Elf Hermey

You Label Yourself Each Time You Say Merry Christmas

Elf Hermey

Like it or not, Christmas can no longer be separated from politics.

From Sarah Palin to Bill O’Reilly, the warriors have been famous and prolific. But for years any fan of Christmas could rise above the political din. You could “agree” with controversial public figures who embrace Christmas without being really associated with them.

Now comes President Donald Trump.

He is brash, his mouth knows no limit, he tweets incessantly, and he is quickly becoming known as the Great Divider. Oh, and he loves Christmas.

This is the change in the war on Christmas we have warned you about.

Before, you could say “Merry Christmas” and people would just call it your belief — your personal brand of celebration. No harm, no foul.

But, thanks to Donald Trump and the polarized divisions politically in the world if you agree with him on anything you will bear his brand — no matter how it is perceived.

We’ve heard about it already.

Our website is simply titled, “Defend Christmas”.

We’re not about politics.

Yet, since the election of Donald Trump we have seen a huge rush of lawsuits thrown our way. Threats, too.

What’s changed?

Donald Trump.

We don’t endorse Trump. And if you must know, NO, I didn’t vote for the guy (and I would never vote for HER, just to be guilty of full disclosure here).

But that doesn’t matter because our job here is to DEFEND CHRISTMAS.

But it has changed now.

If you are a Christmas defender be prepared for what now comes with it. It is an all new level of anti-Christmas vitriol because it is now, more than ever, a political statement. If you defend Christmas, if you say Merry Christmas, if you celebrate the traditional American Christmas you are going to be labeled as Pro-Trump.

That will make you as big a blowhard, as big a bigot, as big a nightmare as President Donald Trump.

Officially, we say, take it.

Defending Christmas is, in the end, even bigger than The Donald.

But we don’t appreciate it. Bearing what we bear simply because we defend Christmas is bad enough. But now to bear the label of Donald Trump our jobs just became a lot more difficult.

View the full article

Schwindy
3 hours ago, Elf Hermey said:

Defending Christmas is, in the end, even bigger than The Donald.

I agree with you, but Christmas, for me is SO MUCH bigger than I. Christmas is bigger than .......... Everything

if you BELIEVE the true meaning of Christmas I fear not my accusers because they JUST DON'T KNOW or understand. And if or when I'll be judged by my piers and they tell me I am a bigot, or racist, or they tell me they hate me for A, B, or C.

PLEASE remember EVERYONE of us who believes what we believe
John 15:18

If the world hates you, understand that it hated Me first.

But we don’t appreciate it. Bearing what we bear simply because we defend Christmas is bad enough. But now to bear the label of Donald Trump our jobs just became a lot more difficult.

I disagree, Mr. Trump though overbearing, very insensitive at times HAS NOT made my life better or worst even if we say the same things about Christmas. Keep the faith, live that life Mr. Trump and I have very little in common yet I believe we share a commonality with the spirit of Christmas. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Santa Johnny Boy

6 hours ago, Schwindy said:

I disagree, Mr. Trump though overbearing, very insensitive at times HAS NOT made my life better or worst even if we say the same things about Christmas. Keep the faith, live that life Mr. Trump and I have very little in common yet I believe we share a commonality with the spirit of Christmas. 

I agree with you, Sonny.  Seems like the above article was just an excuse to bash Trump.

• Like 3

Schwindy
1 hour ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

I agree with you, Sonny.  Seems like the above article was just an excuse to bash Trump.

I am perplexed with the view of the article, why would anyone think defending Christmas is "bad enough" I hope I never feel bad enough for celebrating the birth of Our Lord! Bad enough just doesn't seem like the right words. I left that alone in my statement but adding to it here. if anyone or two people care. But I know I needed to say it. 

• Like 2

rdpugh
7 minutes ago, Schwindy said:

I am perplexed with the view of the article, why would anyone think defending Christmas is "bad enough" I hope I never feel bad enough for celebrating the birth of Our Lord! Bad enough just doesn't seem like the right words. I left that alone in my statement but adding to it here. if anyone or two people care. But I know I needed to say it. 

And from a site that calls itself Defend Christmas.

• Like 2

Felix Estridge

The point of this article is to say that now that Trump has chosen to emphasize saying "Merry Christmas" among his litany of social justice issues, we may be accused of supporting him when we say it in the future, especially this upcoming season being that all this division is spreading like wildfire.  That is all I got out of this article.

• Like 2

Santa Johnathan

This type of article, on Clausnet, is asking for trouble. 

• Like 6

SCSanta
2 minutes ago, Santa Johnathan said:

This type of article, on Clausnet, is asking for trouble. 

I agree...

I was amazed (and overwhelmingly pleased) at how everyone around here refused to take the bait and stayed away from the ugly politics of the last year. Aside from a few brief replies to some ElfBot generated stories that touched on both Christmas and politics, I have been so happy that ClausNet was a refuge from the political tantrums that have been taking place. I hope that trend continues...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Schwindy
14 minutes ago, SCSanta said:

I agree...

I was amazed (and overwhelmingly pleased) at how everyone around here refused to take the bait and stayed away from the ugly politics of the last year. Aside from a few brief replies to some ElfBot generated stories that touched on both Christmas and politics, I have been so happy that ClausNet was a refuge from the political tantrums that have been taking place. I hope that trend continues...

Me 2

• Like 1

Santa Bob of Tulsa

This to me is a subject created simply for arguments sake. In my world I have always said Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays it doesn't matter to me which one I say at the time. I simply mean what I say with no political or religious meaning, just a sweet calling to a marvelous time of the year. No one has ever confronted me over this as no one truly fears what the fools that continue to insist this is an issue, say. I agree there is no benefit giving conversation to a false issue created by fools. I mean no accusation to anyone here only the authors of such stories. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

• Like 2

Santa Ross

I personally felt this statement ( actually the whole article) was a very UN-needed post!

23 hours ago, Elf Hermey said:

That will make you as big a blowhard, as big a bigot, as big a nightmare as President Donald Trump

• Like 2

Nick Hudson

:sc_sleep: Wake me up when there is something to talk about, this isn't. 

• Like 3

Felix Estridge

Locking this topic.

• Love 1