A good Santa Claus can rake in $15,000 for the season

Drosselmeyer

A good Santa Claus can rake in $15,000 for the season

By Jade Scipioni
December 10, 2018
FOXBusiness

EXCERPT:

santa20reuters-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

It might not be the easiest gig in the world, dealing with massive crowds of kids – some of which end up crying on your lap – but being a Santa Claus for hire could be extremely lucrative.

According to Mitch Allen, partner at HireSanta LLC, a company that places hundreds of Saint Nicks throughout the U.S., most Santas typically rake in around $2,000 to $15,000 per holiday season, starting around Thanksgiving and ending on Christmas Day.

“Most make $3,000 to $7,000, but it really varies based on how much Santa wants to work and the type of work he wants to do,” Allen told FOX Business, adding that many Santas may see a big boost this year due to the economy.

“We have seen a dramatic influx of requests this year than last year,” he added, while noting that the hourly rates have unfortunately remained the same from last year.

Walt Frasier, a freelance Santa from New York, said he made around $7,000 for the month last year combining all his corporate, public and private home appearances.

“[I typically charge] $150 to $250 an hour depending on the day and time. On Christmas Eve, I charge $300 an hour and as much as $500 for Christmas Day,” he told FOX Business last December.

Lynn Allen, aka Santa Allen, who has been a professional Kris Kringle for nearly 10 years in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, wouldn’t disclose how much he makes in a season but said he is on the higher end of the pay scale.

“I work about five days a week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The number of hours varies greatly, from more than 12 hours on Saturdays to just a few on the weekdays,” Allen said, adding that he avoids traditional mall work altogether to focus on higher-paying private and corporate events.

“My ideal client is an event that needs a performing Santa, a larger-than-life Santa with a magical look. I work with many large event planning companies that use Santa in their productions,” he added.

The biggest reason why many opt out on the mall work is because it’s the lowest paying.

According to a survey from Payscale last December, mall and department store Santas make around $30 an hour on average, with the high-end earners making as much as $75 an hour.

Allen, whose company debuted on ABC’s “Shark Tank” earlier this month and has been picked up by investor Barbara Corcoran, said the reason mall Santas get paid significantly less is because they typically need their leading men in red for several hours, and most malls can’t fork over premium rates, especially since many are struggling to stay afloat themselves.

And, while the pay is good, there are some downsides to pursuing good ol’ Saint Nick as a career. The suit alone could run up to $1,200, and many jobs require that Santa hopefuls go to Santa school, which could run an additional $250 to $500 in expenses.

“Good off-the-rack suits are $300 to $500 while custom suits are $700 to $1,200-plus. Most good Santas have a custom belt and buckle that are $200 to $300 and boots are around $100 to $1,000, so it can be expensive. Most professionals would probably say that it’s $1,000 for a suit all-in, and many of them have two to three of them or more,” Allen said.

SOURCE: https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/a-good-santa-claus-can-rake-in-15000-for-the-season

Edited for News Formatting

##

this came out on one of the news sites today

I don't like how the article focuses on $$ more than service

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Nick Hudson

oh boy here we go again, look out here comes the cheap set ups and high prices.

• Like 2

Santa Bill Reiller

Not going to end well I can hear it now.

• Like 2

Chris Hare

Agreed read the article and its not flattering only talks money.

• Like 1

Michael Rielly

Read the article and see who they are interviewing. That should tell you everything...

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Nick Hudson
1 hour ago, Michael Rielly said:

Read the article and see who they are interviewing. That should tell you everything...

Ah he's recruiting isn't he?

• Like 1

Santa Bill Reiller

I know he advertised a lot on facebook trying to get Santas.  Hate when they focus on money.

• Like 4

Felix Estridge

What you'll hear from me on this issue...

Crickets

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Santa Michael HCMC

I try to make enough money to cover my expenses so I can do more charitable contributions because after all it is about the children 

• Like 4

Atlantic Santa

For most of us it's not about the money.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Nick Hudson
30 minutes ago, Atlantic Santa said:

For most of us it's not about the money.

I'm beginning to think it might need to be after this year.

• Like 3

rdpugh

And there seems to be a good number out there doing this for money with zero business sense such as reading and understanding their contracts themselves and protecting their own image usage.

• Like 4

Santa Johnny Boy

So, THIS is the article that's leading to the heavy flux of new, "easy money" Santas?

Sad thing is, now there will be an article like this every year...

• Like 3

Santa Peter

i never charge any place i go 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Schwindy
2 hours ago, Santa Peter said:

i never charge any place i go 

You and ME BOTH SIR! But we are the crazy ones, ......... LOOK AT ALL THE CASH WE ARE MISSING OUT ON! :thumbup::sc_rofl::116:

• Haha 4

Santa Johnathan
On 12/11/2018 at 8:39 AM, Felix Estridge said:

What you'll hear from me on this issue...

Crickets

Chirp...chirp...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Santa Johnny Boy

$15,000 a season?

I must not be charging enough...

• Like 1

Michael Rielly
On 12/25/2018 at 12:10 AM, Schwindy said:

You and ME BOTH SIR! But we are the crazy ones, ......... LOOK AT ALL THE CASH WE ARE MISSING OUT ON! :thumbup::sc_rofl::116:

jerry maguire money GIF

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Santa Andy G.

Silly Me, and I thought it was all about the children.

• Haha 2

Drosselmeyer
1 hour ago, Santa Andy G. said:

Silly Me, and I thought it was all about the children.

Egadz !!

As I shared before - I have a few paid appearances, but more charitable ones - I have yet to break even - so if it's about the $$$ I'm doing it wrong....

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Schwindy
17 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Egadz !!

As I shared before - I have a few paid appearances, but more charitable ones - I have yet to break even - so if it's about the $$$ I'm doing it wrong....

You need to start adding ZERO'S to that "bill of yours!" :sc_rofl: That's what I do and then you can't be in a hole or red if you don't use NO INK! LOL!

@Nick Hudson said one time here on CN, it was quite funny. After doing his taxes he was BROKE! Had me in stitches the rest of the night! 

• Haha 2

Schwindy
19 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

jerry maguire money GIF

Michael I love that movie and YES sometimes when people get into the Santa portrayal, As we know first hand, ...........  It's all they see, think about, smell, taste & touch!
I like the way I / we do things (Wife and I) as I am lucky enough to be able to do things just the way we like and LOVE. I am lucky enough that my mentor here @Father Christmas did it the exact same way while he could do it. The funnest thing is how OTHERS worry more about how we do or don't charge for what little we do. By the way, "others" I am talking about my mother, She sees what we put into the Santa visit year in and year out, drives her crazy! Makes me laugh! This year she called me a "geek"! "With the way I do the Santa stuff and how I want everything just right for the days activities" All while she is still driving us around while doing our rounds this year! Still souldn't change any of it, ever!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TexasSanta

Isn't this the same guy who said on Shark Tank he had (since 2016) revenues of $189,000, $350,000, projected $1,000,000 in 2018 and forecasting $2,000,000 in 2019? I will admit that I have had email conversations with him in the past but I had no idea that he was this focused on the business end of the equation. I thought he was just a fellow Santa who needed some additional assistance here locally. Silly me!

I did read 2 different stories featuring 2 different Santa's on CNBC and Billfold about Santa's bragging on their $20,000 Seasons. 

It seems all you have to do to be a successful Santa is to simply brag about how busy you are and how much you make to any business writer wanting to do a Christmas-y story. 😡

• Like 2

Drosselmeyer
3 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Michael I love that movie and YES sometimes when people get into the Santa portrayal, As we know first hand, ...........  It's all they see, think about, smell, taste & touch!
I like the way I / we do things (Wife and I) as I am lucky enough to be able to do things just the way we like and LOVE. I am lucky enough that my mentor here @Father Christmas did it the exact same way while he could do it. The funnest thing is how OTHERS worry more about how we do or don't charge for what little we do. By the way, "others" I am talking about my mother, She sees what we put into the Santa visit year in and year out, drives her crazy! Makes me laugh! This year she called me a "geek"! "With the way I do the Santa stuff and how I want everything just right for the days activities" All while she is still driving us around while doing our rounds this year! Still shouldn't change any of it, ever!

Your Mom called you a GEEK ?!?!?!?

Wow - I have so much more to learn.....:sc_rofl:

I suppose it is a special level of privilege - I get to enjoy confusing my Momma too...

@Schwindy Love ya brother !!   Keep up the good work !! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Santa Bert

I must admit that I only did charity or church visits this year but I like to expand to a point where I'm doing enough paid gigs that I don't fall into a hole and can continue to do charity gigs. I'm just starting out as a Santa and I'm not in it just for the money. But a little wouldn't hurt.

Santa Bert

• Like 3

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 23 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 1 reply
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 85 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 29 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.