Felix Estridge

Walmart says these 25 toys will rule the holidays

Felix Estridge

Charisse Jones, USA TODAY Wednesday, 06-Sep-17 04:07:42 PDT

Walmart says these 25 toys will rule the holidays

Parents who came up short hunting for a Hatchimal, the hottest toy of the last holiday season, are about to get a second chance.

A newer version of the toy egg that hatches a host of magical creatures is expected to be in-demand again this year when it comes to gifts under the holiday tree, says Walmart in making its predictions for the top 25 toy picks for 2017.

Ultimately, holiday shoppers will have more than 1,000 new toys from which to choose. "This list is just beginning,'' says Kehoe. "It doesn't stop until the doors close on Christmas Eve.''

A few of Walmart's choices were in line with the predictions of Amazon, which for the first time released its own top 25 holiday toy picks last week.  Both retailers included the Cars 3 Ultimate Florida Speedway and Paw Patrol My Size Lookout Tower.

Walmart's Top 25 Picks

o   Hatchimals Surprise (*Coming soon, details to be released on Oct. 6)

o   Fingerlings

o   littleBits Star Wars Droid Inventor Kit

o   Num Noms Nail Polish Maker

o   FurReal Friends Roarin’ Tyler The Playful Tiger

o   Barbie DreamHorse and Doll

o   Fisher-Price Zoom ’n Crawl Monster

o   L.O.L. Surprise Fizz Factory

o   Soggy Doggy Board Game

o   Mayka Toy Block Tape

o   Frozen Sleigh (*Walmart exclusive)

o   Adventure Force Light Command Light-Up Motorized Blaster (*Walmart exclusive)

o   Monster Jam Grave Digger (*Walmart exclusive)

o   Huffy Electric Green Machine Trike

o   Nerf Rival Nemesis MXVII-10K

o   RECOIL Starter Set

o   New Bright Radio Control Tumblebee

o   VTech Pop-a-Balls Drop and Pop Ball Pit (*Walmart exclusive)

o   Radio Control DashCam (*Walmart exclusive)

o   Dusty the Super Duper Garbage Truck

o   Imaginext DC Super Friends Batman Batbot Xtreme

o   Paw Patrol My Size Lookout Tower

o   Disney/Pixar Cars 3 Ultimate Florida Speedway

o   Mickey and the Roadster Racers Transforming Hot Rod Mickey

o   Disney Junior Doc McStuffins Baby All in One Nursery

SOURCE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Good to become familiar with these toys, know what they look like and know the backstory behind them.

• Like 1

Caleb Sigmon

This is awesome to share, @Felix Estridge!  Thanks for the heads up!

I've spent a lot of time watching YouTubed home videos of the "interview" process with Santa, taking toy requests with young ones, (I know, I'm a little obsessed!  Admitting is the first step to recovery...) and so many times you'll hear a child ask for something and the Santa will reply, "What is that?" or "Oh, okay."

BUT if you just take 10 seconds to converse with the child about their toy (remember, this is something they are very passionate about) it takes a normal interaction to an extraordinary and memorable experience.  

For example, "Oh, yes!  I just love those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!  Which one is your favorite?   (response)  Of course, Michelangelo!  I love his orange mask... and boy, can he sure eat some pizza.  Can I tell you a secret?  One of my favorite new things to do is eating pizza flavored cookies!  Isn't that silly?!" 

Not only will you get a fun laugh, but you'll have empowered the child, and then can steer the conversation back to your next beat or moment.

When we spend the time preparing, the benefits that our visits will reap are immeasurably rewarding!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Caleb Sigmon

Also, I wish I had a dollar for every time I've said, "Doc McStuffins is my favorite stuffed animal doctor of all time!  She's the best!"

Haha it's my immediate go-to reply to a request for anything Doc McStuffins.  Oftentimes, grown ups will chime in with a, "Did you hear that? Even Santa loves Doc!" or "See, he does know!"  I love it because it affirms the child, shows that I am knowledgable, and says that I'm excited about the same things they are. 

It's a good line that you can hopefully get some good mileage on.  I sure have!

• Like 1

Felix Estridge

Definitely agree with your approach, @Caleb Sigmon .  Knowing at least small details about the popular items is the best way to make their visit more memorable and special for them.  And, as you pointed out, even their parents get some joy from it, too.

• Like 2

Santa C

I enjoy asking them who they share the toy with and how they play with it.  

• Like 2

SCSanta

Thanks Felix...great resource!

A little improv trick...if you have trouble remembering games and toys and such.

If you get a request or a child starts talking about a toy that you are not familiar with, but you still want to interact with them on the subject, try turning the question around. 

"What's your favorite thing about the New Bright Radio Control Tumblebee?" or  "The elves love to play Soggy Doggy Board Game after work...why do they like it so much?" This gets them talking about something they are interested in and you get information without making it seem like you didn't know about the toy.

I do a similar thing when kids ask me if I know their name, and I sometimes answer "Of course I do, but I forget how to spell it". They spell their name for me and I say "That's right Jeffery...you're such a good speller" and they smile and forget that they asked the question first.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Schwindy
6 hours ago, Caleb Sigmon said:

This is awesome to share, @Felix Estridge!  Thanks for the heads up!

I've spent a lot of time watching YouTubed home videos of the "interview" process with Santa, taking toy requests with young ones, (I know, I'm a little obsessed!  Admitting is the first step to recovery...) and so many times you'll hear a child ask for something and the Santa will reply, "What is that?" or "Oh, okay."

BUT if you just take 10 seconds to converse with the child about their toy (remember, this is something they are very passionate about) it takes a normal interaction to an extraordinary and memorable experience.  

For example, "Oh, yes!  I just love those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!  Which one is your favorite?   (response)  Of course, Michelangelo!  I love his orange mask... and boy, can he sure eat some pizza.  Can I tell you a secret?  One of my favorite new things to do is eating pizza flavored cookies!  Isn't that silly?!" 

Not only will you get a fun laugh, but you'll have empowered the child, and then can steer the conversation back to your next beat or moment.

When we spend the time preparing, the benefits that our visits will reap are immeasurably rewarding!

@Caleb Sigmon Caleb WHAT A GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU, I just looked up on you tube the interactions of a few of the listed toys. So far my favorite is the Disney/Pixar Cars 3 Ultimate Florida Speedway, but your right, have an idea of the little things and when you talk about them to the child, they will know we know just what they want! YouTube works for the greater good once again! 

7 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Good to become familiar with these toys, know what they look like and know the backstory behind them.

@Santa Johnny Boy, POP! I agree with you as this is what helps with "hook line and sinker" when the child might be on the maybe, or maybe not with believing, If we seem to know so much about a toy, I FEEL it will keep the child or children believing longer when they have that visit and we seem to know all to well about the home and as well as the toys! Do a few minutes of homework and it will payoff in years on keeping the children believing! :santa_grin: 

2 hours ago, SCSanta said:

A little improv trick...if you have trouble remembering games and toys and such.

If you get a request or a child starts talking about a toy that you are not familiar with, but you still want to interact with them on the subject, try turning the question around. 

"What's your favorite thing about the New Bright Radio Control Tumblebee?" or  "The elves love to play Soggy Doggy Board Game after work...why do they like it so much?" This gets them talking about something they are interested in and you get information without making it seem like you didn't know about the toy.

I do a similar thing when kids ask me if I know their name, and I sometimes answer "Of course I do, but I forget how to spell it". They spell their name for me and I say "That's right Jeffery...you're such a good speller" and they smile and forget that they asked the question first.

@SCSanta    Patrick this a great info "TIP" and I thank you! As I have done something like it. but NOT with your smoothness. I totally understand, you make it sound more of a fact finding and not a question of what do you mean. LOVE THAT! :thumbup:This will be a go to for me for sure, because I will forget a few and then if it kicks and I remember I was able to buy some time and then I can comment with the things I know or remember.

@Felix Estridge Thanks Felix, GREAT list as I will be looking over the list and checking it four or five times!  :sc_rofl: Couldn't resist HAD to check the list MORE THAN TWICE!

Again CN to Schwindy's rescue! And much greater than You Tube, ClausNet works for the greater good.

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 1

Caleb Sigmon
48 minutes ago, SCSanta said:

Really good turnaround strategy!

• Like 1

Santa C
13 hours ago, Schwindy said:

@Caleb Sigmon Caleb WHAT A GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU, I just looked up on you tube the interactions of a few of the listed toys. So far my favorite is the Disney/Pixar Cars 3 Ultimate Florida Speedway, but your right, have an idea of the little things and when you talk about them to the child, they will know we know just what they want! YouTube works for the greater good once again! 

@Santa Johnny Boy, POP! I agree with you as this is what helps with "hook line and sinker" when the child might be on the maybe, or maybe not with believing, If we seem to know so much about a toy, I FEEL it will keep the child or children believing longer when they have that visit and we seem to know all to well about the home and as well as the toys! Do a few minutes of homework and it will payoff in years on keeping the children believing! :santa_grin: 

@SCSanta    Patrick this a great info "TIP" and I thank you! As I have done something like it. but NOT with your smoothness. I totally understand, you make it sound more of a fact finding and not a question of what do you mean. LOVE THAT! :thumbup:This will be a go to for me for sure, because I will forget a few and then if it kicks and I remember I was able to buy some time and then I can comment with the things I know or remember.

@Felix Estridge Thanks Felix, GREAT list as I will be looking over the list and checking it four or five times!  :sc_rofl: Couldn't resist HAD to check the list MORE THAN TWICE!

Again CN to Schwindy's rescue! And much more greater than You Tube, ClausNet works for the greater good.

This has been a really fun read for me as a new Santa, kinda makes me want to go play with the toys myself. What a great excuse to go to the toy department.....again:santa_tongue:

Thanks for sharing!!

SantaShawnH

This is a fantastic post and highly educational.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1