Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rielly

Man Who Looks Like Santa Asked To Leave Six Flags

Santa Marty

Like it or not, this thread has produced some very verbose comments.  Everyone seems to be playing nice even though it's a rather polarizing topic.

Great discussion!

Nick Hudson

Marty put your picture up! Your going against the rules! :mad: 

The thing of what Marty said was correct, it's a discussion and no need to go ever the top. 

A red jacket on with the beard (no not OK)

Red hat (no not OK)

beard and street cloths yes that's OK.

Chris Capstone
On 1/4/2017 at 2:27 PM, Chris Capstone said:

This sort of thing is a major problem in Santa Land. And even more sadly, nearly all of the guys with this problem don't know they have a problem. They think they are simply having fun. For them I guess it is fun. Which gets us back to what motivates them to continue 365 with the Santa portrayal. Most of the time it's about their own enjoyment and inability to graciously and wisely step out of the spotlight after the season is over. Sometimes it's also about money and being in a constant mode of self-promotion.

For the record, I don't take strong issue with a guy who does the 365 Santa thing when done for purely marketing and promotion reasons. I think it's effectiveness is questionable and it's possibly annoying or at least confusing to a large percentage of the general public, but I understand the motivation of having a business and the need to promote it. Santa is all some of these guys have. They can't switch to magician, pirate, clown, storyteller character, etc. in the off season so they keep Santa going.

Maybe some of those guys should look into developing a different character. It would be smart and they could leverage their existing Santa clients for the other character. Pirate and wizard characters are in pretty good demand for parties and events. If they like working with children and have skills it could work really well for them.

Making the crossover the other direction from magician to Santa has worked well for me. Because of the existing client and contact base as a magician I was able to get my Santa business up and running quickly. You'd be surprised how adding another character offering in the off season can be fulfilling both creatively and financially.

However, with respect to the guy in the Six flags incident, it's seems pretty clear to me he was acting like an idiot. But even if you disagree with me on that point I think you have to admit he was acting unethically and unprofessionally from a purely business ethics and etiquette perspective.

Look at it this way, a theme park (or any attraction, festival, event, etc.) spends money, lots of it, on advertising, promotion, branding, and all manner of expenses related to operations. Ask yourself, is it ethical for a guy to then come onto their property and take advantage of the huge crowds of people they have attracted as a result of their financial investment?

What if there was a huge Christmas tree lot in your community that attracted thousands of people every weekend. Would it be ethical for a Santa Claus actor to show up in a red vest with a Santa hat and walk among those thousands of people posing for photos, handing out candy canes and interacting as Santa? You know he's gonna get asked if he does parties or if he has a card. (Oh, and isn't it coincidence! He happens to have a stack of cards in his hot little pocket!:rolleyes:) The tree lot has spent thousands of dollars on advertising and promotion to get those people there but this guy just waltzes onto their property and piggybacks on their investment? Is that ethical?

And what of the potential liability of the tree lot? This guy just walked in off the street. They have no earthly idea who he is and he's attracting crowds of people to himself on their business property. Can you see the problem here? If I was the business owner/manager I'd ask him to please take off the hat, stop his interactions immediately and leave. If he did not comply immediately and without argument I would have him removed by security as this would be an additional red flag of a possible whackjob. I would see him as a potential liability and danger to my business. It doesn't matter if the guy is a nice old man with love in heart because as the business owner I don't who in the crap he is.

As Patrick said earlier in this thread "good intentions are never a substitute for good judgement." At the very least this guy has poor judgement but I think heading to a theme park wearing a red vest, Santa hat, and a bunch of candy canes reveals a much deeper issues than poor judgement.

Edited by Chris Capstone

Santa MikeE

How far is too far?  I think, from reading the comments in this thread, that the consensus is that this fellow did step over the line.  However, I think that some cases are not.  For the last two years, I have "gone Santa" at my office on the day of the office holiday party (not a full Santa suit.. just the white beard and red hat, last year with a "Santa T-shirt, and this year with candy cane suspenders).  I wasn't handing out candy canes to the kids (the few that other employees brought by that day were more than welcome to the candy jar that we keep in our room for ourselves 365).  Don't think anyone would say this portrayal was over the line.  So we have two data points between OK and NOT OK.  Is there a clear cut dividing line between the OK and NOT OK?  or is it variable, and dependent on the situation?

Chris Capstone
3 minutes ago, Santa Mikee said:

How far is too far?  I think, from reading the comments in this thread, that the consensus is that this fellow did step over the line.  However, I think that some cases are not.  For the last two years, I have "gone Santa" at my office on the day of the office holiday party (not a full Santa suit.. just the white beard and red hat, last year with a "Santa T-shirt, and this year with candy cane suspenders).  I wasn't handing out candy canes to the kids (the few that other employees brought by that day were more than welcome to the candy jar that we keep in our room for ourselves 365).  Don't think anyone would say this portrayal was over the line.  So we have two data points between OK and NOT OK.  Is there a clear cut dividing line between the OK and NOT OK?  or is it variable, and dependent on the situation?

The operative phrase in your post is "at my office." Not somebody else's place of business uninvited or not hired. 

Edited by Chris Capstone

Santa MikeE
12 minutes ago, Chris Capstone said:

The operative phrase in your post is "at my office." Not somebody else's place of business uninvited or not hired. 

Ok... next step.  After being in the office until about 2:30, I drove to the office party, which was to be held at a local hotel/convention center.  No hired Santa present, and I was not there in any official capacity.  I'm just a staff member.  But no complaints from anyone (Of course, there were others with Christmas themed outfits on too).  I did get asked by a few people if I could pose with them as "Santa Claus", but I wasn't exactly asking for it.

Final step... and definitely as far as I would take it.  After the office party, I had dinner with my wife and kids at a nice restaurant.  I continued to wear my "costume".  It consisted of a white dress shirt and black trousers, red and white striped (horizontal stripes) suspenders, Ben Nye beard white, and red Santa hat.  No comment or complaint from anyone at the restaurant (except the lady who was working as the maitre d' asked if she could take a picture of me with her in front of the restaurant's Christmas tree.  Was I over the line by wearing the stocking cap in the holiday season?  Should I have foregone the suspenders?  Must I dye my beard brown instead of white, or would leaving it gray have been sufficient?

My point is, there is a dividing line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior.  Where that dividing line lies is very much dependent on the location and expectations of the people at that location.

Steelwheels
10 hours ago, Felix Estridge said:

Being kind to children is not the only issue here.  He is dressed as a character inside a park that employs others to portray characters.  He violated the park's rules and was asked to leave.

So if he didn't have the red vest and the hat, he would have been okay?

Santa MikeE
Just now, Steelwheels said:

I would say that if he had lost the red hat and vest, and WAS NOT HANDING OUT CANDY, then the park people wouldn't have come down on him.  Just my opinion.

Chris Capstone
1 minute ago, Steelwheels said:

@Steelwheels this is getting silly. I suggest you...

frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg?w=500

• Like 1

Steelwheels
4 minutes ago, Santa Mikee said:

I would say that if he had lost the red hat and vest, and WAS NOT HANDING OUT CANDY, then the park people wouldn't have come down on him.  Just my opinion.

Okay! Just boiling this down. It was the handing out of candy to children, with parents permission, that approached him that wrong. Just clarifying.

Steelwheels
3 minutes ago, Chris Capstone said:

@Steelwheels this is getting silly. I suggest you...

frozen-let-it-go-meme.jpg?w=500

Thank you for the suggestion, Chris. You don't have to join in the discussion if you don't care to.

Chris Capstone
30 minutes ago, Santa Mikee said:

My point is, there is a dividing line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. 

Of course all of this is simply my opinion, but I would say going out to dinner with your family in Santa (clothing, hat, beard whitened) might be a bit much because you did in fact draw attention to yourself and pose for a picture. But what if they was a 4 year old little girl sitting at the table next to you in that restaurant who had just been to a party where she experienced a professional Santa with whim she had just visited and had a picture? What might she think? What might she ask her parents? How will her parents fell about you? What if they had paid the professional Santa she had just seen?

I guess what I'm saying is when we become part of this great profession of portraying Santa we must accept the fact that although it is fun for us, our own should not be the reason we are doing this. When we focus too much on our own fun we subordinate the effect our actions may have on others.

So to answer your question about a "line" I would say there is no definitive answer that will suffice in all circumstances. Maybe the best approach is to ask yourself WHY you are planning to do something before you do it and HOW will it affect others.

Edited by Chris Capstone

Chris Capstone
6 minutes ago, Steelwheels said:

Thank you for the suggestion, Chris. You don't have to join in the discussion if you don't care to.

Hahaha! Join the discussion??? Wow. Whatever.

Felix Estridge
46 minutes ago, Steelwheels said:

Okay! Just boiling this down. It was the handing out of candy to children, with parents permission, that approached him that wrong. Just clarifying.

You want boiling it down?  Here you go.

Keep Santa separate from yourself.  He is an act.  Sure, embody his principles at the very least.  None of which include going out in public in his persona and handing out candy, cards, or other goodies.  Santa, when he gives, does so in secret.  He does so in darkness.  He does it when you are sleeping and are not aware of his presence.  How hard is that to grasp?

Stories like this bring down the legend of Santa.  DO NO HARM TO THE LEGEND.  How is THAT for boiling it down?

• Like 5

Chris Capstone
6 minutes ago, Felix Estridge said:

You want boiling it down?  Here you go.

Keep Santa separate from yourself.  He is an act.  Sure, embody his principles at the very least.  None of which include going out in public in his persona and handing out candy, cards, or other goodies.  Santa, when he gives, does so in secret.  He does so in darkness.  He does it when you are sleeping and are not aware of his presence.  How hard is that to grasp?

Stories like this bring down the legend of Santa.  DO NO HARM TO THE LEGEND.  How is THAT for boiling it down?

Uh...yep, that pretty much boils it down. And I sense we are fast approaching the end of this thread. :rolleyes: