Welcome to ClausNet

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Michael Rielly

Featured ClausNet Member of the Month - March 2017

24 posts in this topic

Each month, our Featured Member section profiles a ClausNet member. Members are chosen totally at random by myself and the staff. Once selected as Featured Member of the Month, we interview the candidate and post the interview here. This is a great way to get to know your fellow ClausNet members!

We are happy to announce our ClausNet Featured Member of the month for March 2017 is Santa Bill Reiller!

Santa Bill Reiller
Featured ClausNet Member - March 2017

bill-photo.png

Santa Bill Reiller

Profile: Santa Bill Reiller
Facebook: Santa On The Gulf
ClausNet member since: 24 November 2014
Community Reputation (as of today): 233 – Outstanding!

March 2017

Our Featured Member of the Month for March 2017 joined our community 2014 and has been a key contributor ever since. Santa Bill Reiller is a retired Police Officer of 25 years and we thank him for his service. We caught up with Santa Bill a few days ago, and here is what he had to say...

ClausNet: How long have you been portraying Santa Claus and how did you get started?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I have been portraying Santa Claus since 2014. I retired from Law Enforcement with the DeKalb County Police Department in Georgia after 25 years in 2010 and moved to Foley, Alabama. I had been thinking of portraying Santa Claus for many years before I retired but never did anything about it. After being clean shaven for so many years I started to grow my beard and let my hair get long. In 2014 a local photographer needed a Santa for an event and I told him that I was interested. The event was for a local festival with pictures taken with Santa. The photographer said that they usually use a rented suit and I told him not to bother and I bought a suit online. I was hooked after that."

Santa Bill Reiller

ClausNet: What or who are your influences on your portrayal of Santa Claus?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I try to pull what I like from other Santas so I do not have any one influence on my portrayal."

ClausNet: What do you enjoy most about being Santa Claus?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I really enjoy seeing the children's eyes light up when they see Santa and they get excited. I also enjoy the hugs from the children."

Santa Bill Reiller

ClausNet: What is your most memorable visit?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I do not do any types of visits at this time. However, that is something that I am investigating right now."

ClausNet: Do you have a favorite gig?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I really love being a Mall Santa.’."

ClausNet: What is your dream gig?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I cannot really think of a dream gig besides perhaps being a Mall Santa at one of the larger malls with all the interactive activities for the children while they wait."

ClausNet: What keeps you busy when you are not being Santa?
Santa Bill Reiller: "My wife and I operate a small Arts and Crafts business. We make bottle lanterns, lit by a tea light, out of recycled wine and liquor bottles. We sell them at various festivals in the area."

ClausNet: What are your hobbies / interests?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Hunting, fishing, and Cowboy Action Shooting."

ClausNet: What is your favorite color?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Red."

ClausNet: What are your favorite foods?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Homemade fried chicken and really good snow crab legs."

ClausNet: Coke or Pepsi?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Diet Coke."

ClausNet: What is your favorite cookie?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Chocolate chip cookies."

ClausNet: What is your favorite movie?
Santa Bill Reiller: " Any John Wayne western. "

ClausNet: Do you have a favorite Christmas movie?
Santa Bill Reiller: "White Christmas."

ClausNet: What is your favorite Christmas song?
Santa Bill Reiller: "White Christmas by Bing Crosby."

ClausNet: What was the last book that you read?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Guns of the Timberland by Louis L'Amour."

ClausNet: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Working harder at being retired. "

ClausNet: What profession would you not like to attempt?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Anything that involves tall heights."

ClausNet: What were some of your favorite toys as a child?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Some of my favorite toys were cap guns and the Johnny West and Chief Cherokee figures."

ClausNet: What is your most memorable experience of Santa while growing up?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Nothing really stands out as the most memorable. We always went to one of the local department stores to visit with Santa."

ClausNet: What is the hardest question you’ve gotten as Santa Claus and what was your response?
Santa Bill Reiller: "One of the children asked about his deployed parent and if I could bring him home. I told him that I would pray that he would return safe as soon as possible "

ClausNet: How did you find ClausNet?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Internet Search."

ClausNet: And what do you like most about ClausNet?
Santa Bill Reiller: "What I like the most about ClausNet is the large amount of information you can gain from the site as well as the different friends gained. "

ClausNet: Is there a Santa or Mrs. Claus over the years that you admire or has inspired you? Can you tell us a little bit about him/her?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I really liked the various actors that have portrayed Santa Claus in different movies. I try to pull some inspiration from the movies themselves."

ClausNet: What advice can you give to a first time Santa or Mrs. Claus?
Santa Bill Reiller: "Learn as much as you can through ClausNet, the many different Santa schools, and the nearby Santa groups."

ClausNet: Anything else you would like to add?
Santa Bill Reiller: "I feel really honored and humbled to be chosen this month. It is fantastic to help bring the Christmas Spirit to the children. I always try to be a better Santa than I was during the last season or the season before that. Never give up on learning and asking questions."

Thank you Bill! Everyone, please join me in congratulating Santa Bill Reiller, our ClausNet Featured Member of the Month for March 2017!

March 2017

1 person likes this

:congrats: and welcome to the Member of the Month Club!!!

Congratulations Bill~!

:congrats:

Congratulations! Welcome to the MOtM Club!

Congratulations Santa Bill❗:chimes:

Bill

Thank you for sharing with us all your experiences as well as the inside look of your life.   

Congratulations on this honor! Well deserved!

1 person likes this

Congratulations

586b00eba1201_CongratulationswithHearts.png.a947a2a9c4929cf287a6217503a48f5d.png

Congratulations, Santa Bill, on a well deserved honor!

Congratulations Santa Bill!

:congrats:

Awesome story, Bill. It's always a good storyteller that can keep people enchanted. Gene Roddenberry was forever saying, "Tell a story about people, not about science and gadgetry." Hopefully, your story made a difference for us all. Congratulations!

1 person likes this

Congratulations and great interview!

:toot::congrats::toot:

Congratulations Bill!!

Congratulations 

:congrats:  Bill nice interview for a great guy

Congratulations, Bill. Had no idea of your background in DeKalb County. I grew up in Chamblee and Doraville.

Congratulations, Bill!

I would like to thank everyone for all of the congratulations.  It means more than you know.

Posted (edited)

Congratulations Bill...

...Ol' Santa here.    I'm delighted you've been selected as the March M O M.    While you certainly won't get rich from the experience, it is a good indicator you have made an impact on the folks at ClausNet.    So keep up the work and try to find a place where you have kids on your lap all day and have plenty of time to visit with each of them.    When you're a big mall santa, usually you're under the time restraints they place upon you and you're under their oblication to become just a photo prop forced to pose with several kids per minute.   

I have found it so much more enjoyable to talk with the children rather than just having those pictures made with them.    That's when you'll really find the enjoyment of being a Santa. 

Ol' Santa

Edited by Ol Santa
1 person likes this

Ol Santa!

Very happy to experience your posting.  It's been missed around here...at least by me. 😎

Luckily the Mall I was at was kinda slow most times but even when we were busy I tried to take some time to chat with the children. It is all about them.

well said Bill, Congratulations

About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2017 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.