Drosselmeyer

Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move, fast. And we don’t know why

Drosselmeyer

Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move, fast. And we don’t know why

News Corp Australia Network
Jamie Seidel
January 11, 2019

Earth’s magnetic field is what allows us to exist. It deflects harmful radiation. It keeps our water and atmosphere in place. But now it’s acting up — and nobody knows why.

EXCERPT:

f5e59011d37e9b8c697fd87d9e183bf5?width=6

Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood — rivers of molten iron — pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras — and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

It’s causing the magnetic North Pole to ‘skitter’ away from Canada, towards Siberia.

“The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world’s geomagnetism experts into a rare move,” Nature reports.

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realised in 2018 that the model had to be fixed — now.

“They realised that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,” Nature reports.

FICKLE TIDES

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earth’s magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earth’s core does not move in a consistent manner.

“In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,” Nature reports.

This shift was captured by satellites.

SOURCE: https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/earths-magnetic-pole-is-on-the-move-fast-and-we-dont-know-why/news-story/341c92307a6b19d25b38836c6097be9d

Edited by Michael Rielly
EDITED for news format
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

Santa Dan

I have read that the magnetic poles have switched several times in the earths past and that we may have another switch coming up due to the solar flares that are ramping up from the sun.

almost like the our daily lives, what was once up is now down and what is down is now up.

Will the real Magnetic North stand up!

• Like 3

Drosselmeyer

it's @Schwindy's fault.....    :sc_rofl:

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

Schwindy
7 minutes ago, Drosselmeyer said:

it's @Schwindy's fault.....    :sc_rofl:

Again

image.png.7561861524c408d639074e8496273be3.png

image.png.eceb526b6664eaeb9a7eeee02c0e2227.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hubcity Santa

I’ve read similar articles that thinks the poles are starting to switch and that’s what’s causing weather, tides, and the such to be in such constant flux. 

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer

this showed up in my newsfeed today - this magnetic stuff is wild - for example - this article is posted today at 6PM - even though it is just now lunchtime - a post from the future !!!  :santa_shocked:   the polar shift has warped time !!!!  

But it is pretty cool to see how the pole has moved....

Scientists warn Earth's magnetic North Pole has begun moving 'erratically' at speeds so fast they are having to issue an emergency update to maps used by electronic navigation systems

Daily Mail . com      

Monday, January 14, 2019 @ 6PM

by: Marc Prigg

8381258-6579515-image-a-49_1547163901058

The most recent version of the model came out in 2015, and it was supposed to last until 2020.

However, researchers say the  magnetic field is changing so rapidly that they have to fix the model urgently.  

It was due to be updated on the 15th January, but due to the US Government shutdown, that has already been delayed until the 30th.

'It's moving at about 50 km (30 miles) a year. It didn't move much between 1900 and 1980 but it's really accelerated in the past 40 years,' Ciaran Beggan, of the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, told Reuters on Friday. 

The magnetic field is in a permanent state of flux. 

Magnetic north wanders, and every few hundred thousand years the polarity flips so that a compass would point south instead of north.  

LINK:     https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6579515/Scientists-warn-Earths-magnetic-North-Pole-begun-moving-erratically-speeds-50km-year.html

• Wow 2

SantaDBC
On 1/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, Santa Dan said:

I have read that the magnetic poles have switched several times in the earths past and that we may have another switch coming up due to the solar flares that are ramping up from the sun.

almost like the our daily lives, what was once up is now down and what is down is now up.

Will the real Magnetic North stand up!

WOW!

I just finished reading William R. Forstchen’s new book titled “48 Hours”, it talks about the sun erupting and it’s a worst case scenario. 

He also wrote “One Second After”, a New York Times best seller, with 2 follow up books.

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer
18 hours ago, Schwindy said:

I think I'm gonna stick with my previous theory.....

"it's @Schwindy's fault !" . . .      :sc_rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mervyn The Hired Hand

Actually, James Lovelock has a theory of Gaia that may be relevant. I'll see if I can summarize it here soon.

Mervyn The Hired Hand

James Lovelock is an independent scientist, inventor and author, now 98 years old, with degrees in chemistry, medicine and biophysics. He worked on the NASA planetary exploration program on methods of detecting life on Mars. He has filed over 50 patents, mostly for instrumentation used in chemical analysis. Smart guy.

One of his many inventions was the electron capture detector which refined gas chromatography instrumentation and revealed that pesticide residues such as PCBs are present in tissues of all creatures on earth, even in remote areas where we think they should not be. This included the discovery of PAN (peroxyacetyl nitrate), a toxic chemical in smog; and the detection and measurement of CFCs in the atmosphere that deplete the ozone layer. This allowed Rachel Carson to write Silent Spring, about the overuse of chemicals in the environment.

In 1965, while working at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Lovelock had occasion to view the earth from space (the famous ‘Blue Marble” photo from the Apollo Mission). He marveled at an atmosphere comprised of “a strange mixture of unstable, almost combustible gases” that “somehow always keeps constant in composition.” He reasoned that to keep constant, something must be regulating it and that somehow life at the surface must be involved.

From this Lovelock developed the Gaia Hypothesis, now called the Gaia Theory, that the entire surface of the Earth, including life, is a self-regulating entity, that all life and the material parts of the Earth’s surface make up a single global ecosystem, a kind of meta-organism: a living planet. Lovelock says: “Gaia is the superorganism composed of all life tightly coupled with the air, the oceans and the surface rocks.”

The Gaia Theory is that the Earth is a kind of living organism, something able to regulate its climate and composition so as always to be comfortable for the organisms that inhabit it. Keeping it suitable for life. Those organisms participate in regulating the climate, and some of them, humans, have the ability to disrupt it. Lovelock does not argue that this living organism is sentient, that it can think. He argues only that it has the ability to achieve homeostasis—a self-imposed balance—a stable ecosystem made of unstable parts. This is based on a series of as yet only partly understood stimulus/response mechanisms. Seems kinda far out there, but the theory has gained supporting evidence and scientific credibility in recent years.

Lovelock also discovered a great cycle in which phytoplankton in the oceans produce volatile sulphur compounds that act as seeds forming oceanic clouds which cool the atmosphere. Without these dimethyl sulphide "seeds," the cooling oceanic clouds would not form. It is now widely believed that phytoplankton that produce dimethyl sulfide are responsive to variations in climate temperature, and these responses produce a negative feedback loop that has acted to stabilize the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere over eons of time.

That is, when the atmosphere gets warmer, more dimethyl sulfide is produced; when it gets cooler, less is produced. However, the capacity of ocean clouds to cool the Earth has limits which may be exceeded by human activity that excessively warms the atmosphere with greater amounts of greenhouse gases.

In this manner, a new science of Geophysiology was born. Evidence to support the Gaia Theory is found in many places, including the fact that since life started on Earth, the energy provided by the sun has increased by 25% to 30%, but the surface temperature of the Earth has remained within levels suitable for life. This is attributed to the Earth's ability to moderate climate change to maintain a more-or-less stable environment.

Ages of Gaia (1988) was written by Lovelock mostly for scientists and contains a catalog of evidence that the global ecosystem regulates the climate, and perhaps the oceans. This book stimulated a great deal of scientific research, most of which has tended to verify Lovelock’s theory, some has extended it further, and some has reached other conclusions. None has yet refuted it.

That book was followed by Homage to Gaia (2000), which summarized the research in less scientific and more human terms. In the Revenge of Gaia (2006), Lovelock suggested that human populations might not fare so well if we continue to pour excessive amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

In The Vanishing Face of Gaia (2010), Lovelock argued that the earth is lurching ever closer to a permanent “hot state” and there is nothing humans can do to reverse the process. He said the planet is simply too overpopulated to halt its destruction by greenhouse gases. Pessimistic. Earth will adjust to these stresses, but on time scales measured in the hundreds of millennia. Lovelock argued that, in order to survive, humankind will have to start preparing for life on a radically changed planet, where tropical areas are too hot for life, and human migration to polar regions will be necessary.

Could get crowded if everyone has to move in with Santa at the North Pole. But he will certainly have a lot more elves to help make toys. Santa will need expended accommodations and food service...

In his most recent, and probably his last book,  A Rough Ride to the Future (2014), Lovelock recanted this prediction and offered an alternative, suggesting that humanity has the capacity to become the sentient, intelligent part of Gaia, and act in a manner that prevents an Uninhabitable Earth like the one forecast in 2019 by David Wallace-Wells in his book by the same name. But now Lovelock is more optimistic. However, this would require radical changes in human behavior world wide, including moderation of our reliance on fossil fuels and greater reliance on alternative energy technologies.

It is conceivable that changes in the geomagnetic polar orientations might be a further attempt by Gaia to adapt to surface changes on the Earth, but I haven’t seen anything about that yet. It would be a major extrapolation of the Gaia Theory to include subsurface events if any evidence is found to support this idea.

Is Gaia on the move, adapting to occurrences on the surface of the Earth using subsurface rivers of molten magma? Possibly. We don't know. But just imagine....

BluePlanetSmallFile.jpg

• Wow 1

Schwindy
Posted (edited)
On 1/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, Drosselmeyer said:

I think I'm gonna stick with my previous theory.....

"it's @Schwindy's fault !" . . .      :sc_rofl:

You do know when "going with a theory" one needs to have A THEORY

So is it "The Schwindy theory of Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move"

OR is it just

"Schwindy's Fault theory"?

As my attorney has asked me for 
"More clarification" on
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE! 
:sc_rofl:

Edited by Schwindy
  • Haha 1

Drosselmeyer
7 hours ago, Schwindy said:

You do know when "going with a theory" one needs to have A THEORY

very well....

you want a theory - I will give you a theory.....

after moments of extensive research - I have discovered that there were only 3 Schwindenhammer families living in the USA between 1880 and 1920 - all in Illinois.  They were all vineyardists.  Since vines grow grapes and grapes are full of water which are electroconductive - it is my theory that when one side of the family vineyard got more water the density of the grapes pulled the earth's magnetic pole in that direction.  This theory is further supported by the concept that Illinois is shaped funny and would therefore enhanced that effect !  Since all of @Schwindy's hydrangeas are now planted along one side of the house, it therefore it stands to reason that when he waters his garden he is responsible for making the earth turn sideways !!!  

cassini_flip.png      How is that for a theory ?!

I would also note that "Schwindy" is - according to the urban dictionary - a term of endearment for someone who is generally considered kind and considerate.  So I do not anticipate that this manipulation of the earths axis of rotation is in any way malicious.  In fact, I would further hypothesize that it is to augment the flight trajectory of the jolly fat man on his travels in late December !!!

Thanks for looking out for us, brother !!

Now - all that thinking made my head hurt - I'm going to get a cup of coffee....

• Haha 2

Schwindy
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

very well....

you want a theory - I will give you a theory.....

after moments of extensive research - I have discovered that there were only 3 Schwindenhammer families living in the USA between 1880 and 1920 - all in Illinois.  They were all vineyardists.  Since vines grow grapes and grapes are full of water which are electroconductive - it is my theory that when one side of the family vineyard got more water the density of the grapes pulled the earth's magnetic pole in that direction.  This theory is further supported by the concept that Illinois is shaped funny and would therefore enhanced that effect !  Since all of @Schwindy's hydrangeas are now planted along one side of the house, it therefore it stands to reason that when he waters his garden he is responsible for making the earth turn sideways !!!  

cassini_flip.png      How is that for a theory ?!

I would also note that "Schwindy" is - according to the urban dictionary - a term of endearment for someone who is generally considered kind and considerate.  So I do not anticipate that this manipulation of the earths axis of rotation is in any way malicious.  In fact, I would further hypothesize that it is to augment the flight trajectory of the jolly fat man on his travels in late December !!!

Thanks for looking out for us, brother !!

Now - all that thinking made my head hurt - I'm going to get a cup of coffee....

You posted this 6 hours ago, I'm in the same time zone as you! No wonder this ALMOST MAKES SENSES! After showing this to the guy on TV who says "I TAKE EVERY CASE, no matter how big or small" Attorney Vinny told me to and I quote "GET OFF MY PORCH AND LEAVE ME ALONE" 

Guess it was TOO SMALL A CASE so I'm back to square one and just enjoying your non sense!Image result for Cartoon Minions rolling on the floor laughing

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 3

Drosselmeyer
On 4/5/2019 at 10:07 PM, Schwindy said:

"The Schwindy theory of Earth’s magnetic pole is on the move"

OR is it just

"Schwindy's Fault theory"?

As my attorney has asked me for 
"More clarification" on
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE! 
:sc_rofl:

magnet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TamaleClaus

"Scratching my head",  Think I'm going to have to find someone more intelligent to explain this to me? 

Anyone know a 5 year old that could assist me with this complex topic, in understanding it, since this is over my head.

• Haha 1

Santa Bruce Geron

So, Mount Everest will be the new North Pole?

• Haha 1

Santa D

In studying the "It's Schwindy's Fault" theory, I got to pondering, would the earth actually shift it's axis point with the changing of the magnetic north?  As magnetic north has never been true north. 

So what would cause earth to tilt from it's current axis to the example displayed in the "It's Schwindy's Fault" theory?  And after multiple minutes of intense thought and exhausting moments of nonscientific research, I have come to the conclusion that we need to sent all of the fat people to Antarctica if we are going to stop this global catastrophe from becoming reality.  

Wow now I am so fatigued that I need a cookie and some ice cream.

And then I will be applying for a government grant to further my study into this dilemma. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Drosselmeyer
51 minutes ago, Santa D said:

In studying the "It's Schwindy's Fault" theory, I got to pondering, would the earth actually shift it's axis point with the changing of the magnetic north?  As magnetic north has never been true north. 

So what would cause earth to tilt from it's current axis to the example displayed in the "It's Schwindy's Fault" theory?  And after multiple minutes of intense thought and exhausting moments of nonscientific research, I have come to the conclusion that we need to sent all of the fat people to Antarctica if we are going to stop this global catastrophe from becoming reality.  

Wow now I am so fatigued that I need a cookie and some ice cream.

And then I will be applying for a government grant to further my study into this dilemma. 

a sound conclusion to be sure - but it must be done carefully - imagine if too many of the test subjects arrived at one airport (like Ft Lauderdale) all at the same time - that in itself could cause a catastrophic tilt . . . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Santa D
16 minutes ago, Drosselmeyer said:

a sound conclusion to be sure - but it must be done carefully - imagine if too many of the test subjects arrived at one airport (like Ft Lauderdale) all at the same time - that in itself could cause a catastrophic tilt . . . 

Very valid point.  This would have to be a careful and orderly forced migration from widely separated points of deportation.  And it would have to be carefully monitored with highly sensitive scientific equipment, strategically located throughout the world, to insure that an even distribution is accomplished with out causing any undesirable wobble in the earths rotation.  When I receive my multi million dollar grant, I may have to consider hiring you on as a strategic consultant.

• Like 2

Drosselmeyer
44 minutes ago, Santa D said:

Very valid point.  This would have to be a careful and orderly forced migration from widely separated points of deportation.  And it would have to be carefully monitored with highly sensitive scientific equipment, strategically located throughout the world, to insure that an even distribution is accomplished with out causing any undesirable wobble in the earths rotation.  When I receive my multi million dollar grant, I may have to consider hiring you on as a strategic consultant.

it would be my humble honor to serve in that capacity . . .

but might I also suggest some position of prestige for our notable namesake @Schwindy ??  

Perhaps the name "The Schwindenhammer Institute of Geo-Magnetic Polar Studies"

OK - too much thinking - now I too need cookies and ice cream....

• Like 2

TamaleClaus

We will be sorry to see the 3 of you leaving.  My guess is that 3 of you will be too busy sitting on the beach on some tropic island having your every care taken care of, and too busy for associating with all the "working" people of Clausnet.

All the thought that is going to be needed, and of course sailing all around the world, observing the changing world that the magnetic changes are causing, and of course it will be a LONG time observing and studying at each location.  Your study should not last more than 20-30 years if your lucky.

WOW, happy for your change in occupation and all good luck on your scientific endevors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Santa D
38 minutes ago, Drosselmeyer said:

"The Schwindenhammer Institute of Geo-Magnetic Polar Studies"

I Like It!!!   🌍

• Like 3

bllwnkl

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34 NIV)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Drosselmeyer

don't worry @TamaleClaus and @bllwnkl

you can certainly join me and @Schwindy and @Santa D as we study and explore the wonders of creation !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.