Holly Claus

Reindeer Food (3 recipes), to keeping them happy & flying!

Holly Claus

Hello to Mrs. Claus' Everywhere,

I found a website that has great recipes for making Reindeer Food. These recipes are easy, and fun to teach children to do. 

Without further ado, here they are: 

Check out these simple recipes below to make your very own magic reindeer food. 

Magic Reindeer food poem:

Sprinkle on your lawn Christmas Eve night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
Santa’s reindeer fly and roam
This will help them find your home.

Magic Reindeer Food Recipe 1

ingredients: 1 cup cereal flakes, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cups nuts, 4 tablespoons green sugar, 4 tablespoons red sugar

(add food coloring to make colored sugar, it’s cheaper than buying the different colors)

Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a bowl

Step 2: Store in a zip-lock bag

Step 3: Spread on your lawn Christmas Eve or place in a cup next to Santa’s cookies. Write a note for Santa so he knows it’s for his reindeer

***************************************************************************************************************************

Magic Reindeer Food Recipe 2

Ingredients: 1 cup rolled oats or dried oatmeal,2 teaspoons cinnamon, 4 tablespoons red sugar, 4 tablespoons green sugar

Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Step 2: Store in a zip-loc bag

Step 3: Spread on your lawn Christmas Eve or place in a cup next to Santa’s cookies. Write a note for Santa so he knows it’s for his reindeer.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Magic Reindeer Food Recipe 3

Ingredients:  1 cup bran cereal, 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup shredded coconut

Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a bowl

Step 2:  Store in a zip-lock bag

Step 3: Spread on your lawn Christmas Eve or place in a cup next to Santa’s cookies.  Write a note for Santa so he knows it’s for his reindeer.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Here is a recipe below, that uses some of the above ingredients, to make "reindeer" treats to keep in the fridge, for the 2-legged Reindeer, lol.

Reindeer Snacks

Ingredients: 2 cups of Magic Reindeer Food Recipe 3, 1/2 cup peanut butter, small pretzel shape pretzels, M&M’s or small circular candy

Step 1: Pour 2 cups of the magic reindeer food recipe 3 in a bowl.

Step 2: Add in 1/2 cup of peanut butter.  Mix well.

Step 3: Place mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  The mixture will harden a little bit.

Step 4: Take a spoonful of the mixture and roll it into a ball.  This will be the reindeer’s head.

Step 5: Use the M&M’s to make the eyes and nose.  You can use red M&M’s to make Rudolph.

Step 6: Place 1 pretzel on each side of the reindeer’s head to make the antlers.  

Step 7: Keep your reindeer snacks in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them.

******************************************************************************************

Here is the source website for all the recipes I included above. 

http://www.kidsplayandcreate.com/how-to-make-magic-reindeer-food-for-santas-reindeer/

Enjoy!!!

Holly Claus (Rev Kim).

Edited by Holly Claus
I forgot the "2-legged" reindeer treats.
  • Like 5

Michael Rielly

Sounds a lot yummier than lichen...

Reindeer_Moss_(3145264334).jpg

• Like 1

Santa  Kevin

Holly Says:  "When was the last time you had any Lichen ??"

Edited by Kris Kringle Kevin
Typo
  • Like 1

Holly Claus

Last year, when the children would ask myself, or Kev about where the Reindeer were, I would answer that they were at the North Pole, filling up on Sugar Plums, to give them energy for their nights' ride.  That would usually satisfy them for a moment or two (lol). Kris Kringle Kevin would tell them, that the Reindeer only go out on Christmas Eve, so Santa was relying on "wheeled transportation" until then.  

SantaDon

That lichen picture reminded me of my old model railroading days.  Boy, did I use that stuff for scenery!

I've seen a lot of kids and parents use reindeer food.  I think it's pretty cute.  Many children make sure I know their plans for having a snack for the reindeer on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1

Michael Rielly

I usually explain to kids that the treats they leave are just that, treats. And that reindeer eat lichen -- specifically "reindeer lichen". Here in the Northeast lichen grows on tree branches. It makes for some great story telling!

Santa Mike 19536

Side Story ...

Mrs Claus is asked "What is Santa's favorite cookie?"

Chocolate Chip, but if a Sugar Cookie -- please use Green Sprinkles, that way they brush away!

Red Sprinkles blend into the Suit and the Reindeer keep nudging his Suit and Pant Legs!!

That Answer makes Kids and Parents chuckle!

:129:

• Similar Content

• Mervyn The Hired Hand
      By Mervyn The Hired Hand
      My mother’s Dad lived on a small dairy farm in the hilly country of southern upstate New York, and there was an old one-room schoolhouse on the farm where kids of all ages from nearby farm families were taught by my Grandma. Over the years, the schoolhouse fell into disrepair, and the local school board met repeatedly to try and figure out how to fix it.

As usual, the principal issue was money. Nobody wanted to spend any more than they had to, so when one of them proposed to build a new schoolhouse, that idea came in the front door and went out the window, as Grandma used to say. This happened repeatedly, until a vote was taken by the school board turning down the proposal to build a new schoolhouse.

Eventually, the school board had a showdown. Meeting in the schoolhouse on Christmas day, discussion among school board members was opened by one of them complaining that the roof leaked, saying it needed repairs. Arguing if they couldn’t have a new schoolhouse, at least they should keep the kids dry, Granddad made a motion to repair the roof. After lengthy discussion of the least expensive way to do this, a vote was taken and they agreed to shingle the roof.

Spying a glimmer of opportunity, Granddad noted many of the windows were cracked or broken, causing heat loss in winter and making it difficult to keep the kids warm. A motion was made to repair or replace all the cracked or broken windows. After lengthy discussion, a vote was taken and they agreed to repair the windows.

This lead to discussion of the inadequacy of the old wood stove used to heat the one-room schoolhouse. Noting the hinges on the door to the stove were broken, Granddad moved to replace the old wood stove with a new coal burning stove. After some discussion, a vote approved this proposal.

Looking down at the old, worn wooden floor of the schoolhouse, one board member noted the cracks between the boards were getting large enough to let bugs and mice in, and a lot of heat out in winter. A motion was made to replace the floor of the schoolhouse, and a majority voted in favor of it.

Next the wooden board and batten walls came under scrutiny, because the old newspapers that had been pasted across the gaps between the boards were peeling off as the wood shrank and the gaps got wider, allowing cold winter air in. A motion was made to insulate the walls and cover the insulation with drywall on the inside. After lengthy discussion, a vote of the school board approved this motion.

The entryway to the schoolhouse was through a small mudroom with an old, cracked wooden door hanging from one hinge so it was hard for kids to open and close securely. With kids coming and going, the door was often partly open, letting heat out and cold air in. Granddad moved the entryway be enlarged and a coat room added with a new double door, and the motion was passed.

The hour was getting late when Granddad reviewed what the schoolboard had done during the meeting, totaled up the estimated costs, and suggested all the repairs might cost more than building a new schoolhouse. Then he made a motion to build a new schoolhouse, saying it would be less expensive to build a new one than to repair the old one. The motion was passed unanimously. Eventually, a new schoolhouse was built. My grandparents and most of their kids are long deceased, but the little one-room Christmas schoolhouse where my Grandma taught my Granddad to read still stands.

• DeputyDogRick
      By DeputyDogRick
      Name: Little Wings
      Category: Events and Get Togethers
      Date Added: 2018-12-29
      Submitter: DeputyDogRick

The last two years I have appeared with the Adaptive Ballet in Milford, Ct and it has become one of the most endearing events of the Season.  I hope all of your seasons were Merry and Bright

Little Wings
    • DeputyDogRick
      By DeputyDogRick
      The last two years I have appeared with the Adaptive Ballet in Milford, Ct and it has become one of the most endearing events of the Season.  I hope all of your seasons were Merry and Bright
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.