Drosselmeyer

What Christmas Song Do you NOT Like ? and Why ??

Drosselmeyer

As I shared in a previous topic, I love Christmas music - I legitimately listen to it all year long.  There are very few pieces I just do not  like.

What Christmas songs grate on your brain when they come on ??  What songs make you change the channel ?

For me:

Santa Baby - I just hate this song.  I find it selfish and obnoxious.  The fact that it is often sung in a sultry way - suggesting that she is trying to seduce Santa into giving her what she wants - makes the song all that much more offensive to me.

"The New Young Messiah - A Soulful Celebration" - as much as I love the Messiah, and as much as I loved the "new" Young Messiah of 1990 - this version rewrote the score and produced this travesty.  I will not listen to this.

Christmas Wrapping - by the Waitresses -- no real reason - just don't like it

• Like 2

RCSanta

"Last Christmas" ... pretty mean spirited....vindictive 😡

• Like 2

Felix Estridge

"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Bruce Springstein and the E Street Band

• Like 1

SCSanta

"Santa Baby" is my most 'hated' Christmas song. I don't care whose version it is (although Madonna's version is my least favorite) I just can't stand this song. Selfish, campy, dare I say 'slutty'...I know it is supposed to be tongue in cheek, but I dislike it anyway.

'Jingle Bell Rock', 'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree', and Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas is You' are so over played in stores and on the radio, that I am quite over them as well.

• Like 3

Tommy

"Having a Wonderful Chritmastime" by Paul McCartney.  It sounds like someone said, "hey Paul, quick, write a Christmas song" and five minutes later this was the result.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

SCSanta

I forgot to add "My Favorite Things" from Sound of Music. Somehow this song from the movie that is sung to calm children during a summer thunderstorm has become a Christmas standard. Just don't see it...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tom Berent

Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives just drives me nuts.. Maybe because it is way overplayed----

• Like 2

Michael Rielly

I HATE this version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Ironically, the original with Sinatra is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Michael Rielly

I like Domenic the Donkey most mostly because my wife hates it and I like to crank it up when in comes on the radio... :D 

• Haha 1

Drosselmeyer
39 minutes ago, Michael Rielly said:

I like Domenic the Donkey most mostly because my wife hates it and I like to crank it up when in comes on the radio... :D 

once again Sir - you are my hero !!!

• Like 1

RCSanta

I read once that We Wish You a Merry Christmas can be a pretty pushy song...

You start pleasant enough - at someone's door, wishing them a merry Christmas. :Christmas-Bow:

But, by the end you are camped out, refusing to leave, demanding those same people get you something that neither has figs nor is a pudding. :ranting:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Okay, I'm going to say it - you may all throw stones at me if you want.  But, in my own honest opinion, the worst Christmas song, EVER to be written in the whole wide wide world, is:

"The Christmas Shoes"

This song is just SO depressing, I cringe whenever it comes on the radio.

It's not the kind of song that the family sings together when gathered around the fireplace.

Tom Berent

I forgot about that one but I agree totally---SO DEPRESSING

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer
1 hour ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Okay, I'm going to say it - you may all throw stones at me if you want.  But, in my own honest opinion, the worst Christmas song, EVER to be written in the whole wide wide world, is:

"The Christmas Shoes"

This song is just SO depressing, I cringe whenever it comes on the radio.

It's not the kind of song that the family sings together when gathered around the fireplace.

agreed

have you ever heard  "Billy's Christmas Wish" by Red Sovine ??   might even be more depressing....

• Sad 1

Santa Johnny Boy
6 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

agreed

have you ever heard  "Billy's Christmas Wish" by Red Sovine ??   might even be more depressing....

I agree, this song is WAY more depressing than Christmas Shoes.  Neither song has a happy ending,  but Billy's is sad from the get go.

Again, don't judge me here, this story is very sad but the fact that someone WROTE A SONG about it, then recorded it and released it, kind of makes it humorous. Like your typical Country Music song gone wrong...

Drosselmeyer
54 minutes ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

I agree, this song is WAY more depressing than Christmas Shoes.  Neither song has a happy ending,  but Billy's is sad from the get go.

Again, don't judge me here, this story is very sad but the fact that someone WROTE A SONG about it, then recorded it and released it, kind of makes it humorous. Like your typical Country Music song gone wrong...

Agreed - I think Red Sovine did a lot of those sad heartstring songs :santa_cry: .... (Giddy Up Go, Teddy Bear, etc...)

neither one has a happy ending :santa_embarassed:

now I need to go listen to Dominic the Donkey just to unwind :sc_doh:

• Haha 1

SCSanta
1 hour ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Well, I couldn't get past the steel guitar and slide opening. Way too much for me. 

• Haha 1

Tommy

I agree that Christmas Shoes is depressing.  I understand the song, but I'm sorry, it really should be pulled from the play list.  I have to turn the volume down, change the station, or put in a CD when that song comes on.  

• Like 1

Joe Kenyon

I have a few that I don't like. But I ADORE Christmas music! I listen all year long.

The main culprit is Dan Fogelberg's "Same Auld Lang Syne" (This is NOT a Christmas song)

I am also not a fan of the 12 days of Christmas. For me, it drags on way too long. I do, however, like the Muppets version and the "12 pains of Christmas" version.

I share the opinions of most on Christmas Shoes....

One last gripe about Christmas Radio (and for some reason it's usually done with the 12 days of Christmas): I can't stand when they play the same song twice in a row. I get that it's different versions, but still! There are so many songs out there, you don't need to repeat any in one song block.

I apologize for the rant. I just feel like Christmas music is my life and when someone messes with it I get a bit protective.

• Like 2

Drosselmeyer
9 hours ago, Joe Kenyon said:

I have a few that I don't like. But I ADORE Christmas music! I listen all year long.

I apologize for the rant. I just feel like Christmas music is my life and when someone messes with it I get a bit protective.

not a problem

we all like Christmas music

but there are always a few that irritate more than inspire....

:merry:

• Like 2

Santa Bruce Geron

I hope I don't come off sounding like a grinch or a scrooge but yes, there are a number of seasonal songs that I dislike. What i find difficult to enjoy are the self indulgent songs or lyrics that put joy and mystery of the Season on receiving a particular gift or item. Yes, I was also one of those that thought the Brady Bunch Christmas episode when Carol lost her voice very self indulgent. Then it turns out her big solo was a verse of O Come, All Ye Faithful. Don't get me wrong, Florence Henderson has a very good voice and she's a smart singing, but that script.

Here is a partial sampling of Christmas Music I avoid:

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

Last Christmas

Santa Baby

The 12 Days After Christmas

Any cover or remake of a beloved Christmas song/carol that was unnecessarily recorded

The silver lining to this is that there are so many great pieces of music. I just need to avoid the radio stations that play these same pieces over and over again.

• Like 3

Drosselmeyer

Came across this:

WWW.THRILLIST.COM

The song might not be as bad as we think. Or maybe it's worse?

pretty detailed discussion....

I am fairly sure this guy does not like this song....

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron
2 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Came across this:

WWW.THRILLIST.COM

The song might not be as bad as we think. Or maybe it's worse?

pretty detailed discussion....

I am fairly sure this guy does not like this song....

Back when the film Neptune's Daughter came out it was a different time. The innocence of the period or of the song no longer exists. Yes, it's a great tune by Frank Loesser but in the present time hearing the song out of context is difficult. There's many songs and works that have fallen out of use.

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer
23 minutes ago, Santa Bruce Geron said:

Back when the film Neptune's Daughter came out it was a different time. The innocence of the period or of the song no longer exists. Yes, it's a great tune by Frank Loesser but in the present time hearing the song out of context is difficult. There's many songs and works that have fallen out of use.

understood and agreed

but sadly this song just has a predatory overtone in todays perspective.... 

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron
1 hour ago, Drosselmeyer said:

but sadly this song just has a predatory overtone in todays perspective.... 

I agree with you. Even Mozart's Marriage of Figaro story line is very difficult today.

• Sad 1

• Similar Content

• Drosselmeyer
      By Drosselmeyer
      my son singing David Phelps'  Joy Joy  December 2017
    • Drosselmeyer
      By Drosselmeyer
      Name: My son singing David Phelps' Joy Joy December 2017
      Category: Music
      Date Added: 2018-08-07
      Submitter: Drosselmeyer

my son singing David Phelps'  Joy Joy  December 2017

My son singing David Phelps' Joy Joy December 2017
    • Santa Russell
      By Santa Russell
      I have played the bagpipes for over 20 years and would like to be one of the bagpiping Santas our there. I any of you out there know how I can best do this I would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance! I am currently seeking admisssion to Clan Claus, which is a Scottish Santa group.

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation
      On October 3, 1789, President George Washington issued a proclamation naming Thursday, November 26, 1789, a national day of Thanksgiving.

In it, Washington called upon all Americans to express their gratitude for a happy conclusion to the nation's war of independence and the successful ratification of the United States Constitution. Especially this year, as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, we should reflect on the full meaning of the day. Let’s strive to be truly thankful in our hearts this Thanksgiving.

What better way to enter the holiday season?
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Coping With Depression Before and After The Christmas Season
      With all of the joy, love, wonder, and excitement that Christmas brings the "professional" Santa; it can, for some, bring a bit of sadness, anxiety, and overall depression too. Now, many might think, "What!? How can Santa be depressed...it's Christmas!" but it truly can happen and it's good to inventory those feelings and problem solve what an appropriate solution might be.
      • 3 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 1 reply
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 68 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 29 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2018 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.