Welcome to ClausNet

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Second Annual Donation Drive

It is that time of year again! It is time once again for the Second Annual Donation Drive for ClausNet. Learn more...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elf Without Jingles

Capital Voices; 'If you live on Taffy Lane, you have to have the Christmas spirit'

1 post in this topic

Capital Voices: 'If you live on Taffy Lane, you have to have the Christmas spirit'

by Bruce Deachman, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Citizen | Posted: 03-03-2017

EXCERPT:

OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA --- As Canada celebrates its Sesquicentennial, the Citizen's Bruce Deachman has been searching for Ottawans ---150 of them --- to hear their stories of life and death, hope and love, obsession and fear. Between now and Canada Day, we'll share one person's story every day.....

"I'm 11 years old, and we moved here when I was nine. This is my third Christmas here. Before we moved here, we lived on St. Moritz Court, which is just down the street a bit.

"I was about one or two when I figured out that Taffy Lane was a place. And ever since, whenever we were free, we'd drive down it. When I first saw it, I used to think, 'Wow!' because I hadn't seen so many lights. It was really cool. But now that I live here, I can just walk out the door and just see Taffy Lane. 

"When my parents told me we were gonna move to Taffy Lane, I was so excited, because then I could just see Taffy Lane any time I wanted to.

"I like living on Taffy Lane because there's a whole new bunch of people I've seen and met, and a bunch of lights. And I've met a whole bunch of people who haven' lived on Taffy Lane, because my dad and I dress up --- he plays Santa Claus, and I'm his Elf, and we hand out candy canes, and we see new people we haven't even met before. Last year, somebody visited us from Brazil. They didn't really know what Christmas was around here, so they were like, 'Wow!' like I was when I first saw Taffy Lane.  

"We have this little competition with our neighbors to see who can have the most lights, and unfortunately she won this year, but we're close, and it's so exciting having them live right next door to us. But one of my biggest joys here is living next to Kailee and Darby. We call them the Griswolds, and Kailee likes to dress up just for me and the other children, and that makes me so happy.

"Mom and Dad sometimes get annoyed about all the traffic, but I don't really care about that, because I'm not the one who's doing all the driving. And it never gets boring because there are always new lights and new things coming up. If you live on Taffy Lane, you have to have the Christmas spirit, otherwise, what's the point of living here?"

--- Emily Levert, Taffy Lane, Orleans, December 6th, 2016.

SOURCE:  

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0