Drosselmeyer

Should Santa Claus Still Be Fat ?

Drosselmeyer

Should Santa Claus still be fat?

By Jacque Wilson, CNN

Updated 9:07 AM ET, Thu December 25, 2014

Roy Pickler, a professional Santa, dropped 88 pounds on "The Biggest Loser."
Roy Pickler lay on the floor, dripping with sweat, as trainer Bob Harper quipped, "You look like you got run over by a reindeer."
Pickler's job as a professional Santa was a constant joke when he was a contestant on "The Biggest Loser." With his long white beard and protruding stomach, the 63-year-old looked every bit the part he played.
By the time he was voted off the show, Pickler had lost 88 pounds. During his elimination interview, he donned a Santa hat and told viewers his toned physique wouldn't stop him from bringing Christmas joy to children.
"The world is going to have to change their acceptance of what Santa looks like," Pickler said. "Santa is a role model, and kids don't want to have a role model that's fat."

Source:    https://www.cnn.com/2012/12/22/health/santa-claus-weight/index.html

• Like 1

Black Hills Santa

I have come to believe that, perhaps, children do not pay that much attention to Santa's girth. Now, if Santa was a super slim fellow, I am sure a child would say something. yet, as long as he's not super slim, I just don't think kids mind much.

I remember when we lived in New York, there was an African American Santa one year. Any idea what children said when they saw him? "Santa Claus". If children do not see color, I just don't think they'll see a slimmer version of Santa as an issue.

Edited by Black Hills Santa
  • Like 6

Santa Phelix

Yes ,  Santa Claus should be fat ,   Santa can have a robe or shirt and or vest but some things are essential, fat , plump , a belly ,  a  beard, a red and white suit with belt.   Should Santa Claus have beard?   YES   Lets Move it up a notch and ask can Santa Claus be a woman?   NO   Here are the answers for the confused , Santa Claus is fat, now if he decided for health reasons to change his appearance they still sell belly suits , does he have to have a beard ?  Yes and can Santa Claus be a woman NO     but I am old fashion , believe in God , I believe in right and wrong, and penalties if you do wrong  however I am becoming a Dinosaur.   

Edited by Santa Phelix
  • Like 8

Black River Santa

Kurt Russell's portrayal in The Christmas Chronicles certainly made a statement regarding the issue but I'm not sure if it will catch on. I will be a skinnier Santa this year due to doctor's orders but still dress out at around 260, so definitely not a slim version yet.

Edited by Black River Santa
addendum
  • Like 4

Felix Estridge

I don't think the portrayer necessarily has to be fat, but the character is "chubby and plump."  So I agree with @Santa Phelix in that he should be padded out to look that way.

But...the other side of that is the smoking of a pipe that has almost completely disappeared if not all the way disappeared.

And THAT...perception...is what we are dealing with.  Children's perception of the world is formed by their parents/guardians.  And parents/guardians are ultimately our target audience.

• Like 7

Schwindy

Though NOTHING has changed or did I miss an update to Twas the Night B/4 Christmas? It is what the many of us try to emulate to a point, that being said I would understand NOT wanting to be smoking a pipe in today's day and age.  

• His eyes how they twinkled
  • His cheeks were like roses
  • His nose like a cherry
  • His beard on his chin as white as the snow
  • He had a broad face, and a little round belly that shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly
  • you guys and girls know the rest

So I would say YES we should try to look like what has been written but as many have said THEY MAKE PADDING for those of us whom may need it and make up for the rosy red cheeks and the cherry nose.

BUT THE ONES WHO NOTICE THE MOST I HAVE FOUND TO BE THE ADULTS! And they use there heads NEVER and say what they are thinking and expect an answer while trying in my opinion to "trip up Santa". Boy Santa looks a little under weight or boy what happen to Santa he looks lighter this year. I have seen and heard it here for quite sometime from the many here.

I would try to pad up and out and to make it look believable but a 6' tall man weighing in around 200 lbs I would think isn't skinny so anything over 200 I think could be seen with being jolly and I know me personally @ 6' 210 I will be wearing padding ... a little bit just so the belly appears to shake and jiggle. BUT that's just me. 

If your a big guy I believe it's easier to pull it off, but for the guys whom might be shorter and in shape or just a little heavy I believe they would have more trouble pulling it off without the padding.

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 7

bllwnkl

Well, coming from a new Santa, most of the comments are referring to a poem. The writer states "little round belly". He did say little. But, in a popular cartoon, Mrs. Claus says "Who ever heard of a skinny Santa?" "EAT!" And then there many movies that show a heavy Santa but not all of them did.

We are going by other's ideas of what they think Santa should look like. Look at how Haddon Sundblom depicted Santa in the Coke ads. These all are images that have evolved since the days of Saint Nicholas. The thing is, everyone else has been subjected to the same poem, movies, cartoons, advertising, etc.

Now, take a good hard look at the hundreds, no wait, thousands of Santa portrayals. There's every shape and size you could ever imagine. And, many are very, very successful Santas.

So, should Santa be fat? What is fat? How big is fat? What is fat enough? I don't want to be any "bigger", okay, fatter than I am now (5' 10" 250), and I'm not going to tell anyone else that they are too fat or not fat enough.

I was told by veterans on this forum that I need to portray the image of Santa that I feel is right in my mind. That may change as things develop along my journey. We'll see.

But let's face it, this is one of those questions that can be debated until it has been beaten to death, and there won't be one accepted answer.

• Like 3

rdpugh
3 hours ago, Schwindy said:

If your a big guy I believe it's easier to pull it off, but for the guys whom might be shorter and in shape or just a little heavy I believe they would have more trouble pulling it off without the padding.

6'4" and 320.  Never will be accused of being a skinny Santa, but I certainly have more up top than I do around the middle.  When I'm in shirt and vest, I hear quite often that Santa is looking fit.  Especially if I'm standing.

Ok, now I'm just showing off but it's the best picture I have that really shows how I'm built.  😄
ZSiyS0m.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 3

bllwnkl
2 minutes ago, rdpugh said:

6'4" and 320.  Never will be accused of being a skinny Santa, but I certainly have more up top than I do around the middle.  When I'm in shirt and vest, I hear quite often that Santa is looking fit.  Especially if I'm standing.

Ok, now I'm just showing off but it's the best picture I have that really shows how I'm built.  😄
ZSiyS0m.jpg

How much weight was that?

• Like 1

rdpugh
3 minutes ago, bllwnkl said:

How much weight was that?

About 200lbs if I remember right.  

I have started seeing more Santas advertise not just as a real bearded Santa but also real bellied.  "Hire a real Santa with a real beard and a real belly."  Hate to say it, but those usually also have no lap when sitting down.

• Like 2

Tommy

In my short 4 years, children have never said anything about Santa being fat or thin.  I'm 5'11 and 230 pounds.  I have had a few, and it is only a few, adults comment that Santa is a little thin.  My response has always been, "Well, Mrs. Claus wants me to take better care of myself."  That seems to end it on a positive note and usually gets a grin. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

bllwnkl
6 minutes ago, rdpugh said:

That's impressive.

• Like 2

bllwnkl
7 minutes ago, rdpugh said:

I have started seeing more Santas advertise not just as a real bearded Santa but also real bellied.  "Hire a real Santa with a real beard and a real belly."  Hate to say it, but those usually also have no lap when sitting down.

To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

TamaleClaus
1 hour ago, rdpugh said:

Santa is not suit, hat, beard, belly, but what is in the heart.  It's not whether you weigh 120lb or 420.  Either 4'6" tall or 6'8" tall or anywhere in between.  What is attitude, heart,  sorry for soap box, but a caustic Santa NO ONE needs.  It's for the children at heart, whether 2 or 92 year old kids

Edited by TamaleClaus
  • Like 3

Schwindy
2 hours ago, TamaleClaus said:

Santa is not suit, hat, beard, belly, but what is in the heart.  It's not whether you weigh 120lb or 420.  Either 4'6" tall or 6'8" tall or anywhere in between.  What is attitude, heart,  sorry for soap box, but a caustic Santa NO ONE needs.  It's for the children at heart, when 2 or 92 year old kids

Mark: My friend, I agree with your comments but I'd like to add this to your point. If one was the total opposite end of the spectrum. The lighter side; taking your 4'6" but lets go 5' frame and then only have 120 lbs on that frame and that man doesn't pad up. I'd be very curious to see how much "work" he gets. There are some here who are lighter and do a really great job padding out and up. I think it does help with one when they portray. Yes when you walk out the door ONE MUST BE SANTA, but in the question asked to us "Should Santa Claus still be fat?" I believe with this question we could be walking down the road of political correctness and I hate P. C. when I think there are too many props out there to help us all portray Santa Claus, and do it well. 

I feel being or looking a little over weight is as important as not wearing the plastic boot covers to cover up ones pair of white sneakers because they just haven't gone out and tried to get any kind of pair of boots yet? Or they just didn't pay attention to details is what I'd think if I saw this.

SO no, it's NOT killer important to be heavy, but to the many who portray Santa Claus ..... The Heart, the Love and the Joy MUST BE FIRST and foremost; Then it's time to work on all the other things to "help" with that portrayal. Just my opinion and I hope you're hearing me and NOT THINKING I'M ripping your answer, just adding to it to how I see it. 

As you know because I sent you the email, I'm not playing this year because I believe I won't LOOK THE PART because of my clothing and it no longer fitting me, as well as my health issues. I could still go out, I could easily sit for photos with Santa and the pets. I could even do the at home visits and just keep pulling up the pants, tighten up the shirt and vest. But I choose not to worry this year because I feel I won't look the part and THAT'S me talking so if I feel I won't look the part, I probably won't sell the part either.

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 3

TamaleClaus
16 minutes ago, Schwindy said:

SO no, it's NOT killer important to be heavy, but to the many who portray Santa Claus ..... The Heart, the Love and the Joy MUST BE FIRST and foremost; Then it's time to work on all the other things to "help" with that portrayal. Just my opinion and I hope you're hearing me and NOT THINKING I'M ripping your answer, just adding to it to how I see it. 

As you know because I sent you the email, I'm not playing this year because I believe I won't LOOK THE PART because of my clothing and it no longer fitting me, as well as my health issues. I could still go out, I could easily sit for photos with Santa and the pets. I could even do the at home visits and just keep pulling up the pants, tighten up the shirt and vest. But I choose not to worry this year because I feel I won't look the part and THAT'S me talking so if I feel I won't look the part, I probably won't sell the part either.

No offense, no issues with what you have said.  Agree with wanting to do our best.  Thanks for explaining further.  Just didn't explain myself as well as I might have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Schwindy
1 minute ago, TamaleClaus said:

No offense, no issues with what you have said.  Agree with wanting to do our best.  Thanks for explaining further.  Just didn't explain myself as well as I might have.

Love ya BROTHER & thanks for getting ME AND WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY!

• Like 2

Black River Santa
10 hours ago, rdpugh said:

ZSiyS0m.jpg

Looking good Santa! I was a power lifter in the old days, mostly local gym bench press competitions. Could bench 4 and squat 5 in my late 20s'. Still hit the iron a few times a week but nothing as intense as my younger years. Keep it up - strength training is getting more respect these days as a key to longevity... and I always pictured Santa as a burly guy.

• Like 3

Drosselmeyer

well - didn't expect this one . . . 

Top 10 Ways For Santa To Gain Weight

Thursday, 17 October 2019
 b2ap3_large_Santa-on-scale.jpg

Yes, I know we are all always trying to do just the opposite. Well for Santa Claus, he has a certain look that the children have come to associate him with. A skinny Santa may have the kids asking too many questions this upcoming holiday season. Therefore, it is absolutely necessary (so we say) for Santa to start gaining those pounds. Summer is over so ditch the salads and move into some more delicious fall casseroles.

Source:  https://www.costumesforsanta.com/contact/blog/santa-gain-weight?fbclid=IwAR0d0WPDVIOSUxK1ChgJWCB0T9ppmOhldMorgclZqypODsnJ9yPPEET3LjI

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SantaJoe

Plump and jolly of course!

• Like 2

Santa Bruce Geron

Santa needs to be of good proportions. He can't be so large that he has health problems and is wheezing, but he needs to be of presence and stature that he commands attention. This is why proper fitting clothing is so important. Let's face it, he works hard in the shop, takes care of his reindeer, and is an organizational master. Being full bodied doesn't equate with a soft body.

Edited by Santa Bruce Geron
grammar
  • Like 5

Santa TJS

Santa portrayer should watch his weight but the character requires some girth and size. Stay fit and pad out to perform the character as it supposed to be.

• Like 2

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 32 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.