Sign in to follow this  
Elf Without Jingles

2017 NFL schedule: Football fans get a special Christmas present on Christmas Day Monday

Elf Without Jingles

Before we begin, this brief question: when was the last time, most recently, that Santa Claus appeared on Monday Night Football? Just a thought.

2017 NFL schedule: Football fans get a special Christmas present on Christmas Day Monday

The NFL has big plans for December 25th on their 2017 schedule 

by John Breech, CBSSports.com | Posted: April 21st, 2017

EXCERPT:

NEW YORK ---- If you like Monday night doubleheaders, you're gonna love what the NFL has planned for Christmas this season.

With the holiday falling on a Monday this year, the league has decided to give every NFL fan a free present by adding an extra Monday night game. That's right, there's gonna be TWO games played on Christmas Day, Monday, December 25th.

49 years after Santa Claus got booed out of a Philadelphia Eagles game, Eagles fans will have the chance to make amends and be restored to St. Nick's nice list, when the Eagles meet the Raiders in a game set to kick off at 8:30 PM Eastern on ESPN.

Speaking of booing: the Raiders Nation might need to boo League Headquarters for this game, given that their team will need to fly out cross-country to make it back home once this game is over, and then they'll have to turn right back around and play another road game against the Chargers in Week 17.

In the other big Christmas Day game, the Texans take on the Steelers in a Week 16 showdown set for 4:30 PM Eastern on NBC Sports. That game will also be televised by NFL Network, and streamed live on Amazon Sports.

This is the second season in a row that the NFL has decided to hold two regular-season games on Christmas Day. The league had also held a Christmas Day doubleheader in 2016; prior to that, there hadn't been a Christmas doubleheader in the NFL since 2006.

While Christmas Day games aren't all that common, at least four of the three teams playing this December 35th have had some kind of holiday experience: the Raiders, Eagles and Steelers will all be playing only their second major Christmas game in their respective franchises' histories. The Eagles crushed the Cowboys in 2006, while the Raiders lost to the Chiefs in 2004.

SOURCE:  

Edited by Elf Without Jingles
  • Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Although I am a Steelers fan and a sports fan - is it really necessary to play a football game on Christmas Day?

For the past few years, many had thought it was a "shame" that stores were open on Thanksgiving.  Sales clerks and workers had to leave (or miss) Thanksgiving dinner with their families in order to keep their jobs.

Now the same thing is happening in professional sports. Again, low paid workers connected to the stadium and nearby businesses will have to miss part of their Christmas with loved ones to keep their jobs.

The world is changing at a fast pace.  I can even remember a time when stores and businesses were closed on Sunday.

• Like 1

Schwindy
8 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

The world is changing at a fast pace.  I can even remember a time when stores and businesses were closed on Sunday.

Though I will probably check in on the score, (Eagles) I won't watch much of the game at all if ANY. I might record it and then watch it on Tuesday when the wife is at work.

Johnny, The route to all evil is the LOVE OF MONEY! The NFL see CASH ON THE TABLE, so they want to CASH IN. It's OK when the players want to disrespect the National Anthem or "make a Statement" during the Anthem, but DON'T celebrate a TD pass and catch, or it's a fine, so says the NFL. Like many things in our world, up is look down and down looks a little up. I may have crossed a line with this opinion but the powers to be are looking for cash and as long as we keep feeding the machine, the machine will eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and eat .............. ...............

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

What was that movie where they quoted: "The NFL now owns a day of the week that formerly belonged to the church"?

• Like 1

Schwindy
2 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

What was that movie where they quoted: "The NFL now owns a day of the week that formerly belonged to the church"?

Concussion 

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy
14 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Concussion 

Oh yeah, that's right! And it was filmed in Pittsburgh...:blush:

• Like 1

SCSanta

I guess NFL football on Christmas Day is exciting to some folks...I'm just not one of them.

• Like 2

Schwindy
4 hours ago, SCSanta said:

I guess NFL football on Christmas Day is exciting to some folks...I'm just not one of them.

Patrick:

I believe you are 100% correct. Some folks have lost their way, the things that are so much more important in their lives are things of this life, yet none of it can or will come with us. I heard a Catholic motivational speaker talk last week and it was great. The one thing I hear him say was, "IN the end, God will give you what you wanted the most, is it him? If it's not him, you'll get that in the end, nothing". That was very powerful for me. Something to keep me going or trying to stay on the narrow and straight. But when I look back that line isn't so straight. BUT football won't take center stage for me on Christmas Day nor Christmas Night! I'll be busy with things much greater!    

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Even Santa takes a day off on Christmas Day.

• Like 1

Schwindy
18 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Oh yeah, that's right! And it was filmed in Pittsburgh...:blush:

:P So what....... BIG DEAL ...... PITTSBURGH WHO .......

:sc_rofl:

Just kidding buddy!

I know where Pittsburgh is, .... the wrong side of the state! LOL! LOL!

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

We like Pittsburgh right where it is - as far from Philly as possible! :santa_grin:

Right back at 'ya!