Sign in to follow this  
Michael Rielly

Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Santa Gordon
3 hours ago, SantaJoe said:

Not if he is hourly? 

I am not aware of any Mall contract that is based upon hourly rate. If that was so then they would have to pay over time for the last 2 weeks when you have an extra 40 hours piled on due to the rush and getting out late (after the set closed but people were still in line) and the earlier start times the malls starts after black Friday. Mall contracts are written with a lump sum negotiated for the run of the contract. Noerr did hire employees and sent out W-2s each year. That stopped when Noerr was bought and merged with Cherry Hill. In fact last year Noerr had to recall all their contracts to make their performers "Independent Contractors" and issued 1099s instead.

All of these contracts have an "escape clause" that allows you to get out of the contract if you give notice. Usually 2 weeks written.

The Bass Pro Shop contracts are generally based upon an hourly rate of $25 an hour and you split the total hours for the schedule. The stores have 350 hours to split between 2 performers making it 175 hours @ $25  an hour which makes the contract worth $4375 over the 44 day run. You don't work the hours of your shift, you do not get paid.

A mall contract will ding you anywhere from $250 to $375 a day depending upon the value of the contract if you miss a day without a medical reason or had that day negotiated off with out penalty. So if you have certain days scheduled off for reasons the Mall photo company has agreed to, if your contract is for $10,000 and you miss the days being off due to medical reasons or scheduled, you are still going to collect that $10,000 at the end of your contract.

Case in point, Dave Davies, a Student of my class and a fine Santa performer, contracted pneumonia the last 10 days of his contract. The set crew knew he was sick as did his managers and district manager.  They did not care.  4 days before Christmas Eve Dave got up for his first break and collapsed right there on the set, ambulance called and Santa was loaded up on a gurney in front of the children. Dave was taken to the ER and admitted to the hospital for treatment for the next 5 days. Since he was in the hospital that qualified as the medical excuse and he was paid for the full amount under contract.

Dave called me that first week of January to ask me if he had to give back any of that money because he missed the last 4 days. I explained that he got to keep it all as he did nothing wrong under the contract.

Contract negotiations and working under a contract is part of the class curriculum at Satbobs.com.

• Like 1

Santa Gordon
On 7/20/2017 at 6:50 AM, Felix Estridge said:

The terms they could not come to was the fact that the new service seriously undercut the existing service's contract and now will not pay what the Santas were used to receiving.

The new terms were the way the Bass Pro Shops Corporate decided to go with. Not the agents they retained to hire Santas to do the jobs. This happened before in 08 when they hired the agencies to fill the chairs and had most of their stores go through the preferred placement agencies. That was what happened exactly as you wsee those affected by the decision by corporate not to allow store direct hire.Only difference is, those direct hires can't really blame the agencies like the 08 first wave did. Was not the fault of the agencies in 08 and it is not the fault now. Then as now it is absolutely the choice of how Corporate wishes to conduct their business.

I have said it before many times, high volume venues are "Low Hanging Fruit" and truly just about anyone can be stuffed into a suit and sat in the chair. We saw that the last 2 weeks of last season and will likely see it again this season. All they care about is first and foremost having a Santa in that chair. During the last 2 week last season set managers were approaching bearded mall walkers and offering them $50 an hour to wear the suit and sit in the chair.

• Like 1

Santa Marty
1 hour ago, Santa Gordon said:

I have said it before many times, high volume venues are "Low Hanging Fruit" and truly just about anyone can be stuffed into a suit and sat in the chair. We saw that the last 2 weeks of last season and will likely see it again this season. All they care about is first and foremost having a Santa in that chair. During the last 2 week last season set managers were approaching bearded mall walkers and offering them $50 an hour to wear the suit and sit in the chair.

$50 an hour may seem like a lot, but freelancing independent Santas of any decent quality will out earn that three fold or more.  Over the course of a season, some do 3 times the typical Mall Santas revenue.  Doing it while having days off, and working 1/2 the number of hours.  Its NOT easy to be a Mall Santa, it is NOT for the faint of heart, it is grueling, day in day out, grinding their way through the season.  But, if working less for more is to happen, you have to work at it.  You have to build your reputation, and exceed expectations in your presentation, and performances.  You will have to self promote like crazy, be disciplined enough not to run around like crazy just to get a gig, where your travel time eats too deeply into your revenue producing time.

For guys who put their entire season into one basket year after year, the elements I mentioned above, have a difficult time shifting gears when and if their Basket Breaks.

Those who are old enough and were clued in somewhat 4-5 decades ago or earlier, have witnessed a time before Malls, when each major department store had their "own" Santa.  With the onset of Malls, this changed to a single Santa for the entire Mall, hired by the mall.  Things were great for good Mall Santas for awhile, before the photo companies came onto the scene, once that happened Santa salaries decreased.  Instead of having all the headaches Malls were glad to have the photo companies come along.  Malls could then look at a Santa Set as "income" rather than the expense, again without the headaches.  The pressure was on the photo companies to sell enough photos to produce the revenue necessary to continue to obtain the necessary set crew, including Santas, and pay the malls, plus make money for the photo company.  The pie, gets a little bigger, but there are more people taking a slice which unfortunately makes the slices a little smaller.

Internet sales, has put a lot of pressure on brick and mortar stores.  Stores, Malls, have had to adjust, to cut costs to keep profits high enough make a return on investment & money for their investors.  Thats not hard to figure out, we all do it.  We look for ways to spend less, get the best deal we can so we can have it a little better in the end for ourselves, our families. 

So, it is not the photo companies fault really, they came along and offered something of value to the retail mall management and venues like Bass Pro Shops.  The Malls and others, have realized the value and a spin off of the Christmas industry was created, and yet another cog in the wheel.

Change isn't new, its been happening all along.

One thing that I feel IS the photo companies fault is their thinking only a RBS are what the people want, and pushing that through the market place.  Making a somewhat contrived demand for Naturally Bearded Santas.  This though process has begun a real rift between Traditionally Bearded Santas AND guys who grow their own.  Too bad really, 4 or 5 decades ago there were very few naturally beaded Santas, almost unheard of, even the Santa in movies was depicted as a Traditionally Bearded Santa.  As a whole, this is the fall out, the fractionalization of our brotherhood of Brothers in Red.  Really unfortunate... and sad.

To add to the issues involved with photo companies, Bass Pro Shops, Malls, placement agencies, we as a community have a dishonest company in our midst.  I personally have not had any dealings with this individual or her company, therefore I have suffered no loss, but it fries my backside when it happens, keeps happening, and looks as to continue to happen.

I guess I cling to the thought that everything in the World of Santa, works just like I imagine the North Pole would work.  

Every industry, has its crooks, scroungers, and low lifes.... What do I (we) expect?  To be different than all other industries?  Sigh~~* If only it could be the way we wish.

BUT, a couple of things we can do is to encourage those who have been burned, to fight back.  We can do what we can to NOT make it easy for a scammer to prey on our community.  We do this unfortunately, by airing out out our dirty laundry and we educate those uninformed Santas to be informed and to be aware out there.

All Is Not Right in the World of Santa Claus, very sad, yet very true.

• Like 5

Santa Warren

As far as us Santa's demanding better pay, or being payed what we feel we are worth; well that is great.  The problem arises when the client does not see your value.  To demand more value, you need to show more worth.  With so many Santas in the market place and the downfall of retail shopping, our basic business model is failing.

For me home visits, and special events have been my main stay.  I, as well as many here, look for ways to improve my performance everyday.  Yes it really is a performance,  no different then performing in a play, concert etc. 

Edited by Santa Warren
  • Like 4

Nick Hudson
2 minutes ago, Santa Warren said:

, As far as us Santa's demanding better pay, or being payed what we feel we are worth; well that is great.  The problem arises when the client does not see your value.  To demand more value, you need to show morenworth.  With so many Santas in the market place and the downfall of retail shopping, our basic business model is failing.

For me home visits, and special events have been my main stay.  I, as well as many here, look for ways to improve my performance everyday.  Yes it really is a performance,  no different then performing in a play, concert etc. 

I agree a 100%! The problem is that most forget it is a performance, just because you you grow a beard and have a suit doesn't make you worth anything in anyones eyes. Grow a great beard and have a custom suit and then your a stick in the mud why would they want you pay you? I'm not trying to brag but when Im done with events I have had several people come to me and express how glad that they found a Santa that is not the following (smelly, grumpy, falling asleep, just sits there, expects to be treated like a king, a clock watcher or just no good) it does just floor me, but it usually books me for the future before I leave. 

This isn't about you, it's about the children and if thats anywhere below the number one thing on your list get out! 

• Like 4

Steve Fletcher
10 minutes ago, Nick Hudson said:

This isn't about you, it's about the children and if thats anywhere below the number one thing on your list get out! 

Nick,

I can not, am not, will not speak for anyone else, but this line pretty much sums it up for me.

Steve

• Like 3

Holly Claus
On 7/20/2017 at 8:51 AM, Michael Rielly said:

Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

July 19, 2017
WTVR
by   Caroline Coleburn  

EXCERPT:

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.

“Unfortunately this year, the corporate office made the decision to make all stores use a Santa service located in Chicago,” Davis explained in a Facebook post. “The store wanted me to return as their Santa this year and had me contact the owner of the [Santa] service. I have spoken with the owner of the service on several occasions and we were unable to come to an acceptable agreement on contract terms.”

20187074_10212749642711886_1647578779_o.

Davis said he was disappointed, but held no ill will toward the people at Bass Pro.

“I can only say good things about the store, the management, and the employees,” he said. “Most of all to the great and loyal customers that returned year after year to visit with me. They have been great to me for all of these years.”

Cassandra Petrosky is one of Davis’ loyal fans.

Santa with the Petrosky boys.

Her children, who have autism, considered Davis both Santa and a friend.

“He was so nice to them, took his time with them and listened to them, even though sometimes it’s hard to understand them when they talk due to speech delay,” she said. “Every year they saw him, they would run up to him with excitement and give him hugs.”

She said her boys never rushed to other “mall Santas.” She said Davis got her children to open up and talk about things that were not even Christmas related.

“To them, he is the real Santa,” Petrosky said.

Davis said his relationship with Bass Pro began in 2008 with a phone call.

Someone from the store called Davis and asked if he wanted to be the store’s Santa that year.

“I said I would be happy to come in and discuss it,” Davis recalled. “I came in on the appointed day, and trying to be stealthy, stood behind a boat to observe their operation. While standing there the assistant manager approached me and asked if I would be their Santa. Stressing that I was not there to step on anyone’s toes, he said that he had to have the store’s best interest as his motivation. I said yes and that was the beginning of a nine-year relationship.”

SOURCE: http://wtvr.com/2017/07/19/bass-pro-ashland-santa/

So sorry to hear you won't be Bass Pro's Santa this year. That will be their loss! It is said, "When One Door Closes, another Window Opens." 

• Like 1

Felix Estridge
8 hours ago, Santa Gordon said:

The new terms were the way the Bass Pro Shops Corporate decided to go with. Not the agents they retained to hire Santas to do the jobs. This happened before in 08 when they hired the agencies to fill the chairs and had most of their stores go through the preferred placement agencies. That was what happened exactly as you wsee those affected by the decision by corporate not to allow store direct hire.Only difference is, those direct hires can't really blame the agencies like the 08 first wave did. Was not the fault of the agencies in 08 and it is not the fault now. Then as now it is absolutely the choice of how Corporate wishes to conduct their business.

Of course it was BPS' decision.  But what would you expect when you get someone who comes in and proposes to cut the compensation rate so low except for BPS to go that route?  She is hurting the ENTIRE industry, not just those who take the lower paying jobs.

• Like 2

Santa Gordon
1 hour ago, Felix Estridge said:

Of course it was BPS' decision.  But what would you expect when you get someone who comes in and proposes to cut the compensation rate so low except for BPS to go that route?  She is hurting the ENTIRE industry, not just those who take the lower paying jobs.

You have this backwards Felix. BPS approached all of the three active agents with this contract to represent them. Not the other way around.  No Agent enters into this with BPS Corporate unless they are approached first. You can try but BPS has its own procedures they follow.

• Like 2

Santa Gordon
5 hours ago, Santa Warren said:

As far as us Santa's demanding better pay, or being payed what we feel we are worth; well that is great.  The problem arises when the client does not see your value.  To demand more value, you need to show more worth.  With so many Santas in the market place and the downfall of retail shopping, our basic business model is failing.

I agree to what you have said.

What adds "Value" to your presentation in the eyes of the employer (Mall, Mall photo company any agency out there) is talents and skills you have developed and have in your portfolio. Being fluent in a foreign language is a big plus! Sign language is another skill valued today. Knowing Improv, having Story telling skills, being able to move and dance, having some skills in close up magic, having musical talents (Singing, song leading, playing instruments) all are of value in the eyes of the person hiring.

• Like 2

Felix Estridge
1 hour ago, Santa Gordon said:

You have this backwards Felix. BPS approached all of the three active agents with this contract to represent them. Not the other way around.  No Agent enters into this with BPS Corporate unless they are approached first. You can try but BPS has its own procedures they follow.

So you are saying that BPS forced the compensation down?  The way this normally works is that the suppliers submit a bid and the lowest one usually gets it.  If that IS what happened, then she is still hurting all of us with these compensation amounts.

• Like 2

Santa Marty

Felix

I am only speculating here, but IF a company is looking at the possibility of making some changes, they usually create a Request for Proposals and send that request out to all the vendors they are aware of.  The results of those proposals helps in the decision process of deciding what if anything should be done.

However, purely speculation how this came about.  

If I follow what I "think" is your thoughts, are you thinking someone just happened along approach BPS and said, "I can do that for less than you are spending now!"  Which I suppose, could be the case but I don't know how you would be able to find out precisely what happened unless you know someone who knows someone who knows something.

This topic is looking at the same thing, the change, and I am not sure anyone outside of BPS knows really what happened.  The purchase of Cabela's probably figures into the mix at some level as well, cost cutting, or no longer any competition.

In this tread, we are also commenting on the dishonesty of one person and her company, who would have been or was considered a Vendor for Santa Placements.  All contributing to the current situation where some Santas who use to enjoy a direct negotiation (no middle man) with BPS no longer have that option.  

So are we in a "Chicken or the Egg" (with a bit of salt and bad feelings) added into the same issue which is/are creating "Changes" for some?

But you are correct the actions of some have created an affect on all of us.

• Like 1

Santa Castor

The power of ClausNet!  I was contacted by Cindy about ten days ago via Facebook Messenger.  Being a fairly long time member on ClausNet, I recognized the name and knew of her reputation.  Perhaps I should have called her out, but I doubt it would have changed her tactics.  Cons are cons, grifting is just a skill to acquire and hone in their beliefs.  Instead I was cordial, and let her believe she had a 'fish Claus' on the line.  Somehow I found it appropriate and humorous.  I recommend every Santa I meet through every venue to join ClausNet, not only will it make them a better Santa, but it will help them avoid problems and pitfalls.  I suppose those that believe they already know everything they need to know sometimes pay tuition at the School of Hard Knocks

• Like 6

Nick Hudson
14 hours ago, Santa Castor said:

The power of ClausNet!  I was contacted by Cindy about ten days ago via Facebook Messenger.  Being a fairly long time member on ClausNet, I recognized the name and knew of her reputation.  Perhaps I should have called her out, but I doubt it would have changed her tactics.  Cons are cons, grifting is just a skill to acquire and hone in their beliefs.  Instead I was cordial, and let her believe she had a 'fish Claus' on the line.  Somehow I found it appropriate and humorous.  I recommend every Santa I meet through every venue to join ClausNet, not only will it make them a better Santa, but it will help them avoid problems and pitfalls.  I suppose those that believe they already know everything they need to know sometimes pay tuition at the School of Hard Knocks

I defriended her last year at the begining of the year and she contacted me a day later asking me the normal questions trying to use me and friend me ( I don't think she even knew I was once a friend) I just told her that I was full and had no intrest in working for anyone. I agree, if your starting a must is to read thru ClausNet, saves you a lot of heartbreak and time. 

• Like 1

Nick Hudson

It's a shame that this is going on with BPS, so many have looked at BPS as the best Santa position there is.  

• Like 2

Santa Gordon
On 7/22/2017 at 0:10 PM, Felix Estridge said:

So you are saying that BPS forced the compensation down?  The way this normally works is that the suppliers submit a bid and the lowest one usually gets it.  If that IS what happened, then she is still hurting all of us with these compensation amounts.

Like many things Bass Pro Shop does, they approached this a bit differently. Yes. I am saying that they set a minimum rate they want to see the person sitting in that chair to be paiid and as I understand it they have also set a max as well. Most reputable agents have paid the contracts to the performers using that minimum of $25 an hour but there have been some exceptions in the past. Those exceptions no longer place for BPS.

Everything done at BPS is by their design and will. The agents taking their contracts are simply trying to fill the chairs they have meeting these requirements set down in their contracts. Like us, the agencies have the option of saying "no" to any offer and the three that are currently in action said yes. 2 of those actually do the job and keep to the contract requirements leaving only one that has shown in the past to breach contracts with both employer and performer.

Now due to the level of connection in this latest contract with BPS linked to Corporate directly, if an agent does not hold to their contract and breaches their contract with the individual locations or with the performers, they have the opportunity to place in writing on the BPS corporate FB page the nature of the complaint and they in turn will investigate the complaint and give a redress/answer after season.  Note: After Season.

What this means is if an agent were to do what Cindy Claus did in 2015, BPS corporate would take a very dim view of such and would likely not only make it right to the supplier (as they have done in the past with other providers) but take steps to make sure the agent did not do this again as a representative preferred vendor for the company.

Edited by Santa Gordon
  • Like 2

SantadSpirit

I have just finished reading this entire thread regarding Cindy and Bass Pro Shops and want to thank all those who have commented.  I too am one of the Bass Pro Santa's for the past 8 years and was just informed that Party Palz and Cindy were now going to be their assigned agency for Santa Placement.  They, as I am sure all the other stores with independent Santa's, told me they certainly wanted me to return but that I needed to negotiate my contract with Cindy for the job.  They advised her to call me and she did but I missed the call and now we are playing phone tag.  I have to admit that even though I have been in this business now 47 years I had not heard of Party Palz but was aware of Cindy Claus.  By being a member of Claus Net has allowed me to hear from all of you and allowed me to know exactly who I may be dealing with.  Frankly, I suspect she is trying to use the $25/hr Santa's for her business and that just ain't me and I will be informing her of this fact but would at least like to hear her response when I give her an hourly quote.  So, I have to agree with the mass that we all should be developing our independent Santa performance yearly for situations just like this.  It has been 15 years since I worked independently but I have good friends for support and a desire to once again enjoy spreading the Spirit of Christmas without the use of a Bass Pass.  Thanks to you all for the insight as it is always good to have advanced information on what appears to be an unscrupulous agent.

Edited by SantadSpirit
  • Like 4

Santa Marty
1 hour ago, SantadSpirit said:

By being a member of Claus Net has allowed me to hear from all of you and allowed me to know exactly who I may be dealing with.

And as a ClausNet member, be sure to follow up with a post or your experience with your call.  

Thanks

• Like 5

SantadSpirit

I certainly will Marty.  

Edited by SantadSpirit
  • Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy

What's happened to BPS Santas could happen to any of us.  As these "agents" smell the money they will become more aggressive.  $25/hour is low pay for an experienced Santa but I wonder what her cut is?  Anybody know?  I bet it's more than the customary 10%.  I don't see how BPS will be saving any money in the long run.  What else is she offering to BPS that we can't offer ourselves?

Just from reading these posts it's safe to assume that these "agents" are out to destroy the independent Santa to profit themselves.

It's good that we have Clausnet to inform us of such shenanigans.  But to those who are able - spread this message to other Santa organizations that you have any sort of connection with (NORPAC, IORBS, Lone Star, etc.) so that everyone will know what is going on.

She'll be going after YOUR job next!

• Like 3

Santa MikeE

One wonders how happy BPS will be with the quality of Santas they will be getting for the great rate that they have in this nationwide contract. In a year or three, things may go back to the way they were.

• Like 2

Nick Hudson
40 minutes ago, Santa MikeE said:

One wonders how happy BPS will be with the quality of Santas they will be getting for the great rate that they have in this nationwide contract. In a year or three, things may go back to the way they were.

problem is that there are several that will do it that are ok, without knowing what expect as pay for Santa and able to earn $200 a day being retired will apeal to many 

• Like 3

SCSanta
3 minutes ago, Nick Hudson said:

problem is that there are several that will do it that are ok, without knowing what expect as pay for Santa and able to earn $200 a day being retired will apeal to many 

And there it is...this is still a good gig for many people. (Not me...this year...but perhaps one day) It is only when you compare it to the way it was, or what else might be out there that you start to see it in a different light. $25 and hour to interact with children is a good gig if you compare it to minimum wage for a daycare worker. Yes, I know they are not the same thing, but BPS is providing this as a free (promotional) service for their business. There are Mall Santas making similar money sitting in the chair and the photo companies paying them are not giving away pictures...in many instances, they are not even allowing the visit unless the customers pay.

As a professional Santa scheduling my own bookings, I confess that I make more money per hour than BPS or Mall Santas. However, I spend countless unbilled hours between gigs and in the off season working on scheduling, marketing, wardrobe, insurance, travel, etc. The hourly rate gap closes significantly when you look at the big picture. What I do right now works well for me, but it is not out of the realm of possibility when I retire or get to a point when I cannot keep up with the off-season and between gig demands of running my own Santa business, I could be happy with a single location gig for the season.

• Like 3

Nick Hudson
6 minutes ago, SCSanta said:

Santa business, I could be happy with a single location gig for the season.

Tried it one year and dont want it, I have a real job and the daily thing makes it feel like a real job.

• Like 2

SantaDBC

Another thread on here, 7 On Your Side gets letter from Santa asking for help, spoke about Cindy and another company that have problems with paying. 

This information is worth its weight in gold to all here especially to me & my Mrs. Claus.

When we went to the Santa Family Reunion in March we talked to 2 different companies that place mall santas and

I came away with very different opinions between them.

One company gave me the impression that they cared for the Santa and tried to meet his needs.

The second company made me feel as if "their" profit was the top priority. They even went so far as to offer us a position on the spot at a mall near (1 hour away) where we live.

We later spoke with santas who work(ed) for both companies and they confirmed our assessment was true.

Now I'm not trying to bash either of these companies as they both appeared to be good, reputable businesses, but after reading Clausnet I am so glad I didn't hurry & sign the first offer that came along! 

It might have easily been with a company whose reputation is like those mentioned above.

So pardon me for repeating myself, but the information here on Clausnet is worth it's weigh in gold.

I think, for now anyway, we will stick with having fun as Santa & Mrs. Claus and leave the malls to someone else.

Edited by SantaDBC
  • Like 2