Sign in to follow this  
Elf Without Jingles

Ed Asner playing St. Nick again in 'The Santa Files'

Elf Without Jingles

by Sharon Knolle, Moviefone.com | Posted: 04-07-2017

EXCERPT:

LOS ANGELES --- Santa! Buddy the Elf is gonna be so excited that Ed Asner is gonna play Santa Claus again!

The veteran actor will once again portray the Jolly Old Elf in the upcoming family film, "The Santa Files," in which a group of children go in search of the red-suited icon, reports Deadline. Principal photography begins this month in Providence, Rhode Island.

Asner most memorably played Santa (the REAL Santa, not one of those department store phonies!) in the 2003 comedy "Elf." He reprised the role for its hour-long animated sequel, "Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas."

He also played Papa Noel in a 2013 TV-movie, "Christmas on the Bayou." And will you look at all the Christmas-themed credits on Ed's resume: "The Man Who Saved Christmas," "National Lampoon' Christmas Vacation 2," "Home Alone: The Holiday Heist," "Christmas is Here Again," "The Christmas Card," "A Christmas Carol," "O Christmas Tree," Snowden's Christmas," "Olive, the Other Reindeer," "The Story of Santa Claus," "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus" and "The Christmas Star." (Whew!)

SOURCE:   

• Like 5

Michael Rielly

Filming here in Rhode Island!

• Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy

Ed Asner could possibly be a good candidate for the Santa Claus Hall of Fame,  and Mike can deliver him the good news right on set.

• Like 1

Schwindy
3 hours ago, Elf Without Jingles said:

And Thanks to our news reporter WHO'S ON VACATIONS NONE THE LESS!!

But when breaking news happens did ANY OF US think he wouldn't report it to us!?!

NOT FOR A MINUTE! NEVER did I think he'd be gone too long! :sc_hands:  :thumbup:  :yahoo:

Thanks Richard! If you wouldn't have wrote this, I would have missed it for sure!

• Like 2

Santa Bill Reiller

Great news

• Like 1

Santa Everett
7 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Ed Asner could possibly be a good candidate for the Santa Claus Hall of Fame,  and Mike can deliver him the good news right on set.

He is already a member, added last year in Branson at Discover Santa

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles

Now really --- did you honestly think I wouldn't not stick around? Besides, there was just too much happening before I could so much as take a break. In fact, I got even more for ya......

• Like 2

Florida Kris Kringle

Too bad he didn't make it to Branson to accept in person, and too bad it doesn't mention that in the article. You would think being in the Santa Claus Hall of Fame would be worth a mention when you're talking about all his Santa credits.

• Like 4

Santa Everett
3 hours ago, Florida Kris Kringle said:

Too bad he didn't make it to Branson to accept in person, and too bad it doesn't mention that in the article. You would think being in the Santa Claus Hall of Fame would be worth a mention when you're talking about all his Santa credits.

Being assigned to chauffeur Mr. Asner from the airport (115 miles away) to Branson I was disappointed when he didn't show.

Michael Rielly

I got the call! I will be on location tomorrow and Wednesday. Ed Asner is supposed to be on the set.

• Like 4

Santa Marty
4 minutes ago, Michael Rielly said:

I got the call! I will be on location tomorrow and Wednesday. Ed Asner is supposed to be on the set.

Whoop whoop!!

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

So cool!

• Like 1

Schwindy
7 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

Lucky YOU!

6 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

So cool!

Ditto!

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles
16 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

Beautiful! I only wish there were more Clausian entertainment programming on television that could allow us to cover Santa gigs and events from everywhere! 

• Like 2

Elf Without Jingles

I just Googled "The Santa Files" ----  and I just had a peek at the plot! Check it out:

"The story of a bunch of outcast kids, repeatedly bullied for believing in Santa. Despite ridicule from their peers, the kids diligently conduct interviews, gather on-the-spot evidence, etc. .... essentially to prove that Santa is for real."

Didn't I see this plot two years ago? Nickelodeon did a movie that told this same story --- only, that version was called "Santa Hunters."

• Like 2

Michael Rielly

Here are a couple of pictures from the set yesterday.

I am close up in several of the scenes. I am sure most will be cut, but it was still fun.

Ed Asner was moving pretty slow. He had a stunt double for many of the scenes we filmed. The scenes we filmed will involve a lot of special effects.

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

• Like 1

Elf Without Jingles

Well! All I can say is --- Wow!

• Like 1

Santa TJS

A strap beard with an attached mustache, really for a movie!

Michael Rielly
1 minute ago, Santa TJS said:

A strap beard with an attached mustache, really for a movie!

They told us there will be a lot of CG in this movie. I am hoping that the beard will be "enhanced" somehow in post production. The stunt double looked very different than Mr. Asner.

Elf Without Jingles

I, too, had a feeling that there was gonna be plenty of digital effects in post-production. After you watch(ed) all of Lucasfilm's making-of documentaries, especially Robert Guennette's SPFX: The Empire Strikes Back, you were eager to find out what they were gonna do if Industrial Light and Magic were gonna make a new Christmas movie in that way.

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Ol' Ed is looking pretty tired.  Kind of like me after a long season. :sc_sleep:

• Like 2

Santa TJS

Any update on day two of the filming?

Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 51 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
      • 7 replies
    • Our featured member this month joined the ClausNet Community back in 2015. Since then he has been an active contributor. Santa Tom, AKA Schwindy, has been portraying Santa Claus since 1998.
      • 42 replies
    • We've officially kicked off our annual Ornament and Christmas Card Exchange!

Each year many of the members here participate in these annual events. Our Christmas Card Mailing and Christmas Ornament Exchange events have become a much anticipated ClausNet tradition! Feel free to sign up for one or both!
      • 23 replies
    • Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.

What got my goat was his choice of accompanied text, “Finally got a little recognition…”.  Let me say that his post was all in jest, I am certain.  This man is one of the kindest, gentlest, giving souls you will come across.  I love him as a brother.  Yet his unintended incursion on the spirit of the Claus legend got me more than a little flustered. And I know it would be last thing he would want anyone to get from this posting.

If you are in this to seek recognition, get out.  Plain and simple.  It’s the last thing that the real Santa Claus would have wanted.  It’s the antithesis of St. Nicholas, for whom Santa is mostly based.
        • Love
      • 9 replies
    • Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
      • 0 replies
    • How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 84 replies
    • Hello everyone and welcome back!

We have upgraded the site with a host of new features and enhancements. It may be strange at first, but don't fret! Feel free to click on whatever you find. You may stumble across a new feature or two.

I am still fiddling around with some settings, so you may come across some bits I haven't turned on yet. But feel free to post your questions and issuers here!

Enjoy!
      • 46 replies
    • In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 24 replies
    • We are happy to announce our ClausNet Featured Member of the month for August 2017 is Santa Mike IN!
      • 24 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2017 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.