful, he/she's heavy". My response was "Not to me she/he isn't".  I resisted the urge to respond to the parent about them commenting on their child's weight while taking them to a bakery for dinner. It wasn't easy, but I let it go.

• Like 2

Santa Caras

One bit of advice. When I greet the child, I exclaim.....My how TALL you are this year!!!

I NEVER say... My how BIG you are now!! That could be inferred to mean overweight or heavy. Words can hurt so make sure you use the correct ones!!

• Like 2

Santa Robin Z

I read this and I was shocked.  I can't think of any situation a comment like that to a child is acceptable, by anyone, let alone Santa.  The biggest fear I have as I enter into the world of Santa Claus is causing pain to a child, or adult, by not being a good Santa.