Kevin Haislip

The Expressions of a Great Santa!

Kevin Haislip

Last year, my daughter and grandson called to invite me to join them for a local Christmas parade in their town.  This town really knows how to celebrate Christmas!  Even though I am a real bearded Santa, I still went and we had a great time watching all the wonderful floats go by, decorated with lights and tinsel and all manner of design.  But when Santa and his sleigh came by, Santa just sat there, nary a wave, barely a smile.

Then recently, I was paging through a talent agency website looking at various Santas represented by that agency.  I’ve got to say, there are a quite a few of us I would not hire if I was looking for someone to appear at my party.  I’ve been a Santa now for 10 years and every year have worked hard to improve my appearance and talents.

I was a commercial photographer for 37 years before I retired.  In that job, I not only had to learn to use a camera and design a photograph, but since I also worked with models (often amateurs), I had to learn how to direct them to get the best shot. 

When I photographed someone in a shot that demanded a mood of ‘excitement’, I studied what other artists and photographers had done to show that.  I directed and worked with the models to get gestures and moods and expressions like happiness, joy, sadness, depression, anger and so on from them.  I was prepared for what looks I needed to inspire when I walked into my studio or on set.  And over time, it became second nature to me to coax various expressions from my models to even get images that were not planned but still became great shots.  I use those skills I learned as a photographer and director.

As Santas, we too need to do this.  We need to look at what photographers and models have done with expression to get such wonderful shots.  And I don’t mean just Santas photos either.

The best sources I have had through the years was Lucille Ball and Dick Van Dyke.  These two actors had rubber faces and knew how to engage their audiences.  They could instantly transform their faces and gestures from that of someone who was being sneaky to one of laughter to embarrassment. 

I encourage you to create a file of fabulous faces and practice them in the mirror yourself!  Think through the kind of engagements you have had with children and what great expression would have made the visit for them AND the picture even greater!  Of particular note, practice and learn facial expressions such as joy, surprise, a great laugh, empathy, and even sadness and compassion.  Learn them and use them regularly even in the off season.  It isn’t just about facial expression either.  Learn to use your hands and gestures to further enhance your look!  Again, watch what the great pros have done. Perhaps most important is pay close attention to your visitor and learn to give a great Santa expression that meets the situation.

I’ve learned to do that even when I am in the same chair for 5 to 8 hours visiting with hundreds of children.  I even tell my photographers to be ready to shoot because the interactions come fast.  I want those parents to leave with a picture of Santa and their child that they will really cherish and say, “That was the best Santa we ever had!”

Now I realize that facial expressions and gestures are not really the ultimate goal.  The real goal is to fully engage with the child or visitor if even for just a minute.

Several years ago, I had an 11 year old girl come to visit me.  She was a delight in every way: beautiful and bubbly and every bit engaging.  She wore an absolutely beautiful Christmas dress of red velvet and white fur.  We talked for a couple minutes.  I complimented her on her beauty and dress and she told me how she was doing and what she wanted for Christmas.  Mom took several pictures with her camera of us just talking and my reactions to what her daughter was telling me (surprise, joy and happiness and laughter…).  A few days later, Mom came back by the set to get my email so she could send me some of her pictures (she loved them!).  As I gave it to her, she was telling me more about her daughter and I learned her daughter was dying of leukemia.  I didn’t have to put on a expression at that point.  It was truly there.

A couple of days before Christmas, Mom and Dad brought their daughter to visit with me again.  I recognized her immediately.  We had a delightful time together that time as well.  But I believe what brought her back was her first visit with Santa.  I had made the first visit such a delightful time and Mom had taken so many fun pictures that this time, they wanted the whole family photographed with Santa.

This past year, I have been mentoring a man who decided to become a Santa.  He is a great fellow and our friendship has deepened significantly.  He has a truly great chuckle and very white hair and long beard.  He has spent a small fortune having a custom suit, belt, buckle, boots and such made.  All well and good.

The man who becomes Santa is all about giving of himself to bless those who come to him.  My friend will make a great Santa! 

All things considered, it isn’t the suit, it’s the man! 

aIMG_8895.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

Santa Bill Reiller

Good points!!!   The face does tell a story.!!

• Like 2

Felix Estridge

Excellent advice.  Try to be better at whatever you do.

• Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy

Santa Kevin, I couldn't agree with you more!  There is a lot than can be studied to make a Santa appearance more memorable, beyond what you can learn at most Santa schools, such as Public Speaking, Acting and even Stand Up Comedy,  all can be accessed at your local community college.

When I do a parade, I am animated and highly interactive with the crowd, all thanks to the above classes I've mentioned.

And, yes, even smiles have to be practiced.  I am amazed to see so many Santa photos where the smile is completely hidden.

• Like 2

Drosselmeyer

really great advice with personal appliacations - it is so important to be present and real for every child - the term I was taught was command presence - to be fully there and engaged and in control - it isn't always easy - sometimes it is just hard - but it makes all the difference

I am so glad you were able to bring such happiness to that little girl and her family - thank you for sharing

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• Drosselmeyer
      By Drosselmeyer
      Name: When Santa Learned the Gospel
      Category: Movies and Television
      Date Added: 07/08/2020
      Submitter: Drosselmeyer

Saw a post on this and looked it up - a very simple story - but very well done
      the book is on Amazon
      Robot Check
      WWW.AMAZON.COM  

When Santa Learned the Gospel
    • Drosselmeyer
      By Drosselmeyer
      Saw a post on this and looked it up - a very simple story - but very well done
      the book is on Amazon
      Robot Check
      WWW.AMAZON.COM  
    • Michael Rielly
      By Michael Rielly
      Born in Germantown Pennsylvania, Henry Jackson van Dyke (1852-1933) was an American author, clergyman, and English literature professor. He authored numerous books of poetry and devotion. Among his popular writings are two Christmas stories: The Other Wise Man (1896) and The First Christmas Tree (1897). One of his more notable books was,The Spirit of Christmas (1905); a collection of Christmas themed writings that includes short stories, prayers, and the following sermon entitled, Keeping Christmas.

Keeping Christmas
      By Henry van Dyke
      It is a good thing to observe Christmas day. The mere marking of times and seasons, when men agree to stop work and make merry together, is a wise and wholesome custom. It helps one to feel the supremacy of the common life over the individual life. It reminds a man to set his own little watch, now and then, by the great clock of humanity which runs on sun time.But there is a better thing than the observance of Christmas day, and that is, keeping Christmas.
      Are you willing to forget what you have done for other people, and to remember what other people have done for you; to ignore what the world owes you, and to think what you owe the world; to put your rights in the background, and your duties in the middle distance, and your chances to do a little more than your duty in the foreground; to see that your fellow-men are just as real as you are, and try to look behind their faces to their hearts, hungry for joy; to own that probably the only good reason for your existence is not what you are going to get out of life, but what you are going to give to life; to close your book of complaints against the management of the universe, and look around you for a place where you can sow a few seeds of happiness--are you willing to do these things even for a day?
      Then you can keep Christmas.
      Are you willing to stoop down and consider the needs and the desires of little children; to remember the weakness and loneliness of people who are growing old; to stop asking how much your friends love you, and ask yourself whether you love them enough; to bear in mind the things that other people have to bear on their hearts; to try to understand what those who live in the same house with you really want, without waiting for them to tell you; to trim your lamp so that it will give more light and less smoke, and to carry it in front so that your shadow will fall behind you; to make a grave for your ugly thoughts, and a garden for your kindly feelings, with the gate open--are you willing to do these things even for a day?
      Are you willing to believe that love is the strongest thing in the world--stronger than hate, stronger than evil, stronger than death--and that the blessed life which began in Bethlehem nineteen hundred years ago is the image and brightness of the Eternal Love?
      And if you keep it for a day, why not always?
      But you can never keep it alone.
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.