Drosselmeyer

A good Santa Claus can rake in $15,000 for the season

Schwindy
11 hours ago, Santa Bert said:

I must admit that I only did charity or church visits this year but I like to expand to a point where I'm doing enough paid gigs that I don't fall into a hole and can continue to do charity gigs. I'm just starting out as a Santa and I'm not in it just for the money. But a little wouldn't hurt.

Santa Bert

BERT:

YOU ARE NOT ALONE with your comments or how you'd LOVE TO DO THINGS. MANY HERE, charge JUST SO THEY CAN DO THE CHARITY WORK! GOOD FOR YOU AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK FOR THE 2019 SEASON! If you talk to those who do this, they should be able to help you out a lot so your not going into it blindly! I know of men and women here on CN do what your talking about. If I were you, start a thread asking for help and seeing WHAT OR WHO DOES EXACTLY what your talking about!

Again best of luck to you and YOU HAVE ALL YEAR TO GET IT ALL READY! MAKE USE OF THIS TIME TO DO SO!

God Bless you, and I hope it's the best season EVER for you.

Peace & Love
Schwindy

• Like 3

Camdeeman

So this year I have had a great time with folks, but just the one or two complaints about charging got stuck under my saddle.

I thought about posting a Facebook thing about what I do and why I do it. I changed my mind but decided to chime in on this forum as a way to vent and also to ask others what they say or do. I take great pride in having a nice suit that wasn't just off the rack velveteen. It was maybe 450.00 but then I had to have it altered to fit just so. I found boots that are big and have the fur so they cost nearly 100.00. The belts and buckles just don't last so I had a saddle-maker help me get a nice large belt and buckle that has very nice finish work that cost 100.00. Colored contact lenses and prescription reading glasses just for the season, yep another 150.00. I get the suit cleaned and sanitize it between jobs so I am not carrying any cold or flu if I can help it. I spend nearly 100.00 on beard and hair bleach and whitener products to keep the authentic full facial expressions and head of hair that people are surprised to see is real. I get the flu and pneumonia vaccine along with the DIP/TET whooping cough vaccines to make sure parents of newborns don't have to worry. Then I bought insurance and had a background check done for anyone that asks about it.

I do it because I love the season, I love the message, I love sharing the magic of Christmas as much as I can. I also don't mind recovering the costs involved and making a little to spend on Christmas presents for friends and family. I do what I do because I love it, but I go the extra mile so that even when I charge, people feel like they are getting a truly unique and special experience.

*I would never disparage another person for doing Santa appearances for no charge, and I would ask that they extend the same courtesy to me.

• Like 5

SCSanta
1 hour ago, Camdeeman said:

So this year I have had a great time with folks, but just the one or two complaints about charging got stuck under my saddle.

I thought about posting a Facebook thing about what I do and why I do it. I changed my mind but decided to chime in on this forum as a way to vent and also to ask others what they say or do. 

I think your instincts are correct about not posting on Facebook what you do and why as it pertains to what you charge. You don't need to explain your fees to anyone who see fit to complain. I am glad you posted here for feedback...that is exactly what we do here and I am always happy to share what and why I do things the way I do. At the same time, I adamantly respect that others my choose to do things a different way, and so long as it doesn't hurt the image of Santa, I support their different viewpoints.

I have a Santa Philosophy on my website that explains a bit about why I do what I do. There is no reference to money or what I spend or what I charge in connection with my philosophy. I do post my rates on a different page for informational purposes so people who are determining their budget don't need to feel embarrassed by asking my fee. There is a statement linked to that page that explains a little bit in the most general terms, why I charge for my visits. It reads as follows...  

Every year, a percentage of my visit time is offered at "no charge", benefiting and promoting a variety of deserving individuals and groups such as Toys for Tots, Santa America, hospice care, at risk families, and military support programs. The fees I charge for my other appearances help off-set expenses and make these gift visits possible, and for that I am sincerely grateful.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Schwindy
7 hours ago, Camdeeman said:

*I would never disparage another person for doing Santa appearances for no charge, and I would ask that they extend the same courtesy to me.

Cam! Did you hear it? The sound after you posted this!?
The sound of ........ or what appeared to be two pieces of wood clunked together at a high rate of speed?

Oh wait a minute ....... That wasn't it!
It was the sound of a baseball LEAVING THE YARD at about 115 miles per hour and

of course it was @ the perfect launch angle of 28 degrees!

Nicely DONE! Nicely said!

Much like the many here, I am still learning and still honing my craft, my skill. Learning new things each day. Sometimes I log in, and I get to read something that may or may not change my mind, but always willing to read somethings that makes one think. I agree with you 100%
Best of luck to you, and I wish you the very best
Peace & Love
Schwindy

• Like 5

Chris Jaye

I agree, why does it always come down to the money? Many of my community events are done for free, am I under valuing my services? Yes I have payed events, but I thought this was for the joy of the season.

• Like 3

Santa Dan

I enjoyed this year and was extremely happy to have raised over $2,000 for a family the really needed it. I do have paid events and with them I made about $500 of which I was able to get gifts for several families and gift cards for a grand total of $670. Some people that know who I am and have helped me put some photo sessions with Santa had asked me why I don't use some of the money for myself or my needs. Unless they have the same mindset, they just cannot understand. I need a new roof, I still have a large group of medical bills from my wife's medical issues and to those on the outside looking in, might feel sorry for us. For 6 years or so we had no idea how we were going to stay in our house, we were at one point 8 payments behind in our payments, my wife's seizures were getting worse, my youngest son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 3 years old. After my wife's brain surgery (which was to lower her seizures by 10-20% at best), she is seizure free, my youngest son is a Varsity wrestler on the high school team and I have been able to work in a Real Estate Appraiser's Office and working on settling our affairs in order. On tope of that I have a total of 4 children whom I am so very proud of. The things we now deal with now are trivial in comparison and we are truly blessed and gifted to be able to go through all that mess to see God working miracles on many occasions.  Now hopefully, God can use my visits to be the action that gifts and blesses others. I say this in about every post so sorry if it is a bit repetitious, this incredible place and the amazing people on it have allowed me to be more Santa than I ever knew was possible and will superseded by each and every following year I am allowed to wear the red suit. I am looking forward to even more paying gigs to allow me to do what I feel is my path. My goal this year is to work on obtaining a sleigh.... Santa is really wanting a Sleigh ever since he was looking on facebook marketplace and saw someone actually selling a SLEIGH!!! Oh, Sleigh, you will be my goal for this year!

• Like 4

SantaJoe
On 12/10/2018 at 4:42 PM, Drosselmeyer said:

Allen....., said.... most malls can’t fork over premium rates, especially since many are struggling to stay afloat themselves.

If this was true.......

On 12/27/2018 at 7:40 AM, TexasSanta said:

Isn't this the same guy who said on Shark Tank he had (since 2016) revenues of $189,000, $350,000, projected $1,000,000 in 2018 and forecasting $2,000,000 in 2019? 

Then this could never happen. 

• Like 4

Schwindy
8 hours ago, SantaJoe said:

If this was true.......

Then this could never happen. 

And then boys and girls Pinocchio's nose grew three times longer than it already was!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1SantaClausVA

What I never understand is, why is getting paid for your business expenses completely antithetical to our services being about the children?

We aim for 30% free visitations each season and wind up with 50% but we charge well for those that do pay. We do not love one child more than the other. The one family makes us available to the other. We do not have great wealth. We NEED to partner with 

EVERY child we see gets the very best of us whether we are paid or not.

If it really IS about the children, then being paid does not negate that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Mervyn The Hired Hand

Not sure why anybody would pay $200-$300 for a custom Santa belt and buckle when a high-quality hand-made 3" leather belt with solid brass buckle can be had for $60 plus postage, and a 4" belt with stainless steel buckle for $72. Shoot, a leather belt to fit one's own buckle can be had for $52-$64. Now if you get into fancy hand-made buckles it can get expensive, but how much does one need to spend to hold up one's pants? Maybe Forbes just doesn't know where to look?

• Like 1

Santa Jolly

The article shows it's bias straight away by using the word 'rake' as opposed to the neutral non judgmental 'earn'.

• Like 1

Santa Jolly

When I first started, I used to struggle with the notion of charging and what should I charge for. Then I heard a piece of general advice on the radio which I find really useful;

" Don't run your Business like a Charity - chances are you'll pretty soon go bankrupt! And that won't help anyone. Run you business like a business, be successful, and then you can afford to be charitable."

Of course all of this is open to interpretation but it's a principal which has stood me in good stead of working full-time performing for children for 35 years.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Santa Jolly
Posted (edited)

And no matter what you earn as Santa doesn't stop you from being charitable, does it?

Edited by Santa Jolly
duplicate
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Santa Jolly
Posted (edited)

I think you have to consider who your client is.

Edited by Santa Jolly
duplicate
  • Like 1

Santa Dan

I think the $15k might be a bit conservative.

post robs GIF

Doubters!

• Haha 2

Santa Ed K
1 hour ago, Santa Dan said:

I think the $15k might be a bit conservative.

post robs GIF

Doubters!

Calling out a Bad Santa!!

• Haha 2

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.