Kurt Russell and the Ultimate Santasy

Michael Rielly

Kurt Russell and the Ultimate Santasy

MyMerryChristmas
November 25, 2018
Jeff Westover

EXCERPT:

christmas-chronicles-poster-2.jpg

There’s a new Santa in town. Everyone is talking about him.

Over Thanksgiving weekend Netflix debuted their new Santa-driven Christmas film they dub, probably because they will make this a regular holiday thing, The Christmas Chronicles.

In others words, it’s a story – a Christmas tale. This one is a Santa story – a fantastical, magical story as most Santa stories are. It is a Santasy.

Suiting up for Santa this time is Kurt Russell. The previews for weeks have raised the eyebrows of men and set a-tingle the hearts of women. The Christmas Chronicles with this casting suddenly made this must-see family viewing.

My friends and family, upon seeing the trailers, immediately asked me my opinion. They know very well my almost-sacred reverence for the Big Guy.

The trailers make this Santa out to be anything but reverent.

Those who know me smelled an epic rant about to pour forth on these pages. After all, I’m the guy who dissed Jim Carrey as The Grinch and Will Farrell as Buddy-the-Elf.

Chill. I like Wyatt Earp as Santa.

Netflix reached down deep into Santa’s bag to touch many nerves on this one for me. Kurt Russell was just the first of many right decisions.

But viewer beware: there is some formulaic Christmas slop you have to wade through in The Christmas Chronicles.

SOURCE: https://mymerrychristmas.com/the-christmas-chronicles/

• Like 5

Santa Hill

I thought this was a watchable Christmas movie and Kurt Russell did a good job as a modern take on a classic legendary figure. The cgi elves were just ok. The ending was predictable but well executed with a great cameo for the finish. Although panned terribly by critics, I say watch it and make up your own mind. My family loved it. 

• Like 3

Michael Rielly
1 hour ago, Santa Hill said:

I thought this was a watchable Christmas movie and Kurt Russell did a good job as a modern take on a classic legendary figure. The cgi elves were just ok. The ending was predictable but well executed with a great cameo for the finish. Although panned terribly by critics, I say watch it and make up your own mind. My family loved it. 

I disagree with the CGI elves. Since when are elves furry with tails?

The rest was okay. I feel the entire plot,not just the ending, was predictable.

I would watch it again if there was nothing on, but it won't be in my top 10 Christmas movies.

• Like 1

Santa Castor

Santa with an attitude was a bit much, but the elves as little gremlin like figures was the bigger disappointment.  Probably a modern classic, but I don't align myself, or especially my Santa persona, as modern.

Obviously they had a large budget,  it was entertaining 

• Like 1

Santa_in_Detroit

I've been eager to hear what you all thought of this rendition of Santa, especially about 1) the take on "I don't say that" (ho ho ho) and 2) the modern apparel.

First, the not saying ho ho ho seemed odd, but whatever. 

The latter of the 2 caught my attention because I am quite new here and shopping for a better suit, in doing so I  probably more than 1 (a new "coke classic" + a variation). A jerkin vest over a renaissance shirt with the hair, beard, Santa-pants and boots might be a different take worth considering, at least for me.

I did like that the beard was not blazing white, if I could custom do hair, I'd like to have a few streaks of grey and maybe black for what might be a more authentic experience.  

For now my budget is limited to exploring ideas, I am no where near shelling out several thousand to up my game, not now, hopefully soon! 

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer

I had a little girl ask me to leave her Santa's hat - because that is what she saw in the movie....

• Like 2

rdpugh

Luckily I decided to break my rule against No Netflix last night and sign up for a free month just to see this movie.  Already had a few questions about things in the movie.  Mostly about the myth of Santa's laugh.  One 7 year old boy asked if the myth about the laugh was true that Santa really doesn't Ho, ho, ho.  I gave a hahaha, hehehe, and then a hohoho, and that put that quesiton to rest.

• Like 2

Eileen Strom

Hollywood in general fails to grasp how their character's portrayal will reflect on those that DO portray Santa.

I thought the not saying ho, ho, go was a bit odd, and knew questions about it for Dave will now occur...

• Like 2

Santa Bill Reiller

Let the questions begin!

• Like 2

Hogfather

I agree the elves certainly let the movie down. How the movie rates against other Santa Movies with the general public only time will tell. It was watchable.

• Like 1

Felix Estridge

The issue with the "I don't do that" thing was just another item that this Santa was misrepresenting on purpose for these 2 children.  Do you not all remember that at the end of the night when he dropped them off when he made the sleigh fly after giving Teddy his hat to keep?  When Teddy asked Santa how he would be able to get around without his magic hat, Santa's reply was, "I'm Santa," and he made the sleigh fly by just holding his hands up.  To me, that night was all about Teddy.  I took it that the entire point of the night was to get Teddy back on the straight and narrow after his father had passed given the path he was already on.  So Santa told some fibs & had an "accident" to help mold Teddy back into what he should be by Teddy & his sister thinking that Santa needed their help that night.  When he took off in the sleigh and came back around down their street, he left with a loud, "Ho, Ho, Ho!  Merry Christmas!" which was the ONLY time he did it that entire night with them.

• Like 5

rdpugh

I did thoroughly enjoy the movie.  Just wish it was on something other than Netflix.

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron
2 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

I had a little girl ask me to leave her Santa's hat - because that is what she saw in the movie....

I was wondering if there would be questions arising from this movie. I will find time to watch the entire film. I got to the 15 minute mark and realized I needed to do something constructive. But, I will go back - research time, like any good academic.

• Like 1

Santa Tragen

I enjoyed The car scene.   But what I really liked was his costume.  The fur was something; the fact that it would better match my beard. Going to look in to it for next year.

• Like 3

Nick Hudson

I thought it did a great job explaining how Santa made.all.the deliveries. I loved it! I also loved the way it keep the bag full of toys and the adress book was great.

• Like 1

Michael Rielly
8 hours ago, Felix Estridge said:

The issue with the "I don't do that" thing was just another item that this Santa was misrepresenting on purpose for these 2 children.  Do you not all remember that at the end of the night when he dropped them off when he made the sleigh fly after giving Teddy his hat to keep?  When Teddy asked Santa how he would be able to get around without his magic hat, Santa's reply was, "I'm Santa," and he made the sleigh fly by just holding his hands up.  To me, that night was all about Teddy.  I took it that the entire point of the night was to get Teddy back on the straight and narrow after his father had passed given the path he was already on.  So Santa told some fibs & had an "accident" to help mold Teddy back into what he should be by Teddy & his sister thinking that Santa needed their help that night.  When he took off in the sleigh and came back around down their street, he left with a loud, "Ho, Ho, Ho!  Merry Christmas!" which was the ONLY time he did it that entire night with them.

That part I liked. That at the end it really wasn't the hat. Again, my only problem with the movie was the elves. I don't understand why they had to go in that direction. Clearly they were a furry version of Minions. 

I was okay with the suit and even the beard and hair -- which I think was his own if I am not mistaken.

I wish someone would buy the rights to Jeff Guinn's Santa Claus trilogy and turn that into a movie. In my opinion his books are the closest to what I believe the real Santa would be like. I love how he uses actual history to tell the story of Santa and Mrs. Claus. Someday when I am a multi-millionaire I will produce that movie. And no I wouldn't cast myself in the role of Santa. I think Phil Wenz @Legendary Santa Claus would be the perfect casting... 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Santa Hill
18 minutes ago, Michael Rielly said:

I was okay with the suit and even the beard and hair -- which I think was his own if I am not mistaken.

According to what I have read, his beard was 80% his own. Now this was a perfect combination of being a traditional and real bearded Santa.

• Like 2

Nick Hudson

"That part I liked. That at the end it really wasn't the hat. Again, my only problem with the movie was the elves. I don't understand why they had to go in that direction. Clearly they were a furry version of Minions. "

I wonder if it was just a lazy way to do the elves instead of having a bunch of actors doing elves or maybe a budget thing? There was a lot of computer work with this movie. 

Michael Rielly
39 minutes ago, Nick Hudson said:

I wonder if it was just a lazy way to do the elves instead of having a bunch of actors doing elves or maybe a budget thing? There was a lot of computer work with this movie. 

They could have still used CGI for human looking elves.

• Like 2

High Country Santa Mike

Watched the movie last night.  I thought the first half was very good.  I liked the leather jacket, the cool sleigh and some of the gadgets---all seemed Steampunk oriented.  I was okay with his beard and hair too.  The story was fine, somewhat typical and predictable, but good.  I loved the jail cell music scene with Miami Steve Van Zandt leading the band.  Great rendition of that song too. 

For me, the movie took a nosedive about half way through.  The "elves" were atrocious---actual actors instead of CGI Gremlins in Christmas outfits would have been 10 times better.  The ending was good, but not needing the hat and revealing his "powers' made other things in the movie, such as having to drive a car, being tackled, staying in jail, etc. all moot.  Lastly it reminded me of the last half of The Santa Clause where Santa gets arrested for supposedly kidnapping Charlie and is rescued by the elves.  Kind of like they took that one scene and made it into a movie.

Far from the best of the Santa movies, it was an enjoyable first time watch.  I probably won't see it again though.

Bob Saunders

I quite enjoyed it.  I am a big Kurt Russel fan and huge Wyatt Earp fan, kinda sorry they didn't find a way to sneek in

..."You tell 'em I'm coming... and elves coming with me!"

Now come on, that would have been funny.  I liked how he made several sideways references to Christmas song ..."those are Sleigh bells.....are ya listening?"

The elves kinda made me think I was watching Santa Meets The Gremlins, but I'm easy.

Edited by Bob Saunders
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bob Saunders

Here ya go.....

..Santa Claus and one of my favorite cowboy movies.... don't get better than that....

Russel.jpg

Edited by Bob Saunders
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Santa Andy G.

can you see one of the elves saying... " I'll be your huckleberry " to the thug leader.

• Haha 3

Santa Eric
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, Michael Rielly said:

That part I liked. That at the end it really wasn't the hat. Again, my only problem with the movie was the elves. I don't understand why they had to go in that direction. Clearly they were a furry version of Minions. 

I wish someone would buy the rights to Jeff Guinn's Santa Claus trilogy and turn that into a movie. In my opinion his books are the closest to what I believe the real Santa would be like. I love how he uses actual history to tell the story of Santa and Mrs. Claus. Someday when I am a multi-millionaire I will produce that movie. And no I wouldn't cast myself in the role of Santa. I think Phil Wenz @Legendary Santa Claus would be the perfect casting... 

Would love to see Jeff Guinn's books made into a movie.  I did like this movie though.  I did not care for the elves having tails, but I did not absolutely disliked them.  I love the suit he wore in the movie.  I heard an interview with him and the beard for the most part was his own.  He grew his beard for 3 months and the makeup person added parts to the beard to make it more full.  I loved the joke about the billboard adding pounds.  I thought majority of the jokes were funny.  Not sure why they went with the idea that he doesn't say Ho Ho Ho. Did not bother me all that bad though.  I think he did a great job as Santa.  Loved who played Mrs. Claus at the end.

• Like 2

Felix Estridge
4 hours ago, Santa Eric said:

Not sure why they went with the idea that he doesn't say Ho Ho Ho. Did not bother me all that bad though.

It played into his take on people stereotyping him.  At the end, he did it the one and only time in the movie, for the kids because they begged him to do it right before he left.

• Like 1

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• George Washington's 1789 Thanksgiving Proclamation
      On October 3, 1789, President George Washington issued a proclamation naming Thursday, November 26, 1789, a national day of Thanksgiving.

In it, Washington called upon all Americans to express their gratitude for a happy conclusion to the nation's war of independence and the successful ratification of the United States Constitution. Especially this year, as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, we should reflect on the full meaning of the day. Let’s strive to be truly thankful in our hearts this Thanksgiving.

What better way to enter the holiday season?
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Coping With Depression Before and After The Christmas Season
      With all of the joy, love, wonder, and excitement that Christmas brings the "professional" Santa; it can, for some, bring a bit of sadness, anxiety, and overall depression too. Now, many might think, "What!? How can Santa be depressed...it's Christmas!" but it truly can happen and it's good to inventory those feelings and problem solve what an appropriate solution might be.
      • 3 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 1 reply
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 68 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 29 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2018 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.