Michael Rielly

Dallas-Fort Worth's most enchanting holiday lights display will go dark for 2019

Michael Rielly

Dallas-Fort Worth's most enchanting holiday lights display will go dark for 2019

dallas.culturemap.com
By Stephanie Allmon Merry
Jun 10, 2019

262039_original.jpg

EXCERPT:

One of the merriest and most popular holiday events in Dallas-Fort Worth will skip this year's yuletide. Enchant: World's Largest Christmas Light Maze & Market, which has illuminated Arlington for two holiday seasons, is going dark for 2019.

Event organizers dropped the news like a lump of coal in a Facebook post June 9, saying:

"Texas! Due to stadium renovations at Globe Life Park, Enchant Christmas will not be returning to Arlington this holiday season. We have been humbled by the warm reception of thousands of Texans who have attended Enchant these past two years."

In less than 24 hours, the post had generated about 200 comments — local folks expressing disappointment, remembering good times there, and suggesting new locations for the event.

Enchant is a touring holiday experience from Canada that made its U.S. debut outside Globe Life Park in Arlington in 2017.

Guests could get lost in the world's largest light maze; take photos around the largest Christmas tree in North Texas; glide around the ice-skating pond; or waltz through the Enchant Christmas Market with over 85 vendors, including Arlington favorite Texas Christkindl Market Lane, which became a part of the Enchant experience. 

In its first year, Enchant quickly became a favorite outing for families, couples on dates, and Instagrammers seeking for the perfect holiday selfie.

In 2018, the event moved inside Globe Life Park, with a new holiday theme; an updated adventure in the light maze; and a larger, dazzling Artisans’ Market. A magical ice skating trail was added; Santa and Mrs. Claus made nightly appearances; and guests could reserve luxury suites of at the park for private, VIP experiences.

More than 600,000 people visited the attraction in two cities — Arlington and Vancouver — in 2018, the company says. In 2019, the event will go on display in Seattle; St. Petersburg, Florida; and Washington, D.C., according to its website.

Between the building of the Rangers' new ballpark, Globe Life Field, and ongoing work on the adjacent Texas Live complex, the area where Enchant took place the past two years is mired in construction. Globe Life Field is scheduled to open in March 2020.

Enchant organizers have not yet revealed their Texas plans for 2020, but they hint in Facebook comments that are are looking for new opportunities in new areas — not necessarily just in Arlington.

"Rest assured, we hope to bring a brand new adventure to the Dallas-Fort Worth region for the 2020 holiday season!" their Facebook post says. "We will post updates regarding our return to Texas when they become available, so don’t be a stranger. In the meantime, keep an eye out for some upcoming big news and an extra special nod to our friends in Texas when 2019 Enchant Christmas tickets go on sale on September 17!"

SOURCE: http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/06-10-19-enchant-christmas-lights-display-goes-dark-arlington-christmas-2019-globe-life-park/

• Sad 2

Drosselmeyer

We had the chance to see the Osbourne Light Display at EPCOT before it was retired - it was pretty amazing - hopefully this one will come back . . . 

• Like 1

Santa Johnny Boy

These type of events are becoming more and more popular for Santa to reside; the mall trend might be fading...

Chris Capstone
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

These type of events are becoming more and more popular for Santa to reside; the mall trend might be fading...

I agree. Although some malls remain healthy, a large number of them are struggling and will close over the next 10 years. These types of events present an opportunity to preformers who want to break away from the mall photo companies. 

Edited by Chris Capstone
  • Like 1

Black River Santa
12 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

I read in an interesting article recently, that the tweens and teens of the current generation are saving the malls, which is why you see so many of the stores that cater to them taking over mall space. My 14 year old daughter and her friends prefer shopping at brick-and-mortar stores and the mall, to shopping online - so perhaps there is hope for the mall. Another article suggests that the traditional mall Santa visit will be replaced by Santa Strolls throughout the mall, with selfie opportunities, much as many of the shopping/business districts in small towns are doing now. 

• Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy
11 hours ago, Black River Santa said:

I read in an interesting article recently, that the tweens and teens of the current generation are saving the malls, which is why you see so many of the stores that cater to them taking over mall space. My 14 year old daughter and her friends prefer shopping at brick-and-mortar stores and the mall, to shopping online - so perhaps there is hope for the mall. Another article suggests that the traditional mall Santa visit will be replaced by Santa Strolls throughout the mall, with selfie opportunities, much as many of the shopping/business districts in small towns are doing now. 

A few malls in my area have closed but the higher end malls are still open.  These are the ones that take reservations to see Santa and have expensive photo packages.

I like the idea of the strolling Santa, seems like almost everybody wants a Selfie with Santa.

• Like 2

SCSanta
11 hours ago, Black River Santa said:

.<snip> Another article suggests that the traditional mall Santa visit will be replaced by Santa Strolls throughout the mall, with selfie opportunities, much as many of the shopping/business districts in small towns are doing now. <snip>

26 minutes ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

<snip>
I like the idea of the strolling Santa, seems like almost everybody wants a Selfie with Santa. <snip>

I also enjoy the strolling Santa. But having a handler/crowd control person is vital...much like a Disney Character at a theme park. I do several hybrid events each year (craft shows-holiday markets-retail/restaurant gigs-corporate events) where I have a chair and a photo drop, but I also wander to mingle with guests and customers and vendors.

• Like 3

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 31 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.