Survey: 27% of Americans Want Santa Claus to Be Female or Gender-Neutral

Santa Bull

Survey: 27% of Americans Want Santa Claus to Be Female or Gender-Neutral

Britbart
Tom Cicotta
December 15, 2018

EXCERPT:

e1b481_tourism-lapland-has-reached-an-al

A new survey found that 27 percent of Americans want Santa Claus to be rebranded as either female or gender-neutral.

A new survey by a graphic design company revealed that 27 percent of Americans want to see Santa rebranded as a female or a gender-neutral figure. More than 10 percent of respondents said that Santa should be a woman. A whopping 17 percent said that Santa should be a “gender-neutral” figure.

“I picture a woman giving presents,” one New Jersey resident said. “I just feel like a white, old man giving presents is kind of creepy.”

“I think Santa is a mystical creature, so it can be whatever you want it to be,” said another New Jersey resident said, referring to the belief that Santa could be a “gender-neutral” figure.

Santa Claus is based on St. Nicholas, a historical figure who lived between 270 and 343 AD. St. Nicholas inspired the traditional Santa Claus figure due to his real-life habit of secret gift-giving.

SOURCE: https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/12/15/survey-27-of-americans-want-santa-to-be-female-or-gender-neutral/

#

What are your thoughts on these articles posted today regarding the rebranding, female Santa or gender neutral Santa?

Edited by Michael Rielly
Edited for new format...
  • Angry 4

SCSanta
40 minutes ago, Santa Bull said:

What are your thoughts on these articles posted today regarding the rebranding, female Santa or gender neutral Santa?

I haven't seen the articles, so I can't comment. My guess would be that my comments would be unprintable anyway.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Schwindy
47 minutes ago, Santa Bull said:

I didn't know anything about this, so I of course had to see how the world just might be going crazy. And in fact it is doing just that. How would they rearrange the past?! I guess Hollywood would be pushing this change though it didn't say that yet. But they try to push everything else down our throats.

World is going crazy here is the proof  

Does anyone remember on a Monday night football broadcast, one of the men bringing the game said something LIKE

"You can take me now Lord I've seen enough" I forget who said it, when it was said, but I do remember it. I feel the same way after so much of the things seem to be going sideways in LIFE. Everybody in the media as well as people who say we need to think of everybody else, yet the rules that started this country, the laws to protect this country, the traditions that help form this country, ALL SEEM TO HAVE BEEN OR ARE TRYING TO BE REMOVED from this country from the inside out?!

If this happens, the Santa thing, I truly do feel, it's time to kindly ask for a ride home. Where I hope things will make more or better sense, instead of the way this crazy world is heading.

:santa_cry::santa_angry::sc_hmm:

• Like 6

Hubcity Santa

I felt it was a hilarious article that was written by a marketing firm ( of course) on how people should modernize Santa as far as asking should he have tattoos, gender neutrality and update his outfit to skinny jeans, etc. All I could find was the initial survey was 400 people from USA and the UK and about 21-25% are for updating Santa and a second survey was done with 4,000 people with similar results. However, they didn’t disclose the demographics of the pools they used. 

My opinion is with an available pool of about 415 million people in USA & UK and a 20% approval rate, anybody could find about 800-1000 people to agree with their marketing strategy so it doesn’t seem to concern me much. 

• Like 3

Eileen Strom

There have been women that have put on the red suit, but they also make themselves LOOK like what Santa is supposed to look like when they are doing it!

Like Patrick above, my comments mostly wouldn't be printable, but that said, this gender neutral stuff is pure cow dung, and like Hubcity states above, there are (stupid) people everywhere, and if you search hard enough, you can find idiots that will agree to just about anything these days. But the very small population % of nut jobs that thinks this (Santa should be gender neutral), just goes to prove that they ARE Nut Jobs, and hopefully will not be adding to the gene pool.

• Like 6

Tommy

In response to the article, "no...no....no.... and NO!"

• Like 4

JimBoone

Should there be more black Santa's? St Nicholas was of eastern origin, probably not Caucasian. Are there any black Santa;s in your area?

Felix Estridge

For this topic, I have verbiage that cannot be posted here.  The short answer is NO to their PC BS.

• Like 7

Santa Bill Reiller

I have not read the article or care.  My short answer is   NO!

• Like 4

SantaDBC
4 hours ago, JimBoone said:

Should there be more black Santa's? St Nicholas was of eastern origin, probably not Caucasian. Are there any black Santa;s in your area?

We met Santa Larry from Texas, see his page below, when we were at the Santa Family Reunion in Gatlinburg 2017, great Santa by the way.

https://santadallastexas.com/

If memory serves me correctly he was hired away from his state to do a short stint at The Mall of America.

So there is a demand for “Black Santas”.

When Hire Santa made their pitch on Shark Tank there were two African-American Santas who came along for the presentation.

Edited by SantaDBC

Viking Santa

Hmm. How well did that work for Dr. Who? 

The people demanding change aren't always the customers.

• Like 3

Michael Rielly
On 12/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, Eileen Strom said:

There have been women that have put on the red suit, but they also make themselves LOOK like what Santa is supposed to look like when they are doing it!

Irene Milan - International Santa Claus Hall of Fame 2017

https://www.santaclaushall.com/2017-inductees/irene-milan/

Michael Rielly
1 hour ago, Viking Santa said:

Hmm. How well did that work for Dr. Who? 

The people demanding change aren't always the customers.

Ratings are plummeting

• Like 2

Big-Un

My short reply is an EMPHATIC NO! Poles can be skewed to show any answer wanted just by "slyly" manipulating the questions and by selecting from the demographics of your expected audience.

i just applied for a loan and was asked "..are you male, female or other..." so the gender neutral folks are working very hard to eliminate any semblance of who we are born as. This world is going nuts, like in "as in the days of Noah."

• Like 4

SCSanta

My wife retired last year after working for the Labor Department for 28 years and loved to use this example to explain how unreliable and arbitrary statistics can be...

"A person with one foot in a bucket of ice water and the other foot in a bucket of boiling water is statistically comfortable."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

SantaDBC
Posted (edited)

The hospital called Friday for pre-check-in and asked my wife “What was your gender at birth”

Some in this country have gone completely nutty, and want to drag the rest of us into their delusions.

Oh bother said Pooh Bear.

Oh bother!😔

Edited by SantaDBC
  • Like 4

Santa Bruce Geron

Just a couple comments.

1. My Mum filled in as Santa for a Boy Scout's Christmas Party once when I was young. She did this because the fathers were not into "the Santa thing", including my own father. I was a member of that Cub pack. None of my friends realized it was her and it turned out to be a great party.

2. Statistical Research and Surveys - In my experience with stats and surveys, Intro to Grad Studies, we were constantly told that the size of the survey pool give credibility to the study. From what I have see with this survey the pool was very small for the size of this topic. I don't know how many of my clients want to see me show-up showing off full sleeves of tats and other contemporary fads.

I have more comments, but my wife encourages me to use my filter, even with family. Yes, you are family.

I think, and hope this will pass. It looks like the news room was in need of a fast Holiday story.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Felix Estridge

A true story from my past.  At one point, we moved to my home town in Mississippi to live with my mother and help her as she was fighting colon cancer.  While there, we took our children to see Santa at a local hair salon's event.  The boys had a great time, according to my wife.  I was working and could not be there.  Reana, telling me later about the experience, says that once they were done and were in the car to leave, our oldest said to her, "Mom.  Santa was a girl."  My wife said that she was shocked at this statement as she never looked Santa over well and was visiting with others more & the boys' while visiting with Santa than paying any attention to "him."  She asked of Cory, "How did you know that?"  His reply was, "Santa had fingernail polish on her fingernails under the gloves and she had large bumps on her chest."  This kid was 7 years old and had always been observant.  She showed me the pictures and Santa also had a long, false eyelashes and mascara.  It was definitely a woman that had dressed as Santa but the execution was lacking.

SCSanta

I finally had a chance to look at the survey and the difference is in the details. The survey pre-supposes that Santa needs to be modernized and/or re-branded. All of the choices target a modernization of Santa. Despite the leading questions and options provided, a majority (in many cases a VAST majority) of the respondents replied none of the above or no changes. That is fairly telling when you consider this is a tongue-in-cheek type survey that was really looking at eliciting more provocative responses from a narrow target audience.

• Like 4

Kevin Haislip

I have read the articles that report on this design firms survey about a female or gender neutral Santa.  There are several issues that come to mind.

Most of us who are older see great value in traditions.  There may be times when traditions should be changed, but it is dangerous to just arbitrarily change one, and more particularly so when a tradition is so endearing and represents charity, love, hope and joy.  The only hope I can see in changing this tradition is to eliminate all references to Santa in the future.  People will not likely embrace a different Santa.  His traditional persona is so endearing.  On tradition alone, I would stand firmly with the male Santa and him being an older, wiser and compassionate man.

But there is also the issue of history.  History clearly records that St. Nicholas, from whom we have our Santa of today and many of his stories and legends, was a man of great generosity and love and truth.  He loved children, cared for the poor and did so with as much anonymity as he could.  He was a Christian whose life exampled Jesus in so many ways.  To simply change the Santa of history to make him contemporary and culturally reflective is a blatant lie and a curse.  Our culture does not widely embrace gender neutrality.  Any time history is tampered with and changed leaves open the door for all that is bad and corrupt.  If nothing can be counted on as being true, then there is no credibility and substance of truth.  And that is a great causality.

Which really leads me to my third point.  I have worked as a missionary for most of my life and have seen great generosity and love expressed by both men and women.  I have also seen great examples of stinginess and hoarding by both men and women.  To say that women are more generous than men is only on a case by case basis and probably has no basis in truth in a wider view.

Lastly, the small sampling of respondents to this survey make me question it's true value. The survey does not detail out the age groupings and genders (and subgenders if any) of the participants and it appears that most of the respondents were in large central urban areas in major metropolitan areas.  A survey could have 80% respondents 18-30, and the rest be older as an example.  But this is not clear.  If this be the case, the numbers are greatly skewed and not at all reflective.  It certainly is not reflective of middle-America.

Traditions establish a framework for people as they mature.  One cannot change things and say it is so if it is not.  I've heard often the line that perspective is everything.  But there are realities and history that show that truth and facts trump (I hate using this word here, but it fits) perspective.  Just because someone wants to believe it is so does not make it true or right.

Personally, I would like to see more Mrs. Clauses.  It is a good example for all to see love and generosity poured out by both genders.  But the Mrs. Claus should not supplant Santa.

• Like 1

Desert Santa
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SCSanta said:

I finally had a chance to look at the survey and the difference is in the details. The survey pre-supposes that Santa needs to be modernized and/or re-branded. All of the choices target a modernization of Santa. Despite the leading questions and options provided, a majority (in many cases a VAST majority) of the respondents replied none of the above or no changes. That is fairly telling when you consider this is a tongue-in-cheek type survey that was really looking at eliciting more provocative responses from a narrow target audience.

Vast Majority of People Want Santa to Remain the Same

Wow!  I had to follow three links to actually get to the data.  Again, statistics can lie depending upon how you spin it.  The article could have been: "Vast Majority of People Want Santa to Remain the Same" (since in every category of changing Santa, about 72% did not want any changes).   But we all know that news these days has to be "sensational" or "shocking" or else no one will read it.  So, they try to spin it to shock people into reading/viewing the article.

Edited by Desert Santa
  • Like 2

rdpugh

This article is not about women putting on a Santa suit and taking the effort to appear as Santa should, or about dressing as Mrs. Claus.  This is about Santa not being a male anymore, not Mrs. Claus, just not male.

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.